Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Awesome, just what we need to crash our massive upswing in DC sales.

If anyone cares, my store is up a staggering 43% in just DC sales compared to 2014.
What are the top 3 DC books these days at your store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't think they'll do it and if they do, it won't last.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

What are the top 3 DC books these days at your store?

Right now? Convergence, Convergence, Convergence.

Heh, just kidding. Batman, Justice League, Superman. These variant cover mothers are loving killing it for us. I have a dozen people buying up every single variant in each themed month, usually doubling up and buying the normal cover of their regular books. We ran out of the Batman #40 Variant (Mask) in a day but I'd have easy sold 50 more we've had so many requests for it.
Second tier books are Green Lantern, Flash, Batman and Robin, and Detective. The weeklies started strong but ended up being just average.

Over at Marvel we sold 100 Secret Wars in a week. Original Sin did half that. Image is crushing it with Descender and a half dozen other new books. New Valiant stuff is so-so, Bloodshot and Ninjak sold out of #1's but I ordered very light on them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Heh, just kidding. Batman, Justice League, Superman. These variant cover mothers are loving killing it for us. I have a dozen people buying up every single variant in each themed month, usually doubling up and buying the normal cover of their regular books. We ran out of the Batman #40 Variant (Mask) in a day but I'd have easy sold 50 more we've had so many requests for it.

So, not judging here, but do you think they genuinely want to own those covers because they're cool, or are they speculatin'?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'm always perplexed by people who buy up all of the variants. It just seems so bizzare.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

So, not judging here, but do you think they genuinely want to own those covers because they're cool, or are they speculatin'?
You should always judge those who buy variant covers :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

My customer base is very informed on the current DC variant rarity (i tell them). It's a matter of how cool they are and the completest mentality.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

Don't judge me because I want kickass Allred and Cooke covers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rhyno posted:

My customer base is very informed on the current DC variant rarity (i tell them). It's a matter of how cool they are and the completest mentality.

You're the worst enabler. :mad:

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
If I had oodles of disposable income, I'd probably buy huge swaths of DC's variants too.

With the exception of those god awful Chip Kidd ones and maybe those tepid Flash covers, they've been really fun pieces of work.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

Don't judge me because I want kickass Allred and Cooke covers.

I don't like it very much when a variant cover has nothing to do with the book I'm reading (especially the trend of showcasing characters like Deadpool on completely unrelated books), but the Allred, Cooke, and Noto (at Marvel) variants are all gorgeous, and worthy of collecting in books of their own. Heck, I even like the Bombshells variants -- I'm a sucker for that '40s retro pin-up aesthetic.

Have they ever done that -- collecting popular artists' variants in books of their own?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynthOrange posted:

You're the worst enabler. :mad:

What? I make sure everyone knows that these have the same rarity as the standard covers!

DC used to do art portfolios but its been about 6 years since the last one.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
At least with DC covers all I did was ask my LCBS to pull the variants that I wanted. They never charged me extra. Sometimes I see the variants in the stacks as well. Is it still a speculators thing?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Madkal posted:

At least with DC covers all I did was ask my LCBS to pull the variants that I wanted. They never charged me extra. Sometimes I see the variants in the stacks as well. Is it still a speculators thing?
The monthly themed variants aren't incentive based, where a store gets one per 25 issues ordered or whatever, so anyone speculating it should be slapped.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

redbackground posted:

That's what they get for judging the value of a book by its cover.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Die Laughing posted:

That's what they get for judging the value of a book by its cover.

But it has the value printed on the cover!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

lotus circle posted:

The monthly themed variants aren't incentive based, where a store gets one per 25 issues ordered or whatever, so anyone speculating it should be slapped.

