Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
prof dave nutt is worth listening to and if its based on the harm done as a percentage of users then you have to remember that the majority of poeple taking benzos aren't "abusing" them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a person addicted to taking 5mg diazepam a day, with a study supply (dr that prescribes, pharmacies with stock) is not in a dangerous position to themselves or others. the only risk is withdrawl

http://www.pharmac.govt.nz/patients...dule%2FSchedule

we buy a bittle of 500 x 5mg diaz for $13.71

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i don't have any unusual allergies but i take fexofenadine when i get bitten by mosquitos and it makes the pain gently caress right off :tipshat:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

really the same could be said of opiate addicts. recent studies seem to indicate that much in any case. if for some reason the doctor sees a contradiction, or pulls the script from under the patient (which i've seen happen), the patient is in a dire situation. i wouldn't wish benzodiazepine withdrawl on anyone, it is truly agonizing.

e. literally killed an old friend of mine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OldAlias posted:

really the same could be said of opiate addicts. recent studies seem to indicate that much in any case. if for some reason the doctor sees a contradiction, or pulls the script from under the patient (which i've seen happen), the patient is in a dire situation. i wouldn't wish benzodiazepine withdrawl on anyone, it is truly agonizing.

yes of course. chronic pain is a bit more of problem than the reasons people take benzos however. and opiate doses tend to need increasing more. i watch a girl over the space of a year get up to >500mg morphine a day. and then she had the operation and watching her come off it has been horible. she never got high from it but she definitely feels the physical dependence

jony ive aces posted:

i don't have any unusual allergies but i take fexofenadine when i get bitten by mosquitos and it makes the pain gently caress right off :tipshat:

fex is effective!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
bonjlla has limited uses, but it does its job extremely well and is the only true comfort with annoying mouth ulcers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but use something like oracort (triamciniolone with a dental paste) actually helps get the ulcer gone though. bonjella just makes it feel better for a bit

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
can't take NSAIDS... because i only have one kidney

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
waht hapned

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

echinopsis posted:

moving from a world of antihistamines into benzo and benzo-likes is moving to a much more drug dependent world

sedatives/depressants should be used very sparingly. usuall a good reason to ask why you need them rather than diving head first. the amount of sleeping tabs i dispense is insane and its very difficlut for people tog et off them

yeah I use diphenhydramine mostly as a sedative and only when I really need it, especially because of the hangover. whenever I've taken it for allergies, it's only helped in that I pass out instead of being super sneezy. topical is really good for bug bites

I forgot to mention ranitidine but I use it a lot, probably more than I should? but a few years back I started getting really bad acid reflux over night to the point that I had a constant sore throat. I think I'm somewhat dependent on it now (I've weaned off a couple times but symptoms come back) but it's better IMO than taking a proton pump inhibitor

I guess I just really like anti histamines

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

echinopsis posted:

waht hapned

got infected when i was 3 and there was nothing they could do so they took it out. im doing quite well and i'm good with my health for the most part, but there has been some things that have snuck up on me that kind of worry me like gout which i was taking allopurinol for but stopped taking it for about a year because I haven't had any attacks, heartburn which i take meds for (although temporarily stopped because i need to be tested for allergies and ranitidine affects that) and sleepiness which i take meds for

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why do u think proton pump inhibitors are good or worse or whatever

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Silver Alicorn posted:

I guess I just really like anti histamines
:agreed: they own

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
smoke weed, take ambien, get a bolt thru ur cock

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

MAXIMUM HARM is a good name for a Kickstarted 3D shooter using the Build engine.

echinopsis posted:

prof dave nutt is worth listening to

lmao yeah right so why did the government sack him if he was telling all these 'truths'!?!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

why do u think proton pump inhibitors are good or worse or whatever

I was suspicious when there were so many commercials for prilosec or w/e, and I've read your body builds a tolerance to them by growing extra stomach acid cells. so if you stop you get worse heartburn/reflux than when you started taking them in the first place

apparently doctors in the US overprescribe them when ranitidine would do just fine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
interesting tbh I don't know enough. I believe that to be the case in kids whose bodies are growing but idk in adults perhaps it's alright

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Prilosec and such don't work for me as well or at all for the kind of acid reflux i have for some reason. my doctors don't even know what's going on exactly, so it needs to be looked into more. sometimes when it gets really bad, i can feel it in my back and shoulders

btw the kidney removal stunted my growth too which still makes me look like i'm about 20, and i like to gently caress with people that assume otherwise. often this comes up in conversation that i meet for the first time "this is before your time, but..."

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Space-Pope posted:

smoke weed, take ambien, get a bolt thru ur cock

hardcore

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

an Ambienpallang, where you wake up and go WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED MY DICK LOOKS LIKE FRANKENSTEINS MONSTER

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

moreso than usual, I mean

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
this one time i had a really bad cold and i went to a gig and took ecstasy and for several hours my nose cleared the gently caress up, it owned. what was going on there

(the next week afterwards was v. bad tho lol)

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

echinopsis posted:

like most people you should start with alcohol

Oh I didn't think alcohol even counted as a drug. I already have some of that, where can I find the others?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jony ive aces posted:

this one time i had a really bad cold and i went to a gig and took ecstasy and for several hours my nose cleared the gently caress up, it owned. what was going on there

(the next week afterwards was v. bad tho lol)

because it heavily engages the sympathetic nerve response as does meth and psuedo

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
interesting thanks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flat Daddy posted:

Oh I didn't think alcohol even counted as a drug. I already have some of that, where can I find the others?

good to know
big alcohol is keeping people from thinkin the most destructive drug in our culture is even a drug at all

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

phenylephrine is some bull poo poo

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

how can i get a similar kind of focus without taking adderal?

I'm looking for a ~natural solution~

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

NoneMoreNegative posted:

an Ambienpallang, where you wake up and go WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED MY DICK LOOKS LIKE FRANKENSTEINS MONSTER

the southern cross motherfuckers

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

BONGHITZ posted:

how can i get a similar kind of focus without taking adderal?

I'm looking for a ~natural solution~

natural and focus, not wakefulness, right? discipline. you probably have to change the way you do things day to day. make reminders with notes some where you'll read it. maybe a combo of your phone and places around the house you always look, maybe your bedroom door. practicing discipline with a strict exercise schedule will help to remind you to focus throughout the day

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

jesus christ i hate discipline

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

BONGHITZ posted:

jesus christ i hate discipline

then drugs it is

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

caffeine and nicotine

both have terrible side effects and I really don't recommend nicotine, crystal meth is less addictive

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
caffeine is a good laxative

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

and a diuretic!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Silver Alicorn posted: