Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What determines how perks level up through character levels? Do you just get a rank to whatever the lowest non-maxed version of the perk is? The character unlocks screen don't indicate any kind of tier.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

terrorist ambulance posted:

Lennox is way too satisfying to play. I don't think the other assaults are even close. Especially Hyde, trailing around flailing at the monster with a little fire (while it spits way more at you) compared to jumping in and stomping on it in power armor then stabbing it repeatedly for huge damage

Yeah, she's pretty much ruined every other character for me.
Minigun? Pfft. Tesla Gun? Eh. Rocket Launcher? Yawn. LASER FIST.

Also, added bonus, she's immune to being immobilised by Blitzleopards! She just wrassles them to the ground and punches them. <3
Doesn't work on plants though, surprisingly.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Maybe I'm hosed up, but I kind of got bored of her. I mean all the assaults are pretty straightforward but Lennox is literally just jetpacking at the monster and W+M1 all day. It's cool, but it gets old.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of how she is to play, but really the only greater detail I see with the others is that sometimes their good gun runs out of ammo and you have to switch to the lovely one.
Oh, I guess there's "Lay Mines/Throw Grenades when they cool down", but that's essentially the same as "Use Thunder Slam when it's cooled down and you aren't on a combo streak", which at least has the "you aren't on a combo streak" bit to add some depth to the choice.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Lemon-Lime posted:

What determines how perks level up through character levels? Do you just get a rank to whatever the lowest non-maxed version of the perk is? The character unlocks screen don't indicate any kind of tier.

It adds 1 rank to the perk with that icon. If you own that perk you gain 1 rank, if you have 0 it unlocks it and grants rank 1.

Once a perk reaches rank 3 it is replaced on all character rewards with a silver key amount. If you level up one character a bunch you will see the other characters of that class will show a bunch of reward levels are now cash.

As you rank a character higher up 12+ you start to unlock silver perks that work exactly as before.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

As you rank a character higher up 12+ you start to unlock silver perks that work exactly as before.

Oh, okay, it's just that the rewards above rank 10 aren't visible. Thanks!

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

The_White_Crane posted:

Yeah, she's pretty much ruined every other character for me.
Minigun? Pfft. Tesla Gun? Eh. Rocket Launcher? Yawn. LASER FIST.

Also, added bonus, she's immune to being immobilised by Blitzleopards! She just wrassles them to the ground and punches them. <3
Doesn't work on plants though, surprisingly.

All assaults can free themself from the leopards, I prefer Torvald myself because I like playing the mortar minigame every 6 seconds or so. Very satisfying when you get those perfect shots.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Perks don't stack, right? Only the highest bonus to a stat applies?

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

Liu posted:

All assaults can free themself from the leopards, I prefer Torvald myself because I like playing the mortar minigame every 6 seconds or so. Very satisfying when you get those perfect shots.

I looked at my damage after a torvald game and now I'm scared to play him again. Maybe it was just cause it was a wraith, but still.

Also two wraith kills in a row. Finally out of the trenches, feels good.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Perks don't stack, right? Only the highest bonus to a stat applies?

Perks absolutely stack.

Also I'm a salty person in general, but I believe without a doubt the game has always and will always strongly favor hunters if the skill of both teams is equal so I really don't understand why they nerfed monsters in this latest patch just because a bunch of new players don't know what they're doing yet.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 13, 2016

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
1 million players.....you can say the FTP system worked....

https://evolvegame.com/news/en-one-million-stage-2-pc-players-and-counting-lets-celebrate

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
The free to play model isn't exactly new. I don't know why they tried a buy to play + hella DLC model in the first place. Battleborn is doing the same thing and it is also dumb and bad.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Perks absolutely stack.

Also I'm a salty person in general, but I believe without a doubt the game has always and will always strongly favor hunters if the skill of both teams is equal so I really don't understand why they nerfed monsters in this latest patch just because a bunch of new players don't know what they're doing yet.

It can never be really balanced, but I can see why they'd be eager to do what the crybabies say considering the game just got recalled to life.

If they make it challenging for experienced teams then low level teams are hosed. If they make it challenging for low level teams then experienced teams poo poo on them. It's the same song and dance we saw with dead by daylight and Nosgoth and basically every other asymmetrical game I can think of, especially ones where one team favors teamwork and the other favors lone-wolf power.

