Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CaseFace McGee posted:

And now it's been delayed until May. Sorry, but I've officially lost interest in this game until next winter when I hope to build my new computer. I might pick it up when it goes on the inevitable holiday sale, or I might just stick to iRacing, rF2 and AC.

This game is a disaster. Last time I remember being excited for a game that kept getting delayed I ended up with GT5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Righteous, much obliged. I can't take a peek until I'm off work. As petty as it sounds, the seeming inability to get smooth gameplay with high end hardware has probably turned me off to the game more than the lack of content.

If you're talking about AC then turning down reflections a tick made it much better for me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LiquidRain posted:

Hey come in! Haven't seen you since GTCC Forza 4 days a couple years ago. :)

I'm going to be getting in on pCARS to try and relive said GTCC days, and need to get me a wheel for my PC. What's a fair-priced wheel/pedal set? My frame of reference is the cheap/crap Microsoft wheel they made for 360. I'm not looking to go super-pro $500 wheel $200 pedal like a Fanatec or anything, but between the Logitech and Thrustmaster options maybe which one works the best with pCARS?

Logitech g27.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just bought it from GMG for the $37.49.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ethanol posted:

So was just taking a look at these... is this the first game that actually has a senna car in it? I remember hearing the devs say in F12013 how they couldn't get the rights for classic mode

Gran Turismo 6 has a whole Senna mode. I don't know if it was the first, but it had one, and is likely what tied up the licensing so F12013 couldn't have it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

cheesetriangles posted:

I reported him to twitch.

Why?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I need to tweak my force feedback settings I think. I've got the wheel weight feeling right but the vibration from bumps and kerbs could be higher. I can't really figure out what setting controls just the vibration force.

I have tire force set to 200 in the calibration and force feedback set to 65 in the wheel sings and everything feels great except weak bumps and kerbs.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Norns posted:

Honestly before I got my wheel calibrated correctly I kinda felt the same way. Once I did that, everything feels better than the games you listed.

Obviously this is subjective. And I'm fairly new to hardcore sims. But I do really enjoy iRacing and AC. But Project Cars is my jam now.

(I did 16 half length cart races last night, save me)

Can you post what your wheel settings are? Do you get vibration when you go off track from grass/sand/kerbs? I love this game and I have the wheel weight just right, but the vibration is really weak so I want to try to find a setting that works. The Steam forums for the game are littered with trolls, and most of the FFB tuning threads on various forums around the internet are from 4 years ago.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah this is what I need help with, exactly the same thing.
Going off track currently feels like the car has become a hovercraft, I'm using a G27 so nothing exotic either.

I've been reading the forums some more and apparently "btw in terms of surface bumps etc the forces are there, theyre the z parameter, try messing w/ it and/or the master spindle setting"

I'll mess with the Z parameters when I get home and see if i can increase the vibration force without making the wheel heavy.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bape Culture posted:

Anyone tried to drift? I'm hoping for forza levels of fun/realism so I can have a nice fun time with my friends.

Drifting around Sonoma with the Mercedes hatchback in the rain was great fun last night.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Ok, Here's a wheel FFB effort post. I've figured some stuff out. This is all dedicated to the per car FFB setups that you set up in the pits. I wish this was configurable globally but you can save the setups and it's not like Forza where you have like, 300 different cars, you're probably going to have one or two from each class that you use in each racing series and you're going to want to tune them before use anyway, so tuning the FFB for the car is fine. Plus, you don't have to back out of a practice session to the main menu to do it, you just go back to the pits and make adjustments.

The top 5 sliders deal with tire force, and more specifically, Front tire force.

Fx Scale is the intensity of forces coming from the Front (or back if you're in reverse) of the front tires.
Fy Scale is the intensity of forces coming from the sides of the front tires
Fz Scale is the intensity of forces coming from the bottom of the tire.

Play with these settings. Road feel like bumps and stuff increases when you increase the value of the Fz scale slider because these forces come from the underside of the tire. When your tire goes over something it compresses the suspension upward and this sends that compression to the steering wheel through vibration. Fy affects the weight of the wheel when turning. Higher values will make the wheel harder to turn and the wheel will want to return to center position more. When grip is lost the forces also decrease, making the wheel very light, just like in a real car. Fx adjustments are subtle and not very noticeable unless you're on the extreme edges of the range.

Mz Scale also seems to affect the weight of the steering wheel while turning.

Master Scale is a multiplier for the 4 items below it. Adjust to your preference after adjusting the 4 items. it will increase or decrease them all.

The second section is smoothing. Higher values will smooth out the particular forces, lower will make them more rough. There is no master scale for this one, each is done individually. For Fz smoothing it weakens the bumps.

