Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

pnac attack posted:

what do you think breaks first on a car when it gets buried in snow? how heavy is snow per foot anyways?

Most (modernday) cars stand up to weight on the roof pretty well due to thicker A/B/C columns.

But if something is going to "break" under those circumstances the battery usually dies first. And if melted snow goes through any thaw-then-freeze cycles while the car is buried the trunk and door seals don't like that at all, especially if the frozen trunk or door is ripped open before the seeped in frost melts.

Snow's weight depends on its composition- is it fluffy light snow or wet snow? Or is it ice? Because ice can be as hard as concrete.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm buying a used car and had a look at a 2007 Honda Fit today. Underside of gas cap has a bit of milkshake-looking mud:

Cause for concern? Oil dip stick looked fine otherwise. Exhaust smoke looked normal.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 5, 2022

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 10, 2024

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Stupid question -- how often to brake calipers get stuck?

Not too often but it can happen. Especially if the owner is extremely negligent in routine vehicle maintenance and never replaces their brake fluid. Like my old parents, who were the only people I know who managed to kill a 99 Camry and 04 Highlander. In their case the seized pistons were the least of their worries after I took a good look at both vehicles. Noticed my dad's Highlander was always pulling to the right when I applied the brakes but he was convinced that "All it needs is a tire rebalancing" :woop:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 30, 2022

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I was looking at purchasing a used 2013 RAV 4 Limited with 128449 km (79 814 miles) on the odometer. Being sold at a local Toyota dealership. Put down a deposit but just noticed this item in its Carfax service history about a "Potential Odometer rollback":

Abandon ship? Or potential error by the Service Writer? I haven't sealed the deal yet but have already put down a deposit. No idea if the gauge cluster was replaced at any point. I brought this to the sales rep's attention and he said that rollbacks nowadays are "impossible" but wanted to know how credible or real an issue odometer rollbacks are in this day and age. The vehicle otherwise has a very detailed service history of mostly tire rebalances, air filter replacements, and a few oil changes.

Larger screenshot for reference:

I'm learning towards Service Writer fuckup but still am interested to hear in hearing your thoughts and experiences with this sort of thing.

On another note gently caress everything about buying a used vehicle in 2022. End rant.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 29, 2022

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

SkunkDuster posted:

Can you go back further? If the entry previous to 2019 June 10 was less than 68,000K, and all the other previous entries make sense, then the service writer probably transposed the first two numbers typing 86 instead if 68.

Heck yeah go nuts. Furthest back I can go is 2016.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

I'm with SkunkDuster, someone typing 86,900 instead of 68,900 fits perfectly, and I just can't imagine going through all the trouble to roll back an odometer for a few thousand km on a RAV4.

Yeah I can agree with that. It looks like the Service Writers were just rounding up the odometer numbers AND mis-typing (bad and wrong to do but more reflective of the mechanic than the owner). And seeing as how this owner did make a regular effort to have their vehicle serviced I feel confident that they weren't rolling back the odometer. Helps to have an outside perspective on this- thanks guys

Edited to add: on second thought the vehicle does look pretty suspicious. Not going through with this one.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 4, 2023

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I could use some advise on how to remove this security bolt from my 2018 Prius V's undercarriage:

Backstory: It's a security bolt for a catalytic converter shield. The bolt head got damaged at some point and now my security screw bit won't fit into the screwhead. I've tried using vise grips but the rounded bolt head doesn't allow me to get adequate grip. I also tried using Irwin bolt extractors but the smallest extractor (8mm) in my 5-piece set is too large for the bolt head.

Is it time to zip off the bolt head with a cutting disc and attempting to use a Grabit extractor on the threading? Just exploring all options so I can maybe avoid having to buy a larger, more expensive set of bolt extractor tools. And I know that the moment I drill into the security bolt it's no turning back from there.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 2, 2023

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Is this spark plug due for replacement? 2017 Rav4. Experiencing a slightly rough idle with above average fuel consumption and just trying to diagnose potential issues.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Here’s another angle of the spark plug. It was the only other angle I took a pic of as I needed to drive out somewhere.

But if its condition is less than ideal I might as well replace them. It’s from a vehicle that I just purchased used so no point in leaving it as-is if it isn’t too great.

It was throwing an error code- 24 hours after I took ownership (:suicide:). P0138 Bank 1 Sensor 2. Dealership I bought from said it was an oxygen sensor issue

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 15, 2024

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given that they're Densos and you just bought it I bet they're factory original plugs, so if the odometer's at six digits already I'd just swap them anyway.

