Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Serious question:
They look quite nice.
To explain lots of games since the start of the 3d era use a bunch of smaller semi transparent images or short animations and move them around to show a explosion or something such as:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCdUmn0m3KE

Lately I've seen more use of big single file animations that don't move being used as well in the middle and they look quite nice in combination with the aforementioned volumetric particle effects. such aaaaas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXdhsV60Xkk

These have been used since before 3d games were around in plenty of 2d games
So why have they started doing this now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
i have no idea what this thread is about

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
It's probably because they look like butt compared to 3D effects that are properly done, and they run poorly in comparison, which is impressive.

Each transparent image you're rendering stacked takes more resources to render.

Using one in the center seems to be fine, though.

otoh to get a realistic explosion they're going to have to model what's going on in the middle anyway

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 8, 2015

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

They look like rear end blood, OP.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GodDAMMIT how am I going to make a hit webcomic if games don't have sprites in them anymore jesus cumshitting meagfuck ultratitty republican george bush tumblr christ

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

FactsAreUseless posted:

GodDAMMIT how am I going to make a hit webcomic if games don't have sprites in them anymore jesus cumshitting meagfuck ultratitty republican george bush tumblr christ

If you're not reusing the same sprites from popular old games that people have been using for decades now, you're doing your webcomic wrong.

The most effort you should be doing is recoloring a few pixels black to make a badass original character that's so cool and dark as gently caress.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
i unironically enjoy technical graphicschat but i have no idea what the gently caress the op is saying

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mung Dynasty posted:

i unironically enjoy technical graphicschat but i have no idea what the gently caress the op is saying
I ran it through Google Translate and got the following: "To have being a stupid piece of poo poo, me, the OP, are am."

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

Video game explosions looked like this:

Flat animation

Then they looked like this:

Volumetric but less fancy animation

Now they look like this:

Both types together

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
Sprites do not look good 3D.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o0Nuq71gI4

this smoke is sick

i was trying to find a video where they were demoing new explosions and shrapnel methods but i couldn't

imo the best way to handle this kind of thing is to use good technology for stuff the player can look at closely and janky stuff for far away, like, nobody's gonna notice if a smoke cloud in the distance is 1/50th of the quality of one next to you unless it's really blocky

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Flex is good, physx is good

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Flex is good, physx is good

To bad my card isn't Nvidia. :(

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Flannelette posted:

Video game explosions looked like this:

Flat animation

Then they looked like this:

Volumetric but less fancy animation

Now they look like this:

Both types together

okay so whats the problem

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
keeping things at the right pace for hardware is hard for devs to do

bethesda games aim too low and can't use newer features, oblivion can barely use dualcore and even their newest stuff is just dx9 with the barest multicore features

crysis is the opposite direction, where they tried too hard and made something that couldn't work well on the current technology

the king of waste is tressfx though, tressfx will cost you 30+ fps and it doesn't look that good

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

Doctor Goat posted:

the king of waste is tressfx though, tressfx will cost you 30+ fps and it doesn't look that good

It was just unoptimized, version 2 runs better and V3 is coming out this year.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Lately I've noticed games using FoV stuff, but it's usually very badly optimized and doesn't look good IMO. It's an interesting concept but it just seems to get in the way of gameplay and performance.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
oh yeah, i talked to a crytek dev about that. he wouldn't tell me whether or not they were gonna use it

do you have any benchmarks or anything

Silver Striker posted:

Lately I've noticed games using FoV stuff, but it's usually very badly optimized and doesn't look good IMO. It's an interesting concept but it just seems to get in the way of gameplay and performance.

do you mean DoF

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Yeah I meant DoF, my bad. I noticed it in Metro 2033 where it would easily knock like 20-30fps off my performance while just adding an annoying graphic feature.

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

Doctor Goat posted:

oh yeah, i talked to a crytek dev about that. he wouldn't tell me whether or not they were gonna use it

do you have any benchmarks or anything

do you mean DoF

Well V2 was used for the XBO/PS4 Tomb Raider port, and it ran very well considering the hardware, there aren't any PC games with V2 though.V3 is going to be at the GDC, the new Deus Ex and Tomb Raider games will use it.

