Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What is the current AI hivemind opinion of lowering springs vs coilovers on a torsion beam car?

Bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

LOWERING HEIGHT QUESTION.

I'm finally getting around to lowering my Mazda 2. The only question is how much drop? Going with the Corksport kit I'll lower 1.5 inches in front and 2 in the back. Megan will give me 1.25 inches in the front and 1 in the back. My inclination is to go with the Megan kit because this is still a car that needs to get around Vegas every day, but I've got other Corksport stuff on my car and I believe in their quality.

Thoughts?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Megan springs it is. Thanks!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Rain wouldn't be a factor in Amarillo. Actually nothing is a factor in Amarillo. Amarillo is unfathomably terrible void in which nothing matters and everything is awful.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Hire Reliable Carriers. They're not cheap, but they will white glove the poo poo out of your car.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sell everything you can't fit in the pod. For serious. Your Subaru isn't going to effectively tow anything. There's the option of renting a gigantic moving van and towing your car behind it, but that's going to cost you more in fuel than it's worth.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

still working on the altima that im trying to flip, whats the best way to go about degreasing and cleaning the oil leak residue that sits on top of the transmission? i was thinking of going over to a self car wash place, spray the areas with engine cleaner and then rinse off? i figure its a good idea to avoid spraying anything ignition related

You've got the right idea. I recommend purple stuff degreaser.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

So I just had new coilovers professionally installed on my 2012 Civic Si, and I've noticed a knock/thunk coming from the rear at low speeds. For background info, I got the new coilovers installed because the rear right damper blew on my old set (i figure that might be relevant in case the force from going over bumps transferred to other parts like the control arms, thus damaging them). It is hard to tell which side the noise is coming from; it kind of sounds like the center, although it may be the right. It's not particularly metallic, no clanging or grinding or vibrating––more of a deeper thunk. I can hear it going over some bumps, but not all. I went down a notably bumpy road, and it only made the noise once or twice. But when I back out of or head into my driveway, I can hear it and feel it slightly in my seat.

It's hard to tell how new this sound is, because my old suspension system was itself pretty noisy.

Edit: I tried removing everything from the trunk, including the spare tire and tools, but no dice.

Take it back to the shop - they didn't tighten something correctly.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You're never going to solve this problem and frankly with a car that old you're just going to encounter more and more situations like this. If you like I can take the car off your hands so you don't have to deal with an out of date deathtrap that's going to nickel and dime you to death. Pm me and we can work out a price - I will even haul it for free.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I need a new battery for my XJ, and I don't really want to spend a lot of money since it's a piece of poo poo and I drive it maybe a few times a month (it's my... seventh vehicle now). If I got one of the "refurbished" batteries that my local junkyard (LKQ) sells, how long could I expect it to last? I think they're around forty bucks.

Total crapshoot. Might be good for five weeks or five years.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So I've got a Hyundai Accent that has been having an odd issue - a couple of times when at low fuel and idling, the engine has cut off. So far only under those conditions, and it starts right back up with no check engine lights or anything. Took it in today to get it looked at and ended up getting some fuel injection cleaner run through it and the filter replaced - the fuel lines were dirty as hell and it made some gigantic white exhaust clouds when he cycled it through.

But after poking around under the hood, he thinks that the root of the problem is one of two issues - either the throttle body or the electric fuel pump. He asked me to look at the RPM gauge when I start it up tomorrow morning and let him know if it goes up to 2 and slowly drops down or if it goes up and immediately drops back to 1.

The car definitely runs smoother now and I'm not feeling the slight "drag" feeling it would get when I accelerated every once in a while, but I'm mostly worried about the issue getting worse and having the engine stall while I'm on the highway or something. But I'm also in a fairly tight spot financially right now and looking at replacement cost estimates is painful - the idea of throwing an entire month's rent into replacing a throttle body is stressing me out.

