Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Safety Dance posted:

Depending on how much of a 400lb gorilla you plan to be with ratchet straps, those might be a little on the weak side. If it were me, I might use those or slightly larger, and I'd make a backing plate to go on the bottom side to better distribute the load.

Drill through the bed, hit the exposed metal with some Rustolium, bolt it all together, and then hit that with some more rustolium for good measure.
Thanks, I was thinking about a backing plate as well for extra security. I'll see if I can find some heavier duty ones locally and then get to drilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Speaking of replacement wheels, does anyone know of a good size for on road truck use that I could use on the 6 hole bolt pattern for a 87 mazda b2000? Looks like OEM size is 14", and there's not really much choice in truck tires at that size.

Alternatively if someone knows what the gently caress that bolt pattern is called that would be helpful since I'll likely go for some used ones regardless due to cash flow issues.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
2006 Civic SI question -- where the hell are the rear jack stand points? I know where all you can raise the drat thing but not where you can support it and I really need to drain and refill the manual transmission.

Godholio posted:

According to this page it's 6x139.7 aka 6x5.5.
THANK YOU. I have had no idea where to search for this stuff.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Okay after doing some more poking it looks like my best bet is the pinch welds. I've got HF 3 ton jack stands which don't have a relief, would four of these pads they also sell help?
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-rubber-pads-for-jack-stand-95952.html

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Because I always forget to check this thread:

I posted "I think the people at JiffyLube bent my oil pan. Now I can see one side of the plug isn't quite crushing the washer and sealing. Is there anything I can do to fix it without more than basic hand tools?"

It's a '99 Subaru Impreza. I'm not sure if the horizontally opposed engine makes anything weird with that. How much does that generally cost?

I wouldn't be opposed to one of the pan saver plugs, but I really wanted to put a fumoto on there (as soon as I get a non-faulty one). Could I get a thicker gasket at Home Depot, or somewhere like that?
Make sure to read up a detailed explanation of how to redo the oil pan if you have to do so. On my 87 B2000 I had to remove the steering linkage and a crossmember to get enough clearance for the oil pan to drop. That added a lot of work, doubly so when I hosed up some already dying ball joints that attach to the steering linkage.

I've heard there are some ford trucks where you have actually pull the engine or drop the transmission to do an oil pan swap, which is just :psypop:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
The trunk seal on my 2006 Civic Si is leaking and it's driving me loving crazy. Are there any AI posts on tracking that poo poo down and resolving it?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

some texas redneck posted:

Check the gaskets around your tail lights first. Pretty common issue on Hondas.
Will do. There are a couple of tears in the gasket well away from the problem area, what should I use to seal that up? They don't seem wet but I should go ahead and deal with them too.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Phone posted:

Question: Should I plastidip them before getting the tires mounted or do it afterwards? The Discount Tire I go to is extremely careful and don't use gobs of goo to get the tires on.
Bonus question: Is Sonax safe on plastidip?
I think instead of plastidip you should use this stuff.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

some texas redneck posted:

:wtc: They really shoehorned that in there. How the hell do you even change the spark plugs on that? :stare:
Remove the plastic poo poo in front of the windshield wipers, remove the plastic cover over the spark plugs (black thing right behind the oil fill IIRC), then remove spark plugs.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Very generic question - I need some basic road tires for my irregularly at best driven light pickup. My budget is low enough I'm looking at getting a set done at Wal-Mart. Assuming my local installers there aren't retarded would those tires be acceptable for a couple years until I can get something better? (vehicle gets like 5k/year tops, mostly hauling poo poo to the recycle drop off)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Godholio posted:

Just stay away from Chinese brands and you're fine.
This is what I was thinking of:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Douglas-Xtra-Trac-II-Tire-205-75R14-95S/16913822

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Godholio posted:

Douglas is made by Goodyear, but apparently using obsolete tech/designs/equipment. I wouldn't use it on a daily driver but it's probably fine for what you described.
Kumho has a really good reputation, right? Turns out Walmart stocks these:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumho-SOLUS-TA11-Tire-205-75R14-95T/45693058

While they hit the wallet harder if they'd last longer / be a better ride it'd be worth it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've been happy with every set of Kumho tires I've owned, including the set of Discount-rebranded Kumhos I have on my WJ right now. They probably won't be best-in-class but they'll be safe, reliable, and usually damned affordable too.

