Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I faced them once and spoke to another guy who used them, and they just don't seem to do it - yeah they are a longer more powerful ranged shot, but they are to slow, and 2 extra armour seems to be less useful than the +2 accuracy penalty for shooting at skimmers.

The Ravagers on the other hand make a good defensive AA unit with more shots than the Reaper.

Fake Edit - I'm writing up my little Invasion report, should be up soon TM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So, Time for my Invasion 2015 report! I was playing with a Scourge list, making me the fast parasite aliens.

Game 1 - vs The Resistance.

This was to be my first ever game against the Resistance - and my heart sunk a little when my opponent put three Cyclones (think Apache Helicopters) onto the table. Then came the Zukov’s, Drills and freeriders.
We were playing a objective mission, and I was able to quickly get troops into four of the five buildings, and get my forces down - then I opened fire at one of his drills with six hunters and two shots from their despoiler dropship. Nothing, Not one thing except a whole bunch of ones. out came the free-riders and in come the Cyclones and there went the match - not bad on VP’s - only a difference of 1 - but I was out for a 15-5 loss on killpoints!

Lessons Learned - Barrage templates and huge masses of tanks are not good things. Also freeriders have sticky bombs that make a mess of tanks

Game 2 vs the UCM

My other army, so at least I knew the units here. the mission was 2VP for each held quarter of the table. My opponent moved up in his quarter while I took the other three lightly - only his infantry pushed out to oppose me.
I sacrificed my Reavers to draw off some of the AA fire from his six Rapiers, then charged in my Desalator and fired its weapon - I hit 9 units, but rolled 2s for ALL my damage! Things were looking bad as his longer ranged weapons picked off some of my units.
I won the initiative on turn 3 and immediately fired the Desalator once more - this time I was able to gut the core of his army (about six Rapier/Sabre kills IIRC) This combined with my killing of his Eagle swung the game back from the brink of defeat.
Unfortunately it was not to be - losses were high on both sides, but I underestimated the speed of his light dropships and abandoned my home quarter bar some infantry - he nipped in and took the game - 16-4 once kill points had been added up.

Lessons Learned - Never assume the game is over until its over

Game 3 vs the Shaltari

My first game against the Shaltari, and I was never really in this one - three focal points were up for grabs and I charged my forces in - I once again focus fired my Hunters and heavy dropship on one of his walkers, only to do 1 point of damage - the return fire wrecked my ground forces and left me with no way to contest the focal point - the Commander in his Doom Squid was once more thrown into the maw of AA fire and managed to get some kills before being taken out - my opponent was scared by this but it was not enough to prevent a 17-3 defeat.

Lessons Learned - Basically how the Shaltari fight, at least now I have faced off against all the races. Also my Hunters got a stern talking to and a promise that they would be implanted into razorworms if their performance didn’t improve.

Game 4 vs the Scourge

Day two and refreshed after a better nights sleep and hyped up after a 50 minute journey had turned into a three hour odyssey (I arrived at the table with 15 mins to spare, rather than having an hour to kill), I was facing the only Woman in the competition, and while we were both using scourge, her army was heavy on walkers and harbingers to my more classic Grav tank build.
This was going to be interesting to see if my theory that Grav tanks are better payed off.
The mission was Bunker assault, and some poor Hawk staffer had painted about 150 of the things!
I deployed my forces on turn one, while she had to wait until turn two - this allowed my Hunters to steal the march on them and get off a volley of fire that took down half of them, the dropship dealt with another one before I won the intuitive the next turn and finished the job - not a single Stalker was able to fire! My two Reaver Gunships dealt with the Annihilator in short order.
This destroyed her anti-tank capability, and pretty much won me the match there and then.
The other highlights were a squad of warriors desperately trying to reach the safety of a bunker and a Destroyer on Destroyer CQB that started on turn 3 and finished on turn 6 - Destroyers do not die easy!
16-4 to me.

Lessons Learned - Stalkers just don’t seem to cut the mustard, they lack the speed and I was able to smash them up with no losses.

