Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Can anyone point me to some words on how the different factions play? There are enough excellent models spread across the factions that pure aesthetics aren't going to make the choice for me, so I'd like to have some idea of their table personality to help decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
How good are Resistance berserkers? From my literal no experience, scouring enemy troops out of buildings seems very useful, so berserkers may be the tipping point between Allied and Feral for me. On the other side of the coin, how are the Archangel Pathfinders? In my head it's a tradeoff between elite AA and CQB, please corroborate.

Either way, Mad Max renegades and bloated old tanks both kick major rear end.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

signalnoise posted:

I don't even know man. I posted a thread about this and no one replied. I am pretty heavily invested in skirmish games and I passed up on Kings of War. Now it's a far out wait for Warpath so I'm digging into whatever the opposite of skirmish is, in part out of curiosity. I already bought my stuff and I'm gonna play, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the kind of strategy paradigm shift I'm going to need. I've never played any of those formation plate games like Warhammer Fantasy, never played anything other than 28mm each to their own base. So playing with tanks and abstracted squads seems cool, but I do want to experience everything there is in non-historicals. Some day I'll try fleet battles maybe, but right now it's Dropzone.

To get some idea, look at the points of the starters: Resistance for example comes in between 502 and 577 (e: UCM appears to be 527-557, for interest's sake), depending on transport upgrades. Tournament standard is 1500, with bigger games not unusual. Obviously as you expand your army there would be more expensive choices, but it's still worth noting that the starter boxes are small armies.

MCPeePants fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 24, 2015

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Randalor posted:

A question for any :canada: goons who play Dropzone Commander. I picked up the starter set last night from my FLGS, I figured worst case scenario I can use the minis to pimp out some of our other games. Is there a good place online to order Dropzone Commander stuff with good prices for Canada? The owner of my FLGS said the only place she can order DZC from takes awhile to ship orders out. Worst case scenario, I want to pick up blisters of the Resistance cars and trucks for Car Wars.

I got my resistance starter from Starlit Citadel, though I picked up locally so I don't know about shipping. Their stock was alright. I believe meeplemart had a pretty good stock too.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Can I get some words about resistance commanders? My understanding of the rules is very poor so don't be afraid to treat me like a dummy.

Also, technicals. I love the drill, are rocket technicals the right choice for flooding out beside my opponent?

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Are Hannibals that mediocre? At 40 points they seem like a pretty decent heavyish tank, two guns, two DP. I guess the real trouble is needing expensive Lifthawks? But that thing is a decent combat support piece anyway, no? I guess it doesn't really matter, I love the giant overengineered rust monsters so I'll use them regardless.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

The Sisko posted:

So after much deliberation I've decided that I'm selling my Resistance army. The local area just rarely has anyone playing DZC and I have other systems that I can play on a more regular basis. I thought I'd post in this forum to see if anyone would be interested before I post my stuff on Ebay. Its mostly the the starter box and a couple of models I picked up here and there.

I am interested, but I'm in Canada and our dollar is garbage right now so that may price me out. I don't have PM's, but shoot me an email to fraser DOTluke at the google mail.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
I've got a Resistance starter for dropzone, if I wanted to spend ~$50 to add to it, what would be good stuff to focus on? Not really worried about maximizing points, more round it out into something like a balanced force.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Ugleb posted:

You want a commander. I don't have any experience of the Pizzaro walker but it looks cool. Or there is the new little hovercraft getting a release soonish. The Alexander was overshadowed by the Thunderstorm in the past, but that isn't a commander anymore. The Alexander also comes with the Napoleon turret option now so there's some choice there.

More infantry and battlebuses are good. Maybe some occupation veterans?

Personally I'm waiting on seeing the new faction starter box before expanding my own resistance force at the moment as it will be better value than the old one.

Hey, thanks for the input. I have always liked the absurdity of the Alexander, but I can't find anywhere in Canada with it in stock so maybe I'll wait for that new hovercraft. I guess a whole new starter would give me lots to play with, that might be good.

Would you run Battlebuses on their own, or with a hovercraft? Do they even fit in the Kraken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Slyphic posted:

It kills me that I haven't found a different 10mm SF wargame I like as well as the beta edition of DZC, but it's also complicated enough that it feels daunting to really try to fine tune.

Weirdly, the more tidbits I hear about Dystopian Wars: Armored Clash, which changed scale to 1:160/10mm and is coming out next year, the more it sounds like it's based off DZC.

I'm also holding out a teensy bit of hope for Horizon Wars 2nd edition (it has some ridiculous colon name).

The upcoming Epic Warpath from Mantic looks pretty good to me, though isn't trying to do the same thing as DZC at all as far as I can tell. I like the order token allocation system, get a little bit of risk/reward play. Kickstarter launches next month, hopefully we'll see some actual models and not just renders.