Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
oh boy here we go again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Joey Gladstone posted:

Bible should talk about brushing your teeth & flossing, it's important not only to your dental health but if you get an infection in a tooth you can die

the Bible does talk about hygiene stuff, like not drinking from the same water supply that you use for washing. very smart in a world before sanitation systems

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

But I would really like to go to Disneyland

Any Disney park really, I'm not picky

But Walt Disney World is obviously the best, you get like 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, mini-golf, regular golf, all kinds of cool poo poo. Who wouldn't want that? A crazy person, that's who.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 27, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Present posted:

Was there even a reason given for god owning Sodom and Gomorrah in the bible beyond "they were all sinners?"
Basically the people of Sodom were prideful dicks who didn't help the poor.

Ezekiel 16:49-50 posted:

‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me.'

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Zombie Boat posted:

Oh so like America?

STRIKE US DOWN OH MIGHTY GOD

No? Hello? Are you there? Hello? !?

Our time is coming.

Longfellow posted:

Though the mills of God grind slowly;
Yet they grind exceeding small;
Though with patience He stands waiting,
With exactness grinds He all.

(yes, I am aware that what I am now posting is unironic thread material.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Volume posted:

Alarmed by reports that more than half of those living in Los Angeles who are between the ages 18 to 34 are bilingual, Bryan Fischer declared on his radio program today that the fact that more and more people are speaking a language other than English in America is a sign of God's judgment upon this nation.

Seemingly unaware that the bilingual individuals profiled in the very article that he cited speak English in addition to another language, Fischer linked the rise of multilingualism in America to the story of the Tower of Babel in the book of Genesis in which God "confused the people with different languages" as punishment for their arrogance, saying that the same thing is now happening here.

"When God's judgment falls on a nation for turning its back on him," Fischer said, "one form that that judgment takes is that people lose their ability to talk to each other. It's a form and expression of God's judgment ... I believe God's judgment is beginning to settle in on this land in the form of linguistic isolation"

translation: "people speaking a language i don't understand in front of me makes me nervous. how do i know they're not saying bad things about me, or plotting against me somehow?!"

or to put it another way:

H.P. Lovecraft, The Horror at Red Hook posted:

The soul of the beast is omnipresent and triumphant, and Red Hook’s legions of blear-eyed, pockmarked youths still chant and curse and howl as they file from abyss to abyss, none knows whence or whither, pushed on by blind laws of biology which they may never understand.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jeez Louise

Galatians 3:28 posted:

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Volume posted:

I hear most people say that Christmas isn't important anyway because apparently "Christ was not born anywhere near December 25th." I guess I must be one of the few that believes He was indeed born on or near December 25th. I believe that the devil, who is the master of corruption, then went and tried to make the Christians think it was a pagan holiday

Yeah, the shepherds were grazing their flocks in the wintertime, when the fields were barren. Suuuure.

IIRC the December 25th date was pulled from Hippolytus of Rome's rear end back in the third century. See, Jesus was obviously conceived at the spring equinox, on March 25th - add nine months and boom, there's your Lord and Savior's birthday!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That's why the Heliand is all "Jesus is Jarl over the whole world and the Apostles were his totally badass warriors. You can be a badass too if you learn to chant the Godspell and are loyal to Jesus! :black101:"

EDIT: Check out the Heliand's version of the Nativity, it's great just like the rest of the book

quote:

Then there came a decree from Ft. Rome, from the great Octavian who had power over the whole world, an order from Caesar to his wide realm sent to every king enthroned in his homeland and to all Caesar’s army commanders governing the people of any territory.… It stated that all warrior heroes were to return to their assembly place, each one was to go back to the clan of which he was a family member by birth in a hill-fort….The good Joseph went also with his household, just as God, ruling mightily, willed it. He made his way to his shining home, the hill-fort at Bethlehem. This was the assembly place for both of them, for Joseph the hero and for Mary the good, the holy girl. This was the place where in olden days the throne of the great and noble good King David stood for as long as he reigned, enthroned on high, an earl of the Hebrews.