Game 5 vs the Scourge

Another mirror match, this time against a more conventional army with Slayer heavy tanks in place of my massed Hunters. This was a take and hold mission - four objectives and a focal point. The objective were both positioned so we could claim 2 buildings each on the first turn. So I knew exactly what I had to do.
My opponent did the odd thing of putting ALL his infantry into one large building with an objective, so in went my Hunters and their dropship. one volley later and half the building was in ruins - and it was hardened (AV8 instead of AV6). He scurried his Destroyers over to the normal sized objective building while I searched in both of mine. The second turn the building came down and took out a Slayer along with 6 bases of warriors! I got one of my objectives off the board, and he got a measure of revenge on my hunters with his own units.
Turn 3 saw my Desolator, Despoiler and the remaining Hunters open up on the second building, and down it went along with any chance he had of winning. I did feel a bit mean, but it was a strategy that worked!
My last warrior group took their sweet time finding the last objective, and I only got it because I used a card to activate them before my opponents commander could come to blow them up. After that the battle became a scrap over the focus point - I had two destroyers in a building in range, and the last turn saw every flyer he had open up on it - the Desolator rolled a 1 and the game ended with only 1HP left on the building! The points value of the Destroyers got me the focal point and a 6-1 victory - 14-6 with no extra VP’s for me as I’d sacrificed most of my units to win the game!

Lessons Learned - Have a plan and stick with it - he didn’t get what I was planning until it was to late - I moseyed my Desolator up the middle saying “so it can react” - covering the fact it’s mission was always to bring down that second objective building.
Also apparently Reavers get 2 shots, not the one I’d been using this entire tournament! I feel like an idiot! I’ve been playing Scourge with 50% efficient AA since I started the game!

Final placing - 28th out of 39! about where I expected to be!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Redeployment of ground units is rarer due to the loss of a round shooting - you really never want your AA to not be able to shoot, and as long as something is in range of your anti-armour, your often better off engaging them. Troops tend to redeploy like anything though - get that objective, abandon that building, take that focal point - Infantry are the least glamorous but most useful unit.

That said,turn 6 of a focal point mission will see people jumping into transports like anything - after annihilating my opponent in a hour and a half of a 2.5 hour slot, I started watching the game next to me, where there was next to no shooting on turn 6 as both sides used their drop ships to cram as many units into the 6" around the focal point as possible!

Command cards are key - sure, there are going to be times when you are looking at a hand of CQB cards and all your infantry are dead, but then there are the times when you play a card that allows you to re-roll initiative with a higher command value. Or you move your troops those few extra inches that means your opponents units who were just safe are now in range of all your MBT's. Or the time you have the objective but your drop ship was shot down - CALL FOR EXTRACTION! look who just got the objective off the field and won the game!
I think a lot of the videos have low CV commanders, and are not drawing enough cards to get the good ones.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Leo Showers posted:

I really want to use the AH-16 Cyclones I have, conversely, I'd like to be able to use a commander with the command deck as well.

I went up against a list with four Cyclones at Invasion. I never stood a chance - those barrage weapons just hurt!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

All good changes, the +2AC bonus to the older gunships means they may well be useful now - and they are cheaper. UCM gets another small boost as well. Shaltari get a small but needed nerf.
The PHR's cheaper slow rear end dropships are a good idea as well.

basically good changes all around. the increase in points for destroyers is a small hurt, but they are awesome, so I can't really complain.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Recoome posted:

Don't allow the dropship which carries the infantry APC's to get shot down before they disembark

Stares at Ugleb.

"To a ten year old."

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Are the refrigerators for UCM still worth running?

Hell yes, they are not a must take, but the drones are fantastic for keeping your opponent on their toes - you can rush them into AA before your other aircraft - you opponent is then given the choice of firing on them, using up their AA fire for this turn, or letting them come in and hoping they don't wipe out the AA unit, allowing them to fire at a more juicy target.
Just treat the drones as what they are - expendable thorns in the enemies side. But make sure you protect your fridge - losing it can hurt.

Sulecrist posted:

Edit: If I were to pick up a blister of Raven Type As, Raven Type Bs, or Falcons, just to paint, which of the three would be the easiest to fit into a fledging starter-box-based UCM force if I end up going that route?

You'd want Ravan A's - if you play a bit you realize that the APC/Condor option is too slow and to unwieldy. Most people at Invasion were running at least two infantry units in light dropships, as its faster and much more flexable. and UCM infantry is so bad they will die if attacked in CQB by most other races, so you want to be able to spread yourself around.

