Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
In before CoC and Kyrie show up to spread the good words of poor dears and Catholicism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh wow another athiest :circlefap: thread. Also another where all us horrible theists are deluded idiots who are no different than some ancap trad catholic who probably reads to much hhh.

:shrug: Kyrie get's his Jesus :circlefap: thread.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Mostly its you guys telling Kyrie he is wrong. Also most likely he will be posting in this one to. So you're expanding his lovely presence with this thread.

True. Got me there. I just wanted to contribute :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

Every civilization in the history of the world has had slavery until pious Christians realized how poo poo it was.

E:^the wikipage you linked says otherwise brah

I think that had more to do with them as human beings realizing how disgusting the practice was. That could've happened without their religion just as easily.

Or are you suggesting athiests are pro-slavery?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

First, slavery exists. It exists for millenia. Then, zealous Christians like John Brown (PBUH) rise up against established norms and fight to abolish it.

I'm sorry, it took HOW many centuries for Christianity to end slavery?

Miltank posted:

It took ten thousand years of Civilization before Christianity came along and ended slavery.

So, you guys sat on your thumbs and avocated for slavery for at least 500+ years, and you get the self - satisfaction of saying it was your religion that also ended it?

No, I suspect emotional appeals about human suffering had more to do with abolition than the religious identity of the abolitionists.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 6, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Don't forget that we couldn't end slavery in the US without a massive civil war in which both sides of the conflict openly appealed to divine right to their cause.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Wait you actually think a bunch of poo poo stains who cobbled together phrenology and choice quites from the bible were going to just let their meal tickets free?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5mmFPyDK_8

That's a no true scotsman you are pulling there. Regardless of how baseless the claim of the Confederacy on slavery, they DID use religion as justification for their appeals.

Miltank posted:

Abolitionists were anti-slavery because of Christianity. Slaveholders were pro-slavery because money.

I am truly sorry that Christians didn't abolish slavery fast enough for all the Atheists itt.

No true scotsman, hey-o! The Confederacy appealed to religion, using Bible quotes and strong Christian leaders to justify their slavery.

Regardless if the abolitionists where Christian, their motivation still came down to something more base than their faith: Their human disgust at slavery. They simply used their religion as backing to justify these views.

quote:

It’s abundantly clear, as recent scholarship has demonstrated that religion stood at the center of the Civil War for both sides. Both North and South looked to God for meaning, and each side believed—with equal fervor and certitude—that God was on its side. Many ministers, generals, leaders, and editors went so far as to proclaim that God had ordained the war and would determine its length, its damages, and its outcome. The victor would show, in other words, whose side God really supported. New England political and religious leaders had long proclaimed themselves God’s “chosen people.” With the start of the Civil War, southerners laid claim to the title and, through speech, print, and ritual actions, proceeded to “prove” their claim.

For the South, this “chosen” status not only presumed ultimate victory in what would turn out to be a long and bloody conflict, but also put God’s imprimatur on the Confederate national identity. In fact, the South claimed to be a uniquely Christian nation. The new Confederate Constitution, adopted on February 8, 1861, and ratified on March 11, 1861, officially declared its Christian identity, “invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God.” Southern leaders chose as their national motto Deo Vindice (“God will avenge”). Confederate President Jefferson Davis proclaimed that the time had come “to recognize our dependence upon God … [and] supplicate his merciful protection.” This national acknowledgment of religious dependence, as the South frequently pointed out during the war in both the religious and the secular press, stood in stark contrast to the “godless” government of the North that ignored God in its constitution and put secular concerns above the sacred duties of Christian service and the divine commission.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 6, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

Using religion to justify cultural inertia is different from using religion to promote radical anti-establishment egalitarianism.

So, what you are telling me is that without Christianity, abolitionists would have been okay with slavery.

Why don't I believe you?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

Slavery without Christianity: keeps on going forever until Christianity stops it.
Slavery with Christianity: reactionaries try and warp scripture to support chattel slavery, it doesn't work and slavery is abolished.

