Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Has Dropfleet Commander got a release date yet? This year perhaps? Me and a friend were about to buy some Firestorm Armada stuff for BFG proxies but after seeing the models for the UCM we decided to hold off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Little blurry, but that looks like a really clean cast with little to no clean up, impressive.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

2PM GMT, so excited. Especially as a friend is all in for it after desperately looking for BFG models. If its good it might even pull us into DZC.

Do playstyles differ between factions? Scourge ships look cool but I far prefer the look of the PHR/Rebels/UCM in that order for DZC.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 30, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not a viking posted:

Same! I am hoping for a starter box + PHR fleet option because I like the look of PHR most in DZC.

Sums up what I'll be doing too, we'll either go for the starter set + PHR for myself or separate fleets depending on the addons.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I should be saving money, and I will probably never play the game, but I really want to back the kickstarter so I can paint up a bunch of spaceships like Criss Foss art.

gently caress poo poo I forgot about that.

Which ever faction has the Homeworld-iest ships wins. Though I think PHR would take that scheme well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TTerrible posted:

It's up and running.

I've pledged for the Commander level, I don't think I want two starter sets just to get a limited edition cruiser.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander

EDIT: It's already over half way funded and it's been up less than ten minutes. :psyduck:

If it had been 1 Starter set of every faction I'd have gone straight for Captain.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I get being humble but I'm honestly surprised that anyone's surprised that this has had an explosive start. It has Andy Chambers at the helm, of course it'll have good traction. People have been desperate for a BFG successor/more BFG in whatever form and every bit of news released since the original announcement has just got people more and more interested.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The worst customers get pissy whatever you do, its much more important to keep your retailers happy IMO, but at the same time I'm not so sure it was really necessary here.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not being able to swap fleets at the captain level has really put a downer on my plans.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

dexefiend posted:

Pick how much you want to contribute.
Pick the best level that is below your desired contribution.
Add additional currency to hit your desired amount (or you can do this at the end of the campaign).
Wait for PHR to unlock.
Reevaluate your choices.
Wait for campaign to end.
Reevaluate your choices. You can always increase your spend after conclusion of the Kickstarter.

Right now, i am in for Captain plus 90 pounds (ideally for the addition of 2 PHR starters). It aligns with how much i was planning to spend.

Just contribute how much you want now, and reevaluate as we get closer to the end.

Well the plan was to split with a friend which complicates things with the rewards.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not a viking posted:

Seriously the DZC scourge drop ships look so loving dumb and bad.

That multi-level carpark they call a dropship.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Plenty of people has asked about fleet swaps and while they said they logistically can't swap out fleets in the starter set, they've heard people's wants and are looking at other options.

I'm sure there'll be a method by the time the PHR renders are out in a week or so.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

dexefiend posted:

I also am getting tired of the bitching and moaning.

Why can't people figure out that this is not Bones. This is an attempt to acquire capital for a specific purpose: plastic molds for starter boxes.

This is not a push to put out a single box game that comes with a bunch of 'free' stuff. In the case of Bones or Zombicide, the goal was to maximize cashflows for the company. Due to the low variable cost per model, this worked great.

The goal of this kickstarter is to buy molds. Hawk wants this game to be sold at brick and mortar stores, so they can't give the entire game away in the Kickstarter!

You all probably know this, but I just wanted to see if you guys have the same viewpoint.

Yeah I'm glad I'm not alone in this, the Kickstarter crowd has become one of the most entitled I've ever seen.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

Hmm. Hawk's Update #5 is out and includes an FAQ. The very first question in that FAQ is "Will I be able to swap out factions in the starter box pledges?", and the answer is no.

I'm considering dropping my pledge to Lieutenant plus bolt-ons. I don't need that many UCM and Scourge cruiser sprues, and the high-rank extras so far don't seem enough for the extra outlay. I'll hold off on a final decision until the pledge manager arrives, but this is something of a kick in the teeth.