Teamwork always wins.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Wow. Getting the Founder's pack really does unlock a ton. I feel like it should be the baseline FTP pack once they start selling stuff. Enough to buy perks and Lennox which is all I really want.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Nechronic posted:

The free to play model isn't exactly new. I don't know why they tried a buy to play + hella DLC model in the first place. Battleborn is doing the same thing and it is also dumb and bad.
To be honest, when the game released it was still questionable exactly which model was the best to take. Keep in mind...
1: How long it took to develop the game and how much more time it would have taken to develop, from the initially realized DLC model, a F2P model within budgetary constraints.
2: Call of Duty's massive DLC-fest making Activision 1 billion+ bucks per release is something every developer wishes they could match.
3: They tried to eSports Evolve pre-release and it went nowhere post-release.
4: Riot was the only game in town as far as making millions off cosmetic-only sales via F2P went. DotA 2 still getting off the ground.

That said, many folks questioned if Evolve should have instead gone F2P from the start since it was predicted the DLC model would die. Those folks ended up being wrong with previous assertions (much of EA's worst DLC still managed to make them millions) but, as always, the landscape of the video game industry keeps changing and they are right this time. The same folks will say Battleborn needs to go F2P as well and I'll be damned if Gearbox isn't in the middle of developing exactly that right now. Don't forget how long it took for Wildstar to go F2P, it takes time to do this stuff.

In any case, we still have to wait and see how much actual-money Turtle Rock and 2K/Take-Two are going to make from this change. If it's a success story, that's fantastic, but for now we only know that they have a large initial rush of players who want to see if this game is fun to play. If it's still in the top 100 of Steam a month from now... say... after No Man's Sky releases (yes I realize this is a completely disparate game) then I'd consider it a success.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are there any must buy perks?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

fadam posted:

I'm curious what others think but I always felt like you should just figure out your playstyle and perk accordingly. I'm big into mobility so I'm all jetpack and movespeed stuff.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Any jetpack stuff seems like it's better by default than any other possible perk. There's niche picks that might be ok (ie: stacking reload % for Caira, which would basically be a straight % buff to her healing) but given the importance of jetpacks for positioning and dodging, anything that improves them seems like it'd be the best

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

fadam posted:

Jetpack batteries. fuel efficiency and height are nice, but your primary means of moving about and dodging is achieved via that double-tap, and it always uses the same amount of fuel regardless of your other perks. Faster recharge = more boosts and more chances to dodge/catch the monster.

Reload perks and skill perks are situationally useful for some characters like Bucket's recharge and Slim's leech gun.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The perks that increase smell sense, the fleshies will always know where you are, why not do the same?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm in the poo poo bracket, but I've had a ton of success with Wraith just by using the AoE nuke and the clone. Is Abduction used more in high level play?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

fadam posted:

I'm in the poo poo bracket, but I've had a ton of success with Wraith just by using the AoE nuke and the clone. Is Abduction used more in high level play?

Abduction is a big deal because it can mess up positioning. If you're waiting for the hunters to come to you and one is a little ahead of the team you can abduct them, preferably around a corner where their team won't be able to help them while you smack them about.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My biggest complaint about F2P tier is that basically every match is against Meteor Goliath.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is party matchmaking broken? I have no problem finding solo games, but when I invite my friends we just sit in the lobby until it kicks us into a bot match.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I agree that the monstersame didn't need a nerf. Playing as gorgon is nearly impossible. Also wtf up with rogue Val self heal that does 80% heal instantly. The CD on it is low too.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just played in a stack with three of my friends who all just started today. At low levels of play I think it is really hard for the monster to win if the humans get a handle on how the tracking works.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Pub Sunny seems to work a lot better with a microphone so you can yell at teammates to dodge when you're feeding them fuel. Hank or a Medic don't require as much coordination; as long as you are paying attention, you can keep your teammates up without any additional input on their part. Sunny can protect people, but only if they realize that it's time to loving jump.

One perk is that pub monsters don't seem to be overly concerned with killing your shield drone, and you get pretty good uptime with your grenade launcher since it doesn't require your direct input.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

You can say it worked when a significant number of them stick around and pay for it.

It's too early to tell either way but I'd sooner say this game has already started dying.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

You can say it worked when a significant number of them stick around and pay for it.

It's too early to tell either way but I'd sooner say this game has already started dying.

It's pretty normal to lose people from the initial rush of people trying the game because it's free, it's a little early to declare it's started dying. :rolleyes:

e; vv sorry, that just came across as still being very doom-and-gloom.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 14, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Thanks for rolling your eyes at me I guess but that's literally what I said, it's too early to tell. I just wanted to point out that the game has started losing players and that's going to be more indicative of its prospects than the fact that it happened to hit 1 million total players.

quote:

e; vv sorry, that just came across as still being very doom-and-gloom.

That's fair I suppose, I guess I wasn't clear that I don't actually think this means the game is dying yet. I just think the decline in players is more of an indicator of failure than the 1 million players are of success, neither is a very strong one.

