Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1IxT8VSDSs

The big ship, the UCM fleet, a discussion of some of the mechanics and Adny Chambers towards the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Scourge Dropfleet ships spotted

L to R: heavy cruiser 1 and heavy cruiser 2, "lighter" frigate and frigate, each one (plus 1-2 more variants not displayed) made from the same single sprue, claims Hawk

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It would seem so, and these are just the scourge cruisers and frigates, worth noting that 3 of the 5 UCM ships they've shown are also cruisers that are the same basic hull with different attachments.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

If you look at those 4 Scourge ships, you can see the primary hull from nose to tail is identical on all of them, they just have different attachments on the flanks and the nose; same with the 3 UCM cruisers, one is pretty plain but with what I assume is a massive axial gun, one replaces the axial gun with two large turrets, and the other clearly has a fetish for guns.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

KR sponsor the Oath thread, and they are essentially the best company ever

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Between Deep Cut Studio, Gamemat.eu and maybe Frontline and a few other small and new makers, there should eventually be plenty of more durable vinyl, cloth and mousepad alternatives to replace the paper.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Squadrons, ho

Also a new pledge level

1 x Dropfleet Commander 2 Player Starter Set
2 x Faction Starter Fleets of your choice from UCM, Scourge, PHR, Shaltari
Kickstarter Exclusive UCMF Atlantis model.
3 x Kickstarter Exclusive Battlecruisers (choice from those unlocking on the 25th Nov)
This is a "High Rank" Level and so all backers at this level receive the High Rank Rewards as well as the "All Backer" Rewards.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's some more Shaltari pics

http://natfka.blogspot.ch/2015/11/massive-shaltari-pics-and-new-stretch.html

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pierzak posted:

So, they're making a new KS-exclusive ship class now? Or are those just variants of the non-exclusive ones?

Pretty sure the particular models are exclusive to the KS, but the rules and an alternate model will be available for everyone at retail.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Wind Tempest posted:

Also, the PHR ship designs are a bit of a hit or miss with me. Some of them have silly over bites while others make it look sleek and awesome. A couple remind me of the sunfish.

The Pandora frigate is giving me the Eschers, I can't tell what angle the ship is at.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pash posted:

Look what they slipped into the last update! A PHR Frigate!

But which way is it pointing? Towards the viewer? Away from the viewer? Up or down? I can't find a reference point

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pash posted:

Its worth noting that Hawk has confirmed that you can add on money to get more things in the pledge manager, and that the pledge manager will most likely run from shortly before new years and to the beginning of February. Makes it easier to get more stuff without spending a ton in one month.

Can you change pledge level in the manager though, ie up from Captain to Commodore, or are the levels locked in?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Have they said how many ships you can make per frigate/cruiser sprue? I know each sprue comes with the parts to make every variant, but I'm not sure how many basic hulls you can make, ie I'm trying to find the value of a sprue, per all the stretch goals

I'm assuming it's 3 cruisers per sprue and 4 frigates per sprue, the starter set numbers, but some of the cruisers seem a little on the large side to fit three to a sprue.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

These pledge levels just aren't very friendly to someone interested in Shaltari and PHR more than anything else. Commodore is too much, Lieutenant misses the stretches, Commander and Captain are the wrong armies.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 3, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Dropfleet Commander PM is up, they're using the same Geiger system that Mantic uses for theirs, closing date is March 6th

http://dfcpm.com/ is the late backer pledge link, but since you don't get any of the freebies the only real advantage to it over retail is access to the handful of KS exclusive ship sculpts.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It's been a bit weird, the link to my pledge in my email timed out for the first half dozen trys. Give it a day or two to settle imo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm taking my full measure with this, maybe I'll have a new job and be able to afford the add ons I want by the first week of March!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pledge manager closes on Sunday too, so just in time

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They should probably consider putting that in a KS update, rather than just on their facebook wall where I would very likely not have seen it without your prompt sending me out to look

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm filling out the Dropfleet PM right now - does anyone know the likelihood of bolt ons like the resin ground assets and posters appearing in the Hawk store later on? I assume the space station will, since they say it's plastic.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

EverettLO posted:

If you go to the manager it appears to still be closed, so I have no idea why this email (two of them, actually) was sent.

Clicking the link once you're already logged gives you the reason

quote:

Add To Previous Order

Free!

Hi Backers

If you’ve arrived here after receiving an email this morning, we’re sorry but, as we near shipping, the Add to Previous order option has been disabled. This email was sent out in error by engineers working on the pledgemanager.

If you’d like to check your exiting order at any point you can view it on the My Orders page.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Flipswitch posted:

gently caress the box, it only goes in the recycling anyway. Stupid fucks.

Having a shrink wrapped box would have made it easier to trade for cash or a DZC box, for those of us who ended up with two starter boxes but aren't really into UCM or Scourge and we weren't allowed to upgrade from Captain to Commodore in the pm after picking wrong in the campaign :smith:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ownzone and Ownfleet Bromanders, the TG SS is up for this year, earlier starter and earlier cut off for signups this time around. Send and/or receive the gift of more ships!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796690

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

GreenMarine posted:

I'm still waiting on my Commodore pledge. Are they still being sent out?

I just got a shipping notification for my Captain pledge

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

My Dropfleet Commander KS box arrived today.

Now I need to find someone local to buy the second 2 player starter box Hawk screwed me with.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TTerrible posted:

How'd they screw you?

I wanted to back Commodore, but couldn't quite afford it at the KS deadline, so I backed Captain intending on upgrading to Commodore in the pledge manager, simple thing that I've done on almost every minis project I've backed on KS.