The final setting on this page is Arm Angle, and that's only available in the "my garage" settings, not available from the pits during a race/practice/qualifying session. Arm angle simulates the way the steering wheel moves in relation to the hands and arms holding it. It's complicated to describe. I don't really know what to do with it.

On the second page of FFB settings you get the following:

Body and SoP. SoP stands for "seat of pants" and this is meant to transmit to the wheel what the rest of the car is doing, rather than the front tires which are all a real car's steering wheel would transmit. Since you aren't in a real car you aren't going to feel g-forces or the rear sliding or anything like that, so those have to be sent to the only sensory interface you have, the wheel.

Knowing what these things are is one thing, but knowing how to use them is something else. I don't know how to use them but I'll play with it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 7, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If downloading mods at all in the future is something you'd be interested in (be they physics mods, HUD addons, new cars/tracks) I'd stick with the PC version.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Aishan posted:

I finally got into an online lobby, so I present to you the PS4 Project CARS online experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7R19Dz9K6E

Looks about right. It features full throttle on cold tires, people trying to win the race on turn 1, lap 1. It has people going off track and trying to re-enter in reverse without looking at what's coming. It's got it all!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I finally found a good FFB setup for my Thrustmaster wheel.

In the per car settings I have:
AWD
master 100
Fx 20
Fy 20
Fz 100
Mz 10

RWD
master 100
Fx 30
Fy 28
Fz 100
Mz 18

in the wheel calibration section I have force feedback at 100 and tire force at 200.

This keeps the wheel nice and light, I can feel when the wheels lose grip, easily recover without the wheel fighting back, and I can feel road bumps and kerbs.

In the Thrustmaster software I have the settings as 65/100/0/0

I haven't started a career yet, I've just tried to get a nice feeling set-up and tried these settings with many cars on many tracks.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I beat panda a few days ago in FM5 (barely. And using a car two classes above him). He ain't poo poo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If you're spinning while braking push the brake bias forward in your setup.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Sonoma track was pretty terrible. So was the Lykan Whatsitsname.

Please elaborate on what you're saying here because Sonoma rules.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The g27 is solid wheel for $200. I prefer the Thrustmaster wheels but they are a lot more money. FFB is a son of a bitch to figure out how to set up right though. And I think the same goes for the g27 too, because the FFB in this works so much differently than any other racing sim. It ONLY wants to tell you what the tires are doing as opposed to other games which send feedback for the entire vehicle.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Essobie posted:

Yikes... really? AC feels so much better to me, even after tweaking.

Share with the class. I wasn't able to find them either (I didn't even know until you posted that SoP meant Seat of Pants). I'm curious to how these feel compared to your experiences with AC. If the pCARS defaults were better than AC, are they better or worse with these posted tips?

The arrows in the right of the header in the force feedback settings screen in the car tuning.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

There's AI in iRacing now? or did I miss a joke?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Re: Maple Valley chat...
I recreated Maple Valley for rFactor, rFactor 2, and Assetto Corsa, and if track editing tools ever surface for Project CARS I'll be making it for that too. Best fictional track in any game ever.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So I have the xbone and PC versions of this now and they are both great with the Thrustmaster wheel. Using values derived from those FFB xml files posted earlier the xbone feels just as good and while it doesn't look as good as the PC at max settings it still looks great.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
When you do the endurance races does it let you save your progress and come back to it or does it have to be one continuous session?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LiquidRain posted:

I don't see that part. :( He says "People who prefer Soft FFB Lock change the line in the files like this: <value DisableLockSpring="false" /> (FFB lock for each car's certain degrees of rotation)" - do I need to do that for each XML file?!

"Previous wheel preset terms like, Relative Gain, Scoop, Tighten Center, Soft Clip, Base Drag - is old stuff and donīt work."

2 lines later: "Useful setting for G25/27 and similar range of wheels: Scoop Knee = 70, Scoop Reduction = 15

:suicide:

The only car I've tried where I've felt the FFB was understandable was the Caterham 7 Classic. Every other car/kart i just don't get any valuable info out of the FFB. Help. :(

Where he says the presets don't work he's referring to setting those presets within the ffb xml files. In older builds it worked to set them from the files but now you need to set those in the ffb calibration menu in game. I know it's not really very clear.

Yes you do need to change those settings for every file but if you get notepad++ (I think it's free) you can do a find and replace to a whole folder at once and it only takes a few seconds to do.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 12, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LiquidRain posted:

Could it just be spelled out what exactly I gotta do here? I know we played a lot of Forza, and I did like that FFB, so if you've gotten settings to feel good for you I'll stick to that and trust your judgment there.

Right now I'm looking at:

Step 0: reset my wheel settings in game and calibrate
Step 1: copy the ??? FFB folder to My Documents/Project CARS/.
Step 2: beyond my ability to comprehend right now

And yeah I'm fine with firing up Notepad++ to find and replace all.

