Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's not been my experience. Your hand waving is doing a lot of heavy lifting. But at least you admit to that up front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's almost like the "deployment problems" solve themselves because people who don't own homes where they can install a charger and/or live where there are chargers don't have a problem. Because they don't buy EVs because they can't charge them.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 22, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

The concern isn't really the how or the technology. The technology exists and we know how to do it. The problem is that it's really loving expensive so...

"Make the grid capable of this" is way more than just a cost issue. But I mean, again....you do your thing and keep waving those hands.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes.

Rights of way, balancing short term environment concerns over long terms ones, nuclear power...........

Surely you are aware of these things being an issue at least in concept, right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

To explain the joke

Gentle reminder that if you have to explain a joke it's not funny.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

What color would you buy a new vehicle in if you knew you were going to be repainting it?

The depends on what color you're repainting it to and whether you're doing a full engine bay and door jambs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

Doorjams, yes, engine bay, nah. BRG would the new color.

BRG is probably going to want/need black primer. So a black car would seem to be the easiest answer to make priming simple, possibly single coat, with the added benefit that unpainted sections won't clash.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

WTFBEES posted:

Problem: starter continues to crank after attempting to start, even when the key is released or removed. Pulling the negative battery terminal is the only way we've got it to stop. Reconnecting the negative does not immediately restart the starter, but turning the key results in the starter stuck on again. Probing voltage, I cannot find anywhere the starting circuit is stuck on.

Starter solenoid?

That sounds more like wiring. Can you test the control side of the circuit right at the solenoid for the presence of 12v on key turned to crank and then see if it's still there when the key is turned back to run?

Lots of potential issues here, largely dependent on what this is in. Plenty of things have another relay on the PCM output that could be hanging, wires to it chaffed and causing this, etc. Id' want to poke around before firing a starter into it.

In fact if it's easy enough you can just jump 12v to the control side of the solenoid with the key in the run position and see if it hangs. Anything to get a bit more information on what's actually happening.

Pahonix posted:

I have a 2004 Lexus RX330 and have never done any maintenance on the shocks/struts and it has gotten to the point where you can tell. The last time I went somewhere to have my oil changed, they even brought it up to me, "Hey, you know you basically have no suspension?" I mean, it's not horrible, but like when I go out of my parking area at home, I can definitely feel the wheels... what's the term... not being suspended(?) lol?

Anyway, so since I was there and they already had the car up on the lift, I asked them for an estimate to fix what needed to be fixed and they quoted me roughly $2300 to do shocks and struts. I said thanks, but no thanks.

Since then (that was around Christmas), it seems like it has gotten a little worse in the sense that now, particularly in the mornings when I first get in the car, there is a knocking/rattling coming from the wheel/axle area. This also happens or is exacerbated if I hit a pothole or go over a speed bump, etc. So I definitely feel like I need to get this taken care of now.

I'm not very mechanically inclined and can't physically do any of this work myself. What would be the best strategy to finding some place to do this kind of service economically, yet reliably? Is this something I can call around and just ask what they will do it for? Will they need to look at the car first?

Sounds like you already have a solution and a quote. Sounds like a reasonable one too. You could take it somewhere else for a quote as well.

But the answer based on your post is "pay someone money to fix your car". If you live in a state with inspection you're not going to pass.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

WTFBEES posted:

Jumping from the big terminal on the solenoid (connected direct to battery positive) to the real little post (control I believe but am also don't know the right words here) results in the same "stuck" behavior described earlier, even after pulling the screwdrivers off.

No PCM or computers to worry about here. The vehicle in question is a mechanically original 1974 International Scout.

Yep, that's the test I was talking about. And that's a good confirmation and plenty enough for the simple electrical system you're dealing with,

Good job, that's a complete diagnosis. It's more that most people do. Replace that solenoid - or the whole starter. (I forget if those have a sperate solenoid like the Fords of the time did.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pahonix posted:

A reality check on the quote is appreciated. If that's reasonable, I don't really have a problem having these folks do it.

I don't know where you live, I don't know what quality of parts they are providing. But it's within a reasonable range for replacing what I assume are a couple of struts and a couple of shocks and then an alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Personally I've had iffy luck with trying to replace just the solenoid on starters; a whole replacement starter isn't much more (at least on Rockauto).

Yeah same. The kind mounted on the inner fender? Sure. But in this case I'd replace the whole starter.