Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There are no bad characters there are only bad writahh gently caress it it's Hal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I've not read Ennis' takedown of Winick's hate crime arc -- hell, I hadn't even known that he'd written one before today -- but is he aware that the character Terry Berg appears in over thirty issues of Winick's GL run and had been a recurring support character in the book for years before the actual gay bashing storyline came around? He was like Kyle Rayner's Jimmy Olsen. We'd already gotten to know him and his life long before that incident, so if Ennis' criticism was that Terry was just a stock sad gay trope to be paraded around for sadness points and then shuffled aside after his sad gay purpose was over (from what I can tell of his critique through the descriptions here despite, again, never having read this story)...well, that's not correct. That is objectively inaccurate.

Also, even if the whole "superhero punching bad guys" solution isn't necessarily a very realistic or effective solution to homophobia and discrimination in the comics world, isn't there something to be said for comics being used as a medium for raising awareness and encouraging activism about these real problems in our real world? Telling a morality play about homophobia in such a dramatic fictional context, at the very very very least, tells people reading it "This is wrong. This is a really bad thing that shouldn't be tolerated." It seems absurd in this day and age that anyone with a functional brain needs to be told that beating gay kids half to death is a bad thing, but even ten years ago the climate was incredibly different and no one was saying anything about it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Jim Lee posted:

Rather than having 52 books all in the same continuity, and really focusing on keeping a universe that's tightly connected and has super-internal consistency, and really one flavor, we've really broken it up.
I get what he's trying to say but, all the same, this is vastly exaggerating how consistent Nu52 continuity was. :xd:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think I've well and fully lost any capacity to care about this sort of change. I can rationally deduce that the spiked gauntlet thing is "bad" looking, I just don't have any emotional response to it at all. It's just going to change again when the movie comes out, anyway.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Now...okay, we make fun of the Finches' new Wonder Woman katars, but I'm gonna say something here that none of you are gonna like: isn't it the exact sort of thing that feels totally appropriate for the Wonder Woman as envisioned by Brian Azzarello? Isn't it the exact logical conclusion of the Wonder Woman world he created that is all about the grimdark and the war and the strife and the bracers that create weapons out of thin air -- all sharp edges and pauldrons and militaristic stances and intimidation -- and not so much about either Wonders or Women?

Like, I don't know what the Finches have been doing on the title. But there is not a single portion of that design, right down to the 90s arm spikes, that feels out of place for the character as she stood by the end of Azzarello's run. This is the character that y'all have been raring for. That old swimsuit design was nothing but a lie on her, a holdover from a personality that she no longer was. Why be shocked that her outsides finally match her insides? On that level, I actually have to applaud the design.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 14, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Madkal posted:

Considering that it's a variant cover that has to be specially requested I doubt people buying the comics will ever really see the cover outside of the internet.
Anecdotally, I feel like the people buying Batgirl are the exact sort of internet-savvy, digital-leaning online crowd that bridal-carried titles like Ms. Marvel into surprise hits. They probably knew about the cover before even the stores did.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I can understand that. But the way I see it, that just means the person who feels uncomfortable isn't the target audience for the cover.
Who is the target audience that enjoys the sight of a terrified weeping helpless superheroine being tormented by the character who molested her?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I am only saying that those criticisms seem largely shallow and knee-jerk and stem from some weird notion that while all other kinds of violence and depravity are fine, sexual violence can only be handled with kid gloves, and is somehow worse than the aforementioned murders, tortures, imprisonments and so on. In truth, they are all awful and traumatic.
We live in a rape culture where the physical exploitation of women is often discounted, if not outright approved. The climate of our society is such that blame and responsibility for sexual assault, harassment, or exploitation repeatedly falls on the victims and not the assailant.

This is not the case in regards for murders, tortures, or imprisonments. There is no socially-perpetrated rationale wherein murder is less prosecutable because the victim was somehow asking for it...unless we factor racial issues, which is a whole other (though not entirely dissimilar) topic. All those things you bring up are bad things just like sexual assault is a bad thing, but we as a culture treat and perceive the latter in different, less commendable ways. That is the context for why people might want sexual assault to be treated with "kid gloves" in a way that other general crimes aren't, in the same way that we might not want to show John Stewart getting physically brutalized by police officers as a way to titillate readers considering the current problems facing our cultural climate.

In addition to that, yes, consider the longstanding treatment that female characters have received from genre media -- even if it's merely the perception of treatment that female characters have received -- that DC has just now very recently started to combat. When you currently have less leading female superheroes than can be counted on one hand, when you have a recurring reputation for marginalizing female characters and their fans, particularly in the Batman mythos ("How do you like them apples?" -Bill Willingham)...all in all, it's an extraordinarily dubious decision to showcase one of those leading women tied up weeping in fear next to her grinning assailant in a series that has been specifically trying to counteract all those stigmas.