I have heard it told that the shining workings of fate and the power of God told Mary that on this journey a son would be granted her, born in Bethlehem, the strongest child, the most powerful of all kings, the Great One come powerfully to the light of mankind—just as foretold by many visions and signs. . . And it came to pass just as wise men had said long ago: that the Protector of People would come in a humble way, by his own power to visit this kingdom of earth. His mother, that most beautiful woman, took Him, wrapped Him in clothes and precious jewels, and then with her two hands laid Him gently, the little man, that child, in a fodder-crib, even though He had the power of God, and was the Chieftain of mankind. There the mother sat in front of him and remained awake, watching over the holy Child and holding it.

What happened became known to the horse-servants. They were outside; they were men on sentry duty, watching over the horses, the beasts of the field: they saw the darkness split in two in the sky, and the light of God came shining through the clouds and surrounded the guards in the fields. Those men began to feel fear in their hearts. They saw the mighty angel of God coming toward them. He spoke to the guards face to face and told them not to fear any harm from the light. “I am going to tell you,” he said, “something very wonderful, something very deeply desired. I want to let you know something very powerful: Christ is now born, on this very night, God’s holy child, the good Chieftain, at David’s hill-fort. What happiness for the human race, a boon for all men! You can find Him, the most powerful child, at Fort Bethlehem. He is there, wrapped up, lying in a fodder crib—even though he is king over all the earth and the Ruler of the world.” Just as he said that word, an enormous number of the holy army, the shining people of God, came down to the one angel from the meadows of heaven, saying many words of praise for the Lord of Peoples. They then began to sing a holy song as they wended their way through the clouds toward the meadows of heaven.

They soon found him, the Chieftain of Clans. They praised God the Ruler with their words. The lady, the holy girl, his mother, kept in her mind and in her heart whatever she heard the men saying.

Many heroes, the earls, very intelligent men, spoke on the eighth day with God’s girl, saying that the Child should have the name “healer” just as the angel of God, Gabriel, said in truthful words when he, as God’s messenger, gave this command to the woman. The mother, the loveliest of ladies, then fittingly brought up the Chieftain of many men, the holy heavenly Child, on love.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 16, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Top City Homo posted:

:dogbutton: and this is why we never wanted the Torah to be translated.

When the Heliand gets to the part where Jesus is getting arrested and Simon Peter chops a servant's ear off with a sword (John 18:10), the text starts going on about how Simon Peter manfully leapt up to Defend His Lord and What A Great And Loyal Warrior He Was and :gizz:. But then Jesus stops Simon Peter and there's even more :gizz: about how obeying your lord is even more important than protecting him. (So much for "Those who live by the sword will die by the sword.") It's my favorite part, I wish I could find it online.

E: Here's the Lord's Prayer in Saxon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8H9NIhd92Y

And here's a translation:

Heliand posted:

Father of us all, the sons of men
You are in the high heavenly kingdom
Blessed be Your name in every word
May Your mighty kingdom come
May Your will be done over all this world—
just the same on earth as it is up there
in the high heavenly kingdom.
Give us support, each day, good Chieftain,
Your holy help, and pardon, Protector of Heaven,
our many crimes, just as we do to other human beings
Do not let loathsome wights lead us off
to do their will, as we deserve,

but help us against all evil deeds.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 16, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

quakster posted:

i really like that scripture is "just" fanfics of vague secondhand recollections of poo poo that probably went down, maybe. dumb poo poo like groverhaus and lost fingat would make for great religion. "lest man be slain by his own dwelling"

furries and bronies are clearly demonically-possessed

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Top City Homo posted:

German Warlord Jezus

I feel like a lot more people would go to church these days if they could learn about the Chieftain of Chieftains and His magical Godspell

The trick would be separating the Neo-Nazis from the nice chill people

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

genesplicer posted:

I have asked my Fundamentalist relatives about the need for redemption by Jesus.

