Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I ordered a new graphics card from Amazon UK last month to be shipped to Australia and after a month of evasion and daily emails i-parcel finally admitted that they had 'lost'(stolen) my parcel.
Amazon are sending me a replacement and it's estimated to arrive sometime between the 12-17th March.
I'm away for a long weekend in Yogyakarta, Java that weekend. It's the only time in months that I won't be at home :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I went to one of the top restaurants in my country last night for dinner to celebrate my partners birthday. We paid an extra $40 each to have black truffle on the lamb course in our 9 course degustation menu.
I'd never had truffle before and was expecting it to be amazing. It smelt really good but I found the taste to be a bit disappointing really and not as good as I thought it was going to be. I feel like a foodie fraud now.
At least the rest of the menu was amazing and Neil Perry is the only chef who could persuade me to eat licorice and banana together in a desert. So that was nice.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hardcordion posted:

It's -30 C with the windchill today and I have to walk around downtown to buy christmas presents after work.

I went Christmas shopping in 100c heat!

#First world southern hemisphere problems

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's nearly midnight and it's still 30c. Again.
This summer has been too hot and too humid. gently caress hot and sticky nights.
I want my head to feel cold.
Mind you, come July when I'm shivering and huddled up in the cold I'll be wishing for the heat again.
Never happy.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Mikl posted:

A major newspaper here in Italy has started to do that dumb "you can only read ten articles per month for free, click here and pay us money if you want more" on its website.

They probably track it by cookies, if so deleting cookies and reloading the page when you hit the paywall should reset everything. Should.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

There's an official form I need to fill in and they emailed me the pdf of it. The form requires a signature which you can do in the pdf, BUT I write with my left hand and use a mouse with my right hand. I can't do my signature using the mouse in my right hand and I can't use my mouse in my left. So I can't sign it digitally.
So now I have to forward the form to my partner who can print it out at work, fill it in by hand then take it to the post office, buy an envelope and stamp and post the drat thing. Ugh!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Kelp Me! posted:

Just sign a piece of paper, scan/photo with your phone, crop it and import it into the pdf

I've literally signed off on government documents this way so you'll be fine I promise

That is genius! I'll give it a try, thanks!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

There are 27 Starbucks in my whole country. I live in a big country. This isn't actually a first world problem at all tbh because we have lots of good coffee shops instead.

My first world problem is that the bottle shop had run out of our favourite box of goon so we had to buy a different one instead which has slightly more Cabernet in it so it has slightly more tannins and isn't quite as nice.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

cinni posted:

The movie theater near me began doing assigned seating. You can pick where you want to sit from available seats on the touch screen at the ticket booth but it seems unnecessary and a way to start fights with people over being in YOUR seat. Does it really, really matter? Are we not capable of sitting down in a place of our own choosing? I guess its for if you want your favorite seat but don't feel like showing up until five minutes into the movie and get to kick people out of your chairs. Just show up somewhat early if not at least on time and I am sure you can find a suitable place to sit without e-piss claiming it.

Also having somewhat long hair and there being wind outside. Not only are you constantly blinded but forget having a hairstyle that day without helmeting it down with gel or hairspray.

Australia has assigned seating in cinemas. It works fine, never had problems with anyone being in my seat. I mean, you get assigned seating at a theatre so why not at the cinema? Are Americans really so terrible that they can't sit in a seat they booked for themselves?

My FWP is that we need to move house and looking for a new place to live is slightly exhausting and mentally taxing. Plus filling out all the application forms is time consuming.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm packing to move house. Holy gently caress it's boring!
I keep finding random areas of dust and grime in areas that I obviously haven't cleaned in 5 years.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Bees on Wheat posted:

The elevator in my apartment complex has been out of service for two weeks and I have no idea when/if they ever plan to fix it. Goddammit guys, I'm a goon, you can't expect me to use the stairs!

Honestly it wouldn't be that bad if I wasn't on my feet at work all day and didn't have to run up and down the stairs there all the time. Or if this place didn't have stupidly tall ceilings, meaning it's actually two flights of stairs between each floor..