I guess what I'm asking is, does the mechanic's assessment actually sound correct, and how much of an emergency is it to get this fixed up? I'm depending on the car to get to work so I can't afford for it to be out of commission but I also don't want to spend a shitload of money on it unless it's absolutely necessary.
What year is your accent?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Gamma 2 engine in your car shares a weak point with previous 1.6 litre Hyundai engines - migrating reluctor rings on the crankshaft. These rings can move slightly along the crankshaft, causing the crankshaft position sensor to not get accurate data reliably, which causes the engine to stop running or not start sometimes.

There is not a tb for this as far as I know, but it's a common enough issue that anyone familiar with Hyundai engines should be able to diagnose and fix with relative ease.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SpeedFreek posted:

What is an reasonable expected lifespan for the body/chassis of a K2500 GMT400 platform Suburban?

I'm looking at something with a l29 454 (my first big block) for towing and the occasional drive to keep fresh gas in it. The plan is to find something out west where salt isnt a thing and it was maintained, I'm seeing a lot of 200k mile with minimal rust but my experience on my 94 k1500 was that a lot of random stuff starts poping up after 300k.

In my experience with that generation of GM truck, and being in the west where corrosion doesn't happen, the body and chassis will live forever taking all of the abuse you might be able to through at it. Like, sure the door pins might start creaking, but they probably did that from the factory. Drivetrain will also be impervious. Only things to worry about are HVAC controls (which get weird and oily) and typical GM plastic interior bits falling apart.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

I've always known it as "international red".

That's Lada.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

My HF corded impact is the best non-pneumatic I've ever used. And like most Harbor Freight stuff, I plan on it lasting me long enough.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Scud Hansen posted:

What's a transmission jack that is worth buying?

Top answer I've received so far is "you can bench press it out no problem"

So please beat that one

Whatever one clips on to your floor jack (assuming you're not working on a lift).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I want to see a Duramax dually double cab cruising around the UK lol. You could power it based on the hateful looks you'd receive.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Brettbot posted:

Well, I was beginning to wonder if he was going to reply, but the Dart seller finally got back to me. Here's an album with the pics he sent me. At least the body and interior looks pretty good, from what I can see. The only info he could add that I didn't already know was that it has a Slant 6 and that he never drove it, supposedly they only bought it as an "advertisement" for their business.

Echoing what folks said above concerning price versus runability.

I really love that body style though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Also noteworthy that not all clutch systems are designed to be bled. Some are "sealed for life" in that you can't bleed them.
(Brake fluid is hygroscopic, though it can chemically bond with water making it hydrophilic)

More argument for cable/spring actuated clutches imho.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

ryanrs posted:

Hey, sometimes parts of your car just fall off and you have to leave them behind.

I remember once I was bombing down an dirt road in my old Sentra when I heard a bang and crash from under the car. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw my entire exhaust from the first joint after the header all the way to the tailpipe spinning in the sky in the cloud of dust.

I just kept driving.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The most American of cars. drat I love it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

STR posted:

Man this pile of dust from doing brake sure does look...

*brings out an old CC to line stuff up*

*SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORT*

:stonk:

On the bright side, you lungs are probably fire proof now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

From the last time that Cadillac really meant something.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

There's only one answer for these spark plugs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

DildenAnders posted:

Yeah Eric O. is great

This is cancelled out by this:

quote:

but is almost definitely a fascist, one episode he was whining about his kids being taught "all this crazy nonsense in school about changing genders. I change oil not genders" and said something about homeschooling his kids because of it

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Real ID deadline got extended a year fyi.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

A two axle trailer on American highways requires a V8 or a good diesel. Yes, lots of 6 and even 4 cylinder cars could do it in theory, but that's not what American roads are built for. Leave the gladiator alone, and frankly I'd stay away from the dodge. Go with a Japanese half ton of you can. Or comedy option an early 70s V8 station wagon.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Not only that, but adjusting tire pressure based on payload is a great way to improve fuel efficiency and wear on the tractor/trailer.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

In the old days one could get by with a pair of panty hose for a belt.

