Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Our cat Luke just got diagnosed with a blood clot in his right front leg. We took him to the vet today after I noticed late last night that his leg was bent oddly and he was walking on the back surface of his paw, as if he'd broken his leg and the limb had folded under him; he was still eating, drinking, and walking (well, limping) around like normal, but the whole process looked immensely painful. The vet thinks that his circulation's been cut off because of the color of his pads, which seems fair, although I don't want to bother him and check for myself; she says that he doesn't have a heart murmur, so there's probably no cardiac emergency, and sent him home with some pain meds to see if the clot works itself out, with a view towards getting him an EKG in the near future to figure out his overall heart health.

I'm grateful this isn't an absolute emergency, but I'm still really frightened. Luke is only 8 (does that count as a senior cat?) and has been in good health before this, so this is a big ol' unpleasant surprise, and I'm worried about both his long-term prognosis and whether he's going to get his leg function back. Does anyone have experience with anything like this? If he doesn't regain function, I assume the leg'll have to be amputated, and I'm worried about how he'll recover from that as a somewhat older cat. The vet suggested a Plavix prescription depending on the EKG results, and while I'm not delighted at the prospect of giving the cat pills for the rest of his life, it's a small price to pay.

On the plus side, at least it's not a saddle thrombus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Posting Luke photo because everything works better with visual aids:

He's in the basket. Meyer's the one that looks amazed at the concept of a basket.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
You should get a second opinion.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Hi I don't have any advice I just wanted to say good luck to you and Luke!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Luke is doing much better this morning! He's still a little clumsy, but he's walking on his paw properly and is even trying to use it to pull water out of the bowl. I just put out the morning food, and he strolled right in and started eating, which was heartening to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
You should definitely get a second opinion as to the cause of the clot, presence of heart disease, etc. Cats don't just randomly throw blood clots, so you need to find the reason if you want any hope of preventing it from happening again, and also so you can treat whatever caused it.

• Locked thread