PaintVagrant posted:

I've got kumho all seasons on my civic and I can't complain at all. I was broke as poo poo when I needed new tires and they were like 400 mounted with a warranty at discount tire.
I really really appreciate you guys' (and the people I didn't quote too!) continued advice, unfortunately my dog's health declined suddenly and the vet bill today just more than blew that budget. So it looks like I'll be tracking down a used tire to hold me over for a while. :shobon:
(not from the place that put on the wrong size earlier obviously, :lol:)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

shabbat goy posted:

What's the loudest horn I can get to run off 12V without requiring an air compressor? Mine is wimpy and I luv 2 honk.
Run five o-ooga horns at once with just slight delay in between when each fires off. OR get 5 different types of horns and just blast them all at once.

A friend used to have a SUV he installed a 18 wheeler horn in (with its own special button) so he could gently caress with people. It was pretty great.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
2001 Ford Escape:
My sis's escape has sprung a decent radiator leak 100+ miles from home. Are there any ways to temp patch it so we can get home?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Got a patch kit, seems to be holding for now.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Is there any decent online market for stuff like grungy old but working/mostly working crap like carbs and emissions poo poo? There's some stuff on my 87 Mazda B2000 that's getting replaced with aftermarket parts this weekend and if I could make a few bucks selling the old poo poo to folks who rebuild that would be a great way to ease the hurt on my wallet.

In that line since the carb is one of the things that is going how do I purge the fuel/vapors from the float bowl so it's safe to ship?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Thanks, I know it's a really dumb question but wanted to check before wasting a bunch of time.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
87 Mazda B2000

Well I am dumb and plugged the valve cover pressure vent (not the PCV, the plain vent that normally runs to the air cleaner assembly) because I was concerned about how some oil was going up into the air cleaner. After a quick loop around the area since I was really more focused on adjusting the choke today I got back and found quite a lot of oil had sprayed to the back of the engine compartment and was dripping its way down to the driveway.

So, blown valve cover gasket? Anything else I need to worry about?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Yep, got some more oil in it and sure enough I can see some shooting out the back of the valve cover while it is cranked. Didn't see any coming out of the head gasket in the same area, but I'll have to keep an eye on it. :ughh:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Got a new valve cover gasket in my 87 B2000 and it's still leaking oil like crazy on the firewall end. I did run it for a bit and retighten the bolts in the pattern, twice, with no real change. I did not use RTV, seems like some folks say to use it and some say to not use it -- should I or what?

I'm going to get a small camera down in the gap between the engine and the firewall and make 100% sure the oil isn't coming from somewhere else -- any places I should make sure to check?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Yeah, I'll do that this weekend.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Back on the 87 B2000 -- got a small camera down in the area of the leak and found out what happened is a big rubber plug behind the camshaft liberated itself. You can see it at the far left of the bottom of this picture from mazdabscene.
http://static.mazdabscene.com/photos/2015/220/92828/l.jpg

So here's the question: as you can see in that photo above the plug is held in place by the rocker arm shaft assembly. My Hayne's manual has a section on this but it's for going so far as to remove the entire camshaft too and says you have to remove a whole lot of other poo poo to do it. Do I have to do all that to just pop the rocker arm shaft assembly off to get the seal in place? Here's another picture that shows some of the poo poo I don't want to remove if I can.
http://static.mazdabscene.com/photos/2015/220/92438/l.jpg

link the the mazdabscene thread

Alternatively do I even really have to remove the rocker arm shafts or can I just lightly loosen those two bolts and squeeze the plug in? One person mentioned this in another thread on mazdabscene but I didn't see anyone say it was a good idea or dumb as gently caress idea.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
87 Mazda B2000 with a Weber carb and brand new battery -- last night it started stalling out when I had the headlights on and pushed in the clutch to come to a stop, usually when the brakes were depressed. Sometimes it wouldn't stall but I could hear it struggling to maintain idle, like it would go up and down until I gave it some more gas. I've never had this issue before and definitely not without the headlights on. Unfortunately work has me coming in really early and staying late so I'm out of daylight and can't drive it without the headlights until this weekend.

