Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Okay the first one (from the foreground to the background) is Death of Superman.
Next we have Golden Age Superman's death during Infinite Crisis.
The one with Luthor checking Superman's heart beat is a classic "Imaginary" story from the Pre Crisis. In that one Luthor kills Superman (and spends ages making sure, bombarding the body with more Kryptonite radiation, using a super stethoscope to make sure he's dead.) It's a pretty fun story and it's cool to see it there.
The one after that is from All Star Superman.
The one with a pile of Superman corpses and Gog sitting over them is from the Kingdom, the DC sort of sequel to Kingdom Come.
The next one is small, but it looks like a bed with the communist symbol. I think it's a reference to Red Son Superman.
The next one is really small, but it looks like Batman Beyond standing over Superman. Maybe it's a reference to Future's End.
The one after that looks like Superman imapled on a spear, not really clear.
The final one looks like Superman's rocket crashed into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

You are clearly forgetting the epic story where Pa Kent has a heart attack, and in the afterlife meets his son being eaten by a demon. However Pa' hits the demon with a shovel, releasing it's hold on Clark for long enough for him to fight back.

Considering the whole thing is a dream that Jonathan is having, I took it as a non-literal story. But then again I remember comic fans who literally argue that the only reason why Superman was able to come back from the dead is because his father had to go into the afterlife and use his Astral-shovel.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Clark later mentions to Lois that he remembers that exact thing happening so regardleess of how stupid or non-stupid it is it, it happened.

(Pa Kent doesn't hit a demon with a shovel, he finds demons trying to drag Clark's soul to hell under the guise of Kryptonians and convinces Clark they're fakes.)

Googling Pa Kent Shovel and Demon turns up like two different pictures of him swinging a shovel. In one it's full on glowy cosmic weapon.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Not to really derail this thread that much but...

Yes when it comes to crime and the overall effects of it, largely the only way to deal with crime is with the investment of money and resources into education, health care, social amenities and so on. And there is a valid argument that the vast majority of criminals aren't inherently bad people.
I have met and worked with many people accused of crimes and the vast majority are people who don't want to commit crimes and just need chances and help to overcome their disadvantages.

On the flip side some are just bellends of the highest order. And you wouldn't shed any tears over hearing that they've been hospitalised by Moon Knight.

And furthermore, while it's all well and good to have sympathy/empathy for criminals, a lot of the time the victims of crime don't feel that way. And understandably so, if you have been mugged, you aren't really going to care about the sad backstory of the guy who did it to you.
And that's really where Batman comes from. He's not a person who lost his parents due to unfair economic distribution. He watched his parents get brutally and pointlessly gunned down by a random criminal in a corrupt city that protects their own. He has all the rage of someone who is the victim of crime and channels that rage to ensure that no one ever has to go through what he did, and break the corruption.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

I remember that arc. I thought Batman's tricks for disabling the JLA were just a tad too outlandish.

The best part of Batman ' s plans wasn't in the story itself, but in this Secret Origins/annual issue which shows Talia stealing the plan. And it shows Batman just talking with Kyle like a normal person about his artistic loves. And it's skin crawling the way Batman is listening and turning it into a way of taking down Kyle. It's a real betrayal.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

And now the only way for me to save the world is for me to become Superman V Batman: Dawn of Justice!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

...Huh. Not really what I expected. The thing I liked about Steph, in her own series at least, was that she was kind of a proto-Kamala Khan, and seeing her (and Tim?) be weirdly angsty about their power levels or whatever is...less...that.

Then again, it is a bit more in line with her characterization pre-solo-series.

Well, I guess I'll find out more when I read the rest of it.

My memory of Stephanie Brown was even during her solo series, she did angst a lot about how she wasn't a combat robot like Cassandra and how she came to terms with that by focusing on her strengths (her inventive mind, how she was charasmatic and built up a network of friends.)
So it's natural that when her name gets drawn out of a hat and she's told she is in a life or death fight, of course she'll complain about it. She's put in the worst type of environment for her.
It seems totally natural and in keeping with her past depiction.

As for the Tim/Steph interaction, that seems stilted and forced. But Tim and Steph's interaction always came off that way. Like how Steph seemed to be genuinely attracted to Tim and wanted to work at a relationship. While Tim, just wasn't bothered. It always came across as Tim figured he had to be seen with a girlfriend, but he had no desire to be with her. It always seemed to me that Tim was written as a closeted gay Superhero, in denial about his sexuality.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

vegetables posted:

Seeing presumably several years worth of comics summarised in a matter of fact way like this really rams home how ridiculous their plots often are.

It also reminds me that in an attempt to distinguish between Wally and Barry they gave Wally a costume designed to look like the costume from the 1990's TV series.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Much better. I'm a huge fan of Cass and the issue seemed fine to me.

Even the part about eating the Hamster makes perfect sense in context. (After Gotham get's cut off by the dome, one of the only sources of meat are from growing pets like Hamsters.) Stephanie is against it because she has a bound with the Hamster. Cassandra sees it in pragmatic terms that you farm animals.

I really enjoyed it.
And it also continues the trend of Stephanie having far more chemistry with Cassandra then she does with Tim Drake.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

vegetables posted:

I feel like the world's biggest nerd for even caring about this, but it bothered me that Flashpoint Batman is even trying to save his city from destruction in this comic. Wasn't his whole character arc in the comic he's from about destroying his own universe so that his son can live again? It's a bit rubbish to have all these characters coming back for hardcore geeks if they then behave in ways that aren't anything like what the hardcore geeks would remember.

This has come up in the Superman issues where he visits the Flash point city. Basically he's conflicted about should they fight at all. He thought he was sacraficing his city to ensure Bruce would live. But the chance to see a Bruce again is tempting to him too.

It's also funny how Convergence has two different Thomas Wayne as Batman running around.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

EDIT: Justice League on the other hand was pretty good and presents a very intriguing premise.

It turns out that Metron has been unchanged through all the story of DC and has bear witness of every single crisis (even Convergence is alluded). With the threat of a war between the Anti Monitor and Darkseid he fears the reality won't survive another crisis and tries to break a truce with the Antimonitor. To whom he calls "Mobius", any idea if the name means something?

Metron travels through time and space in a device called a Mobius Chair.
Maybe it was given to him by the Anti-Monitor.
It would make sense if this war was started by Darkseid sitting in another man's chair.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, but it was "I already did a crime." Batman recently seems terrible inept at actually stopping crimes because you have the Penguin and Joker all murdering people by the hundreds before Batman does anything.

Hey Batman saved a lot of lives during Year Zero, stopping all those plots.
I guess he's now content to sit back and rely on the stuff he did in his new origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I love the picture of himself, his wife and his daughter in the background.

• Locked thread