Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Roleplaying Dad posted:

I had set my bedroom lights to turn on when I got within a mile of my house

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hey, s/he could have a wife and a boyfriend, you don't know.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

My laptop still hasn't offered me the Windows 10 upgrade :(
My laptop offered the upgrade, but when I tried to install it it just got stuck in a cycle where every time it started up it would say I needed to restart to install updates but never actually install anything. So I had to do the manual upgrade.

Then something on my Windows desktop stopped working, so one of the things I tried to fix it was manually upgrading to Windows 10 (because it hadn't been automatically offered yet). It didn't solve my problem, but it didn't cause any new problems either.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Mainstream support for windows 7, whatever that means, ended two days ago according to wikipedia. Extended support will still be available for four more years. No idea what any of that actually means, but I think we're good for a while longer.
IIRC it means they're only doing security updates now.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

At the rate that they come out with new versions, I'm sure Windows 10 or 11 will be out by then. Maybe by 2020 I'll have enough reason to move on to a newer one (games no longer working on 7 is pretty much the only thing that would do it for me).
I stuck with Windows XP until I switched to Windows 8 when I eventually needed to use DirectX 10. Now I only have Windows installed on my gaming computer and my laptop, and my regular desktop that I use almost all the time runs Linux Mint, so I'm no longer as bothered by changes. I generally find Windows 10 pretty good as compared with other versions of Windows though.

But I'm never going back to using Windows as my main OS. Even when I was using Windows exclusively I found a few things (especially updates) really irritating, and having now gotten used to Linux, Windows just seems like it's being annoying on purpose.

At least in Windows XP there was always a way to just restart without installing updates, but in 10 I've had occasions where something wasn't working so I restart to see if that clears up the problem only to discover I've got to wait half an hour while it installs updates. In Linux, I don't need to restart. Ever. OS and app updates can be installed in the background any time and don't force you to stop what you're doing or restart the computer.

Oh, and since I upgraded to Win10, Windows has taken to asking me for each file extension if I want to continue handling that type of file with the program I've been using all along or switch to something else. Can't we just assume that unless I indicate otherwise, I don't want to change things for no reason?

If it weren't for all the games that only work in Windows, I'd see no reason for anyone to use it. Linux Mint is simpler and easier to use and far less aggravating.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

That's why I use a mouse mover program plus psshutdown from Sysinternals. Mouse mover keeps it from going to sleep and I can use psshutdown to schedule a shutdown in X minutes.

You can schedule a shutdown with the built-in task scheduler in Windows.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My flat gets really hot unless I open the windows, and there are some people down in the car park. I don't know if they can hear anything from my flat, but I can hear them quite clearly and I don't like it. It feels like people I don't know are just hanging around my house.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I just had a really delicious sandwich and now I'm not eating it any more because it's all gone and I'm not hungry but I still want to be eating that sandwich.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

90% of the time on the USB ports, the open holes are the "top" when it plugs in.

About half the time, the USB ports are sideways.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

But she's also gray-asexual so she is attracted sexually to people she knows? How is that a thing?

It isn't. There's nothing special about not wanting to have sex with strangers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

When did this come about? Because this term I'm supposed to take seriously is a (lovely, cis doesn't even remotely mean the real and imaginary components are equal) maths joke and I just can't.

No it isn't. It's based on cis and trans being opposites in in Latin (cis = this side / trans = across), so those who are not transgender are cisgender. I dislike the word, because it really feels artificial to me (since "cis" is not a common prefix in English like "trans" is and is not spelled/pronounced in an obvious way), but it's useful to have a term for that meaning and this is the one that's become accepted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I was looking in a cupboard for something, and I knocked down a glass light shade which fell onto the floor and shattered. I then had to try not to stab myself on the tiny slivers as I picked up the bigger fragments so that I could vacuum. Now I'm going to have to tell the property manager and they'll probably insist on replacing it (even though I don't want and won't use it). And the thing I was looking for wasn't even in that cupboard.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I have a lot of health problems you dig? And like my local health system/hospital has a hot staff number I'd generously put at around ten percent. A couple years ago I was having a vision problem and the srpetate building they have seemed more like goddamn eighty. Cue me awkward and goofy in every single visit and test.

