Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've been eyeing this game up for ages and it looks baller, but the Dropfleet still has floored me, those UCM Fleets are gorgeous. I wish the Shaltari ships did anything for me though because I do quite love their walkers as well.

Just debating on picking up Dropzone now...I don't have a super amount of mini systems but I don't have time to play them all as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh wow, really? I thought it was a super battle game kinda like Supreme Commander as a minis game, that's quite surprising.

Yeah, I'm waiting til payday before I back the kickster (kinda want that Beijing-Class backstarter add on too...) but the renders for the Shaltari ships seemed really minimal with a spastic amount of detail on the bits that were there, it just looked really weird to me.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Got my UCM starter aside as a Christmas present from my partner and I wanna play it now. :saddowns:

One question though dudes how does the game scale out of the starters. What's an ideal expansion point from this? I'm still trying to grokk what scale the games played at.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah the Wolverines caught my eye as I think they look really cool. I was thinking maybe the Kodiak, some Wolverines and after that I'm a bit unsure. No doubt I'll figure it out with my group on where to go, how early into the points scale do the interceptors, gunships and artillery come into the game?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I feel loving retarded for this but I can't seem to actually put the pegs into my flight stands, they seem too big.

These Falcons are really neat though. :shobon:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just started slapping my UCM Starter together and these plastics are a dream. Just got my Condors and some Ravens I picked up left to do now. :) I think my next purchases are probably going to be a Kodiak and maybe an Eagle? One of my buddies really recommended me grabbing the Gladius' too.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, the Kodiak is definitely the first UCM tool you want after the starter. You may want something that can scout next - Wolverines are good and the Ferrus is almost an auto-include in UCM lists, but the Ferrus model is a bit more expensive. Gladiuses look excellent, and I really need to get some myself. Eagles are pretty swell, and the model is great plus easy to assemble. After that, you'll want a little more infantry (either a second starter or a pack of praetorians are good), probably some Ravens for the infantry, andsee hat you want after that.
Forgot to mention I owned Wolverines, I ended up building them as 2 of each type but they are cool. Praetorians are the spec ops right? I'll definitely pick up a Kodiak tomorrow and start getting this stuff painted, maybe an Eagle too.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

don't want to derail your cool post that I don't understand, but man General Wade looks cool as gently caress, is he any good?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

He does look rather swish. I'll pick up some Gladioli when I've got my UCM painted. Got only a few more minis to build up.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Happy new year thread.

I picked up the hardback special edition of the books and drat is it cool

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not gonna lie this Kodiak is probably the worst miniature I've ever had to put together, what the gently caress is this:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arcturas posted:

If you want, you can use the third Bear that came with the UCM starter army.

But yeah, the Kodiak bodies are a bit of a mess. I spent a fair bit of time trimming down the internal edges of each half and that made a difference.
I really cleaned it up with a hobby knife and it doesn't look too bad now its together, the misalignment of the back is covered by the trailer hatch so it works out. I did have to partially resculpt the base of the dish receiver though, what a messy kit.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm gonna be completely fair to them, my experiences have been that the plastics are fantastic, the resins need a little bit of work but are generally good and the Kodiak has been a complete shitshow.

My other main mini game is Infinity which has baller as gently caress sculpts, so praise isn't coming lightly either. :)

Here's the entire force now, just gotta start painting and playing!

E: looking at the long term picture here because this game does look super slick and the appeal is magnetic for me, is there anything against proxies in this game with regards to the characters? Like is there any point in me picking up a Ferrum when I can just pick up Luciana M. Cato?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah it was more so for Cato as it seemed a bit redundant to own her and a Ferrum you know?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

dexefiend posted:

"Is that flash or a very important connection point? .... hmmmm ... looks like flash to me!"

Five minutes later, :negative:
First 6 months of Infinity was this for me.

Also my buddy is doing CNC NOD themed PHR and they look baller as gently caress. Gonna post up some snaps when he gets some more done.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Managed to start the group off at my scene, in two weeks we've gone from 0 players to 12 with more interest gaining rapidly. Time to start us a new player league! Does Hawk have any sort of packs for things like this or rulesets?