The B's are only useful if you want Longbows or Wolverines (you will) and the Eagles have just gotten a nice boost. They were to expense and fragile before, now they are cheaper and harder to hit!

When I get paid I'm picking up the Oppressor, the Phoenix and some Archangels, I really want to try a air heavy force for the UCM now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Crossposting! We don't have enough model photos!

A Harbinger class Dropship with three magnetized Ravagers.

Here they are on their own, to aid counting.

The UCM have not been forgotten though, with four new Ravans - two are my black Ravens.

These are the spec op's Pretorians that go in them.

Finally, here we have some Woverines, the guns are interchangable, as after two layers of varnish they have a good fit.

Next month/Oath year, something a little more sane!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

I DON'T HAVE ROOM FOR ANOTHER SPACESHIP GAME drat YOU

<clutches copy of Star Wars Armada>

This is a low atmo support fleet though, thats a different niche......

I keep telling myself....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

signalnoise posted:

OK I am going for a Skynet vibe with my PHR guys. Is this too simple a scheme to use on an entire army?

I'd think about picking out the radiator panels in a darker colour, and maybe the fans on the engines, but apart from that, it looks good!

Ugleb posted:

I think the take home here is that while DzC can certainly do the 'mass battle' thing, it probably isn't the go-to game size. The next time we do a Battle sized game I'm thinking we might go with 2000 points. That is 500 more than the tournament standard but still low enough that you can't just take everything and it should keep the game from slowing down.

Yeah, the extra 2 foot of board threw us, and we spent a lot of turn 1 trying to figure out where to place out units.

Then our shooting was terrible - we have 6 sabres and 4 Ares fire at each other, the next result was one dead Sabre! At least my new Phoenix was awesome, it didn't take any fire but it can put out some nice damage!
We also used a lot of fast movers, and I think the UCM's Seraphim is actually under rated - the close fire can pick off a unit quite easily, and the Sledgehammers been boosted to Demoliser D3+3, meaning a hit on 2+, then enough energy to get a 2+ damage roll means your doing 4-12 points of damage to a building - a couple of them will take down most buildings using the tournament building DP of 10/20/30. (Which is our default now, so as not to get into bad habits of thinking buildings are harder than they are.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bob Smith posted:

I was misinformed then - when the people I was talking to about the game were explaining how to get started they said everything starts in a transport and you could only take units without aircraft if you were defending.

I take it if I buy some of the artillery pieces they probably don't need airlifting in either?

At invasion this year I actually mentioned to Hawk Dave that I feel a little bad about driving the Kodiack on.

His reply was "Don't - Always be driving on."

Also, when you get a Ferrium, you don't want to be paying for an Albatross to move a unit that will spend all its time sitting around pumping out drones.

Bistromatic posted:

The rules for Longbows (the UCM artillery) specify that transports are compulsory for them since they can't move on their own at all.

I've seen some discussion about waiving the dropship requirement if dropships aren't allowed by the scenario and just using them as stationary defenses basically but that'd be a house rule.

Not 100% true - if you are playing a scenario that allows direct deployment, then you don't need the dropships - however, you'd need to know this ahead of time.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, its one of those things, once you get going its simple - once the armour table clicks, it'll get a LOT quicker.

I just ordered some mortars, an Eagle, some Katana's and some longbows. The latter to qualify for free postage - basically making them free. I'm wanting to go to Autumn Invasion, and this time represent a good air wing UCM.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

frest posted:

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a PHR army. I have concerns however about the quality of the plastic sculpts in the starter set.

I have the option to go with the older resin + metal set if needs must, but I'm having a hard time finding side-by-side comparison images of the sculpts. Are the new immortals + walkers so bad?

You won't see that much difference on the walkers, but the plastic infantry are basically blobs.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, so I just booked Ugleb and I's Autumn Invasion tickets .

In February, we were able to drag Goonswarm (Maybe Dropgoons this time?) into last place in the team competition. (I died on the first day due to lack of sleep, Ugleb was using a list made up of stuff people got him for Xmas two months before.) Any other UK goons thinking about heading down to sunny Croyden this September? I'm planning on trying an air-cav UCM list, but I'm torn between gunships or fast movers - the former is more reliable, but the latter could help. So far, the Phoenix is a given. Ugleb and I need to get some practice games in!

