Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I was really not interested in Son of Batman but dang if that picture isn't rad as heck.

Still I don't actually see any evidence that anything is being smooshed together or that any of the dumb editorial moves are being reversed. Superman and WW are still together. Everyone's costume is still bad. Cassandra is still mia. Is this really anything but a few new books for them to cancel in a year and the end of the new 52 branding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The costume isn't bad but like I said in the old thread I'm fairly skeeved by the pre teen in the back looking down her own shirt.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hahaha somebody wrote "tbh" as actual dialogue in a superhero book

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Semper Fudge posted:

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: DC has been moving away from a unified house style for a while now and even the early parts of the New 52 showed more range than say mid-00's DC. This is probably the most visually diverse group of DC books, in just about forever.

Aside from like, JH Williams on Batwoman there really werent a lot of outliers. I guess Chaing on WW and Manapul on Flash were pretty distinct, and Capullo is slightly more expressive/cartoony than the house style. Nothing anywhere close to Babs Tarr or the stuff from this most recent slew of titles.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

His name is pretty much DARK TITTIES ARE MINE. He's a gimmick account, just a very consistent one.

Please everybody knows its Dark_TitsAnime

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DT is rapidly becoming the SuperMechagodzilla of BSS. Think about that for a minute.

Anyway, Scott Lobdell did Generation X back in the day, which is still one of my favorite comics, so I can never really hate on him as much as some of yall do. He's just up there with Humberto Ramos in the list of people who used to do good work and now have gone completely off the rails.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nah, he's funny. I'll be sad if he actually does stop posting. He's so goddamned earnest about the things he likes and even if he's got the taste of a 13 year old perpetually trapped in 1995 I just can't stay mad at the lil' guy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They did get some really good publicity out of the Batgirl redesign and there's some good buzz around Gotham Academy. If you believe the Internet rumor mill, internally DC is literally referring to breaking out of their 'house style' to appeal to other demographics as 'Batgirling."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Crispus Allen was cooler as the Spectre though so basically gently caress Hal

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gavok posted:

The worst DC superhero is Blue Jay. He's from the Extremists' universe and was a knockoff of Wasp, only without the zapping powers. All he can do is shrink down to the size of a bird and fly. Somehow he got to be a member of the Justice League.

There was a time when literally anybody could join the Justice League. I'd say at one point there were more incredibly lame people in the JL than cool ones. I remember when Morrison's JLA came out (1996 or something?) and it was a big deal that the actual most famous superheroes in the world were in it again.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cass and Tim always felt so much more like siblings to me. On the other hand I really thought Tim and Steph were pretty done by the end of the old continuity.

Clearly Cass/Steph is the answer

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

The new Robin: Son Of Batman title from Patrick Gleason is described as a Johnny Quest-style book, though with very different adventures. Part Johnny Quest and part How To Train Your Dragon, one retailer described it as like Stanley And His Monster.

I am so loving on board with this

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jiro posted:

I for one see nothing wrong with this logic. :colbert: Pa Kent also kind of sort of meets Lady Eternity, some devil demon guys, AND slays some Cthullu Kryptonian tentacled horrors. Pa Kent is the poo poo he only summoned a shovel because he knew it was gonna be that easy to bury his foes. :smug: Pa Kent is essentially Triple H is what I'm trying to say.

So Kevin Costner is playing Thor in the next movie, got it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DC has become aware of the Dick Grayson butt meme and is laying it on a bit thick.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Haven't read Grayson and it does seem pretty bad but I feel like most superhero comics could be boiled down to "Look how awesome (the guy whose name is on the cover) is".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Was Taters posted:

You love me :)

I wish the writers would reach beyond 'shirtless is sexy' and 'girls dig this guy'. Tim Seeley talks constantly about sexy games spies must play. You wanna do something novel? Have him gently caress some guys.

How's Batgirl holding up? I am MONTHS behind on comics atm.

Batgirl's pretty good. Still doesn't feel a whole lot like Barbara but I'm learning to accept this and move on. It's definitely written for a younger audience and as such sometimes comes off as forced or obnoxious with the way it leans on social media & smart phones but given that the mastermind behind Barbara's trouble was just revealed as an AI based on Barbara's brain pattern its understandable. It also doesn't feel like an old person trying to write for teenagers. It feels pretty authentic, though I'm like 30 so I might be easy to fool. The art is still great.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Over the years I've grown to really dislike both Killing Joke and Dark Knight Returns. They're the go-to 'best Batman stories ever!' and they are significant milestones and all that but they're both so massively overrated.

It's worth mentioning that Killing Joke did not end Barbara's career as Batgirl, the 'darkening' of Batman had already caused them to start shuffling his sidekicks off to the side and retire Barbara in a special called 'The Last Batgirl Story'. The publication dates were so close that this was almost certainly done in anticipation of Killing Joke which had been in the works for years at DC. On the other hand it doesn't make a lot of sense that Barbara would need to no longer be Batgirl before she got shot so maybe it was more of a coincidence.