That fan-created Superman/Doomsday picture is a great litmus test for how the cover comes across, but even that doesn't quite reflect the tackiness of the Batgirl/Joker situation because their situations don't truly mirror each other. It would be incredibly shocking if DC released that Superman cover, but it doesn't perpetrate any harmful trends because there are no longstanding trends of marginalization and sexual violence against leading male heroes. Consider, on the other hand, how it would come across if the cover depicted Wonder Woman, Carol Danvers, or Kamala Khan in that scenario next to Dr. Light, the Purple Man, or the Red Skull, respectively.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You seem to eliminate the sexuality from the "hypermasculine power fantasy" as well. Male superheroes are drawn just as provocatively as the women, wearing spandex so tight it may as well be body paint.
Ah gently caress, you're one of those.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...Huh. Not really what I expected. The thing I liked about Steph, in her own series at least, was that she was kind of a proto-Kamala Khan, and seeing her (and Tim?) be weirdly angsty about their power levels or whatever is...less...that.

Then again, it is a bit more in line with her characterization pre-solo-series.

Well, I guess I'll find out more when I read the rest of it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Am I just not "getting" this Convergence stuff or are these comics really just kinda weird and offputting for some reason? Of the three previews posted so far, I don't think a single one has really excited me.

Teenage Fansub posted:

All-New Atom is good, right?
It's pretty excellent, other than one single arc...I think it's issues 9, 10, and 11...that's just painful and incredibly Simoney in a bad Simone way.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I did miss that. :catstare:

And that looks incredible.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So yeah, I've read all Convergence titles and I can't help but be a bit disappointed in all this weird desert thunderdome stuff, but frankly it may just be a lot of my expectations being too high.

'Cuz, I mean, most of the books were totally fine and nothing actually jumps out as being bad per se (some of the art, perhaps), and there are even several enjoyable moments. The whole thing is...honestly, pretty standard comics. Normal. Ordinary. And maybe that's part of the problem because this really deserved to be more than just a less inept "Countdown: Arena." But what can you do.

The books that fare the best are probably (and, mostly unsurprisingly) the Question, Superman, and Nightwing/Oracle books. Turns out that having experienced writers tackle characters they've shown good rapport with will get you better books than just saddling a bunch of writers you've never heard of with a bunch of characters they've never heard of. Who knew!

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 9, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Was Flashpoint Aquaman always meant to be some sort of creepy evil stalker guy? I thought his backstory was supposed to be that he's sad 'cuz he lost his Mera, but in Convergence: JLA he kidnaps the "main" Mera and gets real...aggressive...about it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Speaking of Wonder Woman, it's pretty disappointing that she has basically no presence in this story at all. Pre-Flashpoint Superman and Batman are both here, but they couldn't be arsed to find anything for her to do? She's got just as many dangling plot-threads from the old DCU as anyone.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ooh, I didn't realize Kyle Rayner was gonna be featured in the Parallax thing. I'm also fond of it kicking Hal when he's down.

Hmm, color me interested.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I thought the Green Arrow tie-in was fine. Kinda hamfisted. But if you have any sort of wet throbbing love for Connor Hawke...um, not that I do, or anything...then it's easy to look past. The ending was pretty interesting anyway, the exact sort of thing that this event should be taking advantage of.

Everything else does feel like toys smashing together, yes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Semper Fudge posted:

These are a delight, what the gently caress is wrong with you?
Joker isn't molesting anyone anywhere. So lame.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Convergence: Wonder Woman was...eh. Just kind of dour and dismal for some reason. You got your one chance to write a final storyline for the bona fide Silver Age Wonder Woman and there's just no wonder here. After months of Sensation Comics providing all sorts of interesting (if inconsistent) non-modern Wonder Woman shorts, this was a bit of a let down.

(now copy-paste that last phrase for the rest of this event)

Teenage Fansub posted:

Also, at least in the digital version, they used the wrong art in a spread.

Getting rid of the dialogue only improves the scene, I think.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So what's Hawkgirl? Just an rear end in a top hat?

(I like the thing, though)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

A lot of the minis are kinda poo poo too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean...realtalk, the plot and resolution was definitely a welcome treat for Ryan Choi fans, but the character that got brought back in the issue really wasn't Ryan Choi at all. He was some kind of...macho Squarejaw McHaljordon action star guy, not the dweeby amiable college professor that I remember. I'm sure getting killed does a number on your self-image, but still.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Who was it that planned out the last Silver Age Wonder Woman story and decided, Y'know what, I'm gonna turn Steve Trevor and Etta Candy into vampires and then kill them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Pfft, wasted opportunity to not show a glimpse of the CW DCTV Universe in that last Convergence issue.

I don't dislike this newest, vaguest, most subjective status quo of the multiverse, but its imprecise and ambiguous nature is probably gonna make it far more prone to being screwed up than anything we've had up to now. I will be utterly shocked if DC doesn't manage to do so within a handful of years, leading them to order yet another reboot.

In any case, Convergence: Shazam ended up being my favorite Convergence thing. Probably even more than The Question.

• Locked thread