And of course the dealer will say it's an oxygen sensor issue because that's the easiest interpretation of that error code and they can claim it just needs some high speed parts swapping. The color of that plug and the fact that you're describing poor running tells me it might actually be running rich and you have more to diagnose than just swapping the rear O2.

Yeah I’m pretty waiting for the CEL to turn back on after 5 kilometres.

But anyway I replaced my spark plugs and fuel economy is still the same and idle is still a bit rough. Is it worthwhile to clean the fuel injectors or should I just outright replace them? I get the feeling that the previous owner drove pretty this RAV4 pretty hard since it was a lease and he/she probably didn’t give much of a poo poo about their driving habits

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

How many km on the rav 4?

126 544 km. Carfax shows semi-regular oil changes at the local dealership but not much else.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Update on my Tucson and its ABS and headlight problems: The mechanic had found a rat nest between the main fuse box and the dashboard fuse box where something had chomped through eight wires. Repairing those wires got my headlights back but didn't recover my ABS. They're now looking into the opposite side of the front to see if something had moved in there and done the same for those wires I had seen disappear into the car before. Those wires had a ton of stuff going into the main ABS module.

I don't even know why rodents like chewing on wires. Bedding and other fluffy things, I get it. But wires. Why.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 15, 2024

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
2017 Rav4 XLE. The catalytic converter's heat shield is loose since 3 of it's 4 washer + bolts have disintegrated, which is causing an annoying rattle.

Do I really *need* to keep this heat shield, or can I remove it and call it a day? Normally I would replace it but the threading on the bolts is pretty much gone. Alternately I could just put in some new stainless steel self tapping machine screws and washers.

Edit: Screw it I'll just put in some new ss hex head bolts

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 16, 2023

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any reason why I shouldn't replace my calipers?

Every part of it is looking rustier than I expected- and I get Krown rustproofing done every year. I chalk it up to degraded build quality in current gen vehicles. Looks even rustier than my old '07 Corolla. There are currently no issues with the existing braking abilities I just wanted to swap them out BEFORE they decide to seize up on me.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 21, 2024

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I am replacing the outer CV boots after replacing my outer tie rods but need to buy boot band pliers. Do I need to buy "earless" clamps or ear-type clamps?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 21, 2024

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Should I get sun shades (the shiny ones that fold out and go over your front windsheidl) or an all-around ceramic window tint? I'll be getting a 2nd vehicle it will sit outside in an un-sheltered parking lot all day and it would be nice not to get into an oven at the end of each workday. I have a Weathertech sun shade for our other vehicle and it does great. But the Sienna is such a longer vehicle with bigger windows so I feel like a sun shade on the windshield may not cut it.

edit: will probably go front sun shade + all around tint since I'm pretty sure I can't tint the windshield where I live

Ok Comboomer posted:

you're way likelier to have your catalytic converter stolen than your rims these days
And security lug nuts won't do anything to deter a thief who really wants your rims. If anything they're more likely to make it difficult for you, the owner, to remove your wheels at a time where you really need to remove your wheels.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 21, 2024

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
So about paint protection film. Just got a new vehicle (2023 Sienna) and where I live the roads are in awful shape and trucks kick up lots of stones. Already have a stone chip on the lower third of my vehicle hood so I’ll be getting PPF put on.

Any point in doing the ENTIRE hood ($600 CAD) or should I just opt for getting the lower partial hood ($320 CAD) done? In my experience the worst chip damage occurs on the lower part of the hood.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Rustproofing question. I have been getting Krown rustproofing on my vehicle annually without issue and got a new vehicle (2023 Sienna) that will be getting its first Krown treatment this week. I’ve been hearing on other forums that Krown rustproofing has been causing rubber fittings and gaskets on newer vehicles to swell and degrade. I called a local Krown business and they confirmed that it is an issue with certain newer vehicles. Has something to do with the manufacturers cheaping out on their rubber components (newer vehicles use components with less real rubber). Which is why Krown now pre-treats with silicone first, then apply their Krown rustproofing.

Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

It swelled a little bit on my 09 Corolla. A guy I used to work with really bitched about it on his '20 civic. Never got to see the extent of the swelling on his car .

Yeah that's what I was afraid of hearing. On one hand I am glad that the local Krown owner told me up front that it has been an issue with newer vehicles and told me the steps he takes to reduce the chance of the issue occurring. On the other hand the swelling, from the pics I've seen, can get pretty bad. But then again I don't know what options exist for rustproofing nowadays. And I don't know how different the expensive one that I opted NOT to get at the Toyota dealership (for $1200) is.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 1, 2023