:sigh:

On the bright side it’s saving you a fortune in gym fees!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

If you think Irish and European butter are good you should try some New Zealand butter. Their stuff is like crack.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

loving Jetlag.
Flown back to Australia from visiting family in the UK and I'm struggling to get back into Aussie time for sleep.
I'm waking up after about 3 hours sleep and not getting back to sleep until the sun is up and then sleeping until early afternoon, or forcing myself up and spending the day as a loving zombie. No matter how tired I am when I go to bed at midnight I either doze for a few hours or just not sleep.
I have things to do ffs.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

This is the one weird thing where being a woman is an actual advantage as we can just dump all that poo poo into a handbag.
Men need to make it acceptable to carry a bag too and then you won’t need to worry about your keys and wallets and won’t make your pockets look all bulky and deformed.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Unfortunately American made sunscreen is just not as effective as ones made in Europe or Australia (who need to be hyper vigilant about sunscreen effectiveness as the Aussie sun wants to kill you).
I would look at reviews for the brand you get and see how it fares. Hopefully you can get something stronger and better and that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. Get at least a factor 30 cream and apply a teaspoons worth to all exposed body parts at least 20 mins before going outside.
The best prevention is also to cover up, wear long sleeves and trousers and a hat.
As the Aussies say Slip (on a shirt) Slop (on a factor 30+ cream) and Slap (on a Hat)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Our dishwasher has a fault so I’m having to wash up by hand like some heathen.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Bees on Wheat posted:

It's been like 95F inside my apartment all day and I swear I killed some brain cells because I haven't been able to summon enough energy to get up and put on clothes and go literally anywhere else.

My neighbor was going to give me his old AC unit after he gets a new one, but it died last night and started spewing hot air. I bought a giant box fan instead but I had to visit like three different stores to find one. Even the big fuckoff Target was completely out of stock on everything except lovely battery powered fans.

It's cooling off now but I still feel nauseous and my head kinda hurts. :saddowns:

Drink lots and lots of cool water, it sounds like you are dehydrated. Also put a cold washcloth on your forehead and/or wrists (or get a fancy gel pack thing).

You probably know a few tips for keeping a space cooler if you don't have AC, but it's worth repeating in case people don't know. Keep windows closed during the day and shaded, open them up at night to get cooler air in and try to get a cross flow going if you can.
Fans are useless if they are just moving hot air around but you could put a bowl of ice in front of it to help cool the air.
Spend some time at an air-conditioned mall/cinema if feasible to get free (sort of) cooling and escape your hotbox apartment.
Comedy option: Move to Norway.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The weather here can't decide which season to actually be in. We've gone from yesterday being 30c and sunny like it's summer to today being 15c and raining like it's winter.
I've packed my jumpers away because it's actually spring and now I'm going to need them for this week because it's cold again.
And yes, 15c is cold for Australians.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Lossy Compression posted:

Also, they're gradually training everyone to think ten episodes is a season.

That’s a good thing.
It’s better than stretching plots out over too many episodes and running out of ideas and having crappy filler episodes. But then I grew up on British TV where shorter seasons were the norm and ad breaks were minimal or non existent so you had more actual show in your show.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Poldarn posted:

I got a new washer and dryer which are cool, but the washer is front loading and when I take clothes out they all come in a huge clump and some fall on the floor before I can put them in the dryer.

Laundry basket.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Nordick posted:

I am so goddamn sick of constantly being out of milk (I drink a lot of it), but I have to do my grocery shopping on foot and there's only so much that I can haul at once with my goony-rear end noodle arms.

I just had a couple real nice tasty sandwiches, and not being able to chug a big glass of cold milk to chase them down is actually making me distraught.

Isn’t drinking milk supposed to make you strong?
Drinking more milk will enable you to carry more milk and being able to carry more milk will mean you can drink more.
Circle of life mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Manager Hoyden posted:

There is a guy in my workplace who sometimes shits at the same time I do. He grunts when he shits.

It is gross and it makes me uncomfortable. You don't need to vocalize when you are making GBS threads. That is a fact I have learned through many years of making GBS threads.

Also you can see his underwear under the divider and they are tighty whities. This grunting poo poo man is wearing tighty whities all day too.

Silently pass him some constipation medicine under the divider.