Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Did you tell him to look at the brakes, or did you tell him that there's a noise that you want to resolve?

Ugh, I literally am in the middle of that exact stupidity, by myself. Asked them to "check the brakes" during an oil change because I'm getting a grinding noise during slow-speed braking. When I picked it up after hours, they wrote down that the brakes were fine at 40% on the rear.

So now I have to go in and ask them to figure out the grinding noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Would it make any sense for my automatic car to shift worse after getting the transmission fluid flushed? It just seems to jolt a bit when going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

How long was it since the last flush/how many miles are on the car? This could go one of two directions - either the transmission is over/under filled causing rough shifts, or else the transmission went so long between flushes that gunk built up inside the fluid passages which flushing broke loose, and now has worked its way into a small passage and is blocking or restricting fluid from flowing through.

120k miles, may never have been flushed? So probably the second one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

How long was it since the last flush/how many miles are on the car? This could go one of two directions - either the transmission is over/under filled causing rough shifts, or else the transmission went so long between flushes that gunk built up inside the fluid passages which flushing broke loose, and now has worked its way into a small passage and is blocking or restricting fluid from flowing through.

I think it might be a third option: it's shifting poorly when the engine isn't warmed up, and it's been very, very cold around here lately.

I'm not sure if it's actually worse after getting it flushed or not, but it was definitely shifting pretty cleanly today after fully warming up while I was clearing off snow. I guess the new trans fluid could be handling the cold worse, but in theory it shouldn't, right?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We rented a Sentra at Hertz at JFK airport and it had these sticker remnants on all the door / trunk openings. Any ideas? Car had 20k miles.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 6, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It kind of looks like it says:

NO AIR
DON'T OPEN

Which is even more unnerving.

Oh wait, I think the first line is "NO ABRIR" which is Spanish for don't open. Less exciting.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

taqueso posted:

Kosmoski talks about it in this video, first half is body prep.

https://youtu.be/10xfzZ7-0MA

After watching some of that video, my stupid question is how common is all that work for a paint job? I got to the part where he sprays the whole car with filler and then sprays it with a little paint and then sands it and then adds more putty. These steps seems like they need entirely different equipment from the filler and sanding steps he already did.

I can’t really imagine a hobbyist doing all that, and I can’t imagine the labor expense is worth it for anything that’s not a high end vintage car.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Our 2010 Mustang has chipping / bubbling paint at the front edge of the hood. The hood itself seems fine, but it’s starting to look ugly. How would that normally be fixed?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks! That seems reasonable. It’s black which is hopefully the cheapest color?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any good reason a 2010 Mustang would show a check engine light and a tire pressure sensor failure in close proximity? Or just likely bad luck?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

TIL Ford only keeps key codes on file for 10 years.

Not a question, just a scream into the void.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/keys-and-locks/replace-and-reprogram-keys/how-do-i-get-a-replacement-key/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So apparently you aren’t supposed to use metal tire valve cap covers on metal valve stems or they will bond together forever. Oops. Anyone deal with this problem before?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don’t see any way to do it accurately without having tint samples to compare to.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you get diagnosed a very costly repair, like a new engine, and you don’t want to put that money into the car, how does that work out? Are there buyers for a car like that?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

STR posted:

If it's a car with a following (older Hondas, Miatas, Mustangs, a lot of older Nissans/Toyotas, etc) and it's otherwise in good shape, you can sell it as a rolling shell for anywhere from a few hundred bucks to a couple of thousand. Or sell it as a parts car. Or part it out yourself and scrap the rest when you're done. I'm guessing you're not interested in the last one; that's a lot of work, and your neighbors will probably hate you unless they can't see it.

I guess the premise of my questions wasn't very well thought out, because it seems like if the car is relatively new, even a major fix is worth doing. Then you can immediately sell it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Uthor posted:

Now that I'm typing this, I should look at what my car insurance covers...

For State Farm, our Roadside Assistance is $2.22 for six months. $3.24 for the older car. Seems a bit silly to even charge for it.

We used it for a tow on a Sunday a few months ago and it was fine. The guy was good but they had him drive from 45 miles away so it was a long wait. The car was stuck in park so it wasn’t an easy tow but he did the job.