For anyone who hasn't been to Invasion, its a great time - its a two day, five game non elimination tournament. plus there is the open day where you can see the upcoming releases, and scare Hawk Dave, the guy who made the game. (Okay, the latter is optional, but we were early, and he was putting the new commanders in the cabinet....)

last time, we got fed at lunch both days, (which was a surprise, but they are repeating this time.) and the gift pack included the new command cards, so the £30 ticket almost paid for itself.

TLDR - Go to invasion. Goons Need you.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

LordAba posted:

Just bought the 1.1 rules... is there anything I should know about the FAQs/errata before reading through the rules? I know the unit profiles had some updates (I play UCM) but are the main rules pretty much good in it?

No core rules have been changed in the errata, they've just changed points values and added a few unit specific rules (most of those are in the Reconquest: Phase 1 book.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Cool new thing detected from 4Ground, a 10mm power station. No idea what it costs but I do like it.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/4ground/10mm-urban-power-plant-power-lines-coming-4ground/#comment-216442

It got me thinking about Invasion and what Hawk Dave was saying last time about trying to up their game with terrain a bit for tournaments. Wonder if we might see a bit more variety in the tables this time around?

Yeah, I want that, if only for the fences.

I've been spending a bit of time pimping out my DZ table - trees, wreaked cars, overgrown raised beds. I've been using the ruins set for a year or so now, but its time to start pushing the envelope. I'll take some shots of Ugleb and I's next game.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Hey thread, I'd appreciate some advice on how to expand the UCM starter. I've got that - 3x Sabres, 3x Rapiers, 2x Bears, 6x infantry, 3x dropships - and I have a few Epic 40k Marauder bombers that I think would proxy nicely for some UCM fast movers.

So where do I go from here? I was thinking: Kodiak, then some Wolverines + Ravens, then some filler tanks & AA (Sabres & Rapiers, plus more Condors for em). I'd love to have some of the shinier toys (falcons, the Ferrum drone thingies, howitzers, maybe some exotics) but I feel like I should fill out a basic core before I grab shinies.

So I'd appreciate a few pieces of advice. First, am I missing anything in terms of the basic stuff that UCM armies want all the time? Second, how should I prioritize expanding? Does Kodiak -> Wolverines -> basic tanks sound about right? I'm trying to avoid the temptation of getting ALL THE THINGS ALL THE TIME. Third, which fast movers have you had more success with? Should I prosy the Marauders as Archangels or as Seraphim?

Kodiak is a good starting choice, and you can never go wrong with wolverines and scouts. - As a UCM player I'd also suggest a Ferrium - while not an auto-include it gets you scouts, AA and AT aircraft which fill all roles in the army - for a starting army, the doomfridge is a great way of filling gaps.
I'd also think about getting a gunship, a couple of Falcons or an Eagle - the UCM now have some of the best air units, and you can make your opponent pay for not having enough AA!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Thanks Grey, Ugleb. I'm glad I'm on the right track. It sounds like Kodiak, Wolverines, Ferrum are the next three things I should grab.

Between Falcons and the Eagle, how do you each of them? It feels like the Eagle would be a stand-off AT that's most useful if you can drop a building or two to open up lines of fire, while the Falcons can get farther up the board and be more flexible, particularly with their new dodge rules. Is that about right?

On the Wolverines, which configuration do you folks find works better? I liked the idea of the machineguns for more AA firepower, which would mean my AA is: 1 squad of 3 Rapiers, 1 squad of 4 Wolverines, and a Ferrum. It's a little light but I think at 1250 that's probably okay? The army'd be a touch over - 1255 pts - but I only play casually and can probably persuade my friend to spot me the 5 points. (Kodiak + Captain, Ferrum + Albatross, 3 Sabres, 3 Rapiers, 2 3-base Legionnaire squads, 2x Falcons, 4x Wolverines, 1x Seraphim)

Don't waste points on the Albatross, I was talking with Dave (the designer) at invasion, and his reply when I said I felt bad about driving it on was "Always be driving on" - You want to drive on, so you can plonk it back field, with those lovely drones spewing out from turn one.
For the wolverines, go for AA, you can never have enough small and mobile AA.
Your right on the Eagle/Falcon mix. Eagles hold back and destroy things at long range, while the Falcons move forward and hunt through the ruins (That your Seraphim is creating).