Then for reasons known by few, understood by fewer, they refused to allow pledge upgrades in the pm, leaving me - someone who wanted Shaltari and PHR, with a handful of UCM and Scourge that came as free stretch goal unlocks - stuck with UCM and Scourge, with the handful of Shaltari and PHR that came as free stretch goal unlocks.

Hawk made an incredibly bad decision, and I remain vastly displeased with them over it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 18, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Serotonin posted:

Why would you pledge for a level you didn't want with the intention of changing it later? Seems an odd thing to do.

It's not odd, it's normal on kickstarter, especially when you gate certain stretch goals behind certain pledge levels like they did - for money reasons, holding out for renders over sketches or proofs over renders, etc. Hawk botched it big time.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 18, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm in Australia, which makes life difficult.

Quick question, are the battlecruisers just resin alternative parts you attack to normal cruiser bits on an extra sprue they sent? Because otherwise all my battlecruisers are missing parts.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cheers.

I had hoped to be able to just swap the 2 player starter for a PHR and Shaltari starter fleet, but the starter fleets are $60.29 AUD each retail, and the 2 player starter is only $97.49, so there's really no way out of this screwing, unless I trade it for two $45 battleships, but who is going to want to bother doing that?

:sigh: at least the t shirt fits, if a little on the large side

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The product is fine, and I don't care about the delays, I'm just still a bit flat over getting stuck with two fleets I wasn't all that into. Guess I'll just have to have larger alternate fleets than I was anticipating, and buy more PHR and Shaltari at retail late next year.

Also I hope someone is going to work on race themed launch assets to be sold from Shapeways like people did with fighters for Star Wars Armada, because I also only just realised I forgot to add some of the proper ones to my pledge, and the Captain level apparently didn't come with any included.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Quick question, how easy is it really to magnetise all this DFC stuff? I've tried magnets in a few minis here and there, but I tend to make a hash of it with off centre drilling, magnets not lining up, holes either too deep or too shallow, magnets unevenly set, and it ends up looking ugly and barely working; the only things I've ever done right are 15mm tanks, because the magnet holes are sculpted into the sprues, and a KoW Ogre, because it's a big hunk of solid PVC with a comparatively huge area to work with, and hence room for error.

If it's going to take any kind of precision work I think I'm just not going to bother.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Arcturas posted:

One nice thing about magnetizing the UCM cruisers is that there are different difficulty levels depending on what you want and how hardcore you are.

The easy mode? Glue your different heavy, medium, and light cruiser hulls as you like. Then magnetize the weapon mounts and weapons, so you can swap payloads. The mass drivers, burn through lasers, troop compartments, and bombardment cannons all can be swapped out on the same mounts with a pair of magnets. That will let you swap between both light cruisers, between both heavy cruisers, and between all but one of the regular cruisers (the exception would be the carrier, which has launch bays on the upper hull).

This sounds like my kind of plan for UCM, I'm pretty sure I can do that without loving it up. I guess things aren't quite so easy with the others?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I've decided to paint all of my Battlecruisers first, because only the weapons could need magnets, the hulls are never going to change after all, and I'll get a feel for which plastic parts go where, and how I might be able to make it all work. Plus I can test paint schemes.

First thing I've noticed is that I can make the Atlantis by stealing the two unneeded 6400 mass drivers from the Avalon sprue, but there's not enough 4200 mass drivers between them to equip both Atlantis and Avalon at the same time, it's two short. Tough luck if you didn't get additional cruisers in your pledge and planned to make at least one into a Seattle, Osaka, or New Cairo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ok so going through the pretty pictures in the rulebook, and the instruction sheets, it looks like I'm probably not going to be able to magnetise any frigates, at all, but that's ok because I have a lot and more are cheap.

The preassembled light, normal, heavy, carrier, and troopship cruiser hull plan with magnetised weapon swaps within weight divisions for UCM looks rock solid. I can, in theory, see how the same plan would work for Scourge, but the organic curves and lack of flat surfaces to recess magnets into may prove challenging. Shaltari is also a challenge, but for them the flat surfaces are there, the issue is really small contact points for the swapping bits.

PHR though, that looks like it's probably not going to work, the hulls are probably going to be to thin to deal with swapping the broadside weapons.

Battleships I don't have any of yet, but magnetising all of them looks to be pretty straightforward, except for Scourge, which won't work due to the fundamental assembly differences.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 14, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sojenus posted:

PHR cruisers are simple enough to magnetize, you'll just need a lot of magnets to do so between the broadsides and the keels. The only issue I've had is making sure the magnets in the weapon banks are placed precisely enough to leave space for the hangar doors underneath and also don't jut out the side. Had to shave off a tiny slice on each side of the doors due to some slightly off-center magnets. Used a combination of 2x1 mm and 1/32" magnets since that's just what I had around.

I'm really bad at magnetising because I'm bad at drilling and my fine motor control is subpar - that's why UCM is easy, they already have guide holes I can drill into. I'm not sure I'll be able to do it without making a huge mess and ruining them all.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I just checked my FLGS, and a 2 cruiser pack is $30 while a battleship is $45 :eyepop:

Think it's gonna be a while before I can add to my single PHR and Shaltari cruisers to make starter force equivalents, though I at least have 8 frigates for each.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bistromatic posted:

To be fair, the battleships are giant chunks of resin that involve a lot more labour than the plastic sprues.

I'm looking forward to getting the UCM one eventually but i want to get the other stuff ready first.

I don't mind the battleship prices too much, since yes they're resin and metal, seem to be pretty large, and they come parts-complete for every variant, but $30 for two cruiser sprues is a shade rich.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Flipswitch posted:

Is there any metal in the ships? So far they've all been entirely resin.

The blurb for the Beijing/New York/Tokyo said a mix of resin and white metal, the others say resin only. My guess would be that the sprongy aerials for the UCM will be cast in metal, the rest in resin.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Scourge one is wingy