What?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

I wish I could read the forums while treadmilling but I only have my phone since my iPad doesn't have the cell network ability, only wifi, and the screen on my phone is super small obviously, and running is pretty bouncy so impossible to read a tiny screen. So I end up watching the weird tv shows they're showing on mute. Sometimes I make up scripts for what they're saying but most times I just get angry because the shows are so stupid and the adrenaline and stuff

You should listen to podcasts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

We got ice cream for my niece and everyone but Dairy Queen was out of the long plastic straws so I have to use the tiny-rear end ones and actually pay attention to not get ice cream on my fingers.

You're sucking ice-cream through a straw?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

Wait, let me try to get this straight. You called a bank to transfer your moneys and one of the people there thought it was good idea to call you a racist for a different political view?

I read it that way at first too, but I assume they actually meant they worked at a call centre (phone bank) soliciting for donations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

:confused: What else would you call em? Big plastic jars of orange juice, the kind you pick up at the store.

These things?

Bottles.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I cannot believe a copy of Windows 10 costs over $100. I was looking into making a small Intel NUC box to connect to my TV but they don't come with the OS.

Unless you need something specific that's only available in Windows, go with Linux Mint instead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I have no idea how to use Linux.

Mikl posted:

It's super easy, the most complicated part is installing it but to do that there's plenty of guides around.

Linux Mint is dead easy to use and install. You put the disc in and turn the computer on then follow the prompts, and once installed it's pretty much the same as Windows. There are a few quirks, but no more than switching between different versions of Windows. I actually use it because I find it way less hassle than Windows. Installing programs with the package manager is a bit of a difference, but likely everything you need will be already installed by default anyway, and it's not actually harder to find and install stuff, just different to what you're probably used to.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Linux Mint is dead easy to use and install. You put the disc in and turn the computer on then follow the prompts, and once installed it's pretty much the same as Windows. There are a few quirks, but no more than switching between different versions of Windows. I actually use it because I find it way less hassle than Windows. Installing programs with the package manager is a bit of a difference, but likely everything you need will be already installed by default anyway, and it's not actually harder to find and install stuff, just different to what you're probably used to.

Also it's free and can be run from the disc, so you can download and try it out without having to commit to it.

Edit: Whoops, quoted instead of editing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A guy was supposed to come to check the smoke alarms and replace the batteries today at eleven, so I decide to stay in bed till 10:45. The guy showed up at 10:45. Why even make an appointment if you're going to be 15 minutes early?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

They seem to work fine, but don't have the "ultra fast charging" my phone claims is going on when I use the USB-C charger it came with with a super short cord. Supposedly data transfers faster on them too.

I think this is a USB 3 thing, so it'll only work if your computer has USB 3 ports, which are the blue ones.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Someone accidentally set their phone to forward their calls to my number today, and so I've been getting phoned all day by idiots who can't understand that phoning the same number twice in a row will get you the same person both times. One particularly persistent idiot's got a private number so I can't even block him. And almost none of them are even polite about it. What makes people think it's OK to respond to "Sorry, I think you have the wrong number" by just hanging up? Or respond to hearing an unexpected voice answer the phone by just hanging up? Are you children? Also, I've lost count of how many conversations today have started:

:) Hello.
:downs: Hello.
:) Yes? Hello?
:downs: Who is this?

You'd think they'd never used a telephone before. You called me, idiot, tell me who you're looking for. And when it turns out that you've called the wrong person, apologise, and then don't immediately call back. Also don't call back an hour later. Or an hour after that. And don't complain to me that your friend's redirected her phone to my number. Believe me, if there were anything I could do about it, I'd have done it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I just had to cough and had a mouthful of scotch and ending up half choking on it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

baram. posted:

why would anyone be upset about moving from microusb? easily one of the worst connector standards i've had to deal with.

I'm really annoyed with micro-USB, because I have tons of mini-USB cables that I no longer have any use for and a bunch of devices that use micro-USB that no longer connect properly to my computers. It seems like mini-USB was way more reliable, and I now have a bunch of cables I can't use for anything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

Apparently if you have Prime on an Amazon site, say dot-it, you don't on other sites, such as dot-co-dot-uk. Which is some right bullshit if you ask me.

I don't understand why the different Amazon sites exist. What's the point? It keeps telling me I can switch to amazon.com.au and I just don't know why I would want to do that or why that site even needs to exist. I have a few friends in the UK and sometimes they post links to Amazon on Facebook, and several times I've been confused as to why I couldn't buy the ebook they were talking about until I realise the link they posted is to amazon.co.uk and for some reason that's an issue. I have to go to amazon.com or amazon.com.au and manually search for the book to buy it.

