Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Modern cars require the presence of a functioning battery to soak up spikes in electrical demand, even with a fully functioning alternator.

Direct injection gasoline vehicles also deal with similar pressures and have similar hazards when working with the high-pressure side of the fuel system.

I'm pretty sure they're well below that, more on the 100 bar range. Maybe a bit more. But certainly not anywhere close to diesels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
That sounds like the kind of practical advice you really wish you didn't have the knowledge to give.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Iirc those detection systems use lidar

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

randomidiot posted:

That too. O2 is something you should always go at least name brand on, if not full OEM. totalnewbie has bashed that into our skulls repeatedly, and if anybody knows O2 sensors, it's them (I mean they kinda work for a major OEM in a way that's directly involved with this stuff).

Hey it's me. To be clear, I don't just work for a supplier (here in Detroit, we typically use "OEM", when referring to companies, to refer to auto manufacturers), O2 sensors and spark plugs are literally my job. I'm no longer customer (i.e. engineers at an OEM) facing but there's very little I could do to become more involved in it. I don't want someone to get the impression that I work in IT and just happen to be at a supplier.

Anyway! When it comes to O2 sensors, just buy OEM. If your OEM sensor is a Bosch sensor and you buy the NTK compatible sensor, there's a good chance you're just going to pull out a Bosch sensor. There ARE sensors produced by non-OEM-suppliers to be compatible with the OEM sensor and for many older vehicles, this is fine (though it obviously does add a layer of possibility for error). This is especially true for switching sensors. For widerange sensors (A/F, LAF, whatever you call them), it's almost impossible to replace with a non-OEM sensor because it's actually actively controlled by the ECU so it needs a very specific sensor (vs. a switching sensor which just puts out a signal and for the most part if the output signal is generally correct then the sensor should generally work fine. Generally.).

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think I have a bad O2 sensor, but wanted some advice to confirm.

It is a 2004 Hyundai Sonata.

- I was getting an error code saying that the engine was running lean in bank 1.

- I replaced one of the O2 sensor cables in front, but can't get to the other one without a rotatable tool or taking a bunch of parts out.

- Now, the original error message went away, but I have 3 new ones:

- P0134 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected
- P0135 Sensor Heater Bank Circuit Bank 1 Sensor
- P0131 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor

I assume this is confirmation that it was something with the O2 sensor and only being able to replace one of the banks was the culprit. Is it likely that I need to just replace the other one to get rid of the error codes? The car runs fine, but I have to update my registration soon and will fail with the OBD error/check engine light on. How much would it run me at a garage to just have them install the second one?

Thanks.

You said you replaced the front sensor, which is what the codes are for. Given that you bought some random sensor, it's entirely possible that the sensor is not correct for the car. Replace it with the correct OEM sensor and then see if the codes go away. If they don't then listen to these guys because they actually know what they're doing with cars. I'm not a mechanic.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 9, 2023

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I know, and it's just when we refer to companies that oem generally means the auto maker. You'll notice I used oem to indicate a supplier but in the context of the parts, not the company.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Cactus Ghost posted:

yeah there's no way in hell i'd put seafoam through anything with a catylitic converter or an o2 sensor unless i disconnected the cat and was ready to replace the sensor. idk if that's actually true, its just the vibe i get. billowing smoke doesn't seem good for things that need to stay hot, clean, and unclogged

What's in seafoam anyway? O2 sensors these days are pretty resistant to poisoning. Though you know, ounce of prevention pound of cure and all that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sapozhnik posted:

Well, I shouldn't have said "hidden", I mean just some OEM cellular radio phoning home about god-knows-what which isn't any of the manufacturers business. The same crap that newer cars use to enable app integrations and such.

Wait til you hear about real-time monitoring and reporting of vehicle performance (OBM)

(still unimplemented but already in Euro 7 regulations)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

poemdexter posted:

(2014 Dodge Dart).

Someone call cps

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Briefly, I thought Reliant came back and started making small trucks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

IOwnCalculus posted:

If Google is right, there's an auxiliary heater in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIl3EzGv72s

My 2.8 diesel Canyon has one for the same reason - fucker would take forever to warm up on its own.

Yes, it's this. Diesel engines actually (as you might already have known, hence the question) suck at generating heat. So diesel vehicles use secondary heaters for cabin heat. It's quite a source of wasted energy. There may or may not be efforts to replace the current ones with more efficient heaters.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
The most likely tech to be implemented (if any) is probably going to be electronically heated catalysts tbh. There's been a lot of other tech ideas thrown around but ehc is just so much easier to implement than any of the others.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

honda whisperer posted:

I know my BRZ sounds weird for the first 30 seconds or so it runs. Twice as loud and has a nice burble. By the time I lock the garage and hop back in it's in sewing machine mode again. I'm not sure what it's doing though.

It's heating up the O2 sensor and undergoing dew point waiting so it can go into closed loop.
(and probably other stuff)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Why is it the o2 sensor?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

wesleywillis posted:

I brought it in today and they did a road test and then I guess they must have hooked up their scanner to it. I think she (the service advisor) mentioned something about too much resistance in the O2 sensor. Or O2 sensor circuit.