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/augmented-hair-in-deus-ex-universe-projects-tressfx-30-presented-by-amd

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Mung Dynasty posted:

okay so whats the problem

sadbrains imo

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Congradulations on your magic cake!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Wormskull posted:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Wormskull posted:

poo poo better be buttercreme.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
Developers built particle engines which were controlled by simple scripts. This dramatically improved efficiency since the team no longer needed to get a programmer and an artist to create every single effect. Making sprite-based particles is quite time-consuming.

Valve actually talks about this in the developer commentary for Half-Life 2: Episode Two. I couldn't find any videos of the commentary, so here's the relevant extracts.

This Vortal Coil (map ep2_outland_04) - Node 15

Our Mutual Friend (map ep2_outland_11a) - Node 2

Under the Radar (map ep2_outland_10a) - Node 3

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ok that makes sense thanks

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Doctor Goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o0Nuq71gI4

this smoke is sick

i was trying to find a video where they were demoing new explosions and shrapnel methods but i couldn't

imo the best way to handle this kind of thing is to use good technology for stuff the player can look at closely and janky stuff for far away, like, nobody's gonna notice if a smoke cloud in the distance is 1/50th of the quality of one next to you unless it's really blocky

super milk beam needs to be a game

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

super milk beam needs to be a game
this but piss

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
daaaamn

that is a flat texture

i had never heard of parallax occlusion mapping until now

this is someone using it in minecraft

i dont know what this is!!!!

:pcgaming:

TECHNOLOGY

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

We use that in some of the mapping software we tinker with for landscape simulation. I have no idea how it works in the programs that use it beyond transparency but it's way better than the lovely stuff ESRI ships with its ArcScene package.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i wonder how hosed up it'd be if i used that shader effect on each frame of a SNES emulator

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Doctor Goat posted:

daaaamn

that is a flat texture

i had never heard of parallax occlusion mapping until now

this is someone using it in minecraft

i dont know what this is!!!!

:pcgaming:

TECHNOLOGY

THat looks like poo poo!!!!

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
(MAkes a bunch of bumps randomly shoot out of a flat texture ) Technology motherbitches!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
it's not random bumps, it's taking a texture of river rocks or something and making it not a flat skyrim looking texture

what are some cool effects you like, sir aids

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

zen death robot posted:

Youre poo poo looks like rocks, lol

Maybe if people sent Sir AIDS some money he could buy some gourmet food so that doesn't happen is my suggestion

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Maybe if people sent Sir AIDS some money he could buy some gourmet food so that doesn't happen is my suggestion

This

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
Please send me money so I can buy food and a gaming rig.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
oblivion and skyrim do parallax its just not retarded like in those pics and used sparingly. oblivion has it on the walls in the prison you start in i think

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
skyrim uses parallax sometimes but what i'm talking about is when they dont bother to do that and just use a uniform texture. those pics aren't really me going "wow this is the perfect example" it's more me being surprised by how much they're getting out of a texture.

anything that's on the ground in skyrim is manually placed, and the roads look like they're just painted on textures. the engine cannot handle parallaxing that's not on walls

stuff like the platform on the right and the arrow slits in guard walls are good examples of them not able to do anything but put in a flat texture without breaking stuff

this is also an example of Bad

skyrim does a lot to try to get around how many limitations their engine has though and i have to give them some respect for managing to get so much out of an engine that can barely handle the concept of multiple cores

Oblivion doesn't even have anything like parallax, the most it gets is primitive bump mapping like i think doom 3 has

edit:

this is it being used in skyrim and i feel like it's gaining definition but losing quality, and everything looks darker because it's having to run so many more shadows which is probably also bogging the framerate down

i don't remember if this wall is a flat texture or not

i am spending too much time thinking about graphics effects + technology tricks

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
why are you denying that oblivion has parallax mapping Doctor Goat

• Locked thread