Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Problem description: I have severe interference from other wifi signals in the apartments adjacent to mine, so i'm trying to extend the range of my houses wifi. I have two routers- the Ubee Ddw365 modem/router combo I got from TWC, and a Linksys WRT160Nv3 that I flashed DD-WRT onto. Right now I have them both in the physical locations I want- one in one end of the apartment, and one in another, connected lan-to-lan with a Cat 5e cable. Currently I have DHCP off and a static ip on the Linksys, and they are working as a cascade just fine, but they are both transmitting their own wifi signals- A and B. What I want is to just set them up as a single wifi signal A, and the household devices connect whatever device has the stronger signal. Is this possible, utilizing the ethernet connection, or am I completely off track?

Attempted fixes: Tried analyzing the wifi environment in my apartment, to see if changing the channels would make a difference, but i'm getting some pretty major signal overlap no matter which channel I choose. I looked into setting the Linksys up as a repeater or bridge, but that doesn't look like it would do the trick as those only work through wireless, and I already have them connected via ethernet. If I set them up that way, I'm afraid I wouldn't really be able to use it because of the aforementioned interference.

Recent changes: Moved the devices around the apartment until I get a good signal from one or the other in the whole apartment.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit systems in several laptops and desktop, as well as a PS3.

System specs: Ubee Ddw365/Linksys WRT160Nv3

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
If you set them up with the same SSID and password (and use channels at least 3 apart) I think this should work how you expect, though honestly it seems like setting up a second wireless router isn't going to help your situation. Instead, a single better-quality router would both give you better performance and let you use the uncongested 5Ghz WiFi band.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Yeah, when I get a little bit of spending money i'll spring for a better quality router- or move.

Thank you very much for the advice!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Thank God for this Thread.

• Locked thread