I've yet to play a game though as work's knackering me, our bar is too relaxing to grab a cider and watch others roll.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 15, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That is perfect, thanks mate!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hey guys, my club is forking out some dollar for some tables for DZC, a mix of TT Combat & 4G stuff. I've started to google for ideas of how much we'll need approx. per table, but what sort of stuff is ideal for DZC for scatter terrain? Was thinking of getting a 2P starter set and just loving up the vehicles as blown at wrecks for one, but still musing on what else I could use.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those look sweet, I'll take a look into Blotz Buildings as well as I have never heard of them, so we may end up stocking the range. :v:

My Store/Club is really backing this atm and it's good to see. For UK Goons who end up coming down to Cardiff, check out the Dropzone Dragons group on FB. :)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The people starting originally was when the game first came out. There hasn't been any Dropzone action until we started the revival here. :)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Played a starter game last night and gotta say, UCM Rapiers are loving bad rear end.

E: Looking over my Seraphim, the wide pattern plasma poo poo thing seems kinda crappy at killing mans in houses? am I wrong on this? the best thing it has seems to be the bunker busters rather than the bird poop.

E2: Final question, our escalation leagues first step up is 850pts, how does this look for a first drafted list? I've only played starter boxes:

Standard Army
Skirmish: 848/850 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [848/850 pts]
    • Field Command [309 pts]
      • Kodiak: Kodiak(Squad Leader) [143 pts]
      • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
    • Armoured Formation [222 pts]
      • Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor [142 pts]
      • Falcon Squad: 2x Falcon [80 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [219 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires, Condor, 2x Bear [141 pts]
      • ^ Sharing ^ Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires [78 pts]
    • Expeditionary Group [98 pts]
      • Wolverine Squad: 2x Wolverine A, 2x Wolverine B, 2x Raven B [98 pts]

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 25, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

^^^ pussy, 1v1 me bro

Ugleb posted:

That list looks pretty solid to me Flipswitch. The Seraphim isn't about killing mans in houses though, it is about killing the houses that the mans are in. The Bunkerbuster bomb's demo-D6 means that you can be multiplying the damage done to buildings by up to x6 so its a potential 12DP off a building per hit. You would then get 12 falling masonry rolls which can put the hurt on infantry. Mostly though you want to just collapse the building around them.
That seems pretty beastly, I'm still trying to grokk how the building combat stuff works as I've only just seen it in motion. The idea of a bunker buster bomber flying overhead is also, really, really cool. I really dig the FM mechanic from a flavour POV compared to usual fliers hovering around in other wargames.

I'm definitely gonna give that list a spin as is, I built the last of it today. Do people usually mix up the Wolverines or go for a squad of one type?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yo dudes got a bit of a question on experimental units. Are these legal for tournament or league play? Someone is asking me as im TOing for an escalation league and I'm assuming these are not legal for tournament play.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cheers dude!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just got back from a games day here in Cardiff (Firestorm Games) in which we had some guys from Hawk down as we are a ton of new players. Was super cool and everyone enjoyed it which was sweet. I took some pictures before my phone died which I'll post up in a little bit once I've organised my phone.

Congrats to our very own Renfield for winning best painted and winning a very cool Hawk bag. Well done mate. :)

As an aside question, I'm looking on angling the widgets on my Condors/other stuff to make my air units sort of leaning and banking to give them some dynamic side. Has anyone else done this? I think it could look quite cool but the entry point for the Condors is quite limited for the widget.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 7, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gonna pimp this here but UK Goons, Firestorm Games down in Cardiff has our first ever Dropzone tournament, we have Hawk dudes down and Hawk backed prizes. It's on the 6th/Mothers Day which isn't ideal but you should come down if you can make it!

Anyone who can give me Goondentials gets a free pint from our bar ;)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/Call_to_Arms_Tournament_Pack.pdf?3109535872935072771

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bloody hell, how long does it take for the Hawk guys to confirm accounts on their forum? Mines been waiting for approval for like a month and I wanted to post some club related stuff on it.

