Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

While they didn't explicitly say monitors (mentioned destroyers, dreadnoughts, and stopped themselves from saying a third thing) I'm not sure what else it could be since they've been hinted at before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Option 4: it's pungari

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

He's still lead designer/modeler.

Devlan Mud posted:

Are Battlefleet boxes gonna be available at Adepticon? I’ve wanted one since last Adepticon...

You could ask on the Facebook Dropfleet group since that seems to be their primary communication platform now, which is dumb but oh well. I would be surprised if they didn't anyway!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Decided I hated my Scourge and started repainting them for the third time. Began with the starter set stuff and the battlecruiser, giant pile of everything else to go next.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Destroyers look neat, going to run a list of nothing but the bulk lander dropping destroyers now.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

It's odd that PHR is lacking the fins every other ship has, and Shaltari is rather meh but it might make a better impression when they're fully painted. I think Scourge win best looking out of them.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I like how the brass goes with the colors. I tried having switchable prows for mine but couldn't get it in a way I was happy with so just stuck with the Minos prow.

Also in battleship news going to consider this done enough after fixing up a few more dots.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

3:1 vallejo bloody red:basalt grey. Only brown paint I had on hand was a light tan color that didn't go well with the gold so had to mix my own darker brown.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Pash posted:

Someone want to remind me what Fusillade does again?

Fusillade-X gives you X more attacks on weapons free.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

I would kill for some new Dropzone stuff.

I think these are new and wonderfully phallic. Don't recall seeing them as anything but renders before in any case.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

You might want a few more New Orleans at least, but with respect to cruisers, maybe one more Seattle and San Francisco like you're thinking and then one more of each heavy so you can double up on them if you want a top-heavy list? You're pretty well covered with everything so it's hard to say!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Mostly finished these a while ago, still need to do basing and lens-ify the eyes.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Prototype model of the Shaltari Dreadnought up on FB from the UKGE. Can't seem to upload images to my imgur so can't share, but it's got lots of tiny dots.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

this seems like a decent deal if you're in the US

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dropzone-Commander-PHR-starter-Army-Lot-with-Jocasta-Caine/192567709897?hash=item2cd5ee10c9:g:k4UAAOSw~BhbEO9X

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

"better things aren't possible" - a belief that can apply to all aspects of life no matter how trivial

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

1) UCM cruisers are easy to magnetize. The only thing that I found was more hassle than it's worth is trying to get the heavy/regular tops switchable, so just make one or two of them heavy and the rest smooth top. The wing sections friction fit on and off so no need for magnets on them. For the frigates, the sides also friction fit, so you can make enough strike carriers and leave the rest to switch around. No idea about the destroyers though!

2) You can print out a token sheet from the TT combat site (https://ttcombat.com/pages/dropfleet-commander-downloads) if you're fine with paper ones.

3) I think they work fine for spikes/altitude but I use dice for damage.

4) Not sure on this, the guy I bought mine from stopped making them. I've seen some posts about people using these (https://matsbymars.com/collections/dropfleet-commander) but they seem pricey.

5) Unfortunately TTcombat are a bunch of lazy asses and can't be bothered to maintain the old Hawk forum and instead maintain a presence on the shitpile that is Facebook. There's a Dropfleet Community page you can request to join.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

finally had some time to bang these out in an evening, fully magnetized

wasn't the biggest fan of the models at first but they've grown on me

^ i like the actively exploding one, gotta house rule it to destroy poo poo that passes through the field that much better

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 4, 2018

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Got my dreadnoughts, after seeing a bunch of posts about bad casts I was worried, but they had no real issues. The ridge on the PHR one will need some filing/sanding and there's a bit of straightening in hot water to do but that's it. No idea when I'll have time to finish these big fuckers but we'll see.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Had some time to get this thing done.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Not a fan of the forehead wings eh?

I just can't see them as anything other than weird ears, plus having a second set of those small wings on hand means I can finally get around to magnetizing my battleship prows.

I hadn't gotten a model from them that required much work to assemble before, but this thing needed lots of gap filling in particular between the two halves, as I had to glue them not quite flush with each other to get an extra mm or two of space in the broadside slots to fit the guns, as well as shaving the broadsides themselves down a little.

Ugleb posted:

I dream of the day... Nice blue on that BTW.

