Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I want to go to Dublin AND Oslo for my 30th birthday, and I want to go to Dublin slightly more since I've never been there before, but Oslo is way less expensive. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Jeza posted:

Even with the fall in their currency, there's no way Oslo is cheaper than Dublin.

I just meant the flights themselves.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I've started bringing my lunch to work every day and home-cooking dinner instead of visiting fast food places on the way home, and I keep failing to buy enough groceries to last the whole week.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Since starting my job I've gained 30 pounds. Been eating way too much garbage.

Fixed for my situation. Going from ramen & eggs to actual adult human food has made me a bit...Rubenesque. :btroll:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I absolutely adore my little tree ghost Pokemon, but the game I'm playing is filled with poison/dark opponents, rendering her much more useless than she'd ordinarily be.

Also, she didn't learn any draining moves until like level 52. :sigh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
There's a deli around the corner from my job that sells individual Fage yogurt cups. The spoons that they give you at the bodega are ever-so-slightly too wide to get all the way into the fruit compartment, and our office breakroom has run out of spoons, so I was only able to eat about 80% of the fruit that came with my yogurt. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Outrail posted:

Use your finger you goddam hoity toity bourgeoisie scumbag. I bet you eat pizza with a knife and fork.

:aaa:

:aaaaa:

Dr Christmas posted:

My sister stopped by our house to prepare for a trip with some friends. She brought a couple boxes of Samoas and left them here for us.

I don't like coconut. Why didn't she buy thin mints instead :argh:?

Do-si-dos and Tagalongs are the only good Girl Scouts cookies, and also I'm sorry your sister hates you.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

kreyla posted:

Oh my gosh. I love Fage yogurt SO MUCH. Albertsons had a weeklong sale with Fage 10/$10, and every day now I have been having it with fresh strawberries. I actually look forward to getting up for breakfast. I have a ton of energy too from all the protein. Hnnnngh FAAAAAGE

Which reminds me of another first-world problem I'm having:

There is a 10/$10 Fage sale at my local grocery store, but the store only stocks the 2% kind, which makes vaguely plastic-like to me. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
My wonton soup is slightly too salty. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Dunkin Donuts updated their mobile site so that you can't scan a free beverage coupon from your phone if you use your phone's browser to pull it up.

Dunkin Donuts also refuses to make a Windows Phone app, so now I have to print out my coupons in advance. :negative:

edit: loving Christ, I can't even print the coupon from the website anymore -- I have to print it from my email. What a total pain in the rear end.

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Apr 20, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
My work has free GOOD coffee (like, we have our own bean-grinder and everything), and free sugar, but no free milk.

We do, however, have powdered creamer ( :stonk: ), and those little individual creamer packets that are made entirely of hydrogenated vegetable oil & artificial flavors. :smithicide:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I ran out of toilet paper this morning. My options are "buy one single overpriced roll at the bodega on the way home" or "buy a couple of reasonably priced 12-packs at the grocery store & struggle dragging them home".

My other options are "stop off at my apartment & bring my shopping cart to the grocery store to make getting two 12-packs of toilet paper home" and "get only one 12-pack of toilet paper", but I don't feel like doing either. Once I'm inside my apartment after work, I'm in for the night.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Kelp Me! posted:

Just grab a roll from work

I'm pretty sure the rolls are locked on there, but I'll see what I can do.

Noctone posted:

Don't you live in NYC? Have Amazon deliver that poo poo.

I do, but no. I'm not that bougie (yet?).

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

bradzilla posted:

buying stuff from amazon is apparently bougie, uh ok

I'm just not really ready to make the leap to buying groceries online. For one, I have a perfectly good grocery store very near to my apartment. Secondly, I love brick-and-mortar grocery shopping.

As far as Amazon goes, I buy basically every non-grocery non-clothing item I can from them, although I also prefer clothes-shopping in person because I apparently have a non-Euclidean body.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I got my period today but I'm going to a baseball game tomorrow and the pain meds I'll have to take to survive the day mean I won't be able to drink :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I made a post recently on Twitter that was fine, but I fired it off in like 3 seconds and apparently all of Twitter is in love with it because my phone hasn't stopped buzzing with notifications in like two days.