The runes of the Godspell are potent against the forces of Fate (e: and Time, can't forget Time), you need to accept their holy power or you'll be helpless against wights and rival warriors and who knows what else

I'm praying for you, genesplicer

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 16, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dzhay posted:

Who are these people who are seemingly friends with a bunch of nutters on Facebook just to take screenshots of them being stupid? I mean, thanks guys, but how do you know these people?

Sorry your grandma and/or mom passed away, RIP

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Volume posted:

as a collector i can agree, that SOME collectors border line on harrassment. when a prty answers the phn and says "wrong number", we are required by law to remove that number from the call list immediately. However, we(collectors) have a way of verifying weather or not a number or address is valid through a method called skip tracing...each and every time a consumer applies for any line of credit...it sends what they call a "trigger" in the system which automatically updates phone#'s, address, place of employment...etc, etc...now here is where I have an issue...Debt Collector is my job title...debt collections IS NOT illegal. I find that the people who have a problem with bill collectors are those THAT DON'T PAY THEIR BILLS ANY WAY! Bill collectors have been around since the Biblical times...that is a law established by our FATHER and CREATOR...we are suppose to pay our debts( Mat 6:12;Rom 4:4; Ezek 18:7; Luke 7:41; Rom 1:14 & 8:12; Gal 5:3). When you apply for a credit card or default on a contract and DO NOT pay it back...it's stealing i.e. THEFT OF SERVICES...my theory is...if you can pay thousands of dollars to a lawyer to sue a collection agency, then you can pay that 800.00( less or more) bill?????? or the most popular thing...bankruptcy. Don't get me wrong...some law suites are valid...however if you owe and someone like me calls your house to collect on something you know you owe ...pay it...in the end it's not hurting my job...it's hurting you...jacked up credit scores means higher intrest rates, putting up collateral, loan denials for homes, cars, etc. COLLECTION calls so forth and so on...so before you get angry at a bill collector take the time out to hear the information in regards to the call...say wrong number or provide contact information for the person they are calling for if you happen to know that person so the calls will stop comming to you...just a lil FYI!

I sure hope that none of the companies he collects for charge interest:

Ezekiel 18:13 posted:

Lends at interest, and takes profit; shall he then live? He shall not live. He has done all these abominations; he shall surely die; his blood shall be upon himself.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Commie NedFlanders posted:

this sounds like a child who hates his parents for making him clean his room and not letting him stay up all night

it's not fair. kid just wanted to eat an entire bucket of ice cream and his SO CALLED loving parents are punishing him by giving him nausea and making him throw up all over the floor. JERKS!

Unlike mortal parents, an omnipotent God could make ice cream that not only doesn't make you sick no matter how much you eat, but also improves your health. A better analogy would be parents who catch their child smoking a cigarette and force him to smoke the whole pack. (There's other ways to keep your kid from smoking that don't put him at risk for nicotine poisoning!)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

That people will actually see you wearing a shirt like this and want to come up and talk to you about religion.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pastor Perineum posted:

i dunno, as an atheist i'd try to do what i could to solve that health crisis, instead of praying. far more effective. something you "christian fucks" should try

thankfully most christians aren't that retarded with the exception of this "gently caress"

Here's the thing: we religious people pray when we feel like there's nothing else we can do to help. Most people can't help their loved ones by becoming doctors or nurses (or even politicians or insurers), and some things are out of the hands of even the most talented and dedicated medical professionals. Prayer is at least something, and while it may not help it also doesn't hurt.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Volume posted:

I personally believe that the whores at slut walk do deserve Rape. They dress like rape, act like rape, invite rape, promote rape, and incite rape.

(photo of two half-naked women at Slutwalk Chicago 2015)

Now tell me, do these women deserve Rape? Be HOnest.

I believe that God up in heaven up above is laughing, a laugh that is pointed towards the rape victims of slutwalk. He’s laughing at the homos dying of aids, laughing at Muslims killing each other. He’s laughing at all the ungodly fat people dying. They have chosen themselves before a holy God. They have chosen their desires before a God who wanted them. Wisdom cried out, but they refused reproof. The earth is his foot stool, and as he rests his feet I can hear him laughing with the Angels, and with the saints at your rape.