As for car settings, where do I configure degrees-to-lock? I prefer lower values, in the 180-200 range. Most cars in the game are fine but I found the Focus RS to require a lot more turning than I cared for.

Sorry for being annoying with all this. I hope the console users don't need to go this far.

The focus RS has weird feedback, not a lot until the tires get warm. Try messing with a different car or let the tires warm up. Renault Megane, The merc hatch... they all feel different but feel pretty good. Try a formula a too, it's great fun.

What I did was copy that folder down to the right place, do the find and replace to restore the wheel lock, calibrate the wheel, calibrate the FFB (basically just make sure tire force is at 100 (I didn't have to change much, I'm using a thrustmaster wheel) and then try some cars. If you're using a logitech I believe you have to set deadzone reduction to something like 16 to get the feedback to be spread across the entire wheel rotation. Like, if feedback doesn't kick in until the wheel is turned far enough that means you have to reduce that deadzone with that particular setting in the wheel feedback calibration screens.

I wouldn't recommend changing the wheel degrees because the game does that on the fly per car to match their real life lock to lock rotation. You can change the steering ratio in the car tuning to make things more comfortable, so play with that until you get a setting you're comfortable with.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

simosimo posted:

Whenever I come to a stop I can't accelerate again with the G27? It's like the car goes dead when coming to a halt or spinning [to a stop]. Pretty lame, but i'm sure it's just a control config mishap? Auto clutch is on, as the stick shifter is useless with this game.

The shifter isn't useless. You have to bind each gear position.

What's happening is your car is dying because it stalls when you come to a stop in gear. you need to bind a button to "start engine"

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've had this game since Thursday and I just now started career mode. Up to this point I was just hotlapping and dialing in settings. These karts are fun.

I have a question about fuel load for racing. I know I should bring it down but in career mode (at least with the karts) there's no practice session so I don't know how much fuel I use per lap. I've been taking it down to 2l and that's been fine, but am I missing some place where I can set it to use optimum fuel load for the race automatically or do I need to do the math myself?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SanitysEdge posted:

Theres a free practice mode if you back out of career mode, if you know how many laps you are going to run you can go run the laps in free practice first.

In other series in the career mode there are practice sessions and qualifying, right? It's just the kart sites that don't have those?

TheScott2K posted:

I would like to play the definitive version of this game on the Ford Fusion of consoles, the XBox One. How much more excellent is it than the other versions?

It's the most graphically crippled version there is, but it still looks great. Just not as great as ps4 which isn't as great as PC on max settings.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 13, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah I tried one of those on the xbone (different brand) and it was terrible.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Athanatos posted:

How do I get my UI to look like this?

I cant get the Lite Speedometer to show up with the map instead of the dumb looking dashboard one.

Cockpit or helmet view has this ui.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dubious posted:

I just spent about 5 hours playing this on PS4 and it's just :circlefap:

I really wonder what this will do to Polyphony and their approach to GT7 because this game is so good I don't even know what GT could do to get me to go back.

The engine sounds, oh my god.

The only thing GT has on this, in my opinion, is GM cars (I'm a huge GM guy). Which I think Project CARS will have eventually anyway because there's Chevy and Corvette banners on the tracks.

Those banners are there at the real track (road America). I wouldn't assume that based on the banners.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BlackMK4 posted:

What do the control modes do?

I am also curious about this and haven't found any clear descriptions.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Athanatos posted:

What do I need to do to get on the community leaderboards? Nothing I do will save my times.

It's also not saving my times per track in just singleplayer stuff. Every track I pick says my best time is N/A

Are you doing your driving in Free Practice or the Time Attack?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Feenix posted:

Tire pressure changes after a lap, though?

Tire pressure changes with tire temperature, and 1 lap can be enough to raise the temperature.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Is Monaco the azure coast track because gently caress that track.

It's azure circuit. Azure coast is a fictional road in the same region.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I play with it on 80. I haven't tried it more difficult yet and the only races I've actually done are kart races. Once I know the track I win every time and lap a few backmarkers. I'm going to try turning it all the way tonight after I install my new video card this game made me buy (gtx 970)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Karts are awesome. This game lured me back to pc gaming after many years of being on consoles. What applications do I need to make voice chat work-related and what settings do I need to link up with the other goons playing?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

bUm posted:

FTFY.

I guess it's a little different for a racing game where a push to talk can be a bit more difficult, but still.

I'm going to disagree with you here. Console gamers rarely have push to talk enabled and with a game requiring focus like this it's a bit much.

Keeping the mic away from your face so you're not broadcasting your breathing to the world should be enough.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is anyone going to be around at ten eastern tonight? I'd love to try online and don't want to brave pubbies.

• Locked thread