Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Full Collapse posted:

This car was reviewed to be very noisy when new,

In my experience, reviewers are whiny prigs when it comes to cabin noise. I had a 2014 civic and it was perfectly acceptable for road noise.

As was mentioned, tires are usually the top contributor. If they’re poo poo, aggressive, unevenly worn, or have different treads that cause harmonics, they’ll make any car sound and ride like poo poo. Budget for a good set some short time after purchase. Money well spent imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

car detailing spray

Isn’t that usually a shiny top coat of some type?

I’d hit it with a dedicated plastic/vinyl cleaner, or visit a real detail shop. Hard to say from pictures if it’s something on the plastic, burned off, or in it for life.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

opengl posted:

Anything that's not in your manual under scheduled maintenance (aka almost everything shops and dealers will try to sell you)

I have to disagree with this based on industry experience. As manufacturers increasingly try to sell on lowest cost of maintenance, lots of necessary maintenance items have been shaved from the scheduled items. As long as the car has those listed items done, and makes it through the warranty period, it’s not their problem anymore.

“Lifetime” differential fluids is the first example that comes to mind. I’ve had cars going back to the 90s with that claim, and 100% don’t believe in it. If you real lifetime to mean the 60k mile warranty period, then sure.

While working at Nissan, we recommended diffs at 60k km for hard use or towing, and 80k km for lighter use. Never has problems with our customers’ cars. Every AWD that came to us on a tow truck with blown diffs and transfer cases was serviced elsewhere and had like 2 tablespoons of thin, black diff oil in them.

The other item is induction system clean, or valve decarb, or whatever you might see it sold as. The current GDI designs have no fuel running over the valves and they develop more carbon accumulation. In the long term, they fail to seat, cause blow by and misfiring, and oil consumption. When ignored, that snowballs into worse consumption, ring accumulation and wear, and engine damage. Only VW has any decarb interval that I’ve seen. Now Kia has added an after-the-fact decarb treatment once oil consumption has already started.

I’d consider these both worthwhile preventive maintenance currently not listed in most brands’ owners manuals.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Greetings goons. In the market to downsize my '14 Explorer as my kids are getting older and starting to get licenses of their own. The family truckster is no longer needed or wanted with three rows. Test drove a '23 Hyundai Sante Fe Hybrid SEL Premium this weekend and quite liked it. Still going to be out checking out other vehicles and such but wanted to see if there was any general feedback on Hyundai's reliability/quality in 2023. I've been out of the automotive purchasing loop for quite some time and Hyundai was not a perceived 'quality' brand when I last looked at them a long time ago.

Have they 'mostly' worked out any issues with reliability, parts availability, etc. or is it still a brand that I should stay away from in general. If I need to rule them out from the start, I'd rather not waste my time keeping them on the list if so.

ANY feedback is appreciated, thank y'all very much.

Hyundai’s reliability has increased exponentially in my experience, and have a longer warranty than the competing Japanese imports and domestics.

The biggest customer dissatisfaction I encounter is continuing consumer perception of Hyundai as a value brand, while demanding and enjoying its substantial premium features, until it’s time to pay for the upkeep of premium features. A larger import SUV still has more expensive maintenance parts than a base Civic or Cruze.

My personal observation is the fancier features on economical models are cheaper components than their competitors. For example, the backup camera on a BMW X5 is a better product than the one on a Hyundai, but the Hyundai one isn’t significantly cheaper to replace out of warranty even though it may be more likely to fail. Strictly anecdotal evidence and personal experience, though.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The dealer franchise model means that quality of dealers is variable. You may have a good local Hyundai dealer, but the average Hyundai dealer is bad by dealer standards, and the worst 20% are like BHPH levels of poo poo. … all else equal their dealer network sucks so I’d think pretty carefully about whether your local dealer is any good.

I’d like to hear more about this impression. Feel free to DM if you don’t want to clutter the thread.

I manage 3 Hyundai dealer service departments, along with several other brands in our group. I can’t think of anything that sets the Hyundai dealer model apart.

Absolutely local operations are highly variable, and any one dealer can be awful, but you’re making a bit of a generalization based on the banner flown, not the individual dealer, so I’m curious.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

TraderStav posted:

These are not great stories. As neither of those engines are in the one I'm looking at, this is more of a cautionary tale of how Hyundai and its dealers handle big issues like this I am gathering?

There’s no real issues with the hybrid 1.6 that I’ve seen. PM me any questions if you like.

That goon’s stories are unique to me. I wouldn’t have had a problem covering any Theta II even with aftermarket filters, or getting the coil spring reimbursed. The steering coupler sounds legit. When a warranty gets extended to 10 years, there’s no extra grace after that in almost any case. The coupler itself it like $1, and about 1.5-2 hours labour. I think warranty pays 1.4. So if you have to fix a $200 item on your 10-year old economy car, I think that’s very reasonable.

Common problems generate a lot of noise, as do large scale recall actions. No one counts the examples of vehicles without the problem, and the owners of relatively trouble-free cars don’t post all over the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Cactus Ghost posted:

a borrowed car

This is great until you’re the first person who’s applied it in 8 years and it seizes on