It is a little worrying that they haven't turned on the microtransaction faucet during the initial rush of players though. It shows integrity, I suppose, maybe they value goodwill more than they value money right now. Steam reviews are about 65% positive over the past 30 days - I wonder if that'll go up once most of the reviews from people still bitter about paying full price years ago get rotated out in a month's time. Aside from the perk system and the piddly amount of keys they initially gave owners (they've since increased the amount tenfold) I think they've been handling the transition pretty well and deserve better than that.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 14, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I want to like emit, really I do. But he seems so bad.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Since I haven't played this game in a while and it's not obvious from the monster side, does the gas from Hyde's grenade still slow hunters, or did they take that effect out? Just noticed people throwing them around wily-nily, especially on their own team members.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Knifegrab posted:

I want to like emit, really I do. But he seems so bad.

I hope he turns out well after a few balance passes. I watched a video of his dropship conversations and now I really wa-rea-reall ww w w www w I'M GONNA RIP OFF YOUR JAW AND SHOVE IT THROUGH YOUR EYE SOCKET

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Yo, so how does one use the new Bucket? You get two shields, but that doesn't seem enough to keep people alive. The extra damage from the turrets doesn't feel good enough to compete with other support with shield gun or drone like Sunny or Hank. Maybe my group just need better positoning and not get hit so much?

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 14, 2016

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

pedro0930 posted:

Yo, so how does one use the new Bucket? Your get two shields, but that doesn't seem enough to keep people alive. The extra damage from the turrets doesn't feel good enough to compete with other support with shield gun or drone like Sunny or Hank. Maybe my group just need better positoning and not get hit so much?

Passive-aggressively follow your trapper everywhere and mash 3 as soon as they use the planet scanner.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

pedro0930 posted:

Yo, so how does one use the new Bucket? Your get two shields, but that doesn't seem enough to keep people alive. The extra damage from the turrets doesn't feel good enough to compete with other support with shield gun or drone like Sunny or Hank. Maybe my group just need better positoning and not get hit so much?

I'm admittedly a newbie, but it does seem like success in dome fights depends pretty heavily on being able to keep a teammate up through monster focus. Thus, Medics and Supports with powerful targeted heals or defensive buffs are great, and characters without them struggle unless they have something absolutely bonkers to make up for it. I think Bucket in particular needs a well coordinated team to be most effective, since you want to make sure you're getting the most out of his cooldown reset (remember that it affects everyone not just you, so ideally you at least want to be resetting the Medic's healing burst as well).

One thing I like about Lennox is that her combo meter demands attention from the monster. "Ignore" probably isn't the right word for how the monster handles other assaults, but they're still generally going to be prioritizing damage on the Medic or Support before trying to take down someone with a personal shield and two other teammates keeping them up. With Lennox, even if you aren't trying to drop her, you need to make sure she can't keep a full combo meter on your rear end or you're not going to have one for long.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I love Henk. Getting good enough with him I can reliably keep the medic alive under stress and I can see why people suggest killing the support first. My last Henk game our medic only went down once on a goliath with a massive boner for him, meanwhile he's getting torched by hyde.

The stamina thing though with potshots. Is that actually true? Can anyone confirm that taking potshots regens the monster's stamina? Because it doesn't feel any faster for me hwen I play monster and nobody outside of this thread has ever mentioned it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mister Bup posted:

I love Henk. Getting good enough with him I can reliably keep the medic alive under stress and I can see why people suggest killing the support first. My last Henk game our medic only went down once on a goliath with a massive boner for him, meanwhile he's getting torched by hyde.

The stamina thing though with potshots. Is that actually true? Can anyone confirm that taking potshots regens the monster's stamina? Because it doesn't feel any faster for me hwen I play monster and nobody outside of this thread has ever mentioned it.

It used to, but not anymore. So go hog wild with your shots. And yeah, if you are going to play a support, someone with active shielding like Sunny or Hank are your best bets unless you are trying to go for pure damage.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mister Bup posted:

According to the stage 2 patch note:

quote:

General Monster Changes

Armor and health adjustments:
Each Monster has gained faster out-of-combat armor regen.
Each Monster has increased armor and health.
Stamina has been increased for each Monster.
With the removal of in-combat stamina, each Monster now has a set Stamina value at all times.

So feel free to take potshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

Thanks for rolling your eyes at me I guess but that's literally what I said, it's too early to tell.

You said it's too early to say something.... then you said something what the gently caress of course he rolls your eyes at you. I roll my eyes at you too!

Regarding the game I purchased Blitz Markov and holy poo poo the guy is fun. All in all this is the perfect casual game for me, I log in, have 2 or 3 games then log out and do some other stuff/work and then repeat.

• Locked thread