Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Why would a tow shop ask you if you were at fault in an accident and then ask if you have collision?

Is it to ask if they need to charge you directly (my collision coverage is supposed to cover all towing/storage/etc)?

I got into a crash last night that resulted in my undriveable vehicle being towed to a shop in that town and I just called to ask about cleaning my junk out of it/taking plates/etc.

Also, assuming the car is totaled (it’s an 04, it’s totaled) what’s the deal wrt selling it/parting it out/harvesting its guts? The insurance pays the shop to hold it during appraisal, etc but once it’s done I’m assuming either the responsibility falls to the owner to move the car or ownership transfers to the insurance as part of the appraisal payout right? Does the shop get the car? I literally have no idea, nobody in my family’s totaled a car like this before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Ugh, got a check engine light in my '13 Audi A4 today. Again. P2188 too rich at idle.

Hope it's something simple like a vacuum hose that gave up the ghost at 91k ish miles and just has to be replaced. It sounds like it could be somewhat challenging to troubleshoot. It's probably minor but just over the sensor threshold because I don't notice any major symptoms. It shakes a tiny bit at idle when hot but I chalked that up to being an old car. The minor shaking goes away when in gear, I only notice it in N or P.

I'll take it to the dealer :( anyone gotten that code?

Do never get early 2010s German cars unless you like lightening your wallet.

ten years and ~170k miles in a 2009 A4–that went through like $12k in work, three years of fighting with Audi about warranty, two transmissions, like 55% of the engine being replaced between a combination of a recall and the aforementioned warranty poo poo, did I mention two transmissions?, and a gorillion bottles of oil—is why my mom’s boss was able to talk my dad into a Model 3 last year with remarkable ease.

TBH I dunno if I’m that keen on a GTI to replace the CRV anymore....Mazda3 it is, I guess?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
more like Ligma engine, amirite

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I brought my Drake posted:

Stupid question! My dad has a 2019 Ford F-150 that doesn't have a CD player in it. It has Bluetooth but he doesn't own a Bluetooth device. Digital music, Spotify, etc., he "doesn't want to fool with it." (Stubborn old redneck.) I don't even know how to begin looking for a Bluetooth compatible CD player for his truck. I'm guessing this is some kind of aftermarket part that he can purchase and get installed somewhere? Must also be redneck-compatible.

Does he have a smartphone? When you say “no digital music” does that mean, like, “no iTunes in 2006” either?

Because if he can run an iPod he can run a Spotify, you just gotta load it on his phone and make him use it.

If there’s a headphone jack-style Aux in port (there’s gotta be an analog Aux in right?) then I’d just be looking for a standard portable CD player that you can run off batteries and/or the cigarette lighter. Hell, get an old Discman off eBay or whatever if you can’t/don’t wanna find a decent one new.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 21, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Amazon sells them. You're not going to get anything that will look OEM, so you'll have to kludge something up. USB is another option if the truck has it. Some infotainment systems will read USB drives, otherwise you can use it to power a device.

If it can read usb it can usually charge your phone/iPod/etc and read its audio.

In the case of like, your dad’s phone/Spotify, he’d still be using that but at least it wouldn’t be Bluetooth. Plugging the phone/whatever in with USB cable is at least a big step reduced and idiot-proof.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
what’s the horse’s name? can we get a pic?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I hope this forum is alive in 200 years and someone posts in whatever this thread becomes looking for advice on fixing whatever vehicle they use to tow their car around.

I hope this forum is alive in 200 years and we’re all trapped inside

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don’t really think you can extrapolate that precisely from a totally different car with almost no shared parts produced at a different plant.

Esp not with a B8 A4. I feel like half of those grenaded themselves multiple times starting at like 50k miles and half of them are hitting 200k relatively episode-free without doing the whole “RIP Blueberry, thought of high miles and poo poo out her transmission” schtick

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all lead-acid 12v batteries in the US are made by like 3 companies so it's all a matter of marketing and warranty. get something from a reasonable brand name or a reputable parts store with a good warranty and you'll be fine.

c-c-c-c-commoditized!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
is this a normal/acceptable amount of rust for a New England (Vermont, specifically) car, MY 2017, with ~65k miles? It's a Mazda3 Hatchback that looks/feels/drives/runs good. Full service record, clean carfax, PO traded it in to the Mazda dealership offering it for sale. Slightly higher than average, but not unreasonable, miles especially for a commuter. Otherwise the car seems reasonably well-maintained and not abused.

