Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I have a 2012 GTI.

Recently the ABS, Steering, Airbag, and tire pressure (blinking) lights came on at the same time (all yellow, no red). Front panel says Fault: Stabilization control and Error: Airbag. Car doesn’t feel any different while driving.

From my researching this is possibly a speed sensor or a wheel bearing failure. Tried going to Advance Auto Parts to read the codes to verify but apparently the free scanners they lend you only do check engine lights.

Can I get suggestions of midrange code readers to buy? Trying to look online and it’s not clear what will read what I need it to and not require some subscription to do it or cost $400. There’s also a ton of manufacturers and I don’t know what’s considered good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Anyone ever had an intermittent oil burning problem?

My ‘12 GTI (116k miles) had the oil separator replaced in May for what was a little over 1qt/1k mile oil burn. I checked after 400 miles and oil was still at the max hatch marks. 1500 miles later and I noticed a dip in gas mileage so I checked again and I was down 2qts. I filled back up to max hash and after 100 miles found I was down nearly 1/2qt. I filled it back up once more, drove 150 miles and it’s still at the top of max hash.

I’m getting it checked out later this week but wanted to get some thoughts here. Hot weather, harder acceleration, something else that would cause this?

I’ve been having other problems with it recently and if this one isn’t simple I might cave and look for a replacement car even with the absurd prices.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

It's about equivalent to a gutentight

This is how my friend taught me. The German method.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

HagridOfTheLibrary posted:

This summer has been hot, and for some reason the tint on the passenger side window has warped. Now I need to know if I can just replace the tint, or do I need to replace the whole window? Any ideas?

Do nothing, it looks kinda cool

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Pre-gore face

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

I tried jumping a “dead” dead battery once and nearly fried my own car.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

CainFortea posted:

My wife's 2013 honda fit goes through headlights like candy. I'm replacing one of them 4 times a year or more.

Just to clarify, you’re replacing one bulb 4 times a year (like just the left side) or you’re replacing throughout the year, either side, so 4 bulbs total?

One side would indicate something. Check the socket they plug into. I had a Mazda3 that ended up with a rusty socket I didn’t notice at first. The bulb would appear to die, removing and plugging in a new bulb would scrape away rust and get a good connection, then a few months later the rust would make it go “bad” again.

4 total between both sides, might depend how much your driving with them on and what brand you’ve been using. Cheap ones like Silverstar basics are often rated for something like 150 hours. 1 hour a day would get you 4 replacements a year.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

That Works posted:

I am sad that the gasoline puddle surrounding the car did not ignite on its own, would have been ideal.

Did not ignite, yet. There’s always tomorrow to try again.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

I own this exact sprinkler.

Is that your yard too? :tinfoil:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

So what’s the point of the fuse then? Seems like it should just be remove entirely.

Edit: ^^ yea, that

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

0.4v on a lead acid is almost certainly beyond recovery. You might be able to get it back with a dumb charger that will shove current at it no matter what, but I would plan on replacing it.

To expand on this, when they get super discharged like that for long periods of time, the lead sulfate crystals on the plates can be nearly impossible to reverse. That reduces the capacity of the battery. You might be able to charge it back to 12V but it may only be able to give you an amp or something for discharge power.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Now have your wife bring the car in and if they say it’s half the price they told you, well…

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’ve just asked people for a jump in the parking lot. If you’ve got the cables, almost nobody’s gonna say no.

I’d probably be one of the few to say no because of previous bad experience. I tried jumping my moms completely dead battery once. My car’s dashboard was flickering and going crazy, I had a hard time starting my car after, and less than a month later had to replace my battery because it wasn’t holding a charge anymore. Was never sure if it’s because her battery was so dead it overloaded mine or if it messed up the smart electronics (VW) in my battery (or just complete coincidence).

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Is it possible to bleed brakes by yourself? The only time I ever did brakes was with someone more knowledgeable and I had to press the brake while they dealt with loosening/tightening the valve otherwise it’d get air in the system. I don’t do brakes myself simply because of this limitation.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Raluek posted:

in addition to the ways posted about already (speed bleeders, pressure bleeder, vacuum bleeder) i have had some success using a method i read about recently: use a longer tube than normal, make sure it goes up a good 6-8 inches off the bleeder nipple before it comes back down into whatever bottle you're using. the idea is that you create a column of brake fluid in the vertical part, so you can sit in the driver's seat and pump away (:heysexy:) with the bleeder open. air and fluid will push through, and when you bring the pedal back up it'll suck some of the fluid back in. the bubbles should float to the top, so they shouldn't get re-ingested.

this has worked for me about two of the three times i have used it, the third time i probably didn't have it set up right. it's a little fiddly. but it's mostly free, and really simple once you have it set up.

Ha, I like it. I’ll have to investigate all these next time I need new brakes. Appreciate all the suggestions.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

devicenull posted:

Hello from VW world, where there's an entire component to simulate engine noise (Soundaktor)

I disabled this as soon as I found out about it.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

If you were getting a new car, what sort of “protections” would you get for it to keep it as free from damage and corrosion as you could, for a car being driven in the northeast?

Looking like I might be getting a premium GRCorolla for MSRP (first ever new car) and I’ve seen things like mud flaps, PPF, ceramic coating as things people are doing. Some of those can be a bit of money especially for a car that isn’t super fancy and not sure it’s worth it. I’ve never done any mods or extra coatings for my cars and just try to keep them washed during the winter and regular maintenance, so no experience there.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

latinotwink1997 posted:

If you were getting a new car, what sort of “protections” would you get for it to keep it as free from damage and corrosion as you could, for a car being driven in the northeast?

Looking like I might be getting a premium GRCorolla for MSRP (first ever new car) and I’ve seen things like mud flaps, PPF, ceramic coating as things people are doing. Some of those can be a bit of money especially for a car that isn’t super fancy and not sure it’s worth it. I’ve never done any mods or extra coatings for my cars and just try to keep them washed during the winter and regular maintenance, so no experience there.

Thanks for all the suggestions/input! Have some things to consider.

No garage unfortunately but hopefully in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm also jealous of how long most of you get out of batteries. I consider them questionable past 24mo and borrowed time after 36mo.

Battery of my 2012 GTI lasted like 9 years. And the only reason it did die I think, is trying to jump a completely dead battery. My car almost wouldn’t start after that. Had to replace the battery a couple weeks later.