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Can it spit drones out if it is driving on, or just if it starts on the table (direct deployed)? I forget, you certainly can't shoot if you drive on, but I guess this is a disembark? In which case can the drones shoot?

They can disembark, but not shoot. (Not that anything is in range on turn 1).

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Just Neptune's loaded with not-so-Immortals....

That was the start of turn 2. And you need to learn to not do that.

Also, cross posting from the oath thread.

These are N scale cars, smashed up, rusted and now they look suitably post apocalyptic.

Eagle, Ready to hunt.

The Longbows, Katana's and mortars.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

ZachAttack posted:

These look great, mind sharing your painting recipe? I got a bag of these cars I have just been littering around as is.

Nothing complex, I took some of them apart, broke them up and stuck them back together. Spray black, cover in GW typhus corrosion, drybrush with Risa Rust. Add static grass and clump foliage to taste.

It's quick and effective, and the cars are char at less than a fiver for fifty.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

The rulebook doesn't seem to explicitly say it, but can AA take reaction fire shots against interceptors moving to intercept a fast mover? If so, if the reaction shot destroys the interceptor does it lose its shot against the fast mover if the AA's intercept line intersected the interceptor before the interceptors point of attack?

Yes, you can shoot down interceptors before they can shoot down the attacking fast mover before it reaches its target, just like the interceptor can take out the fast mover before it hits IT's target.

Its the fast mover mini-game. it can get fun if both sides have two FM's....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ugleb and I had a game.

Pimp your boards people!

I'm going to go through all my Dropships and paint Vietnam names on them - The Phoenix will become "Puff The Magic Dragon".

His Nemesis had some friends.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'd actually skip the starter packs for now - everything in there is useful, but you have a few holes to fill.

First, as Ugleb said, you need a commander for both sides - that's the Kodiak and the Desolator (Plus the command cards.). You'll also want some Ravens/Intruders to replace the slow rear end Bear/Condor or Invader/Marauder combos. Running your troops to the objectives quickly is key, so these are pretty much must buys.
Exotic troops like Praetorians and Destroyers are also very useful - most Scourge lists run two Destroyer units in Intruders to get some fast, hard to kill killing power - although now you have the option of Eviscerators for some more close combat fire power. To use these, you'll also want some scouts - Wolverines for the UCM, Minders or Prowlers for the Scourge.

That should boot the killing power of your forces, give you some more toys to play with.
Here's what those lists would look like.

pre:
Standard Army
Clash: 986/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [986/1500 pts]
		Field Command [168 pts]
			Kodiak: Kodiak(Lieutenant) [168 pts]
		Armored Formation [308 pts]
			Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor [142 pts]
			Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
		Legionnaire Corps [160 pts]
			Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
			Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
		Expeditionary Group [350 pts]
			Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A, 2x Raven B [102 pts]
			Praetorians: 2x Praetorians, Raven A [124 pts]
			Praetorians: 2x Praetorians, Raven A [124 pts]
pre:
Standard Army
Clash: 1032/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1032/1500 pts]
		Oppressors [140 pts]
			Desolator: Desolator [140 pts]
		Vanguard [304 pts]
			Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder [146 pts]
			Reaper Squad: 3x Reaper, Marauder [158 pts]
		Warriors [188 pts]
			Warrior Horde: 2x Warriors, Intruder Alpha [94 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [400 pts]
			Destroyers: 2x Destroyers, Intruder Alpha [140 pts]
			Prowlers: 8x Prowler, 2x Intruder Beta [120 pts]

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

dexefiend posted:

I saw in a Beasts of War picture from Invasion (I think that is what it was called), there was a team called 'Goon Swarm.' Which of you guys went to that, and how was it?

That was Ugleb and I. I'll do a full write-up later, but Ugleb did well, 24th or something, while I was 41st (I ran an air heavy list, and came up against two separate PHR with 4 helios and 2 phobos. Those games did not end well.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Not So Mega-Invasion Report

As Ugleb mentioned, the Dropfleet starters are going to be very interchangeable – IIRC Dave said 26 combinations, 15 of which have rules.

So, onto my reports – I took the following list.