We also used it once for a unlock job and they were clearly just paying a kid to do it. They gave him some tools and an app that showed techniques for each car. We got in but it was 50/50 that he was going to shatter a window first.

So YMMV.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why not have them do the starter and then take it to another mechanic if you need the other issues fixed? I would start laughing if I was quoted $2k to do brakes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any particular reason TPMS data isn’t in OBD? It doesn’t even trigger a code when a sensor dies which would be handy to have more details on.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We have two Fords so maybe that’s worth an investment.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

smackfu posted:

So apparently you aren’t supposed to use metal tire valve cap covers on metal valve stems or they will bond together forever. Oops. Anyone deal with this problem before?

Belated follow-up: I got them off one car using two pairs of pliers. The other car they wouldn't budge and I was worried about breaking off the stem, so I put off dealing with it until the low tire pressure light came on last week. I took on the project today and was able to use a Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut grooves into the sides of the nut until there was not enough metal left to resist the pliers. Only collateral damage was to the threads on one of the valve stems where I went too deep, but it still works fine. So that counts as a success. (Quote from tire place to replace the TPMS sensor stems was $250.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do the cars that let you run external stuff on their power cut off at some point to preserve enough range to recharge it?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

To program new key fobs on my Mustang, you have to cycle the key from off to start eight times in ten seconds. Who comes up with these ridiculous things? It took me like ten tries.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

STR posted:

Just be glad you can do it yourself. And Fords are pretty easy to enter programming on - Subaru and Toyota have a similar dance, but also involve pedals and buttons.

True. Also the replacement remotes were unbelievable cheap on Amazon, $10 for two. There was exactly one design sold by two dozen sellers but kind of amazing it’s that cheap for something that I would hope has decent security. Although it is a 2010 Mustang, so who knows.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’ve bought multiples of this one at $25.

Shows codes, clears codes, shows emissions indicators, standalone.

MOTOPOWER MP69033 Car OBD2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z3HB7DR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do the super cheap Bluetooth ones give you better than OBD (like Forscan) if you have the right software or do you need a special reader?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It sounds like the intent of permanent codes is to prevent clearing codes and then passing emissions. But don’t you need completed monitors to pass emissions, and clearing codes also clears the monitors? I literally just “failed” emissions a few weeks ago for this reason and had to get it retested after driving it more.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The main risk is that another fastener or two snaps off and it drags more making a godawful noise, or it rips off.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We have a very narrow garage, even though our condo was built in the early 80s and there was no particular reason they couldn’t have made it three feet wider. As a result we park outside (in souther New England) and use the garage for storage.

How much better would our cars fare if we parked one of them in the garage instead? It would not be very convenient or comfortable.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m sure someone here can identify this car at a local abandoned house.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just want to complain about bad design…

The firewall on our 2010 Mustang has a cavity between two steel plates, one on the cabin side and one on the engine side. This cavity also houses the cabin air filter, and at the bottom has a drain hole. If you park outside, crap like pine needles gets washed into that cavity and clogs up the drain hole. Now it just fills with water during a hard rain, and if it gets enough water, it will run through the cabin air filter into the passenger side floor and you get a pool of water.

I don’t even understand why the cavity needs a drain and can’t just be open to the ground.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Inner Light posted:

A lot of vehicles have that issue area at the windshield cowl, my Audi sedan included. It will get nasty and filled with old leaves. One can either use a shop vac at home if they have the hand tools to take the cowl cover off, or ask a mechanic to do that when you get an oil change or something. But unfortunately it is added maintenance for that area to keep it clear and keep the drain working.

Those who park in a garage at night are less susceptible to this area even needing maintenance or vacuuming.
Yeah I really need to pay more attention to it, I thought it was just a nuisance that crap collected there.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I saw a car today with immense quantities of white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. What blew up here?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They pulled into that driveway from the main road so sounds like head gasket is the winner. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

opengl posted:

Anything that's not in your manual under scheduled maintenance (aka almost everything shops and dealers will try to sell you)

They will also just lie about the intervals compared to what the manual says.