Looking over some stuff last night some things I've found to check are:
1. Making sure it has proper pressure from the fuel pump, not too high (>3.5psi apparently) or low (I've got a new one I might toss in since I think I've got the original on it and the level in the filter seems low)
2. Cleaning the idle circuit (probably will be done regardless since the truck is a filthy filthy truck)
3. Checking the brake booster for leaks

Anyone else have any ideas? Any advice for the fuel pump pressure thing on gauges or regulators?

The alternator checks out on voltage (checked it the other day during daylight and it was reading 14.4V at idle and last night with the headlights on it was 13.9v) but it's also probably original so is there any chance it could not be supplying enough current or something draining it and causing a problem? I don't know what happens in that situation.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

PainterofCrap posted:

Sometimes, there's a check valve on the brake booster vacuum hose, at either end. If it goes bad, your symptoms arise.
Thanks! Forgot about that possibility. Do you think if the vehicle was stationary and I pumped the brakes hard it might be enough to help confirm that possibility?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Did some poking and a test drive on the B2000 and everything went well until the last two turns when it hesitated and finally died after pulling into the driveway. The Weber's "loose lever" (part 86 on this diagram) does seem to stick a little and keep the throttle linkage from coming 100% to rest, and while poking at it I was able to get the truck to stall somehow. I sprayed it down with carb cleaner last weekend as it was sticking badly then and really keeping the throttle from going down in traffic.

The brake booster line doesn't look like it has a check valve at all, so I'm going to get one and some new line. Is the line I need just some regular hose? I don't see any listings for something specific on autozone or similar.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
2006 Honda SI coupe

Car has been draining its battery over long weekends without driving. I got out my multimeter and started doing a parasitic draw check. Got a 0.37 amp draw with the vehicle shut off.

Since my stereo is aftermarket and the previous owner did some dumbfuck things to the wiring it was my first pull, but that didn't do poo poo. But pulling the "Back Up" fuse in the under hood fuse box dropped the drawn down to zero. Keeping in mind the stereo is still unhooked what sort of places should I be looking for? I did notice there is some intermittent drops in the audio on the way home today, like maybe one or more of the passenger side speakers dropped out briefly.

If I can't track this down tonight can I just pull that fuse and keep going? Looks like it might also give the ECU its backup, but would it really matter since my other option is to pull the battery cut off from my truck and use it until I can do this during daylight? I'm trying to hunt down my Haynes manual or an online wiring diagram so I can confirm/deny that bit.

edit: Oookay, can't pull that one because it sends power to something that controls a lot of important poo poo. But it looks like it also sends power into the interior fuse box for some accessory poo poo so off I go pulling those fuses!

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 28, 2017

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I found it. It is possibly the most single retarded car thing I have ever seen, previous owners not withstanding.

It's the god drat driver's power door lock button. Yes, the button.

The button is pulling over one third of one amp. The spring return for it broke some time ago so it gets stuck on the "lock" side and when it's not in the middle it draws loving 0.37 amps. Get it in the middle (which I did totally by accident while reaching for something else) and the drain immediately drops to zero. The unlock side drains a lot too, but not nearly as much.

As to how much poo poo I've got to remove to get at the thing? Basically all the plastic on the god drat door! And it's got a single wiring harness for the locks and the power windows so yay for that!

Imagine a :ughh: slowly growing to fit your entire screen, that's me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
loving poo poo, I was hoping I was missing something and didn't really have to pull the door off but nope, there are screws holding the panel in on the inside of the door trim.

Edit: fixed, finally. Ripped the plastic rocker part off and went on with life. Ebay replacement coming eventually then I get to do it all over again. :lol:

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 28, 2017