[size=150]6th Air Cav[/size]
Clash: 1495/1500 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [1495/1500 pts]
    • Field Command [365 pts]
      • Phoenix: Phoenix(Captain) [285 pts]
      • Falcon Squad: 2x Falcon [80 pts]
    • Armored Formation [388 pts]
      • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
      • Katana Squad: 6x Katana [222 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [245 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
      • Ferrum: Ferrum [165 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [80 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
    • Expeditionary Group [350 pts]
      • Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A, 2x Raven B [102 pts]
      • Praetorians: 2x Praetorians, Raven A [124 pts]
      • Praetorians: 2x Praetorians, Raven A [124 pts]
    • Air Wing [67 pts]
      • Archangel Squad: Archangel [67 pts]

This is an air heavy list, and the hope was to overwhelm the enemies AA, then destroy it. Then I would be able to rule the skies and rain down death. As long as I don't meet any AA heavy lists, I'll be ok. Lets see how that went!
The Archangel would turn out to be the star.

Game 1 - Targets of Opportunity

My Opponent was running PHR, so an army I'm used to fighting. The Nemisis was on the field, ready to cause some problems – unfortunately for him, his tail gun missed all but once the entire game!

Sorry for the blurry shot – it looked ok on my phone!
What followed was a very odd and tense game – most shots went into the buildings, with most people having to abandon the large 30HP buildings right before they came crashing down. We had a Siren vs Praetorian CQB, but most of it was trying to stop the enemy from getting an objective – we were both very successful at that. Coupled with poor search rolls for both of us, and we found two objectives each. We both got the second one off the board in turn 6.
A 10-10 Draw, with killpoints being about 400 for him, 250 for me. A very strategic game with no shots being wasted off objectives for the first few turns. A nice start and better than my 18-2 crushing defeat last time!

Archangel Tally – Turned up turn 1, shot down turn on trying to snipe a dropship full of sirens. (A worthwhile gamble.)

Game 2: Ground Control

This was almost a mirror UCM list – he'd traded down his commander to a level 3, and gone without Praetorians, and got two archangels and four falcons to my two – He also had no Ferrium. He came on aggressively, and his Phoenix was faced with a wall of drones. He wins initiative on turn 2.

He flies all 16” through them, into the guns of my wolverine – meaning he can't fire either! His Falcons come in on my rapiers, and in some stunning shooting combined with the shots from my Phoenix, he loses them all! I then activate my drones, who come back behind the Phoenix and blow it from the sky!
After that, it was just mopping up – The Archangel takes out a couple of light dropships and both of his Archangels.
It ended up 18-2 after kill-points, and I shot up to table 4. I then got worried, and that's FAR to far up for someone of my skill level.

Archangel tally – 2 Light Dropships, 2 Fast Movers.

Game 3 - Secure the Flanks

Remember when I said I'd be fine if I didn't meet any AA heavy lists – well this PHR had four Helios and Two Phobos – as well as two bloody Medusas and two lots of Valkyries.
Things go as you would expect – I push my Katana's towards one focal point, and my commander towards the other, while the infantry go into the buildings looking for objectives.

I get mine out quickly, but the centre one can't be found before the building fills with Valkryies – my praetorians kill the first wave, but the second wave comes with Medusa support, and my brave guys go down. My commander is to far forwards and gets taken out, meaning I lose both focal points as he advanced gyros his Nemisis twice to get it and a whole load of hurt into the far focal point.
Somehow, those legionnaires in the building at the front of the above image survive, but I've lost a lot of guys. The Archangel spends its time bringing down another three light dropships.

17-3 at the end, but I knew this one would be hard – to far up the rankings and a kryptonite army for mine. I gave it my best though.

Archangel tally – 5 Light Dropships, 2 Fast Movers.

Game 4: Bunker Assault

My second ever game against Shaltari, and my favourite game of the weekend. My duel Praetorians have me something of an edge in the bunkers, but my opponent had a Gareal – so a flamer, as well as three Caymans and a firedrake.
I grabbed the home bunker and set some infantry up for the long haul (posters, carpet, HBO.) while the praetorians got the far bunker on his side. Unfortunately for me, he could get LOS on my Katana's from turn 1 (there was no good place to hide them) and I lost all of them before the game was over – I tried to reach the far point, but there were to many gaps for Caymans to fire down.