Yeah but they'd look at you funny down at the VFW.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

They may have connected while in the parking lot next to you.

Either that or it's Nissan trying to help out your social life.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Looks like there's still enough material there to do the job. I think it will be fine.

Where on earth did you find a 95 though? What a fantastic car!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Captain Kosmos posted:

I thought so. Thanks

I live in Finland. Still pretty uncommon car, but still there's some around and mine is the most unwanted, the 95E made only for Finnish market, 2+2 seater, the 2 extra seats are only for temporary transportation. Made so to get lower taxes. Also vinyl seats in front and no panels in the back. Bare-bones as possible.
Mine never had the extra seat, it doesn't have the latches or whatever you are supposed to attach it. Was work car at Kemi airport, so I guess that's why.

Sometimes think I should start shipping 95, 96, 99 and 90s to America, you can still find those in barns and lying in fields, but people don't really buy those here.
They had to be specific models in great shape and cheap if you want to get rid of them.

So awesome. You will become a billionaire if you export these to the states.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

2020 Hyundai Ioniq number 2 cylinder misfire. I did a run from San Diego to Reno yesterday at completely full payload - 3 full size adult passengers, trunk full of heavy rear end suitcases. I cruised at 80 the whole time, AC blasting because it was 110 degrees the whole time. Engine always stayed cool, hybrid system working great, and absolutely no issues (haven't had an issue with the car since we bought it last year, btw, and it's just approaching 10k miles). All the way through see serious mountain passes on 395, again no issues. I stopped in Topaz for a quick break, left the car on, then took off again after 5 minutes or so. At this point the check engine light starts to come on when the gas engine is running, but turns off when ev mode is working. Over the next 20 miles I start to see some performance degradation and a slight shuddering under low gas engine rpms. I pull in to an O'Reilly in Gardnerville and pull a code for P0302. I can't find any loose plugs or wires, intake seems fine. Not a lot to be done at that time on Sunday evening, so I decide to try for Reno. Car back on, no problems. No problems all the way to Reno, or driving around Reno later that night without payload. I'm stumped as to what might have caused the condition, but I'd like to think of something before I do Reno to Vegas next week. Thoughts?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I'm working on an electric car and the battery pack is 1000 pounds. It drops out and mounts back in from underneath. A fork lift is out of my price range. I managed to get it down and up with a Harbor Freight 1000lbs motorcycle lift. The motorcycle lift would work perfectly except it has tiny casters and my driveway is super uneven. Is there some kind of lift from Harbor Freight or elsewhere that is a little more forgiving of banged up asphalt? I was looking at self-propelled pallet jacks, but those seem hardly any cheaper than fork lifts.

Rent a forklift if you can't buy an old one on craigslist for the price you want. The second option is good if you're handy with hydraulics, though. I once picked up an old Clark for $200 because it had a blown hose (and was old). Trailer home, new hose, hydraulic fluid, and I was on my way. I sold it years later for $5k.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

kid sinister posted:

I got a 97 Ford F250 HD. It squeaks going around sharp corners if I touch the gas. What's wrong? The differential?

My first thought is suspension bushings.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

ryanrs posted:

I do not believe this is true. You don't lose insurance coverage because of expired tags.

This depends on the jurisdiction. Overall, though, the plan should be to get insurance, then get temporary tags so you can drive to the shop.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Water pump could be kaput.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

An F150 ran a red light and slammed in to me in my 2008 Yaris, smashing me in to the wall of circus circus. ++ Good for a 2008 Yaris.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

STR posted:

DO NOT use a torque wrench as a breaker bar, unless you don't want it to ever read right again.

Yeah, this is what a pipe over the end of the box wrench is for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Frankly I'm impressed that there was a Lanos still kicking around until this weekend.