Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile

Bobby Deluxe posted:

if you like games where you deliver things from one place to another with challenges inbetween, and like getting interesting / beautiful / weird cutscenes as a reward for doing so, you will probably like death stranding

i was going to make a joke reply in response to this post when I realized that I really do like games where I deliver things from one place to another with challenges inbetween

heck i've enjoyed like every fallout game, and they don't even give you cutscenes when you deliver things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

i have finally broken down and bought a switch. it should arrive in about a week, along with breath of the wild and witcher 3--which i started on my ps before it shot craps.

goodbye to my productivity i guess

but hello to fanciful swordplay

Prof. Crocodile

Jolo posted:

drat, "If You Must" isn't in the game because it was in THPS3.

probably the best song about washing your rear end. top 3 at least.

Prof. Crocodile

nut posted:

find me a puuzzle game that aint am i right

is dr Mario a sexual being? that game makes me horny I know that much.

Prof. Crocodile

i've played like 3 video games in the past 5 years, but i just got a switch and i have been playing witcher 3. and to be honest i'm not super into it. the stories that comprise the are very good--which i guess is to be expected when it's based on successful fantasy novels--but i'm really not enjoying the gameplay. the leveling is kind of pointless, and it seems like there aren't any unique monster designs at all. maybe i did too many side quests and the game just wore out its welcome.

right now i'm just forcing my way to through it so i can start breath of the wild.

Prof. Crocodile

Jolo posted:

can I kick it?

*waits patiently*

Finger Prince posted:

Yes you can!

go on then

Prof. Crocodile

pecan posted:

coming in to say that shiren the wanderer owns and if u like roguelikes and rpgs that I rec it

This looks old school as heck. I might enjoy this, but I am so bad at consuming video games that I can really only play one every couple of months or so.

Prof. Crocodile

My joyful slog through my video game backlog continues. I finished Breath of the Wild and it was amazing, and now I am on XCOM2. Once I got past the initial frustrating learning curve it really opened up, and it is a real joy to micromanage the combat and support stuff.

The in-combat cut-scene animations are still kind of wonky sometimes, but they don't come up too often and they're in no way bad enough to detract from the actual game. Long load times kind of stink, but that's probably my fault for buying a Switch.

Prof. Crocodile

posting smiling posted:

i've also been on a turn based tactics rpg game from my backlog but it's the spiderweb software rpg avadon. i bought the spiderweb bundle years ago and hadn't gotten around to digging into them, but it proved to be sort of the perfect level of engagement for my gaming attention span at the moment.

when i played xcom 1 and 2 they were very much games that i enjoyed for the first 10 hours before i felt too overwhelmed by the amount of mechannics you have to understand.

Oh man I remember spiderweb games. I played the heck out of those and even tried out their game designer when I was a younger croc. Imma look into Avadon right now.

Prof. Crocodile

Jolo posted:

I'm playing Fallout New Vegas. I shot the head off of a giant ant and it popped off in one solid piece. It was in self defense. I'm gonna find Chandler and I'm gonna tell him that shooting me was really rude.

If they had allowed you to kill Ross instead of Chandler it would truly be the best game of all time.

Prof. Crocodile

Jolo posted:

I'm having an alright time with New Vegas but now I keep running into groups of Caesar's legion that are nearly invincible. I'm trying to go way out of my way on the map to avoid them and I still keep running into them. Most of the enemies in this game take damage from my guns but these guys take dozens of headshots and keep on going, it just seems kinda dumb. The combat sucks so there doesn't seem to be a strategy I'm not thinking of to make them manageable. Am I missing something? I'm about 10 hours in and I'm trying to go to Boulder but these bozos are along the way.

You might have accidentally killed Vulpes Inculta back at the beginning of the game when you first encountered the legion.

My old roommate did that on his first play though when he was just doing wtf ever, and he had to restart because the legion kept sending endgame-level death squads after him, which made it impossible for him to make any progress.

Prof. Crocodile

starbucks hermit posted:

I beat zelda botw recently and it's a really good game. I think I was way too OP for the final area. The only thing that I didn't like was the forest maze.

When I beat a game, I like to watch the GDQ version. Man, there's some insane stuff going on there. I had my mind blown when I saw the speedrun of Bioshock Infinite, but the BOTW speedrun is whole new levels of :psyduck:

I played botw a couple of months ago and just loved it. It was so perfectly a Zelda game, right down to the art assets, and some of the showcase events, like hang gliding to shoot the eyes off the possessed dragon at night in a snowstorm, were just beyond awesome.

and I can honestly say i never thought about a speed run. kind of curious how one would even pull it off. got to be pretty good at parrying I guess?