Basically these days when DC does a themed variant cover month (Lego, Flash, Movies, Harley) we are now able to order whatever quantity we wish. They still release 1:25 and up variants though. The 1:25 variant for Batman #40 was selling for upwards of $50 for the first week of release.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of variants, who wants to buy JLA #1 seven times over?
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/bryan-hitch-s-variant-covers-for-justice-league-of/1100-152372/

e: Aquaman's an Escher Girl.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 22, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
If Cyborg stood straight up, he'd be 9 feet tall.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's some amazingly bad art. Aquaman is doing the most violent boobs and butt pose I've ever seen. Why is Batman there, anyway?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

That's some amazingly bad art. Aquaman is doing the most violent boobs and butt pose I've ever seen. Why is Batman there, anyway?

JLA is a self contained title, unrelated to the other books.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've never understood what people see in Hitch's art. I just find it ugly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman's flying boot is my absolute favourite one :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Speaking of variants, who wants to buy JLA #1 seven times over?
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/bryan-hitch-s-variant-covers-for-justice-league-of/1100-152372/

e: Aquaman's an Escher Girl.

I'm going to sell like 300 copies of this, I an't even kidding. I have four requests for complete sets already.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

I've never understood what people see in Hitch's art. I just find it ugly.
I like Hitch just fine, but oof, that's a rough connecting cover.

Also, enough with the goddamn parademons already.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is this a new book ala Marvel's multiple Avengers, or a relaunch of the main title?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Is this a new book ala Marvel's multiple Avengers, or a relaunch of the main title?

New secondary JL title that will ship about three times a year.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Hey Rhyno, what do pre-orders for the new DC books look like so far?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Semper Fudge posted:

Hey Rhyno, what do pre-orders for the new DC books look like so far?

So so but everyone always adds that stuff the day before in my experience because they want to gently caress up my order numbers.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

The only new books I've added to pulls so far are Black Canary and Starfire. I'm probably going to add Dark Universe and Martian Manhunter unless the #1 issues are terrible. Other than that, nothing else from the new books interests me. I've been pretty disappointed.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

What about Bizarro, you fool?!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wendell posted:

What about Bizarro, you fool?!

Did I miss something in that book? The art was great, but I didn't laugh at all during it.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Gaz-L posted:

Did I miss something in that book? The art was great, but I didn't laugh at all during it.

You obviously missed the part where Bizarro ate cocaine.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

I'm going to sell like 300 copies of this, I an't even kidding. I have four requests for complete sets already.

Your customers sound magical. We don't move variant covers like that around here.

I'm hyped for JLA. My friend just got hooked on the Ultimates this week, and it reminded me how much I loved his art. He drew a great JLA in Heavens Ladder, and the huge format really made it larger than life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Your customers sound magical. We don't move variant covers like that around here.

I'm hyped for JLA. My friend just got hooked on the Ultimates this week, and it reminded me how much I loved his art. He drew a great JLA in Heavens Ladder, and the huge format really made it larger than life.

It's not even speculators, it's the Pokemon kids all grown up. I have one dude who wrote out a very long detail list of every Secret Wars tie in and turned that in last month. And he wrote it out like this

quote:

Secret Wars #1
Secret Wars #2
Secret Wars #3

and so on. Instead of "Secret Wars #1-8." Every issue got it's own line o notebook paper. He's the most enthusiastic dude I have buying books right now.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Convergence's Final issue's preview

Man, I wasn't expecting Waverider to show up. Talk about nostalgia.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If the pitch of "Bizarro and Jimmy Olsen road-trip to Canada, which Superman calls Bizarro America" isn't enough to get you on board then I don't know what to tell you. It felt like exactly the kind of book I want DC to make.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

If the pitch of "Bizarro and Jimmy Olsen road-trip to Canada, which Superman calls Bizarro America" isn't enough to get you on board then I don't know what to tell you. It felt like exactly the kind of book I want DC to make.

I'm glad it exists, and hope you enjoy it, but seriously, nothing in it tickled me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Convergence's Final issue's preview

Man, I wasn't expecting Waverider to show up. Talk about nostalgia.

Of all the characters, why would you bring him back.

• Locked thread