Whenever I make a tweet that I consider well-thought out, informative, and insightful/witty, it gets very moderate response, if anything. I need social media lessons or something.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I got a Cyber Monday email from Air Canada. I'm planning to visit Toronto in August -- the deals are only for trips as late as mid-June.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
They raised the price of goat milk at my local grocery store by 20 cents. :mad:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
It's 6:30pm and I have to go grocery-shopping. Grocery-shopping in the evening is meh.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I have recently moved for the sole purpose of shortening my commute to work, and now my commute is too short for me to eat breakfast during. :saddowns:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
My lease ends on May 31. I meant to spend Memorial Day weekend cleaning my poo poo out of my old apartment, but I got sick on Thursday and I still haven't recovered. My apartment is filled to the brim with knick-knacks and trash. I've made a decent dent in it over time, but gently caress. Also I'm going to a baseball game tonight. :doh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I started feeling light headed and all the blood had me concerned so I called 911. I felt kind of like a dingus for that but I was seriously bleeding very, very badly.

[...]

I feel like a butt for taking their time. That's the firstworldiest of problems, I think. Still, the ambulance crew was real nice about it and were like "we totally get why you were worried. That does look pretty bad but anything involving a head is probably worse than it looks. If it finally quit you're fine so get yourself cleaned up. If it starts again that bad though that can be a bad sign so call us again."

Parallel lives.

I started feeling light-headed and since I've had two seizures in the recent past (December and January) under the same circumstances that I'm currently under (on my period), I called 911. The thing is, to alleviate cramps, I ate two slices of "cosmic" cinnamon toast with stronger butter than I've ever made before, so it turns out I was just freaking out, lol. :doh: I, too, felt like a butt for taking their time, but they were nice about it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I have an annoying coworker, and one of my other coworkers thinks they're annoying too, but the coworker that agrees with me CONSTANTLY complains about EVERYTHING so I don't want to vent to him and inadvertently encourage him. :sigh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Picnic Princess posted:

My grandparents had a rotary phone and my home number had a bunch of 9's in it and I hated calling it.

My grandmother's phone number has a 9 & 0 in a row, and when I was a kid & would call her from my great-grandparents' rotary phone, I always looked forward to those two numbers the most. :3:

Mikl posted:

I'm mad about fan fiction (some specific aspects of it) but no one I know cares enough about the subject to listen to me rant :(

:ninja:

Mikl posted:

You know what? I'll post it here, and gently caress it. It still counts as a FWP because it irritates me to no end and I've no one else to discuss it.

There's a type of fanfic called "alternate universe". The author takes an established fictional universe, changes something, and runs from there. Some are quite good! Because the events and character development, though different, follow logically from that one single change, and if you know the original material the fanfic is derived from you can see that yes, the characters would react in this and that way, and the plot would develop this and that way. All from a single change. It's cool!

However, some authors take this to the logical extreme. Instead of changing one thing, they change everything, basically changing the whole background of the fictional universe and the characters, their personality, motivations, etc. It gets to the point where you're basically reading a piece of original fiction where the characters, settings, themes, and so on, are entirely different from what they were, with only the names reminding you that yes, these are supposed to be the fictional people you care about. And I hate this.

tl;dr: I'm a huge nerd who gets irritated by people doing the wrong thing on the internet. Carry on.

AU is ridiculous, and it seems like people either take it WAY too far or not nearly far enough. So as you were saying, you'll have stories where everything is so different it might as well just be an original story, but then you have stories that are like "3 years in the future"-AU or "takes place in England instead of Germany" and it's like, what even is the point?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Dealing with tech job recruiters is a physically painful experience and I hate it.

I'm a QA engineer -- not even senior -- and I get calls from recruiters about senior software engineer positions, QA lead positions, developer positions, yadda yadda yadda. It never loving ends, and it's NEVER about a position I'm actually qualified for. gently caress.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm going to my first black tie optional event on the 26th, and I'm transitioning from one job to another over the holiday break, so I don't have as much money as I thought I was going to have for dress- & shoe-shopping purposes.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I was nervous to buy a new phone for a day and a half despite writing like six different paycheck budgets that included weeks of groceries, laundry, and savings, and I still feel vaguely weird about having bought the new phone. My current phone isn't broken or anything, I just thought a new phone seemed cool. I'm not used to replacing things that aren't actively falling apart.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
The batteries in my scale died. :smith:

Also, my new phone's Wi-Fi symbol has lines in it, unlike my old phone's Wi-Fi symbol. I liked my old phone's symbol better, and I can't seem to change/update the new one's.