Prof. Crocodile

prepuce repurposed posted:

came here 2 brag. I'm technically an mk11 "god"

:smug:

and on his holy tabernacle were engraved the words “live mas”

Prof. Crocodile

the souls games were what got me back into video games after I had sworn them off for 5 years or so, when I had tired of lazy FPS and sports game clones, and had no interest in indie platformers. it was the first time in years that I can remember seeing a game where it was obvious that the company gave enough of a gently caress to let the designers be master craftsmen instead of just code monkeys.

the art is gorgeous, the animations are seamless, the sounds and voice acting project a haunted lonely feel, the monsters are intimidating, and the lore is sparse and intriguing. when combined with the complex combat mechanics and masterful level design, the meticulously crafted atmosphere conveys a genuine feel of a grueling desperate progress toward an unknown destination against incredible odds.

playing a souls game is a deeply engaging experience, instead of just being light entertainment.

Prof. Crocodile

I started playing civilization 6 on the switch and it has hooked into the obsessive part of my brain, and I don’t like it.

I would throw the game card away, but since I downloaded it I will probably just have to throw the switch away instead. :ohdear:

Prof. Crocodile

Jolo posted:

Beat Theseus in Hades for the first time and nearly beat what I'm guessing is the final boss. Turns out that wasn't even their final form!

Game is good.

Been trying to grab the Athena dodge deflect boon most of the time but this time I had Zeus's lightning dodge and jolted which makes bolted enemies hurt themselves the next time they attack. That worked really well and had me using the dodge more offensively than normal.

I've found that I have more success with things that do damage passively like Dio's hangover and Ares's Doom.

Dio's Hangover is the name of my Black Sabbath tribute band.

Content: Still playing Civ6. It's not nearly as good as Civ4 imho, but maybe it opens up a little bit more with DLC. One thing is for sure--the GUI is terrible, at least on the switch. As you navigate through the menus, the button that you are resting on has only a very faint illumination surrounding it, so it's hard to tell what you are about to do until you do it. Fortunately almost every decision needs a second step or needs to be confirmed, so it's an annoyance and not an emergency.

Prof. Crocodile fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 16, 2021

Prof. Crocodile

Jolo posted:

Civ is one of those games that really seems like it should be up my alley because I love big complicated board games but it never clicks with me. I've installed 5 and 6 a dozen times and watched other people play but I just don't end up having any fun with it.

you make an interesting point, in that now that I think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone actually enjoying a strategy game.

you just doggedly pursue them out of obsession/compulsion, your mind racing with options as you kick yourself over not having built that base one turn earlier...

Prof. Crocodile

Bobby Deluxe posted:

civilisation:revolution is fun on consoles and civ rev 2 is on mobile

its like civ but a bit more simplified and faster

so exactly like how they made crack

Pollum pollum, otemgru.

Prof. Crocodile

RickRogers posted:

An old friend is bugging me to install it. Hoping he will also get bored of it soon and we can play something good together like single player RPGs with occasional reports on our progress to the other.

18 January. Sighted slimes. Sank same.

Prof. Crocodile

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

My man have you tried Carol Vorderman's Sudoku on the Sony Playstation 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XJWYAG0zCE

as in carol vorderman the math milf from the bbc?

Prof. Crocodile

I just found out you can play Super Metroid for free on the switch, and holy cow that game imprinted on me when I was young. I'm just running through some random hallway and I'm like "wait, I think there's an energy tank if I shoot the ceiling." And there is!

Prof. Crocodile

I feel like RDR is the very best that Rockstar has to offer. It has the deep interactive open world with a storyline interwoven throughout that they have mastered, but without the farcical characters and cringy toilet humor that seems to creep up in all their other games.

But that is just my opinion, reflecting my own taste in games and storytelling, and I wouldn't be surprised if many people feel just the opposite.

Prof. Crocodile

Bobby Deluxe posted:

why no sherrif i do not have a problem, i believe it is you that has a problem

Missing only the 5 legendary 'Fleetwood Mac' pokey mans, I would wager.

Prof. Crocodile

I am playing Link's Awakening now, and the claymation vibe just delights me.

Gonna need a new switch game eventually. Was kind of hoping Dishonored 2 or Bloodborne would get ported, but I think in my heart I knew better.

Prof. Crocodile

nut posted:

what kinda game u looking for?

I am pretty open to anything genre-wise, although I don't like sports games or jrpgs anymore--nothing about the genres themselves, I just got older.

Was kind of thinking of South Park Fractured But Whole or maybe Control, but IDK.

Weren't you playing some horror game recently? How was that?

Prof. Crocodile

The only game I played in memory with a meaningful difficulty setting was Civ. And holy cow is it meaningful. The computer players get progressively more creative and aggressive, and I am like 90% sure they also get bonus build points and great person points and stuff.