Now a woman who is walking down the street naked, should she be raped?…no! But she is displaying her body as an object for anyone to see. Once a man sees it, he wants it so bad sometimes he thinks consent isn’t necessary. He gets drunk on what his eyes have taken in. As a Christian, I don’t really believe in consent in the traditional way. I have never needed to ask for consent because I’m waiting till marriage as per Hebrews 13:4, Deut. 22, and 1 Cor 6:9. Did I mention not getting consent is fun, because I’m not begging or pleading any women to please give me their bodies.

I’m pleasantly content with God, my life, and waiting for that perfect someone to come into my life. Also, why do I need to ask my wife all the time for sex? It should be understood how things will be taking place. The feminists want to make it seem that they have full control over the relationship through sex or their supposed consent, but the Bible says it’s over mutual consent through marriage.

As a Christian, I’ve never kissed, had sex, gotten drunk, high, suicidal, sexted, or divorced. Now think about how high my expectations may be for the mother of my children. The woman who will have to hold my counsel in her heart. The Proverbs 31 woman is one that all men seek, but few are willing to deny selfish desires in this life for. In middle school I decided to wait to kiss till I was married. Because I want a woman who herself said in her heart, “I love you, and I will prepare for you till we meet and get married.”

He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Why do atheists celebrate Christmas and Easter since both of these holidays are to honor the Christian "Jesus"?

Because they want to have fun with their friends and loved ones?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Andro Dunos posted:

Also I don't know any atheists or non-Christians who "celebrate" Easter, unless they mean eating the candy.

My atheist mother loves and celebrates all the secular aspects of Easter - the eggs and the chocolate and the bunnies and the pastels. I didn't know that Jesus had anything to do with Easter until I was about eight years old.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I remember this. This was an episode of "Wife Swap," a reality show where two women from contrasting families would switch places with each other; this mom is an Evangelical who was placed in a houseful of neo-Pagans while the neo-Pagan mom went to live with her own family. IIRC all the people in the neo-Pagan family were super-nice, but the Evangelical mom couldn't handle having to live by their rules.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think that lady assumed she'd just tell the neo-Pagans about Jesus and BAM! they'd say the Sinner's Prayer and convert. Evangelicals often think that the truth of the Gospel is so self-evident that the only reason more people don't embrace it is because they've simply never heard it. (That's why you have adult Americans in Chick Tracts who express surprise at concepts like "Jesus died for our sins" or "Christians go to Heaven after they die" or "Hell is a horrible place and not a never-ending party." "Why didn't someone tell me this before?" they ask.) Part of the reason she's so frustrated at the "dark-sided" family is because they heard the Gospel and rejected it. Again, the Gospel is self-evident, so the only reason to not accept it once you've heard it is because you've willingly chosen to be evil and wrong! :razz:

(There's no real excuse for her taking money from people she believed to be evil and spending it on herself, though.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Heliand (the source of the Warlord Jesus meme) is interesting because it tiptoes around Jesus' pacifism. IIRC the text does emphasize that Jesus could have killed anyone He wanted with His divine powers and that His disciples were willing to kill in His defense, but it can't get around the fact that Jesus didn't kill anybody. Reconciling a different culture's narrative with one's own cultural values is just one of the challenges the Heliand's author faced in translating the Gospel for a Saxon audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Volume posted:

The left is always stealing Christianity's symbols, concepts, and language and reinventing them under their own banner--for example, the rainbow, stolen by the homosexuals.

Case in point: The phrase "politically correct." Yes, ironically, it too was stolen from us.

The alleged politically correct are neither biblically nor politically correct. One cannot be truly politically correct without being biblically correct. Politics cannot be severed from religion anymore than morality can be severed from legislation. One's political persuasion is a reflection of his morality (or, more often than not, his immorality) and one's morals determines his religion. Thus, applied politics is applied religion and applied religion is applied politics.

It is therefore imperative that we get our religion correct that we might get our politics correct

Christianity = Stalinist doctrine, An Odd Post

• Locked thread