Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
1. So.. I have a 2002 Civic which requires a emissions\drive clean test. The 'check engine' light is on, does it mean I will fail? I know this seems to be the case for newer cars, but this car is pretty old.

2., Question about OBD2 code readers. Do all newer cars basically use this interface ? I figure I'd buy one since they seem to be pretty cheap for check engine code diagnostics. I assume, you just get a bluetooth one, then connect it to an android phone and download the app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Would there be any reason why my bluetooth ODB2 reader with Torque pro can read the ECU on a 2007 Scion but it appears to not read a 2002 Civic?

I assume the reader is a POS?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Is it possible for a car battery to be completely drained to the point you cannot jump start it?

I left my Scion TC off for the winter, and it appears the battery is completely dead. When I turn the ignition there is no sound.

I tried boosting it, but for the love of me, it won't start. I have tried two different "donor" cars to boost. Besides connecting the positives to the positives, and negatives to the car frame of the dead car, is there something else I should be doing?

Would it make a difference if I ran the donor car for a bit prior to trying to boost the dead one? Does the car matter? Would a pickup truck have a better chance at boosting it?

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 26, 2015

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Geoj posted:

Yes. The alternator needs a small amount of current to function, so if the battery is drained enough the alternator won't generate any power.

If your battery is that flat it's a good bet you're going to need a new one.
Dang, that sucks. I have boosted it once prior to this maybe about 6 months ago though. It just sat through the winter without being turned on much.

nwin posted:

one of the negatives is connected to the live battery, correct?

Live battery is connected, the dead battery is not connected, it's connected to the chasis of the car.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Would one of these work?

http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Decker-B...=battery+tender

http://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Tender...=battery+tender

They're the cheapest ones I found.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Godholio posted:

Found your problem.

It might be salvageable. If sitting for long periods of time is something you're expecting, buy a battery tender. It's a trickle charger and will keep a battery topped off if you're not going to be driving it. If it saves you from buying ONE battery it'll have paid for itself 2-3x over.

Ok so I ended up grabbing one and I connected the positive connector to the positive terminal and the negative connector to the negative terminal. Initially it was blinking blue then when I came back out a couple hours later, it changed to the red fault indicator light which basically means bad connection, battery not able to accept charge or reverse polarity hook-up.

I assume the issue more then likely is it cannot accept a charge, the battery is probably almost 8 years old anyways but I just wanted to verify what the reverse poliarity hook up means? Does that mean I might of connected it wrong? (ie. negative to positive and positive to negative?)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Fucknag posted:

If it was charging at first and only went red later you didn't hook it up backwards.

Ok so I reconnected the battery to the wall outlet and it stopped going to the fault LED.

The green light never went solid but after roughly 30 hours of charging I stuck it back into the car and it turns on again. Everything seems to work with the exception of the passenger automatic windows from the drivers side. It does work if I use the controls from the drivers side though, I assume I should look at the fuses?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
So my tires are starting to dry rot. How much could would the labour and cost be to replace them roughly? (Just some standard tires)

Also what kind of tires for the Pacific Northwest when there is barely any or if any snow but lots of rain (If there is, on one drives or goes to work)

All Season or just summer?

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 16, 2015

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

This is pretty hard to answer without some more info. What is the tire size? It'll be listed on the sidewall.

If you have a Discount Tire/Big O/etc. you can quote an total figure including mount/balance online once you have the tire size.

215 45R17

I'm in Canada so I don't think those really apply to me but how much would the labour be for 4 of them?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Looking for some all season tires for the rainy pacific northwest. Should any cheap tire do? Or is there something I should look for aside from the treadlife warranty.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Can anyone comment on Nexen tires? These look like they are on the KIAs from the factory. Looking to replace my all seasons. They seem like good value. I need it to last on a car for probably 5 years in the rainy Pacific Northwest.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
2007 Scion TC, budget is economical, I don't mind paying more if it's worth it but I don't need nothing crazy top of the line.. as I mentioned I plan on getting rid of the car in 5 years anyways.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
I have a car that has been sitting idle in the driveway for about 2 years. I will be bringing it to the mechanics to do a checkup. Any recommendations on what should be done aside from what I list below? I plan on driving it like 5000KM in a couple months as well.

- oil change
- rotor replacement (it hasn't been replaced since the car was purchased, and they're rusted like crazy now)
- Will probably replace tires, they are cracking

edit: The car has been turned on and idle'd every 2-3 weeks but I haven't driven it anywhere really.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 17, 2015

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Question about tires. I just replaced my tires with non-oem tires.

