Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There are way too many TV shows, podcasts, books, etc. that I want to watch/read/listen to and the list keeps growing faster than I can get through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Someone posted table-breaking images in this thread. :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When you go to wash your hands, so you push your sleeves up, then just as you've started soaping up your hands, your sleeve slips back down and now you have to awkwardly try to avoid getting it wet while still rinsing the soap off your hands.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Show Me A Chicken posted:

I have a hard drive full of classic Doctor Who, but my smart TV won't recognize the files no matter what I do so I might have to just play them on my laptop if I want to watch them.

Just plug the TV into the laptop and use it as a monitor?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sometimes when I'm renaming files I'll go to use Shift-Del as the shortcut for "cut", but in the file manager that's always interpreted as "delete file" instead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

kannonfodder posted:

T-shirts and jeans are literally the only clothes a person should need in life. But every now and then some bullshit happens where you need to wear something that isn't the most comfortable clothes ever made.

If you're going for pure comfort, don't care how it looks, track pants are a better option than jeans.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I forgot to turn the oven on, so now my dinner's going to be slightly later than I'd planned.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

There's two buses I can catch to take me to work in the morning. There's one at 8:26 which for some reason some times just doesn't show up at all. There's another at 8:39 which just barely gets me to work on time.
A few years ago I lived in a place where there were no trains or trams, so I had to catch a bus, and I'd always have to catch the bus that got me to work half and hour early because the one twenty minutes later was often running late and would just skip my stop to make up time. :argh:

Kaubocks posted:

Both buses cover the same route and both make a stop at a subway station where the bus quickly fills up. If I'm riding the 8:39, the driver of that route spends the next several minutes yelling at people to keep moving to the back of the bus to make room for more people even when we don't have any room to move. The driver of the 8:26, however, doesn't say a word and it's hilarious how bad people are at making room. The front of the bus is jam packed with people standing shoulder to shoulder with the back of the bus having so much room I could stretch my legs out.
I don't understand the thought process that leads to this. Whenever I get on a tram I move immediately away from the doors. Most people pause in the doorway to scan their ticket on the nearest machine. Granted, the whole Myki system is terrible and anyone could see that putting those machines by the doors was going to make this happen, but come on. You've travelled by tram before, you know there are more machines further in, stop blocking the doorway.

Then there's the way people run right up to the tram (or train) as soon as it arrives, then have to back off to let people out. You know people are going to be trying to get out, just wait. I've even seen people immediately get up and cluster around the doors of a train after an announcement over the PA had just said "Please do not board the train." Sit down, you idiots. You have to wait for the announcement saying we can get on. The doors won't even open yet!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Apparently it is impossible to find tax forms here anymore, without having to print them up, and I do not own a printer. So I had to pay to file them online, which is $20 I really didn't want to spend right now.

When I need to print something I just go to the library. 20˘ a page.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I want to learn to roller skate but there's only an hour session at the local rink and I don't want to be the only fat 30-something year old trying not to fall flat on her rear end.
What's to learn? Roller skating is the sort of thing you just try and then you can do it.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This describes my best friend except it's his own loving fault for always skipping the tutorials.
"Blah blah blah, get to the good bits... How do I do anything?"
:mad:
Well, some games do have really tedious tutorials that make you go slowly through the basics one at a time, so sitting through that to get to the bit you actually need to know can be a real chore.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I have too much delicious food in my house. I just ate a toasted sandwich containing pork and peppercorn terrine, cheese and pumpkin and now I can't eat pâté on toast or chorizo and prawn risotto, or pumpkin soup or hummus with Turkish bread, and I want to eat them all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I have tons of stuff I could be doing, things I've wanted to have time to do for ages, but I'm just not feeling like doing any of them today.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

At 7am this morning, after about three hours sleep, I suddenly found myself wide awake for no apparent reason. I have no need to be up this early and I'll probably be really tired later.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

No Such Thing posted:

I ate some fries and now i'm full of fries but I still have fries left, I don't want to throw the fries away but I also don't want to put the fries in the fridge because they'll get mealy and i'll throw them out later in the week anyway. I need some sort of cool fry life hack to keep them nice so I can eat them later.