It took over 500 years for Christianity to get the balls up to stop justifying it. Oh wait, those were not 'True Christians' right?

Quit using the No True Scotsman.

VitalSigns posted:

It's worth pointing out that the Pope banned slavery in 1537 and called slaveowners allies of the devil, and he was basically ignored by the Spanish who were profiting from it immensely.

Apparently this means that the slavers were the true Catholics or something?

He banned it, but it wasn't enforced until the 1700s, by which time civilization as a whole was starting to realize that slavery was a monstrous and inhuman affair.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

The Propositions:

1) X is a Christian. A1 was an act motivated by his Christianity.
2) Y is a Christian. A2 was an act not motivated by his Christianity.

Is not an example of 'no true scotsman' or any other example of a logical fallacy. Kindly stop drumming it in to your arguments inappropriately.

Miltank posted:

Slavery without Christianity: keeps on going forever until Christianity stops it.
Slavery with Christianity: reactionaries try and warp scripture to support chattel slavery, it doesn't work and slavery is abolished.

Bullshit. He is arguing that Christians that justify slavery with their religion are 'warping it' i.e. "No True Christian"

Its a No True Scotsman.

Miltank posted:

e: abolitionists aren't abolitionists without Christianity.

Once again: So Abolitionists would've been okay with slavery had they not been Christian :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah I mean its not like they litterally thought it was a holy war or anything to extinguish something that was an abomination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-I9duc8W6Q

quote:

Vindication for this new nation under God seemed to come with the South’s victory at First Manassas on July 21, 1861. In a thanksgiving sermon preached the same day in Richmond, Virginia, at St. John’s Episcopal Church, William C. Butler declared:

God has given us of the South today a fresh and golden opportunity—and so a most solemn command—to realize that form of government in which the just, constitutional rights of each and all are guaranteed to each and all. … He has placed us in the front rank of the most marked epochs of the world’s history. He has placed in our hands a commission which we can faithfully execute only by holy, individual self-consecration to all of God’s plans.
Such declarations, once rare in the South, would now become a staple of the religious press, the civilian preacher, the military chaplain—and the politician.

For the remainder of Confederate history, nearly three-quarters of all published sermons were thanksgiving, public fast or other war-related sermons, and the number of sermons actually in print represented only a fraction of the total. Not only did church-goers hear the message that their war was a holy one, but so did virtually anyone who read a newspaper, attended a public gathering or served in a military camp or on the battlefield.

It’s instructive to realize that most of those who attended local churches in the South during the war—and therefore listened week after week to their local pastor sacralizing the southern war cause—were women and children. With husbands, sons and fathers off at war, women filled the pews, and in turn, the preachers filled the women’s hearts and minds with a new sense of their place in both politics and public action. It would be the women, they understood, who would be keeping the godly “covenant” with their morality, prayers, and home-front support of the war.

Either its a holy war, or they just like involving God a lot.

But let's step back a second: Christianity was just the cultural paradigm of the day back then, for both sides. Abolitionists used Christianity because people would listen if you involved their religion, and this is the same reason the South and North used Christianity in their political and military appeals.

This does not support Miltanks idea that Christianity was the motivator, nobody would have listened if they hadn't put a religious spin on it, because that was just how 1800s culture worked.

Miltank posted:

Your statement or question or whatever it was is nonsense. Its like asking whether blue would still be blue if it was green.

Nope. You made the claim, either provide supporting evidence that Christianity was the SOLE drivers in Abolition, or stop making the claim. The question is: If the Abolitionists were not Christian, would they have had no argument against slavery? Your statement is that you HAVE to be Christian to be an abolitionist, which by the way just means you are against slavery.

What you are arguing is that everyone except Christians is pro-slavery, while making broad strokes and claiming that 'No True Christian' would support slavery, despite the obviously strong Christianity of the South.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 6, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Thats horseshit, many in the enlightenment engaged in pre adamism and were quite willing to say that blacks, aboriginals, and semites were not equal to Europeans.

