Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
2000 Corolla - The spark plugs were removed for the first time since I bought the car 9 years ago.

http://imgur.com/dZjIk20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Whoever put those in is an idiot for using Bosch +4s in a 1ZZ. That gunk is there because 1ZZs always burn oil.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Put some good NGKs or whatever it came with in and call it good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wonder what the rest of the car looks like if you haven't checked the plugs in nine years :v:

Get NGK's and you're probably gonna need a cap/rotor/wires as well if you haven't replaced those in nine years either.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tommychu posted:

Whoever put those in is an idiot for using Bosch +4s in a 1ZZ in any engine.

Fixed that for you.

Also, yeah, NGK or Denso plugs, don't use anything else. It came with iridium plugs from the factory - the OEM Denso ones are costly (and not usually carried by a lot of parts stores), but NGK Iridium IX are quite a bit cheaper, and they're quality. Seconding leica, get a new cap/rotor/wires while you're at it.

There's so much gunk on those plugs that they're hard to read. The second one from the top looks particularly nasty. Does it make coolant mysteriously vanish now and then?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

That engine is COP, so no cap/wires to worry about.
The later ZZs actually used NGKs from the factory for some reason (that or my PO got ripped off at some point, because I bought the Vibe about 10k km before the first plug interval and it had NGKs in it that look like they'd been in there a while)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Get rid of the gimmick +4 plugs and maybe drive it hard every now and then.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

EightBit posted:

Get rid of the gimmick +4 plugs and maybe drive it hard every now and then.

It's a corolla you don't want to scare it.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Do the pcv systems gym up on these? Might need a new valve and some hoses, that is way too much ash on there.

Granted, they are 9 years old. How's it running by the way?

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
I'm losing oil pretty fast, and lately it's been missing/idling rough. When it's in park or neutral it idles rough, someone said it sounds like it's missing. When I turn on the ac the idle rpms increase a little and it smoothes out. When I put it in drive or reverse the idle lowers and it runs very rough. When I lift my foot off the brake I have to immediately give it gas, if not it tends to stall. Sometimes at a red light it starts to idle so rough I think it'll stall, so I switch to neutral, the rpms increase and it smoothes out. There is a little delay from when I press the accelerator until it actually starts to accelerate, it's almost like it lowers rpm for a moment before finally increasing it enough to accelerate. Once I'm going it runs much more smoothly, although seems to lack some power. I've also noticed what looks like soot on the rear bumper above the exhaust.

There was another thread on here where people were helping me with a problem where it couldn't go above 60mph. That problem went away when I cleaned the MAF, tightened the hose leading from the air filter to the throttle body and replaced the air filter. I'm very new to learning about vehicles, but I'm eager to learn and to fix as much as I can on my own, or with the assistance of a friend who seems to have every tool I could ever need in his garage. I've done VERY little maintenance in the 9 years that I've owned the car, and by very little I mean a few oil changes, two air filter changes, cleaned the MAF and most recently replaced the spark plugs in the hopes that it would fix this rough idle problem(also because of the look on my friend's face when he realized I hadn't even checked the spark plugs for those 9 years).

Oh, I've already replaced the plugs with NGK Iridium IXs, if I recall correctly. That was why I took these ones out.

Another question, it was suggested that I drive it hard every now and then. Does that just mean flooring it when accelerating? Also, what exactly does driving it hard do that's beneficial?

Edit: I just a got home and noticed that it feels a little worse when the engine is warm. Also I switched to neutral once at a stop light, and it sounded like the idle speed would change a bit every few seconds.

Tsioc fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 8, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It can help blow out carbon deposits before they get big enough to cause problems.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

With the idle wavering, that sounds like you probably have a vacuum leak, or otherwise unmetered air getting into the engine. Do you hear any kind of hissing under the hood? It's also possible the idle air control valve (if it has one - I'm pretty sure that year still uses a throttle cable, so it should have one) is gummed up.

Considerer winding it out now and then as going out for a jog instead of sitting on the couch eating potato chips. Your body needs exercise, and your car needs exercise. It loosens up a lot of that built up carbon and blows it out of the exhaust, and can help keep the rings free and moving (which can prevent oil consumption from getting worse). I'm not saying drive it like you stole it every time you drive it, but stomping on it to get up to speed now and then won't hurt a thing (especially when getting on the highway; that'll give you a bit more time in the upper RPMs compared to flooring it from a stop). As long as the tach never gets into the red area, you're fine (and the ECU should cut fuel to the engine if for some reason it does get into the red).

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
The oil appears to be leaking from somewhere on the back side of the engine towards the passenger side.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

idle air control valve (if it has one - I'm pretty sure that year still uses a throttle cable, so it should have one)

Correct. DBW didn't hit these until 05. IAC clogging is unlikely though, since it's reacting well to turning the A/C on.
Vacuum leak should be easy enough to check for since these things really didn't have much in the way of emissions gear (not too familiar with the early ones but IIRC mine has evap and PCV and that's it).
Is your external oil leak leaving big stains OP? like enough to account for a big chunk of your oil consumption?
I'd like to see the results of a compression test on this thing.

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007

Tommychu posted:

Is your external oil leak leaving big stains OP? like enough to account for a big chunk of your oil consumption?

I think so, judging by the puddles, and assuming it's also dripping as I drive. I'll have to look into compression tests.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

http://www.harborfreight.com/compression-test-kit-8-pc-69885.html
If you can do plugs, you can test your compression. Just pull your fuel pump fuse, pull a plug, thread this in, crank the engine a bit, record the number, squirt a few drops of oil in the cylinder, retest, repeat for the other 3 cylinders.
Also clean up the general area of your oil leak really well, then take it for a good half hour drive and you'll be able to pinpoint where that leak is coming from.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 9, 2015

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007

Tommychu posted:

Correct. DBW didn't hit these until 05. IAC clogging is unlikely though, since it's reacting well to turning the A/C on.
Vacuum leak should be easy enough to check for since these things really didn't have much in the way of emissions gear (not too familiar with the early ones but IIRC mine has evap and PCV and that's it).

I noticed today that turning on the ac only seems to help when the engine is still cold. After I've been driving a bit and coming to a stop turning the ac off and off doesn't seem to have any effect, and a couple times turning it on actually seemed to make it vibrate a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Tommychu posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/compression-test-kit-8-pc-69885.html
If you can do plugs, you can test your compression. Just pull your fuel pump fuse, pull a plug, thread this in, crank the engine a bit, record the number, squirt a few drops of oil in the cylinder, retest, repeat for the other 3 cylinders.
Also clean up the general area of your oil leak really well, then take it for a good half hour drive and you'll be able to pinpoint where that leak is coming from.

For more consistent reading, pull all the plugs first and make sure the throttle is held open fully for each test, and crank a similar amount of time.

I believe a compression tester is also a loaner item at most parts stores.

• Locked thread