O2 sensor circuit high voltage? P0138? If it didn't set a code, don't replace it. If it did then okay, but it's unlikely to be directly related to everything else. But if it did set a code, that's one of the most common ones.

FWIW.. this is typically caused by an open circuit somewhere. High voltage actually means no voltage because of the pull-up voltage. Typical cause is water intrusion, either through the filter or on the leadwire itself due to abrasion or some other damage. Disclaimer: this is from my perspective an an engineer; trust actual good mechanics over me for actual practical advice.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 29, 2024

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it's not a sensor issue that's feeding all of those systems missing/bad data, then it could be a common power or ground issue on a circuit that feeds all of those.

Yeah, I immediately thought it might be a wiring harness issue or something but that was just my initial reaction and I don't know poo poo so I kept my mouth shut about it lol :D

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Someone already mentioned it but P0300 is random misfire and P0301 is cylinder 1 misfire, P0302 is cylinder 2, etc.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Have you been able to find what driving conditions the monitor is looking for?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

cursedshitbox posted:

It shouldn't take 1000 miles to set monitors. Find the exact procedure for your car and follow it to the letter. "Varied" driving won't set the catalyst efficiency monitor easy.

AIR (air injection, catalyst warm up) and HRT(oxygen sensor heaters) are typically set on cold start. There's conditionals depending on the make. Some do not like having the brake touched, others want 45-90 seconds of idle time.

I don't know the specifics of this monitor, obviously, but I am intimately familiar with other monitors. There are certain intrusive monitors, for example, that require very specific conditions that are very rarely fulfilled, so it may be that 1k+ miles is simply due to people (from that area?) not driving in that way. In addition, as cars get more complex, more and more things need to be OBDed and various OBDs start fighting each other (during development/calibration) for opportunities to run. Just saying, 1k miles is probably an exaggeration but maybe not quite by as much as you might think.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Leperflesh posted:

2003 mazda protege5, 168k miles

In Feb 2023, the car failed smog check, it had an exhaust leak, took apart the exhaust manifold and found this mess,

I fixed that poo poo; cleaned surfaces, new gaskets, reassembled. It passed smog after this so I was reasonably confident that the parts I hosed with are fixed now. However car has been sitting a lot and when we drive it it stumbles at idle a bit and drives rough and has even stalled a couple of times. Finally it threw a CEL so we immediately parked it.

I finally bothered to get an ODBII bluetooth reader and I am getting P0171 on Bank 1, a lean condition. The voltage graph for oxygen sensor 1 jumps up and down a lot while 2 is more smooth, and the car is trying to adjust fuel like as much as 17% to try and compensate.

This is all at idle:

The MAF reading moves a lot slower

and oxygen sensor 2 is pretty slow and flat

This is at ~1500rpms

Here's a diagram of the exhaust system for this vehicle from the service manual

The internet gives very basic advice for P0171, like, clean the MAF, check the oxygen sensor on the exhaust, look for vacuum leaks, etc. I am hoping you folks can help me narrow that down. I think I replaced #1, HO2S (front) last year when I had the exhaust system open, but I'm not totally sure if it's that sensor or #11 (rear) that is showing the spikes and I'm also not 100% sure if I replaced either one. It seems likely that what's going on here is my incompetence, right? I've somehow failed to get this poo poo together tight, it's sucking in air somewhere and so the car's trying to compensate for a lean condition? Or maybe I just need to clean these sensors?

Engineer here, not mechanic.

All those O2 diagrams look normal. S1 should oscillate and S2 should be steady around 450 mV.

Clear codes and see if it keeps setting? You could also check the exhaust for leaks letting fresh air into the exhaust system.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

So I'm ideally looking to get either an EV or a plug-in hybrid, and I've seen what look like drat good deals on used Chevy Bolts, which everyone seems to really like.My question is, when buying used, what's the max mileage I should accept given that the battery is likely to be the first thing to wear out and the most expensive thing to replace?

Also do look into tax incentives to buy a new vehicle if you haven't. It may be significantly cheaper than you think to buy a new car (or not; I just know there's a bunch of tax credits potentially available).

And, according to a survey last year, 28% would accept under 200 miles, 15% 200-250, 20% up to 300, and 38% over 300 miles. (minimum range)

I also have, in my mind, something like 20% range reduction as when the battery is "done". I don't feel like looking through my notes but that sounds about right anyway. And it's not an exact scientific thing anyway.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/credits-for-new-clean-vehicles-purchased-in-2023-or-after

Start here.

Also:

quote:

To claim the credit for vehicles placed in service before January 1, 2024, file Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (Including Qualified Two-Wheeled Plug-in Electric Vehicles) with your tax return.

Starting January 1, 2024, credit eligibility and amount will be determined at the time of sale using the IRS Energy Credits Online website. The dealer will complete and submit the time-of-sale report online, and it will be accepted or rejected in real time. The dealer is required to provide you with a copy of the time-of-sale report, and you will need it to claim the credit.