That has more roots in white supremacism white was ironically also religiously motivated.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Look I know you're an anti theist and everything that christianity or any religion has ever done is evil. But lets just look at the songs ofr abolitionists and their writings.

I am actually not an anti-theist, shocking I know. But I'm also well aware there was more motivation behind the abolition movement then sudden appeals to religious ideals that previously were used to uphold slavery.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes and the enlightenment for all its many goods also was certainly a major influence on the development of white supremacy.

Much like pro-Slavery Christians were a product of their time. You could even argue that the Christian Abolitionist movement was simply a product of its time, as Christianity was seen as the law and order of the land, what better way to promote ending slavery than appeals to the majority religion?

Once again, I am not anti-thiest. However, the arguments that people like Kyrie, Miltank, and CoC promote are literally No True Scotsman hogwash that attempts to 'cleanse' their personal faith by arguing those who were also overwhelmingly Christian that did BAD things were obviously just not Christian enough, which is a laughable hand wave.

Crowsbeak posted:

If the shoe fits....

So, unless I am repeating the standard phrase of people like Miltank and arguing for No True Christians, I'm anti-theist. Got it.

Can't wait for Miltank to make appeals to how Pol Pot and Stalin where Atheists.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinnlos posted:

Slavery argument is stupid as gently caress. Everyone kept slaves, does not matter what religion was predominant.

Bad things happen because humans are poo poo, regardless of faith or the lack thereof.

Jesus matters because he is responsible for the last two millennia of Western thought, and all the good and bad that comes with it.

Gas thread, ban OP for this worthless poo poo.

An eloquent response. Well done.

Sinnlos posted:

Jesus matters because he is responsible for the last two millennia of Western thought, and all the good and bad that comes with it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, the adoption of Platonism into Christianity has nothing to do with it. Man, I want some of what you are smoking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinnlos posted:

Christianity, being a religion based partly upon the philosophy and teaching of Jesus, has had a significant impact on world history. Yes or no?

The difference between having an impact on world history and

Sinnlos posted:

Is that plenty of history did not involve him at all. Just because someone used their religion as a rallying cry or a call to arms does not make Jesus the motivator.

By that same token, you could arguing that Hitler had a significant impact on World History and the Western world. Guess we better give him his due.

Crowsbeak posted:

No, hey I could care less if you bring up the crusades, those were idiotic uses of religion that can be used because some poo poo stains think that Christians have to own Jerusalem. But to deny when Christians were the main motivator for good, because that somehow goes against you're religious people never do nay good narrative , shows that you really do have a problem with Christians.

So, you dislike the No True Scotsman not because it ISN'T a logical fallacy, but because you want to be able to use it to make an argument. Nice.

Its a logical fallacy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

But I thought Christianity was responsible for slavery?

Arguing that it is solely responsible for the abolition of slavery was the question being addressed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe he thought that "what you do to the least among you, you're doing to god" was explicit enough since obviously no one is going to say it'd be cool to whip god in the gold mines.

Your argument seems to assume that Jesus actually was supernatural and that he knew the future and how Southern gentlemen would twist his words 1800 years later and therefore should have known to be more explicit, which is a weird thing to do. You're adding in all kinds of assumptions to avoid taking his words at face value.

There's really no way to reconcile slavery with Jesus' teachings of charity and humanity and turning the other cheek and treating everyone like your family or like God. Obviously people are going to try because slavery is profitable, but those people are demonstrably wrong.

Man, if the Old Testament is not considered valid, we should really get an editor to hit that book.

Miltank posted:

No because any historical developments attributed to Christianity could have happened without Christianity because *farts*

"My religion is the only one who opposed slavery despite being used to justify it as well because *farts* They weren't true Christians"

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah thats bullshit, Jesus has had the same kind of influence on history that Confucius or Buhduh had, civilizations were all changed by those men's teachings and for an athiest to deny it shows some rather poor understanding of history.