When you go back to them, microwave them and eat them with mayonnaise. They still won't be as good as fresh, but they're not bad that way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

About what? My sister, or the problem I was having? If the latter, it was an issue with the Awful app that I fixed by the arcane art of "clearing the cache". If the former, that's creepy you're creepy :catstare:
You solved the problem of having no toothpaste by clearing the cache on your phone? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I spent the long weekend sleeping in and staying up late and now it's 2am and I'm not even remotely tired, but I want to get up at a reasonable time tomorrow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My bedroom clock radio isn't picking up Classic FM properly any more (probably because of the weather) so now I have to wake up to Triple J instead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

3: I kinda wanna call and brag to :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren: about how awesome of a boyfriend I am because I'm not banging chicks on the side but that's dumb, but it seems like I am owed brownie points for being a good boyfriend and yet somehow, I'm not getting the relationship cheevos outta this poo poo.

Why would you get points for not doing the wrong thing? Isn't that just the baseline of what's expected of you? That's like expecting the police to ring you up to thank you for not committing any crimes today.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I have two coupons for $5 off six-packs of beer I like, but you can't use them both on the same day and the supermarket they're for isn't the convenient one near my house, so I'm going to have to make two trips there on separate days.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Tried to set up a meet with another fishkeeper, at 2am today we agreed to meet "tomorrow." For me, since it's 2am, that means today is Saturday, tomorrow is Sunday. For Mr rear end in a top hat, "tomorrow" means Saturday because he forgot 2am Saturday morning doesn't mean Friday. He got real snippy when I pointed that out and I had to cancel the meeting.

You are the one who is wrong there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Because 2am Saturday morning is still Saturday, so tomorrow would be Sunday?

Technically yes, but no one means that when they say "tomorrow" after midnight. "Tomorrow" means the same thing at 2 am as it did three hours before.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've just moved to a new flat. My internet was supposed to be moved to the new address between one and six pm today. It's now well after six and it hasn't even been disabled at the old place yet, which probably means it'll be Monday before it actually gets sorted out. And the ISP aren't answering when I phone them "due to the large number of calls they're currently receiving".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I've just moved to a new flat. My internet was supposed to be moved to the new address between one and six pm today. It's now well after six and it hasn't even been disabled at the old place yet, which probably means it'll be Monday before it actually gets sorted out. And the ISP aren't answering when I phone them "due to the large number of calls they're currently receiving".

I ended up having limited internet access for a few hours today (most of which I was going to spend doing non-internet things anyway). Life is suffering.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My new flat has Venetian blinds in the bedrooms. They don't block the light very well and so the rooms get really bright really early. There was no blind at all in the livingroom, but we were told it would be installed and today it has been. A Venetian would have been really good in this room, since it lets you block out direct sunlight without making the room too dark. They've installed a roller blind here, which means I'm basically going to have to have the lights on in the afternoon most of the time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

The Amazon app is total poo poo because it defaults to applying a gift card balance to your order payment, even though I set default to credit card only on the website--there isn't an option for this on the app!!!! so now I have to cancel the order, but it's "not guaranteed" because I have prime and it's already shipping even though it's been less than 12 hours (I ordered it 10pm last night and it's 730am now). I'm worried they're going to charge me return shipping even though it's their stupid app's fault. I was saving this $200 to get myself something nice, not to pay goddamn return shipping for something that's technically their fault for having a lovely app.

I don't understand how this is even a problem? You spent your Amazon balance instead of real money. Real money is exactly like Amazon money, but better (because it can also be spent at other places). If for some reason you need Amazon money, just use the real money you still have (because you spent your Amazon money instead) to buy yourself a gift card.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The oven in my new flat is too small to fit my good stainless steel baking dish, and the grill tray (which I use most days) squeals in a very unpleasant manner when you move it.