Alan Moore has repeatedly said that he dislikes the book. Brian Bolland says it doesn't compare with Moore's better works. I tend to agree with them.

Alan Moore posted:

"I asked DC if they had any problem with me crippling Barbara Gordon - who was Batgirl at the time - and if I remember, I spoke to Len Wein, who was our editor on the project ... [He] said, 'Yeah, okay, cripple the bitch.' It was probably one of the areas where they should've reined me in, but they didn't."

If I was working at DC I would have taken the New 52 as an opportunity to change the event that crippled Barbara into something a bit more heroic - give her some agency in the story, have her get shot or take a bad fall while saving lives or something. I think it's significant that she gets paralyzed in a way that doesn't reveal her secret identity so I'd probably write her into some kind of surprise hostage situation where she's caught off guard without her Batgirl kit. I think she's a much better character in the wheelchair as Oracle but the way it happened was so off-the-cuff and incidental when it should have been the focus of its own story.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Robin: Son of Batman is going to be the poo poo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Name one male superhero who does not have a horrible tragedy that inspires him to fight crime (with the obvious exception of Booster Gold, whose life is that tragedy). Rape as a backstory has always been pretty lazy, and I'm not defending it.

Also, want to point out, Joker is never implied to have raped Barbara in the Killing Joke. He takes pictures and roughs her up, but nobody insinuates he did anything overtly sexual to her beyond. At least, I don't recall anything overt from the last time I read the book.

I will never forgive myself for replying to this awful, bullshit conversation, but undressing someone and taking pictures of their naked body without their consent is fuckin sexual assault full stop period. You don't literally have to get penetrated for rape to occur.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Are her lips naturally purple or is that makeup.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm gonna be nice and not pre-judge a modern Dan Jurgens comic cause I want Bat-Mite to be okay. The great recent Multiversity Guidebook has a section on a Kamandi featured Kirby Earth. Batman's in it too. Tiny android Chibi Batman.
e: Two Batmans, actually. The other's a spaceman cowboy Batman.

I have never ever liked Dan Jurgens and he basically single-handedly kept me from reading Superman for years.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Come join the Cassandra Cain fans, we know how that feels.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batwoman up until the Wonder Woman team up ends.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

You don't think he'd like Andreyko's touching story of lesbian vampire rape and victim blame?

I don't even think he'd like Williams' stuff beyond that, where Kate is forced into taking on Batman and the whole thing ends with a muffled fart in an annual after DC dropped a Zero Year tie in where the conclusion should have been.

Not that the conclusion was any good regardless.

I'd also suggest you read some of Snyders Batman stuff, specifically Court of Owls and Zero Year.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I guess they're going for that saying "The more you learn, the less you know." I can buy Steph getting good enough that she starts to realize how much better the others are, but that happened like, a decade ago. Did they forget they weren't writing the new 52 Steph who hasn't been doing this almost as long as Tim has?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

No it's not really what I was expecting. It's like they don't want anybody to be able to imagine their favorite continuities just going along as they were before. All the stories seem to be pretty heavily focused on how Brainiac sticking their worlds into jars has affected their day to day.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is it better or worse than those issues where Cass turned evil?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I was on the fence about Nightwing/Oracle until the last panel of the book.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wait, how is the New 52 not the DiDio era? Wasn't the entire reboot pretty much his mandate, him and Johns and Jim Lee deciding everybody had to have high collars and be single?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't know if O'Neill is a bad writer or not,

He's not

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

History is rewriting itself before our eyes

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Those TTGO covers need to be released as posters.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Darwyn Cooke covers are in my rotating wallpapers folder. I wish more of these were oriented landscape style.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

McFarlane is my all time favorite Spider-Man artist, but I cannot stand any of his original work. It's a shame, the stuff he did at Marvel was pretty incredible at times. I really love that famous web cover.

Welcome back

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alouicious posted:

is it welcome back when they were gone for like 5 minutes

The better question I should have asked is, how is Mike Weiringo not your favorite Spider-Man artist of all time.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Next issue : Jason faces off against teh penguin of doom and his deadly spork!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I feel like Wonder Woman should have been an adult. It's a little weird that she's the same age as Harley and Batgirl and stuff. She could have been like the cool homeroom teacher that keeps the rest of them in line, since I guess this is like a high school AU basically.

Roller Derby Harley is a pretty good design, imo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you can't sell a pretty lady who loves cats to 6-12 year old girls you done hosed up somewhere.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Brocktoon posted:

I still don't understand why in 2015 things have to be labeled "for boys" and "for girls". Why ostracize half your market by saying "THIS ISN'T FOR YOU"? Just have different action figure lines and have the kid buy whichever they find appealing.

Because yes, parents will refuse to buy their girls " boy" toys and vice versa. It is definitely still a thing in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I just want Batman 40 to come out, honestly

• Locked thread