Do I still inflate the tire to what is listed on my door panel sticker or do I go by the recommendation directly on the tire rubber?

Also, I think the TPMS might be messed up, any idea if you would fail a safety check in WA state if the light is on? and what should my spare tire PSI be at. I didn't get a chance to check but would it be listed on the tire rubber as well? It's a 2007 Scion TC if that matters.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
I have a tire pressure gauge and I did inflate them to spec on the side panel sticker but the light does't seem to turn off. (It wast on even before I got the tires replaced.. because at that point I assumed the tires were junk)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Quick question about car batteries.

I left my lights on by mistake for roughly 45-60mins only to return to the car being dead\not able to start.

Would this be a sign that the battery should be replaced as it was an hour only or is a this a normal amount of time for a car battery to die out when the lights are left on?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Enourmo posted:

How old is the battery?

if this was your headlights, that's plenty of time to kill your battery. You could get a jump, drive around for a while to let the alternator charge it up and hope for the best. but the thing is, car batteries aren't designed to be drained deep like that, so it does wear the chemical plates down inside and reduce the battery's service life.

if you can't get it to hold a charge, or if it cranks after you charge it but more slowly than it used to, go ahead and replace it, save yourself the hassle of getting stranded later.

Yeah it's 7 years old. It will be able to get boosted but sounds like I should replace it. Just wanted to double check.

I plan on driving across america next month in it anyways

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
After how many miles should you normally change your transmission fluid or powersteering fluid. I am being told one is dirty and the other one is dark.

I don't think it's ever been changed so I wouldn't be surprised. (130,000 miles)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Transmission fluid usually has a service interval, but since you didn't say what your car is, nobody here knows. At 130k it's safe to say it should've been changed once, possibly twice already.

Power steering fluid rarely has an interval, and honestly doesn't ever need to be dealt with aside from "is there enough" for the vast majority of cars.

Sorry it was a 2007 Scion TC. I will get the transmission fluid changed at the next oil change.

Thanks!

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Looking to tint my car. Does tint brand really matter? Any recommendations on which ones to go with/stay away from?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Godholio posted:

Check your local laws to see what you can get away with first. Nothing like dumping a bunch of money on it then having to get it removed before your court date.

They require 24% front and back but there seems to be lots of brands of actual tint film which I was asking about and not too sure about.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Any tips on how to check break pad usage without taking off a wheel off the car?

I have a 2007 Scion TC. The front pads you can the usage/wear but the rear pads are really harder to see as they seem to be smaller then the front and the calliper basically covers it.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 16, 2016

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The tip is to take the wheel off, you can't see the actual wear on any pads, front or rear, with the wheel on (unless you have a donk or something). The outside pad usually wears differently to the inner and they wear different side to side as well.

I live in an apartment complex otherwise I would. The front you can see the thickness of the whole pad so you can have an idea at least.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Can someone link me to a decent website to buy a ton of washers for my oil gasket plugs?

Scion 2007 TC and Toyota 2014 Prius. I assume they are the same size?b

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
I need to get one tire valve step replaced on a tire. Any idea what I should be paying? I don't care for the sensor valve, just want the regular one.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
For the car cigarettes lighter power source, is there different standards for the plug?

I bought a pump which doesn't seem to fit in it. It's super tight, I tried it on two cars and doesn't seem to fit inside it.

The instruction manual says 12v DC power plug. I assume the car cigarette port normally supplies this?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
OK sounds defective. I mean when pulling it out I essentially had to use a pair of plyers and it ripped out my center console in the process.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

lol internet. posted:

For the car cigarettes lighter power source, is there different standards for the plug?

I bought a pump which doesn't seem to fit in it. It's super tight, I tried it on two cars and doesn't seem to fit inside it.

The instruction manual says 12v DC power plug. I assume the car cigarette port normally supplies this?

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, that's been standardized for decades. Either you're not inserting it properly or it's defective.

Okay.. so I got a replacement unit and still the same issue. Could the product just be that lovely? I tried it on a 2007 and a 2014 Toyota so I can't imagine it's the car sockets as I use other things like USB chargers.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
I have a 2007 Scion TC which burns 1qt or more every 1000 miles. This is a known issue with Toyota, they never issued a recall but some fix which I didn't realize until after the 10 year guarantee already passed.

So here I am filling up 1qt of oil every 1000 miles. If I left the car for the 3000 miles, it's essentially empty on oil.

Given that the car is over 10 years and has 140k miles on it and is worth probably less then 2k. I don't want to get it fixed because it will cost more then the car is worth.

