Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Anyway, remember what I've said about securing the scene.

Yeah guys, just uh, stand more or less in the puddle of blood and get a good look.
The man closest to the camera, holding the sheet, has bare feet :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This is absolutely my favourite thread. Australia in the 70's was rad.

Spedman posted:

Crazy Uncle:

This would make for an excellent avatar.

My grandmother passed away a couple of years ago, and as part of the services my cousin put together nearly 200 pictures from her life and her close relatives. These aren't mine, per se, but I thought some sweet old-timey fashion choices would fit in around here.

My grandmother, Reta, wearing Dazzle Camo for some reason.
Reta late 30's by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

My grandparents with their new car, late 1930s. He smoked a pipe pretty much his entire life.
Marshall and Reta late 30's 5 by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

A colourized photo - I'm curious how this was done.
Reta and unknown friends 1930's by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

These facial expressions crack me up.
Unknown Reta Leyland 1930's by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

My favourite picture from the set - Grampa being ultra-cool with his cousin (said cousin is still alive and actively farming at the age of GoddamOld - I think he's about 95).
Leyland and Marshall 1930's by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

My grandfather was a teacher and eventually the principal of the local high school.
Teachers Party 1950's by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

Everyone in my family plays cards. Not everyone has such amazing taste in shirts.
Mississauga with Dodds by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

Requisite shameful picture of myself. I'm the idiot in blue.
visiting England 1989 by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

unpacked robinhood posted:

You need this printed and framed forever fyi

I agree. Hopefully I'll be able to do that this fall when I'll have a chance to visit my cousin and get the original (probably print, little chance of a negative).

42ndtourist, YES! keep 'em coming. Expo 67 is such a huge deal still today in Montreal, I'd love to see some pics from the event.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

neckbeard posted:

He had an old SLR, hoping to find some more pics as we go through all his things.

Diggin' this shot especially :v:

Sorry to hear about your dad, he certainly had some cool pictures. Also, you should definitely shoot that old SLR yourself.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Hopefully the new boxes have some interesting stuff. The last box, 1992, had...churches. Fuckton of churches. "Hey. Pops." I say. "What's with all the churches?" "Some minister was collecting photos of every church in the county for a book or something, I dunno what. He paid $10 per picture, so yeah why the hell not."

I never want to see another church again.

EDIT: Holy gently caress why did I make that so big

Make this into one of those composite images where the big image is made of thousands of little images. Obviously the big image should be either a naked woman's silhouette or Bob Marley, if my time spent walking around inside the mall has taught me anything.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

It reminds me of some of the photo collections the Library of Congress has online. They sent photographers all over the country to record the state of things and there's a lot of "documentary" shots like that.

That's really cool, does anyone still do anything like that? Sounds like a sweet gig, for anyone not independently wealthy.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thank you

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There will be *something* cool in any old set of photos, guaranteed. Post 'em as soon as you can, please!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This discussion about vocabulary is a distraction.

Please post more pics of/by your awesome pilot-in-PNG dad.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

He's definitely the free spirit of the group, always coming up with crazy get rich quick schemes.

It's funnier to apply this to the guy on the far right in the background with the shovel.
Losers stand around for photos! Husslers get where it's at! These crazy Korean rocks are gonna be worth a fortune back home!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Welp, sorry for another long dump, but here goes.
Never apologise. This stuff is fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I was staying at my sister's place in Toronto. I had appointments to visit professors at several universities in the area to discuss M.Sc. possibilities. My first one on that Tuesday was mid-afternoon so I slept in. She worked for a TV network at the time, and phoned me at her apartment and just told me to turn on the TV once I woke up and picked up. I asked her that same question: "What channel?" and she said "Doesn't matter".

It didn't actually cancel any my meetings that week, and by the time I flew home a week later they'd opened the skies and cleared most of the backlog. I was interviewed in line at check-in by a CBC reporter (Adrienne Arsenault if you know who that is), she was going through the crowd with a cameraman asking people if they worried about flying. I said no, because security was very visible and very everywhere and very active, and it's not like airline security was suddenly invented on September 12, 2001 - I'd been going through metal detectors and saying "yes I packed my own bag" ever since I was old enough to talk so to me, it wasn't a big deal.

Sorry for being a heartless northern foreigner, I guess.

• Locked thread