The car isn't CPO (although apparently I can pay for the cert if I want?) but it's been inspected for state compliance and supposedly given the same inspection the CPOs get on the dealer's end. The dealer's reputable, AFAIK. Part of a large area network across MA/VT/NH/NY.

(driver's side)

(pass. side)

(zoom)

(sideways, for some reason)

(zoom-zoom)

(driver's side headlight)

(detail)

(enhance!)

(sideways now)

(driver's side)

(pass. side)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

tbh i think this works pretty well in favor of the customer in this instance

word

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

surf rock posted:

This feels like an intensely dumb follow-up question, but: how do you really wash off a car during winter time? I can't run the hose outside, and if I tried to run it inside somehow I would end up creating an insanely dangerous ice patch in my garage. I could go through a car wash, but wouldn't I just be reintroducing the problem between the car wash and home? Or is the idea just that I'd have less road salt and therefore slower rust accumulation as a result of going through the car wash?

The issue is that people let their car get encrusted with salt and then it stays like that all season long until spring.

Idk about the Midwest, but generally the roads in MA aren’t 100% salted 100% of the time. There are days it rains, the snow melts, it’s relatively warm, it’s relatively dry, etc. There might be a night or two of heavy salt application and then after about a week most of that salt’s been washed away, but a lot of the cars will still have their lower thirds caked.

Or it will rain/melt/wash off over the course of driving and the car will look clean at first glance, but the vulnerable undercarriage will remain salty.

So if you can get your underbody sprayed down once a week/every two weeks, even at like a coin-op booth car wash for 2 minutes, it greatly cuts down on the amount of time and volume of salt exposure. The trick is to do it regularly enough that the car doesn’t spend more than like a few weeks with salt crust. Obviously don’t spray it the night before a snowfall or when there’s salt visibly on the road, but usually there’s at least a few days of dry weather in between applications.

Leaving the car outside isn’t so much the problem as getting it salty is. My E36 lives outside but since it doesn’t get moved in winter it doesn’t really get rustier.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 14, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Uthor posted:

I heard inside is worse because it melts the snow and leaves ice water on the vehicle while outside the snow will stay frozen and leave a protective layer.

Not saying I think that, but it's the reasoning I read about.

It’ll wash/blow/dew off outside a lot more easily

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

Yea I think the portable disc players on the market now can charge by usb then output through aux. Good idea. In addition, I bet the sound quality would be better buying a cheap official cd for a few bucks compared to some 128kbit youtube stream. Sweet, sounds like a plan

I hope you christen the Discman and celebrate your freedom from another operating system by spinning some Taking Back Sunday :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
could somebody please explain the last part of this CarFax to me?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHisto...UC6J4W5RtriN43E

was this car repossessed by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation and then sold to the Ohio DMV? Should I avoid this car? The price is pretty good (given the times) and the car looks like it's in good shape from visual assessment.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 18, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Krakkles posted:

That’s the source of information, not who bought it. It was transferred in Ontario, then transferred in Ohio, then sold at auctions

How might it have moved that way? Forgive me, I don’t know how the used market works in that area, by which I mean pre-dealer wholesale/etc.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Krakkles posted:

And, sorry, I clarified some missteps there, but:

I own a car. I get it inspected in Ontario. I sell it to a dealer in Ohio, who registers it, then sells it via an auction house.

👍

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Powershift posted:

Traded in by customer to dealer
dumped at dealer auction > inspection
Bought by used car lot > inspection https://www.autoconnectsales.ca/vehicle.asp?ItemID=357960
Bought by Ohio dealer, titled in Ohio
dumped at dealer auction within 1 month and 9 miles. https://plc.ua/auctions/lot/ford-fiesta-2014-vin-3fadp4gx8em201467-mh-3fadp4gx8em201467/
Now being sold by Used car lot in New Jersey

The Ohio dealer could just be an importer/wholesaler who doesn't bother with sales to end users, but risking the loss by selling it at a dealer auction after importing it seems crazy to me. Ontario also uses an obscene amount of road salt, and that would worry me.

