Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bert Fegg
Sep 3, 2006

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

do girls message guys on these or is it all the other way around

Coming at it from the other side, as a not-totally-disgusting older guy I get a shitload of messages from fat old ladies. Once the prospects start to drop off they'll start messaging.

Like I've said before though, it's that 5% that make it worthwhile.

Plus younger women with older guy fixations. Gold, Jerry, gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Fegg
Sep 3, 2006

I did try a little experiment recently for a couple of months - I went radically honest in my profile. Talked about enjoying video games, MST3K, SF, etc etc and just generally acknowledged a lot more of reality than is a good idea. Results were about what you'd expect. Messages from ugly grannies didn't drop off much, but the primo results went into a radical dive. To be fair, labeling yourself as a manchild is never going to be a selling point for a guy, but it's not offset by demonstrating that you're a competent adult as well.

Women can get away with that kind of thing. As a guy you have to generate a value proposition. Creating an image as a functional normal is more important than truth. They can learn about the real you as things go along. That being said, as a disclaimer I did start talking to one woman who would be a great match, and who is even attractive. It's just a drat shame that she lives thousands of miles away. YMMV.

edit - Switched the profile back to Really Normal Guy, Honestly about two hours ago. Already got favourited twice :toot:.

Bert Fegg fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 10, 2015

Bert Fegg
Sep 3, 2006

yung jew posted:

thanks for confirming what no one doubted

You tell me the stove is hot I guarantee I'm going to have burned fingers in a few minutes.

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh wow...96% match. My goodness, we have a ton in common. Our profiles are almost written for each other.
Sends polite message.
Next day she views your profile.
No response.
gently caress you whore.

They don't want good matches. They want that romance novel guy.

Bert Fegg
Sep 3, 2006

Fonzarelli posted:

whoa nelly

As your attorney I advise you that this is a perfectly sensible thing for you to do as a man, and there are no potential downsides at all.

Bert Fegg
Sep 3, 2006

I honestly think it's just plain rude to be messaging way younger women if they don't have you included in their preference range.

If they do, welp, party on I guess. Edit - although including above 40 usually means "your flabby rear end had better be in the money".

Also I am a pure magnet for Philippino and Ukrainian visa-seeking 30 year olds. It's at least fun to look at their pictures.

Bert Fegg fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 11, 2015

• Locked thread