E: Also how much do people use Wolverines? I think they're baller as hell model wise.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 5, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Our first tournament here in Cardiff is a success with 15 players, 6-7 locals, 3 Hawk dudes and the rest have traveled down. I'm quite glad as I had some nice prep and liaison with Hawk to organise it and I'm off this week really ill with a chest infection and the flu so I can't even make a tournament I helped organise. :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Some pics of some of the armies out on the field from Sunday, plus my Dropfleet Strike Carrier(?) from Hawk. :) Forgive the phone pics, I didn't take them as I was sick. :(

pew pew

Gutted I missed it due to illness.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 7, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Finally got my first game in with my Seraphim, Not gonna lie bringing it in and then immediately missing is fairly disheartening. Got plasma poop all over the board and none of the enemy mans. :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How did you use the Hazards? I want to pick up some more of the new infantry for my UCM but I'm unsure how to go about using them compared to Legionnaires and Praetorians.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Seraphim Turn 1: Miss Building
Seraphim Turn 2: No Damage
Seraphim Turn 3: 8 Damage, kills an entire base of infantry.

:psyduck:

How do you guys use Wolverines? Mine were a bit useless today, they did some light damage to a dropship but I tried to use them as a roving picket for hunting down light dropships but they didn't seem very good at that either. Was the AA ones for reference.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arcturas posted:

Do you have a Kodiak or other indirect fire units? They're pretty good for spotting, contesting objectives late in the game, and shooting light dropships.
I was running 2x Longbows and 1x Kodiak too. They can target light dropships?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arcturas posted:

No, no, I meant that the Wolverines shoot the light dropships while the Kodiak and Longbows use the Wolverines as spotters for indirect fire at other stuff.
Oh my bad, yeah this is what I was doing. Though my Longbows continuously kept rolling 1s all game, so I didn't really get to see what they were capable of and kind of forgot they had smart smoke to utilize that.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

List buildy question, how many infantry is enough generally speaking? I've built my first list and I'm running 2x groups of Legionnaires in Ravens and one base of Praetorians, is that enough? I kinda feel like I'm not running much at all.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sweet, cheers dude, I'm running 3 bases so I'll experiment and try out things. The one thing I am still coming to grips with is battlegroup composition, especially as my lists seem to feel really stacked in the support category.

My list:
Clash: 1495/1500 points

• Standard Roster [1495/1500 pts]
    • Field Command [267 pts]
      • Kodiak: Kodiak (Squad Leader) [143 pts]
      • Praetorians: 2x Praetorians, Raven A [124 pts]

• Armored Formation [252 pts]
      • Katana Squad: 3x Katana, Condor [142 pts]
      • Eagle: Eagle [110 pts]

• Legionnaire Corps [246 pts]
      • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]

• Legionnaire Corps [245 pts]
      • Ferrum: Ferrum [165 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]

• Special Ordnance[239 pts]
      • Gladius Squad: 2x Gladius, Condor [149 pts]
      • Longbow Squad: 2x Longbow, 2x Raven B(+Missile Pods) [90 pts]

• Air Wing [246 pts]
      • Archangel Squad: 2x Archangel [134 pts]
      • Seraphim Squad: Seraphim [112 pts]

Not sure on having the ferrum in with the Legionnaires but it sort of felt the best place to have him really, I was also tempted to upgrade my Kodiak to a Captain instead of the second Archangel but I kinda feel like AA is a super must and Archangels are cool yo. No doubt I'll get a feel on what works for me in my meta as I play.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those look cool as hell. I was gonna Google for some plastic tokens or whatever for Dropzone tonight as I wouldn't mind some.

Agreed on support, I'm just gonna play around a bunch with different modules and see how they work out for me. I'm probably gonna pick up a second starter for the Condors and Rapiers and just enjoy the horde of free poo poo you get for the price. Doubt I'll use that many Bears though. :v:

I like my Seraph but as someone else alluded to in the thread, it's a really swingy model but I love how it fucks up buildings. I kinda feel like the plasma poop should be two shots or something to make it a bit more reliable and damaging but I know jack poo poo about game balance.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just saw some metal Legionnaires in person and wowww the plastics do not hold up well. Admittedly they're cannon fodder so maybe they don't deserve me buying nicer ones. :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I picked up Hazards, Praetorians and Praetorian Snipers and they look all rather swishy. The Praetorians definitely are quite big and I think the snipers look really busy with two of the tripods on each base, so I left one off of each and it looks cool.

Was curious on the other units to figure out how the faction works as a whole but I don't really get the Mortar Teams and the Flaks seem outclassed by every other AA UCM has.

I did get to see the plastic Shaltari Braves (?) though and they look pretty dire, especially the one who looks like he's slipped and is trying not to fall over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those are cool as hell dude, inspired me to sketch out my own, because those are sexy.