Also, with those affiliate links where people get money if you click and buy something, how do those work with the different Amazon sites? If I click my friends amazon.co.uk affiliate link and then proceed to buy the book he recommended from amazon.com, does he get anything for that? How does that work? It all seems needlessly and annoyingly complicated.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Distribution rights, shipping costs, and warehouse logistics.

How does any of that need separate sites? I can already order stuff from amazon.com to an Australian address no problem. And I don't care if they show me different content based on my location, I just don't understand why they need separate sites that don't work if you go to the wrong one. Other sites manage to show country-specific prices and content without all that inconvenience. Like, if I send someone a link to a game on Steam, they'll see the correct price for their country (or no price if it's not for sale there) and the correct version too if there's a censorship issue. Even with Amazon, if I search amazon.com for an ebook that's not available in Australia, it won't show up in my search results. So what's the point of amazon.com.au?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

Non depressing content: I really hate games that have mods and custom content because I feel like I spend more time trying to figure out which content is breaking my game than actually PLAYING the game.

You could just not use the mods?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Google either saves every email address you've ever sent mail to, or I just never delete them
Any address you send mail to gets automatically added to your address book. It's kind of annoying sometimes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I was trying to record some audio on my computer and for some reason everything was super quiet. After messing around with audio settings for a while and trying the microphone on a different computer I finally figured out that I'd accidentally pressed the mute button, and for some reason it doesn't actually mute the microphone just turns the recording volume way down. So when I'd do stuff like blow on the microphone to see if it was working, that was loud enough to come through, so I didn't think to check if it was muted. Even speaking really loudly came through (very quietly) in the recording. :psyduck:

And now I finally got that sorted out, but when I tried to record myself and listen back to it it sounded weird and I can't tell if that's because of something I did when I was messing with the settings or if it's just the usual thing of not being familiar with the sound of your own voice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

sausage-sized hot dogs

Aren't all hot-dogs sausage-sized? Sausages come in a range of sizes. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

http://www.whompcomic.com/comic/the-foreseeable-farture

I can't stop farting. I've been farting continually for years.

I just realised that Whomp hasn't been showing up in my feed reader for ages because apparently at some point he changed the feed's URL.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When you get those collector cards on Steam, now to sell them you have to confirm it on your phone for some reason. :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I hear great things about Person of Interest but I've tried to watch it three times now and it's boring as gently caress.

My issue with that show is, I watched two and a half seasons and it was exactly the sort of show I like and could watch forever, and then it started turning into something else that isn't nearly as good. I'm hoping season four reverts to the formula and puts the whole battling AIs thing into the background.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm stuck one a puzzle in Magnetic: Cage Closed and I can't find a walkthrough that isn't a goddamn loving video.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I haven't built a PC in about 10 years

Then you're in for a pleasant surprise. Putting a computer together these days is pretty much hassle free, and if you could do it at all ten years ago then you can do it now with your eyes shut. And if your concern is that you don't know what to buy, check the PC building thread.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

and before anyone says 'just take it to a computer repair place', I don't actually know where any are :downs: I don't know where jack poo poo is in this city, because the DMV doesn't want me getting a license (due to my seizure disorder) so I never bothered memorizing what is where on which street. I'm aware this is more an issue with me than anything else.

Go to Google maps and put in your address, then when you've got the map up showing your local area, search for "computers" (or whatever else you're looking for). Or look in the phone book.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I recently started wearing glasses, and I've noticed that if I wear them when I eat, the movement of my jaw makes them slip forward in a slightly annoying way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I was throwing and catching a big red die and I dropped it. It rolled away somewhere and now I can't find it. I moved the couch, looked under the table and chairs, under the desk, in the bin, pulled all the cushions off the couch in case it had fallen behind one, and it's just vanished.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

How the hell you planning on putting lipstick on your beak? :confused:

With her foot, presumably.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've recently discovered that I really like dark lagers, but there don't seem to be any available in the shops near my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Am I the only one that only has the FB messenger app but not the FB app?

Nope. The messenger app is handy and I use it fairly often. The main FB app is worse than just loading up the website. I've never understood the complaining about them being split up, because it just means you can still use messenger without having to have the rest of it.