I play Scrabble on Facebook and Draw Something on my tablet. Lately, both games seem to have just stopped notifying me when it's my turn.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

I need to go to IKEA again because I forgot to get some items last time I went, but it's far away and I hate driving. I would go on a weekday so there won't be traffic, but it's still like an hour away. Plus I don't have anything to listen to during the ride: the radio sucks, all stations have ads at the same time, and I'm sick of all the music that I have. Someone suggested Pandora or Spotify but I don't feel like putting in the effort to research it.
Podcasts? Audio books?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's the first computer I've ever built all on my own
You'll be surprised how easy it actually is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I was playing a game earlier, and when I stopped I noticed that Steam wanted to update, so I let it do that, and now in-home streaming seems to be broken. I'm just getting audio on a black screen. :-(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ilysespieces posted:

But the worst, if I'm in the bathroom and she happens to come in/be in the bathroom at the same time she wants to have a conversation! I have ignored her and she keeps saying my name until I acknowledge her. I try and give "uh huh" answers but seriously, let me poo poo in peace!

People who don't understand that there is no talking in the toilet are the worst.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I contacted Microsoft support because of an issue I'm having with Windows Movie Maker. There wasn't a support option for that particular product so I went to the general Windows one and asked the representative if they could help me with my problem. A loving hour later, after an incredibly frustrating conversation in which they would not give a simple or direct answer to any question, I finally established that the answer was "No, I can't help you with that." :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ilysespieces posted:

On the opposite side of the spectrum, besides one blurry picture back when we first started dating after the Barber hosed up, I've literally never seen my husband's bare face the entire 5+ years we've been together. He's had at the very least a goatee, nothing less, so I have no idea what his baby face looks like. I want him to shave it all but we're both afraid he'll look like a giant toddler.

Beards don't take that long to grow back, you know.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I ate some toast and it kind of scratched up the roof of my mouth a bit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I was looking at a bunch of stuff on eBay and had figured out what I wanted and was just about to buy it when the site stopped working.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Brightman posted:

Despite having a newish gaming PC and running poo poo amazingly I super dislike the "pc master race" stuff. Mainly because anytime it comes up in earnest someone mentions all the tweaks that have to be made for games at launch in ini files and driver updates and poo poo, and the "pc master race" denies that's a thing. We all know very well that the majority of the time it's a thing
What games is this a thing for? I buy games through Steam and they just work (the few exceptions being older games that have some sort of problem with Windows 8 or 10).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Brightman posted:

Not just inis but driver bullshit, don't forget the driver bullshit. Also this is dependent on your hardware and maybe the threshold you have for janky mouse acceleration, fov, etc. Last ini I had to gently caress with was Fallout 4. Similar things happened with GTA5, and Batman is a whole...thing. So no, that's not my problem, my problem is people acting like this isn't something that exists.

Pretty sure, for most people, it isn't something that exists.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Brightman posted:

What's the last game you played at launch that "just work" as you put it? I have an i7-4790k, 16 gigs of ram, 970 gtx and still had to twiddle with Fallout's inis, because regardless of being able to run it at a solid 60 at max settings, the fov was still 80 with forced mouse acceleration. Is PC the best? Unquestionably. Is it perfect? gently caress. No.

Most of them. Like, I have no idea whether any game I play runs at 60FPS or what the FOV is or what mouse acceleration does, and I'm pretty sure most people who play games are the same. That's some hardcore nerd poo poo. I used to make sure the screen resolution was right, but most games now just have that automatically detected, so I just leave the settings on the defaults and play the game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

I. loving. Hate. These new chip card readers. I was just at trader joes and pulled the card out in the middle of the transaction and the whole loving machine crashed for like 5 minutes and I was holding up the line because of this loving card poo poo.

We've had chip and PIN cards here for years and I've never heard of anyone having this problem. The RFID ones we've got now are even better.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

Any one I've used here you have to stick the card in ONLY at the end of the transaction, not during

Why would you try to swipe your card before the end of the transaction? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Google Maps is a huge pain in the arse to use now. It used to be much more straight-forward and easy to make it do what I wanted. I can't even figure out how to get some things to work that I used to be able to do, like showing the map side-by-side with street view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't know if my nieces and my other nephew really liked their Xmas gifts;

Can't you just ask their parents?