Also also, I tried to play Dungeons of Dredmor on my laptop and it opened up so wide that I couldn't adjust the view, nor could I minimize the window, nor could I proceed into the game, so I had to restart my computer and I can't figure out how to get Dungeons of Dredmor -- a very fun game that I paid good money for -- to run properly.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
The free apples at work aren't pink lady. :smith:

Christoph posted:

Whenever I'm disparaging a vacuum cleaner and I say, without thinking about it, that it sucks someone replies "that's what it's supposed to do hur hur hur hur."

I loving hate that poo poo.

I hate people who feel the need to make wordplay out of everything, to the point that there is a line in my OkCupid profile that basically says that you shouldn't like puns if we're going to see each other or Monty Python, Doctor Who, or astrology. :ninja:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I finally caught up on the zaurg thread, and now I don't have anything to read while I ride the subway.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I want a V-neck women's Jeff McNeil shirsey. The only shirseys available are either for men, or have the name going down vertically so it looks fake. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Cowslips Warren posted:

I nannied for two families a decade ago and helped raise four awesome kids, so I really don't want my own (I could never afford one anyway!) but part of me wonders if I should have had baby fever by now. Or, because I devoted my life to a few hundred animals, I just can't?

Baby fever is not universal. Pregnancy & childrearing sound pretty awful, but they are definitely NOT obligatory. There's nothing wrong with you, as long as you're not one of those "childfree" weirdos posting about "crotch goblins" & "mombies" on Reddit.

There needs to be a support group for women who don't want children, because there's so much pressure on us to have them and no one should be bringing babies into this world that they don't want.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mzuri posted:

I've tried contacts three times now, and it just doesn't work for me :emo:

I tried contacts a few times, and it felt like I was wearing wet plastic bags on my eyes. Plus, I like taking my glasses off when I'm reading/using the computer (I'm nearsighted), and that just isn't similarly possible with contacts.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I was too lazy to do it last night, so I had to file my nails at work to get ready for a company archery event.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I upped my 401k contribution from 10% to 20% and now I don't know exactly how much my next paycheck will be so I have to wait until September to adjust my budget. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I had to wait until 10:30 for this place to open so I could get autumn kale salad for breakfast, then the salad gave me heartburn. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Away all Goats posted:

chrome changed how tabs worked and it's really annoying

Pastry of the Year posted:

had to fix this first thing this morning:

- Go to chrome://flags

- Set "Tab Hover Cards" to "Disabled"

- Restart Chrome

When Chrome rolled out this update, literally everyone I know, including myself, immediately tried to figure out how to disable it. Swing and a miss, Google.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Star Man posted:

I am always so utterly ashamed of my interests. I am a thirty-three year old man, I should not like things like video games, heavy metal, comics, and other kitsch things.

It's only acceptable to like that stuff because it's been made insanely marketable. The second it's not making money anymore is the day that stuff becomes shameful like it should be.

I'm a 32-year old woman who likes heavy metal and video games. Nothing wrong with liking stuff. :) Speaking of being a metalhead, I have a first world problem -- the Tır/Metsatöll/Heidevolk/Trollfest tour got canceled, as well as a bunch of other shows I had tickets for, so there's that. :smith:

Another other first world problem though: working from home suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Yes I'm getting paid, yes I work a job that allows me to work from home, but it's starting to drive me insane.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Aleph Null posted:

My wife and I watch TV for teenagers.

I watched Degrassi TNG until I was well into my 20s and I only stopped because aside from Holly J, the characters got boring. I'm still mad that Emma married Spinner and Jane barely even cared. Such bullshit.

Anyway, moral of the story: liking "inappropriate" stuff is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
People at the grocery store sometimes switch some of the mocha bottles in the Starbucks 4-packs with French vanilla, or just take bottles out of the pack, and it's super annoying having to inspect the 4-packs to make sure there aren't any French vanillas in there.

My company gave us all home office stipends since we can't come into the office, and the only desk I could afford with mine ended up being poorly manufactured and wobbly.