Does it help that the car got underbody coating/rustproofing at some point? It’s in the CarFax.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
this is a stupid curiosity question, apologies if it's inappropriate: are BMW's/ZF's torque converter automatic transmissions, the ones they've been putting in like all their cars like the M240i, etc, really "as good as or better than" a real dual clutch (like of the sort VAG uses) when using paddles? I've heard people say they're as quick and precise to shift without any of the downsides or idiosyncracies of PDK but I don't believe it.

If they're so much better then why would VAG, etc stick to using a complex, occasionally temperamental, relatively fragile system vs the relative bulletproof-ness of a torque converter? It's not like ZF wouldn't sell them a transmission if they wanted one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They're better if you are starting from a clean sheet, but they're not better if you have invested a ton of time effort and money in dual clutch transmissions. VW makes DSG gearboxes in Kassel at an internal plant that employs like 16,000 people and moving to other transmissions would be expensive.

plus the really good zf transmission that everyone talks about, the 8HPXX, is longitudinal only and could maybe work on MLB, but VW uses DSG on FF MQB as well

makes sense, thanks

so did KIA/Hyundai do a similar thing? Is that why they've got DSGs in all their crossovers now? Did they do it to distinguish themselves from all the brands using CUVs and 10-speeds?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

don longjohns posted:

Hello! My friend is making a Dungeons and Dragons character for a very stupid off-brand Lego adventure. He wants to make a wizard, with a crystal skull for a head, who rides a motorcycle, and the motorcycle is a big aspect of his character. Could anyone here please suggest fun motorcycle-themed phrases and idioms he could use for the game?

Thank you! I plan to check back a few times this week. He is very excited.

sounds like you guys should watch/read some Ghost Rider

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

Also with the 99 Civic, it seems like the valve cover gasket is seeping and I want to replace it. Anything else I should do while I do that (aside from plugs)?

shocks? rims? fart can? tow ring?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I found my E36 on Craigslist and it was totally great

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
also like a ton of old hifi and pro audio gear

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

The previous owner of my house I guess had a boat, I've been cleaning out a shed and found several marine style fuel tanks and 6 plastic Jerry cans with various amounts of hydrocarbons of an unknown age and composition in them. What's the best way to get rid of that poo poo?

check your local municipal website for chemical waste disposal info. There should be an office you can contact

E: fb, didn’t notice that

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pumped up for school posted:

My dad has a degree in chemistry. Worked in foundries for several years before taking a job as an automotive engineer in stamping. I always thought he was a pretty bright dude.

When he found a random jar of fluid in his shop, he threw it in our quarterly drum fire. Neighbors heard the boom a mile away from the explosion. I still give him poo poo about that.

that Ramses Smuckles poo poo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Imagined posted:

So if I've rewatched old Top Gear too many times, seen all of Grand Tour, and watched every Regular Car Reviews video, what other cars+humor poo poo should I watch next? Seinfeld's show doesn't do it for me.

James May's been pretty active these days on youtube, doing food stuff and bike stuff and making his own gin. He even responded to one of my questions once :swoon:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

I want to start looking at newer, sportier cars than my daily and I like the idea of going back to a stick. Problem is the manual is dying in the US more every year.

So my question is this, have any of you gone from a stick to a flappy paddle gearbox in a modern sports car and feel like it scratches the itch, or should I just banish myself to muscle/WRX/Golf land if I want something fun I can feel connected to?

I bought a FiST :shrug:

if I had the space/money/flexibility to have a(nother) single purpose car it’d probably be an MX5

if I needed it to also pull Daily/Grocery Getter duty I’d wait for the new manual Civic hatches to come out. That + the $40k to swing it and I’d be in a Type R in a heartbeat. Honestly if your concern is “manuals dying out/becoming rare” I’d steer you toward a Honda over a VW/Ford

Are you looking for more of a Sporty Daily or is this strictly gonna serve as a weekend partner to your existing car?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

There’s no manual on the M340i, otherwise it’d be perfect.

Now the M240i, that did come with a manual until the new 2022 model

The incoming Civic Si is gonna be sweet

Good looking sedans are cool and all, but I’ll always be a hatch and wagon-loving Jalop at heart

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

Yea I looked at those BMW’s but the 3 would have been out of budget regardless and the 2022 M240i has to have some catch for being that price.

I assumed it would be tiny in person. They don’t even call it a sedan, it’s a 4 door coupe.

I think I’m gonna lean toward a WRX if the 2022 ends up being cool or a 2019-2021 deal pops up.