Prof. Crocodile

I also see a lot of artsy looking Indie games that look cool, but IDK if they are any good. Some of them surely are, but geez they sure blur together, and all the online reviews I see are so general as to be useless. Not that I can get mad about that. I think Indie game makers outnumber Indie game reviewers like 100 to 1.

Prof. Crocodile

itry posted:

What kind of games are you interested in? Someone here is bound to know about some indies :haw:

That is a good question. I always linger over the artsy atmospheric ones like carto or bermuda or broken circle or w/e. But those also seem like they might just be overgrown puzzles, so once again IDK. :negative:

Prof. Crocodile

itry posted:

Hmm...

On a 0 to 1 scale, how important are these aspects to you: Action. Puzzles. Soundtrack. Art. Playtime (short - endless). Difficulty/Challenge.

This is 2d/3d/RT/TB/Genre agnostic. You might get anything.

This is an interesting approach. I am only now realizing that I still select video games like a 9 year old looking at box art in Kay Bee Toys.

Action 7
Puzzles 3
Soundtrack 6
Art 9
Playtime - short 7
Difficulty 6

Prof. Crocodile

itry posted:

roulette wheel spinning sfx

Transistor is an indie Action game. Isometric RTwP.
There's some tactical thinking required in how to approach every "room".
It has great art, and a great soundtrack.
It's a relatively short game (4 to 6 hours), but it has a NG+ mode if you want more.
It has some challenge, and you can manually add to that challenge with some modifiers.

Edit: It also goes on Sale for as low as $3 - https://isthereanydeal.com/game/transistor/info/

that game in fact does look p cool. I have queued it up for purchase in the switch store. Thanks itry!

Prof. Crocodile

Dixville posted:

I got sucked into stardew valley again the last few weeks. I keep starting new files. Here's my quaint little mobile farm summer year 1

This is a lovely farm, thank you for sharing it.

Stardew Valley is one of those strategy-esque games like animal crossing that I find very soothing watch but very stressful to play, for some reason.

Prof. Crocodile

Dixville posted:

There's definitely a pretty overwhelming amount of different stuff you can do. That's why I'm always making new files. I usually don't play past year one on any individual one. I only have a few I've actually made it to year 3 on. Man I've played this game a lot in the past... what, 5 years? Almost?

I have a pretty similar deal. So many times I have restarted a Civ game that was going well just because I missed/overshot some particular milestone or date. In December I actually rage-uninstalled Civ 6 just because I was staying up too late playing it.

Prof. Crocodile

Prof. Crocodile posted:

that game in fact does look p cool. I have queued it up for purchase in the switch store. Thanks itry!

Update: I downloaded transistor and it is very cool. Beautifully atmospheric with a very deep combat system and a dystopian narrative that you just kind of get dropped in the middle of.

That having been said, judging games solely on box art got me Chrono Trigger, Eye of the Beholder II, and Deus Ex. Not ready to abandon that system just yet.

Prof. Crocodile

Sally posted:

tbf transistor has pretty rad box art

Ha! It is a perfect system!

Prof. Crocodile

sb hermit posted:

eye of the beholder II for pc-dos?

yes. I kinda forgot about the console version to two you the truth.

Prof. Crocodile

nut posted:

i finished rd2 in 69 hours and it was v good

lol nice

Prof. Crocodile

I am behind the technology curve and it is awesome. By the time I finally get a console they are plentiful, (relatively) affordable, have (most of) the bugs worked out, and have a good library of games to choose from.

Prof. Crocodile

Bobby Deluxe posted:

something is wrong with mine because if i install more than one game, it starts giving ce-34878-0 errors, which is just a general 'the data was corrupted' error

could be the memory, unlikely to be the hdd because this is the 3rd one i have tried, could be the hdd controller, could be the processor or mobo

it being on its last legs means when it goes i am more likely to upgrade more as a replacement than anything else

When I got ce-34878-0 it was like the canary dying in the coalmine.

First I got it. Then a week later I got it again. Then the next week it was five times, then ten, then every hour or so... the PS4 still *technically* works if you just want to watch netflix or something.

It was the motherboard. :(

Prof. Crocodile

Joey McChrist posted:

i got resident evil 7 and its spooky af. i don't think this cannibal family is on the level you guys

This game is fuckin scary, and apparently it is available on some VR headsets, but ump that noise.

On a semi-related note, I have noticed that horror and gore effect me more as I have gotten older. I am actually more of a scaredy-cat as an adult than I was as a child. How does this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

nut, el dorito, and prepuce repurposed hunting virtual ghosts would be a great Ghostbusters reboot imho.

I am just spitballing here, but I think that hijinks might ensue.