If the vehicle qualifies for a credit, you have two options:

You can claim the credit on your tax return for the year in which it was placed in service using Form 8936.
You can transfer the credit to the dealer so that they can apply the credit amount to your final purchase cost. This essentially allows you to receive the benefit of the credit at the time of sale. The dealer will be reimbursed by IRS. See Clean Vehicle Credit Transfer: Information you need to provide to the registered dealer.

You must still fill out Form 8936 reporting your eligibility for the credit and your decision to transfer the credit to the dealer.

Note that if the vehicle qualifies but you do not qualify for the credit for any reason (e.g., your modified adjusted gross income exceeds certain thresholds), you must reimburse IRS for any difference in the credit for which you are eligible and the benefit you received from the dealer. Dealers are not required to verify the eligibility of the buyer at the time of sale. It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet all buyer requirements. The dealer is, however, required to provide the modified adjusted gross income requirements for your information.
For more information, see IRS updates frequently asked questions related to new, previously-owned and qualified commercial clean vehicle credits.

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax2023.shtml

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Overtightening is not always safe.

I had an issue with thread loosening after durability and the fix was to decrease the target tightening torque. Of course, this is in an application with some thermal cycling but point is, sometimes things can be counterintuitive and potentially get you into trouble.

Also, it's always safe until the day it isn't. If the result of "it isn't" is "drat it I got a paper cut" then fine, keep doing that. If the result of "it isn't" is "my wheel fell off at 80 mph down a highway" then that's probably not what you want to gamble on. It's not about "under what conditions could I potentially undertoque my lug nuts and be safe" it's more like "does doing this raise my chances of the wheel falling off from basically zero (it's never zero, is it.. ) to not-basically-zero"? And the answer is yes. And do you want to find out just how many miles you might have to drive with those to run into a problem? No. You absolutely do not.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I would say that the vast majority of people who have ever changed a wheel never owned or used a torque wrench, and wheels don’t fly off as often as the thread seems to imply.

Did you read a single word I posted? Like, yeah, sure, you're ~probably~ going to be fine. But the other side of that probably is extremely bad so you should ~probably~ try to avoid it as much as possible, especially when all it takes is to buy a special version of a tool you were going to use anyway.

I get it if you literally cannot get access to a torque wrench in any way sure, yeah, fine. But that's not the sort of behavior that should be encouraged.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Connectors:

Make sure you check the keyway fits (if it exists)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

kastein posted:

This

Often if you see a connector in multiple colors that's seemingly identical, it has keying to only plug into the matching color so assembly line techs can't plug things in wrong even if they wanted to.

O2 sensors for GM had 4 choices for colors and 8 keyways. Sleeves also came in grey or black.

Each color/keyway/sleeve color combination was assigned to differentiate different sensor suppliers, sensor type, keyway, etc.

GM wanted to change one thing and so I spent an hour sitting down with a DRE to go over which vehicle was in which vehicle plant and had what part numbers and what color connectors and keyways and oh my god what a headache. Yep, that's what it's like being an engineer. Sorting colors and shapes.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno what kind of car this is, but I just watched a youtube about a car catching fire and the reason was that the insulation had degraded in the wiring harness, because for those particular years (84-86) of that particular car the manufacturer experimented with a different type of wire insulation that was biodegradable. It was just falling apart by then. So based on that I would be a bit worried if the rest of the wiring looked like this.

I... want things to be environmentally friendly but what the gently caress.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Lowest hanging fruit: check the physical connection to the battery.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Jonny 290 posted:

my 2020 miata has 5.75" of clearance and i'll huck it down fire roads. You'll be 100% fine.

Cue an exactly 0.65 inch tall dent in the civic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Cowslips Warren posted:

How accurate are the Check Engine Light tools at O'Reilly's/Autozone stores? I know it's not a full test and gives a base idea (and I'll have to pay for a full diagnostic at my mechanic) but the light is not flashing on my dash, and the dude at OReilly's said it was something with a gas tank valve that was leaking, which is annoying as I literally got a new gas tank a few months ago since mine had cracked and I was leaking gas.

I just want to make sure I'm fine driving to work for a day or two.

I had a battery check done at an Autozone, they told me the battery was fine, but when my work van kept needing a jump, the mechanic showed me how the battery was inches from death, and that those tests at the parts places are poo poo.

From my perspective as an engineer and not a mechanic, the fact that you have a gas-tank-related OBD shortly after having work done on your gas tank is strong evidence that the OBD flag is correct.
When we look at individual warranty claim cases, which we do in some cases but not very often, one of the first things we always look at is service history. Just a fun tidbit, the reasons for looking at individual warranty claims have been anywhere from "Well this was an extremely odd failure," "We've had several occurrences of this issue lately," to "The VP's neighbor's car had to get taken to the shop."

In addition to the possibility that something wasn't done correctly and it loosened over time, it could also be that the OBD checks take time to complete and it was only recently able to record enough abnormalities to set the flag.

Work performed -> light -> who hosed up the work that was performed

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 1, 2024