I stuck to the plan though, and forced him to reaction fire against all my air – I got some Praetorians and some legionnaires into my right bunker, but lost base – two squads of braves piled in and brutal CQB started, but my Praetorians refused to die. (the legionnaires agreed to die quite readily.) He was able to get enough units in in the last turn to secure it though.

The Archangel had already taken out his smallest gate, then it popped two medium gates and half killed his Firedrake– every time I called it in, I rolled a six, and the last run on the Firedrake came with the Ace in the Making card – my opponants comment was “I'm pretty drat sure he's already an Ace.”
The Pheonix did its job as well – taking the central point and killing two Caymans in a turn with a combination of rockets and chain guns.

In the end though, it was a narrow loss – 11-9, but I got 700 kill points to his 400, so I made him pay for it!

Special mention to that tail Rapier – he got HIT 10 times, and only went down when my opponent sent both a Cayman and the Firedrake after him.

Archangel tally – 6 Light Dropships, 2 Medium gates, 2 Fast Movers. My eternal love.

Game 5: Military Complex

Oh look, this is another PHR list with four Helios and two Phobos, two Medusas and two lots of Valkyries. And its Edchopp from Orbital Bombardment. Oh, and the military complex gives the buildings armour 8, making my Katana demo-brick a lot less effective.

Things started badly, I placed my Phoenix out of range of his Helios with some drones ready to move in and cause some problems – and he countermeasure hacks me, then unloads with everything he has and take 8 of 9 HP off me! I have to fall back and can't do much against the fast moving mass firing Helios – the Falcons go down turn 3 as being a 5+ to hit doesn't help you when so many dice are coming your way!

Add to this the fact that my rolling for objectives is rubbish this game – I get four of the five objective buildings, but can't find anything before he is either blasting them with his gun line or swarming them with Valkyries – CQB 2 means they murder the legionaries and with medusa support they can take on the Praetorians – although the squad he does take on needs his Medusa to enter the building. The central group find an objective, but get crushed by falling masonry, but no one wants to risk getting into the building with only 2HP left.

Oh yeah, the Phoenix goes down – he got Valkyries into my back objective, forcing me to risk my commander to try and blast them out. I do get an objective off from the right hand centre building – but its chased off by Helios units and is tense – then he jumps his Valkyries to a medusa and hands off the objective from by back field building, that medusa moves forwards, hands it off to the other on in the building. The next turn, it moves forwards while the medusa searches and finds the other objective (on a 6 on the first turn of course) then hands both objectives to the other medusa who moves off the board.

It ends up 6-2 to him, and 17-3 when the kill points are counted up – I don't think I made any really stupid mistakes, but I think I burned all my luck in game 4. The Archangel picked off 4 light dropships before dying going for the medium.

Archangel tally – 10 Light Drop-ships, 2 Medium gates, 2 Fast Movers. My eternal love.

Good game all around, I knew the Air Cav was a risk, but getting two AA heavy PHR lists was bad luck – I'm not one to cry about it, but of all the other lists I saw there, these were the worst two I saw on any table near me for my list. Figures!

I still came out with more points than last time though, so its a much better showing!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Not a viking posted:

The scourge ships look like a cross between a squid, a shark and a whale. Awesome.

The Cad files for one scourge ship is apparently the same size as the files for the UCM.
Dave said it was a very frustrating task, as it took thirty seconds to process after very small change.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Prefect Six posted:

Anyone here have any more info on the whole Hawk vs. KR deal?

I love KR foam/cases and I love DZC, so it sure would be nice if they get it sorted out.

Having met the bosses of both companies, they are very chilled people, I have a hard time thinking there is anything more than confusion going on here.

But yes, more KR cases for the newer stuff would be amazing!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Have a model filled cross post!

quote:

Oath Complete!

Vampires

Marauder Dropships.

Screamer (and whats left of George.)

Harbinger class dropship.

Raider Class dropship.

Bus and Bear.

t[img]http://i.imgur.com/Nbphk68.jpg[/timg]
The Hazard Suits and Flack infantry. Really pleased with how these have come out.