Thanks, just Vallejo grey blue with some gloss medium.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Ugleb posted:

This will be why they are labelled as advanced modelling kits then. How is the detail otherwise?

There's a small ridge on the engines but it's minor enough I don't really mind and would probably worsen it trying to fix it, otherwise the detail is good and the only other work needed was some heat bending on the wings.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Shaltari player I know painted the orbs the same color as the hull and did the dots same as the rest on the ship detailing. Don't stand out much as weapons, but it doesn't look like lovely ornaments either. Or just embrace it and go full Christmas theme.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Cross posting from the Oath thread.

Didn't particularly like the UCM dreadnought at first but it looks better the more I see of it.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Played a game on my kitchen table with the neighbor today. Shaltari won, but only just barely.

Space shrimp pack a punch at close range!

My first game was against Scourge with starter sets and the Wyvern rolled at least 14 on its close action attacks each time, the fucker.

And hey, picture time then:

I've got no idea what I'm doing with the terrain really, figured random sponging and washes of dirty colors then throwing flock at 'em was sufficient. I'm not thrilled but ok with them at least.

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 29, 2018

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

moths posted:

If you don't mind a suggestion, try using a few areas of clump flock to break up the "carpet" effect on the overgrowth.

It'll break up the silhouette and look more like vines than moss.

I added some and it does look much better. I'll probably take some pictures when I finish the rest of the buildings.

Ugleb posted:

Oh hey thread. New Dropzone preview up for a Resistance Truck:

https://community.ttcombat.com/2019/01/23/wip-wednesday-from-the-resin-room/

file name says resistance but i don't see a single bolted on metal plate

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Ugleb posted:

They put too much money into hiring known actors to record hammed up videos instead of making the game actually good?

no price was too large to pay for this

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 25, 2019

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Some more building junk and a couple infantry. I found them a lot more fun to do than the basic infantry models.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

now to wait for the similarly sized resistance vehicle that's a bunch of buses bolted together

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

wdarkk posted:

So uh protip, when you're assembling a Scourge Dreadnought, if you assemble fins from smallest to largest like I apparently instinctively do, you'll end up in a huge hassle since you've got to put the four lower big fins in while they're enclosed by the smaller fins.

i don't think i've had to reglue something so many times during assembly before

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muSXLmbuc7A

modular builds from a sprue like the space stations apparently

neat

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

A while back I bought some Destroyers (the Dropzone unit) and they accidentally sent me Destroyers (the Scourge Dropfleet ships). I've got a Scourge fleet already that in theory could use them, but I already have some and I can't be arsed to build/magnetize/paint them when I've never wanted to use more than three anyway. If someone's interested and will toss me the shipping cost I'm happy to send them somewhere they're more likely to go to use.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Ah should have said that, US.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Haven't read anything past "we want a program that encompasses all of our games".

I plan to pick up the book and try it out, but I haven't actually played a single game of DZC so I won't be able to compare. Looking over their posts/videos it seems they streamlined things though, like the armor stuff mentioned above, where it's now A-E=roll needed to meet or beat, rather than a table to check.

Looking forward to building and painting the behemoths more than anything else, really.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

They show as 3 HP in the army builder now.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Picked up my book. It's neat, although full of the sort of "passes spellcheck but it's the wrong word" kind of typos, largely in the background sections at least.

Did a simple starter force trial game sort of thing. I think embarking/disembarking and all that is the thing that took the longest to wrap our heads around. We'll see how it goes with a proper game later at least.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

wdarkk posted:

There were a few things that tripped me and my opponent up, notably the evasion/AA counter evasion stuff, some rules being moved, and how infantry combat is no longer a weird subsystem.

We're coming at it having never played Zone, just Fleet, so hard to say how it compares to the earlier rules or how that experience would impact our perception of the game. Had fun with the trial run of it at least.

My big complaint is how ugly the army builder is right now. That poo poo needs prettying up!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Figured they'd be around the same price as a Dread so surprised to see it'll be double that.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

The UCM section goes on about how they're effective more as morale boosters/recruitment tools when compared to the same amount of resources spent on regular vehicles. And yeah, the Resistance ones are old giant exploratory/mining robots.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

a bit of cleaning up and detail work and i think it would look good, i know i couldn't be bothered to do camo like that for a whole army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

models look cool, but i hope those what look like 3D printer lines on the scourge monitors aren't present and obvious as they are in that photo