EDIT: On the plus side, the same update includes a podcast interview which confirms 9 cruiser classes for the Shaltari and PHR, and goes into detail on how Shaltari teleporter gates work (short summary: those "voidgates" are relays for teleporting troops, and they just need to position the relay to be able to teleport troops over. They can also move troops already on the planet from one sector to another).

The update also has a pretty space station render. If that's a bonus model, I might keep my pledge where it is.

I'll likely end up doing this and tell my friend to get his own pledge unless something changes by the end of the month.

Which is a shame because I'm a sucker for limited edition models.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Commodore is totally my jam. Anyone in the UK want my scourge for some UCM?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Though I'll probably wait to see what the race cruisers look like, might still go for the £45 + addons pledge.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Decided to drop down from the £150 Commodore and get a PHR starter fleet and a bunch of add-ons instead. Felt I was getting too many ships I'd never use. The station/launch assets/city blocks seem better to get.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

How do fighters work in this game? Seems like a couple of carrier frigates sending swarms from the back might be a good distraction to align cruisers and above for broadsides.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Speaking of, I will gladly swap any of my free Shaltari/Scourge cruisers/frigates for PHR cruisers/frigates. Already planning to swap my UCM with a friend.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LazyAngel posted:

Bad phone pics;

Note that the PHR cruiser here is considerably bulkier than the Shaltari heavy cruiser next to it.

Looks like I picked the right faction. :getin:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:woop:

Got my DFC delivery in, now to decide what colour scheme to paint my PHR fleet, and what loadout to build. Tempted to just do a grey to dark grey gradient with some yellow stripes (or red/green depending on if its a cruiser, battlecruiser, frigate etc) but not sure how difficult that'll be without an airbrush.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

do them like really pink dildos like that one guy on facebook did.

That's what I got the Princess for.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I just forget about everything I kickstart and it's like a present from my past self when a parcel arrives. At the end of the day it's a small team getting a couple thousand parcels out.

Also the scourge scheme is surprisingly hard to replicate without accidentally going too dark.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Anyone with more experience have advice on how to build up my PHR fleet?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

2-3 Strike Carriers to start, up to 4 at some point, and consider a troopship/assault ship? I've forgotten the PHR names, the ones with the Bulk Landers, you really want one of those at 1k>. After that I'd sort of just go with what you fancy really. How many ships do you have right now? sprues or otherwise.

Will post rules when I get back into my office mate, will edit this post.

I've got the starter set, plus the extra frigate and cruiser sprue, as well as the Kickstarter exclusive battle cruiser.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Traded my friend Kickstarter UCM for more PHR, 12 Frigates, 5 Cruisers and the KS Battlecruiser :getin:

For the frigates I'm thinking:

8x Europa
2x Medea
2x Calypso

And for cruisers:

3x Orion
1x Orpheus
1x Bellerophon

Then the battlecruiser is the Leonidas.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dark sphere too, if I hadn't received my pledge earlier in the month I'd have been bemused.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gloss black armour and metallic details? I'll have to hold off painting my PHR to see how those xenomorphs turn out.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

wdarkk posted:

So for people assembling PHR, how do you make the hull halves join flush? It looks like there's a very tiny difference in height near the sprue joint at the top of the halves.

Either use excess plastic glue so it squeezes out and then sand it down, or use some modelling putty to fill out the gap. No idea how I'm going to fix the front sensor on the frigates, GW has spoiled me on kits that go seamlessly together. :(

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Thanks.

Another question for those of you assembling goodies - how hard is it to align the Scourge crests properly? It looks like it's something you have to eyeball, and that always leaves me paranoid as hell. I'm hoping the larger crest for the Basilisk is keyed on the bottom, but who knows.

Oh yeah I forgot something that might not be entirely obvious, wait for the plastic glue to fully cure if you're going that route, otherwise you'll just having strings of melted plastic everywhere. :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fuuuuu I can't believe I missed out on the chance to call dibs on a Tau fleet due to something so dumb as sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've heard the exact opposite, people loving PHR gun lines. I think I'm just going to play this game with what looks or sounds cool, I'm too casual for min maxing.