Civilizations were changed by men who used his teachings to advocate their power plays and political intrigue. That isn't the same as saying that Jesus stood there and nodded while people used his words to promote their political ideals.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinnlos posted:

Hitler did and we should.

Ignoring the impact of Jesus as a figure is ignoring the impact of Christianity, as the two are entwined.

Ignoring the impact of Hitler as a figure is ignoring the impact of Facism, as the two are entwined.

I do not see how this is in any way contentious.

Fair enough, you're right! But considering Western thought has been far more influenced by political aspirations dressed in the clothes of religion, shouldn't we actually focus on the direct impact of the individuals that utilized his teachings and not Jesus and his 2000+ year political agenda?

Crowsbeak posted:

I almost think Commie has one of those simplistic views of history where everyone is only doing what they do for material gain.

Christianity was used to justify the Crusades, which was literally only for the purpose of material gain. Lot of religions have been used to do that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Barlow posted:

That said many southerners did quote the Bible to justify slavery. The problem seems less "Christianity" and more how you interpret Christianity.

And that is all I was saying. Seriously.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

It is extremely obvious that he is a historical materialist which is like... really not a productive method.

From the guy who cannot take responsibility for the idea that his religion has done harm as well as good.

VitalSigns posted:

Jesus was born centuries after the Old Testament was written so when we're discussing the moral lessons that Jesus taught then no, I'd say that the Old Testament probably isn't going to contain any useful Jesus quotes about anything.

The Old Testament falls within the realm of the Christians, even if Christ wasn't in there.

Miltank posted:

you said it terribly, congrats.

The difference between you and me: I can accept that atheists do bad things, like Pol Pot and Stalin. You cannot even come to terms with the idea that your own faith has ALSO been used to do and justify bad things. Well done.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinnlos posted:

So Jesus does matter to the modern day through his direct and indirect influence on Western thought and history.

I don't think anyone was arguing that religion does not influence peoples decisions.

The argument is whether it can be used to justify bad moral decisions as well as good ones.

Miltank posted:

Christians diddo many terrible things. I reserve the right to call a Christian's faith lukewarm, but that doesn't mean they aren't "christian" in the descriptive sense.

And that was all I was arguing. That's it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Also the people who were abolitionists had material reasons to be against slavery right? They had material reason to risk life and limb bringing men to freedom?

You are Miltank are the ones arguing I'm a materialist, I am not arguing from that standpoint.

The question is whether abolitionists where morally outraged with slavery sans Christianity or not. The argument made by Miltank was that you HAVE to be Christian to be an abolitionist.

Apparently Atheists, Deists, and others cannot be morally outraged with slavery.

Disinterested posted:

You are so bad at your own ideology that you may as well join the other side to inflict maximum damage.

How so? Accepting that there are bad atheists is just as important as accepting that Christians, Muslims, and Buddhists do evil things, despite the overwhelming promoting of peace and love among most of their followers.

Nope, I stand by it. Jesus was thrown around a lot, but most motivations of Western though were personal or political. Jesus was just a convenient name drop that everyone would listen to.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 6, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinnlos posted:

The argument is that the words and teaching of Jesus do not matter in the modern world. This is demonstrably false, due the historic impact his existence and words have had.

I accept that premise, yes. But my argument was that most of the historical impact that was created by his words and teachings can be traced to the efforts and political ideology of those that wielded it, not Jesus himself.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, then we should probably argue that Christians who do that are misinterpreting their faith rather than agreeing with Fred Phelps and trying to convince Christians that he's right and their faith calls them to be bigots.

How so? If it all comes down to interpretation, in the end, who is really right and who is really wrong? Its not like we can call up Jesus and ask. Fred Phelps may feel that his interpretation of his faith is correct above all, no matter how many who share it might be disgusted by it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Nope, but they certainly were not the base of the abolitionist movement, or even a significant minority.