How much of a bad idea would it be to switch from synthetic oil to regular to save on costs of refilling oil at 1000 mile increments? I mean, the synthetic oil would burn 4qt basically by 3000 miles, for sure by 5000 miles.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

DogonCrook posted:

You are burning through oil so fast it could never go bad. Sounds like a rotory lol. If you have any info on the issue can you shoot a link? im curious whats causing it.

I would definetly switch to regular oil for cost and if this is an issue where the oil is burning off for some reason, regular oil will burn away cleaner. Make sure you stay on top of oil filter changes though.

As for how often to drain everything and swap, have you ever seen dirty oil come out of it during a change? I woukd do every 5k but basically just to remove any sediment from the bottome of the pan and to inspect. Thats really just so you catch any issues like metal flakes or to make sure no sediment is in there or other fluids. Your oil will always be so fresh that its life isnt going to come into play.

I only started noticing this in the last year since I took on the oil change myself now that I have a house. I drove from east coast to west on a fresh new oil change and when I arrived to do an oil change out west, they told me there's like no oil in it.. it made me thought my mechanic back east was screwing me over somehow.. so the next time I went to finally do my oil change, I noticed like nothing dripped out of the god drat tray.

I normally do oil changes at 3k, but I figure I could do it at 5k.

This is the detail on the oil burn issue, this affects TONS of Toyota/Scion engines and has something to do with the pistons: http://www.toyotaproblems.com/trends/excessive-oil-consumption/

quote:

Some 2006 – 2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine may exhibit engine oil consumption. The piston assembly has been changed to minimize oil consumption.” And that “P030# (cylinder # misfire detected) DTC may also be set as a result of oil consumption.

So I found this out just after my 10 year mark so I can't get it fixed free and from what I understand it's an expensive process to fix as they need to basically open up the engine.

Thanks though, I'll start grabbing cheap oil. I just need the car to last another 5-10 years.

edit: youtube video of issue explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgdZSXOslDM

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 1, 2017

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Is it possible to rotate tires at home with one jack lift?

If so what's the method and which way do I rotate?

Also. When replacing breaks and pushing the piston back in with the clamp, how do you know how far back to go.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
How the hell do I pull a fuse out of the fuse box? Tweezers don't gripe enough and pliers end up crushing the plastic

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
2007 Scion TC, need to replace spark plugs. Any recommendations? The service manual says replace every 120k. I see cheap $12 NGK and premium $30 NGK/denso brands. Will cheap do 120k?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
For a coolant flush which probably has never been done on 140k miles. Should I just use distilled water, distilled water with vinegar, or one of those Peak Super Cleaner + Flush products to clean out the radiator/system?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Any recommendations for a low profile jack stand? I bought two from Harbor Freight and it seems too high (even at the lowest) setting for my two Toyotas. The other thing is the car jack stand points are pinch welds. Any jackstands exist which will account for these so they dont get bent?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Does a socket size converter exist? If so what would it be called?

I have a socket set which has up to 19mm sockets I believe. I bought an extra socket separately 23mm but I can't use my ratchet on it because the square head is too small?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
I have one tire which is losing pressure fairly fast. I'd lose maybe 15PSI over the course of 3 weeks. I had a look at the tire itself and I can't seem to identify any sort of nail puncture.

Any idea how much les swab would charge for fixing something like that? Assuming I don't have to replace the tire completely. Not sure if this would qualify under a "free flat tire."

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Look to have cool white lights on my prius.

Xenon or LED?

Xenon/LED from AliExpress from China or Sylvania from AutoZone? Is there a difference?

Based on all the videos I seen for Xenon, it looks like you have to attach some battery pack or something? But when I Was in AutoZone and I asked the guy about one of the Sylvania Xenon lights, he said he doens't think there's anything that needs to be done, just plug and play?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be great.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Car had a battery light on the dash. I replaced the battery, alternator and alternator belt. Battery light gone (It was the alternator) but I seem to hear a whirling noise when idle. I do not hear the noise outside of the car.

I assume maybe this is the alternator belt? Am I supposed to put some magic grease or something on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Charles posted:

Don't ever put grease on it. I'm guessing the belt isn't quite adjusted right? Or I guess it could be the alternator itself as Mobby suggests. Most parts store rebuilds are very bad unless that has changed recently.

mobby_6kl posted:

No grease lol. I replace an alternator recently and it's whining a bit more than the OEM one, I think that's just how it is. You could try adjusting the tension a bit to see if that changes anything.

That's good to hear. I did use a "remanufactured" alternator from AutoZone to save money.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 27, 2022