Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Song Title: SDX
Artist: SDX
URL: https://soundcloud.com/sdx7df/SDX
Genre: IDM / Chiptune
File Size: Stream
Song length: 02:51

Here's some IDM madness inspired by the Commodore 64's SID chip. I decided to stop being so damned moody and just have a bit fun. SDX is about my love affair with games music and IDM, all thrown into a blender at spat out at obnoxious volumes.

I'm going to name drop a few tunes that inspired this:
Kid606 - The Illness
The Prodigy - Jehrico
Squarepusher - Go Plastic (the whole album)
Remarc (old school jungle artist)
Anything Commodore 64

Samples:
Oh No! (C64 game)
Paradroid (C64 game)
Joy Division - Lost Control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etanmaet
Feb 19, 2010
This is absolutely brilliant. I'm curious about the creation and your workflow.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Thank you kind sir :-)

That's a bit of a can of worms about work flow. Long story short, I got married and had kid, which turned out to be the best thing to happen to my music. The time constraint forced me out of the things I never realised were destroying my productivity and creativity.

The main thing with this one was setting up an interface that allowed me to apply glitches how I wanted - non-destructively, over single or multiple tracks, and with the ability to apply them on the fly. I was able (haha) to do this in Ableton using dummy clips running lots of repeaters, and effects racks. This took a bit of effort to set-up, but paid off in that it sped up and inspired the actual creative bit.

The techy side of music production was something I never allowed myself before. I figured it got in the way of being musical, which perhaps it does, but that philosophy wasn't actually producing any decent or even finished tracks. I decided 'gently caress it' and fully embraced my inner geek.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 10, 2015

etanmaet
Feb 19, 2010
Cheers mate. It's odd what constraints will do to the creative process. We often view constraints as hurdles rather than the propellers they end up to be. The 'gently caress it' perspective has often resulted in some of my favorite and most interesting music.

• Locked thread