The question remains: Was it their moral outrage at the inhumanity of slavery, or their religion that made them justify abolition?

Sinnlos posted:

I can almost see the goalposts... moving!

Optical illusions notwithstanding, it is not moving goal posts to accept a portion of the argument while reject other portions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Isn't this going to be true for any philosophy? It's not like Confucius lived for 8,000 years and become the Emperor of China and the ruler of all Buddhist states and personally did every important thing that his philosophy influenced.

If that's your standard for historical impact then what would actually qualify?

We attribute the historical impact of uniting China to an actual person, not his religion. Just like nobody cared that Julius Caesar was a pagan, his political aspiration is what everyone actually wants to know.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

You argued that abolitionists used Christianity as a means to an end which is a standard materialist reading of history. Your line of thought about historical abolitionism without Christianity also led me to believe this because it was very materialistic.

Your argument being that you have to be Christian to be an abolitionist. Which is demonstrably false. It still took legal viewpoints to completely dismantle slavery, and there is too many Christians on both sides of the pro/con field of slavery to say that your religion was the sole reponsible motivator.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

I was arguing in an underhanded way by using 'abolitionist' in its academic meaning ie the American Abolitionist Movement which was specifically Christian. I have no doubt that there were atheist who were anti-slavery, but the First Republic is about as bad of an example of this as exists, not the least because they allowed slavery to continue in San Domingo.

Fair enough, I can agree with that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Exclamation Marx posted:

Jesus seems like a pretty deece guy

Nah, he seems like a cool dude.

Its his fanboys and fangirls I worry about.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

I worry mostly about people who deny history.

I worry about people that paint history with broad strokes, but hey.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

I do to, like when someone thinks that history can be broken down into materialist wants.

I never did that, I simply argued that only viewing the overall religious value of historical figures instead of their political and historical personal values was worrying.

If we all views history by the religion of the historical figure, it'd be a pretty piss poor overview of history.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Don't oppress his rrligious rights to be offended by the gay marriage :clint:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Barlow posted:

"Jesus Christ, Denton!"

"You Dentons have been nothing but trouble."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps theists and atheists of all philosophies can unite in their belief that Richard Dawkins is an insufferable berk.

I think we can all agree to that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I think it requires more introspective and intellectual ability to forgive someone for being a smug twat than it does to simply recognise and dislike it.

Smug is smug to everyone, it's not a very good way to convince anyone of anything.

Well Dawkins and Hitchens don't really understand that their form of skepticism and atheism is just burning bridges, which is not what we need to be doing.

Or they do understand, and that is what they want, but I don't think it serves our purposes well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

I cannot comprehend that you of all people think that someone else's form of atheism burns bridges but yours doesn't. Your arguments are always more reductive versions of Dawkinsesque ones.

No, I mostly just like arguing on a joke forum with a guy who thinks we're all sociopaths for not buying his specific religions premise about the world and his supporter who quotes theologians as if they have some valid observations on reality.

But hey, thanks for noticing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

The simple arguments are fine, more complicated ones are not needed. What isn't fine is the New Atheists' bigotry, white supremacism and misogyny that underpins literally everything they say and do.

Don't forget the tendency for New Atheism to attract MRAs and Islamaphobes as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Is "New Atheist" a definite term for something that I didn't get the memo for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Atheism

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm just not of the mind that religion needs to be challenged everywhere. It doesn't in itself hurt anything. It's simply not relevant in the realities of law, science, morality, anything in the physical world, and as long as it can be kept apart from those, what is the harm? Most religious people I know seem to be able to do exactly that.

Unfortunately, the most vocal and political of the religious crowd are the ones who do harm. Those are the types I oppose, especially in my home state of Georgia, where they've actively tried to edit both the US History courses and Science courses to make them 'More Christian friendly' and push woo in regards to abortion and pass legislation that back their specific creed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

I've heard Atlanta's pretty cool?

Like many large cities in the South, Atlanta is pretty cool.

• Locked thread