I’d look at used manual M240is, you can get em in the $25-45k range

But also I’m really smitten with the new Civics and I’m so excited to see what the type R/Si bring

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

I got into a scrape with a parking lot post. The side of the car doesn't appear to be deformed but the paint is scratched up. There's definitely a bunch of the post's white paint embedded into my dark gray, I don't know if the scratch is down to the metal or the primer.

My question is how realistic is this to for me to fix the damage or at least make it not immediately obvious? Are there things I can try on my own without a significant risk of ruining it further?

If it helps it's a 2012 Toyota Camry.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

get the kit that matches your car, watch some YouTube vids, do a little sanding, apply a little primer/paint/topcoat

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

no hay camino posted:

I just got my license permit and I'm looking to build up experience behind the wheel. I'm looking at driving schools and some of these places make alarm bells ring in my head. I drove a bit in my dad's car and I quickly realized that it's going to take hours and hours of practice to learn how to drive or even be ready for the driving test. But some of these places say poo poo like "you'll know how to parallel park in 2 hours for $200!" I'm not interested in dropping 1000s of bucks to learn how to drive. Even for more reputable places I see rates of $70 an hour, 48 - 70 hours of practice to be able to do a driving test and that's $3360 - $4900 in total.

Do you guys recommend doing driving schools to learn how to drive? I don't really want to beg a friend to ride their car and risk driving it over a curb or something stupid.

E: I guess if that's the reality of learning how to drive I'll bite the bullet.

If you plan to ultimately buy a car at the end of it you could have a trusted friend help you pick it out and then learn in that, but yeah.

Generally people avoid paying $5k for road time by getting their hours in on a family member’s/parent’s car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Uthor posted:

I remember my GTI wearing out the rears faster as they were smaller and had less material to wear despite doing less work.

Charles posted:

Some Mazda 3s seem to wear out the rear brakes quickly.

I wonder how much of that is the result of brake-based torque vectoring/traction control stuff

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Make: Toyota
Model: Prius
Year: 2013

So tonight my steering wheel is making a sound of plastic sliding against other plastic.

Here's a video for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ipxkTdrt4

What's going on exactly? How do I fix this?

Is the plastic housing on the back of the wheel detached? Or maybe the housing covering the steering column? Sounds like those two trim pieces are rubbing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Guess I'm heading to a mechanic?

That should’ve been your first move

I will never take another car to a Valvoline ever since they managed to gently caress up a fluid change on my E36 a few years back (I went at the suggestion of my dad. Thanks dad :rolleyes:)

It’s *only* basic maintenance but it’s the basic maintenance equivalent of having bodywork + paint done at MAACO

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

new lingua ignota LP sounds brutal

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

That's what it looks like. There's probably a lot of fine print to it, though. If you've got an 06-08 Civic with a cracked block, it would be worth pursuing.

Oh man, and I just saw a thing on buying and fixing up old Civics/Si and now I really covet one. Get it nice and cleaned up. Put tasteful 17”s on it. Maybe splurge a bit and get a paint job.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Wegmans isn’t that bad. And I’ve been spoiled for supermarket riches my whole life

It’s definitely not at all like Costco tho

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

luminalflux posted:

Moving back from sweden to the US, not having to bag my own groceries was a trip. One thing I deeply miss from there as well were the self-scanning tricorders - you check out a handheld scanner from a bank of them using your loyalty card, scan stuff and bag as you go.

I’ve seen those at Whole Foods and Stop&Shop before, like years ago. Guess they were being piloted and ultimately weren’t rolled out more broadly

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Ron Stellantis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm looking to get a slightly used VW Golf to act as a daily commuter for a couple of years. We've noticed that all the newer Golfs are 1.4L, slightly older models (2018 and before) have the option of that or 1.8L.

I care only about getting from A to B, but we're wondering if the bigger engine would have better performance when trying to navigate in snow. I live in Montréal, so heavy snow conditions are common, as is having your street-parked car be blocked in by a wall of snow when the plow goes past.

Would engine size make any difference?

Can you get a GTI? Why wouldn’t you get a GTI?

There’s no reason to get a Golf and deal with Golf/VW problems if it isn’t a GTI.

You might as well consider a Mazda3 or a Civic Hatch or Honda Fit or Subaru or KIA/Hyundai or even a Toyota Hatch