And, as an aside, here is a Marauder I painted a couple of years ago for the oath thread. I really think I've improved since then! I'm shifting the colour scheme a little, but I'm kinda stuck with what I started with!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

I like the various people on various forums grumbling cuz "this kickstarter is a mess, these stretch goals are dumb, how could they not have planned this better" as if Hawk should've realized they'd exceed their target goal by 450% in less than 48 hours.

It reminds me of when another game kickstarter ended with 70,000 GBP with a 35,000 GBP goal and some people were calling the kickstarter a failure and maybe the company should go back to the drawing board and try again.

People are.... are not very bright, are they?

No, no they are not.

People will grumble no matter what. I think half of them are trolling.
Shame its only half.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

I've just got back from WARFARE in Reading (hey Dropzone goons, I probably spoke to you unawares as I hung around the DzC tables a lot and talked to everybody).

I'm wearing my goddamn avatars on my t-shirt!
Suresh, whY do I have to do to get recognised.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Here is my warfare report.

I thought I should use the blog I set up more.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

I'm surprised to see Minders! How are you finding them? I don't think I've ever seen them in action.

They are drat useful! In my opinion they are better than Prowlers - Yeah, they suffer a bit against PHR, needing 5's to damage things, but they are 4 separate targets that hit on a 2+. You can also get them 20 inches deployed on turn one!

Being able to add 8 extra AA shots and scouts to a unit for 8 points each is very useful!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wdarkk posted:

So right now I'm working on my first list, for Scourge. I really want to fit in an Annihilator, but it seems pretty tough to fit.

Any suggestions?

I ran this list at Warfare, it's a little light on AA, but I won three, drew one and lost one, so its a viable list.

pre:
Medusa Protocol
Clash: 1491/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1491/1500 pts]
		Oppressors [450 pts]
			Oppressor: Oppressor, Harbinger(Master, +Mini Arc Caster) [300 pts]
			Annihilator: Annihilator [150 pts]
		Vanguard [351 pts]
			Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder [146 pts]
			Ravagers: 3x Ravager, Harbinger(+Mini Arc Caster) [205 pts]
		Warriors [204 pts]
			Screamers: Screamer, Raider [110 pts]
		Warriors [94 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [196 pts]
			Minders: 4x Minder, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [196 pts]
			Minders: 4x Minder, Intruder Beta [56 pts]

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Huh, that looks good. I wish I could include my AA skimmers, since they're possibly the best models in the plastic kit, but having spares for other stuff (or if I ever do a 2500 point game) is nice.

You could swap the ravagers for reapers, you'd lose volume of fire for accuracy, and the loss of the harbinger also drops your shots. That said, they are cheaper, so you could sneak in some vampires.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, Praetorians are the spec ops. They are a nice CQB boost for the UCM's otherwise terrible infantry. (I've got, but not tried the new Mortars, Flack and Hazard teams yet, so they may swing things.)

You'll want four Ravens in the end - the bear/condor combo is a bit slow, and you want to be racing forwards, so 99% of people use the light troop dropships rather than the APC/Medium dropship.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

don't want to derail your cool post that I don't understand, but man General Wade looks cool as gently caress, is he any good?

Wade is a Famous Commander - which means he's not at all balanced, and should only really be used when both sides have a FC. That said, I've never played with/against one, so I can't help there.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Incy posted:

I think I will be using green shaltari. Although no guarantees, the test yaris I have painted look very underwhelming and I may be switching paint scheme.

So there is a chance of Dropgoons having three players this time?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Huh. That takes the double type-4 list you posted earlier to 1508 points, so something would have to give.

That's how finely balanced dropzone is, just a ten point increase can make a massive difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ugleb posted:

In terms of density, roughly 15 buildings of varying size is about right for a 4x4 table.

Unless you go to a hawk tourny, where they put out ten and watch as Scourge players cry softly to themselves.
I really do wish they would use some denser/non building terrain at invasion.

Flipswitch posted:

Hey guys, my club is forking out some dollar for some tables for DZC, a mix of TT Combat & 4G stuff. I've started to google for ideas of how much we'll need approx. per table, but what sort of stuff is ideal for DZC for scatter terrain? Was thinking of getting a 2P starter set and just loving up the vehicles as blown at wrecks for one, but still musing on what else I could use.

This is what I did with the spare APC's from two starter packs (I'm NEVER going to need 6 Bears or 6 Invaders....)