Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys he was saying "Well, if you look at these charts you can say anything, see? It even looks like it's dying." not, "Lol it's not alive, it's dead." I think? It was poorly phrased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've now tried Slim, and had to rebind my class ability skill to a thumb button as a result. He really shits out absurd amounts of heals.

I also tried Sunny, and she didn't seem that great? The jetpack beam stopping you from running and having a fairly short range is a pain. :(

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've now tried Slim, and had to rebind my class ability skill to a thumb button as a result. He really shits out absurd amounts of heals.

I also tried Sunny, and she didn't seem that great? The jetpack beam stopping you from running and having a fairly short range is a pain. :(

The real boost to sunny is her Shield generator, in that you can just dump it and do other stuff while it is shielding people. Her Jetpack booster used to be way overpowered but it does what its supposed to do well now, which is get people out of harms way

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

The real boost to sunny is her Shield generator, in that you can just dump it and do other stuff while it is shielding people. Her Jetpack booster used to be way overpowered but it does what its supposed to do well now, which is get people out of harms way

Yeah, the drone's pretty great, and her primary is solid too. Mostly, having to pull out the beam, find the person being focused by the monster and then click them and stay in range and facing them is a big pain in the rear end and means you're not shooting, but jetpack fuel is important so I always feel like I'm playing her wrong if I don't do it.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Sunny's primary weapon is probably the most satisfying in the game to actually use. All her skills are great, she might be my favourite hunter.

It's also really viscerally satisfying to hook the monster with Griffin's harpoon gun, but most of them just break it instantly :smith:

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I used to love trapper but he really feels lost without mobile arena. His damage is basically nonexistent and his crowd control is just an annoyance unless the stars align.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, I'm not sure what can be done with Trappers now that arenas are universal and the satellite scan is baked into their skillset. Maybe amp up their damage a little bit, tone down Assault's slightly? Or give them more monster debuffs, or ways to usefully track when the satellite's down. Daisy and the tag-gun don't count.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I primarily played (and still play) trapper and the class feels fine to me. I still end up being the primary dome generator, I still lead and guide the group, I still make the monster pissed off as gently caress because I ruined their mobility. I know this because I play with 4 other friends and I love to hear the monster player curse me out for making them so slow. Sure, the primary weapon damage is a bit on the low end but this absolutely is the kind of game where every single bullet counts; especially so now that the monster can regenerate armor while out of combat.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I can say with utmost certainty that Griffon and Maggie are some of the most annoy trappers to fight. Harpoons piss me off so much and have saved many hunters from my fury.

Also bring harpooned just before you contact a ledge so you fall helplessly to the bottom is incredibly frustrating.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm having a blast with this game. I really hopebit maintains a player base.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I can say with utmost certainty that Griffon and Maggie are some of the most annoy trappers to fight. Harpoons piss me off so much and have saved many hunters from my fury.

Also bring harpooned just before you contact a ledge so you fall helplessly to the bottom is incredibly frustrating.
It's me. I'm the Maggie who puts her harpoon traps at the edge of cliffs so they catch you as soon as you try to jump up. You're welcome!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
So I guess to be great with monsters, stacking all the damage resist perks for all three slots gets you 25-33% damage reduction. Which is crazy good when you are playing any of them.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I miss the old after action map view and to augment that it'd be nice if they also listed what perks everyone took.

New post-game suuuucks.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Once I learned that Jack's repulsor can also be aimed to block monsters moving horizontally in front of him rather than just directly at him he immediately become one of my consistent slampicks along with Wasteland Maggie. He's utterly unfun to play against as monster which of course makes him a blast to play. Too bad his satellite blows.

Speaking of Wasteland Maggie, I see that her harpoon has a visible AOE which is a nice quality of life addition. Were vanilla Maggie's harpoons changed to have a similar visual indicator of AOE? If they do I haven't noticed it, but it could be because the former's AOE is all yellow-y to fit her flame theme.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This has things I haven't seen posted in here yet.

http://www.pcgamer.com/evolve-stage-2-review/

quote:

Now, while the dome is inactive, for every 4% of damage to the monster’s health, the dome cooldown decreases in 60 second increments in tandem.
:stare: Well okay then...

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
I think we do need a new thread. At the top should be a tip to not buy Bucket since you get him so quickly with daily logins.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

There should be some guidelines on the characters and what their stuff do. I am sitting on enough Silver Keys to buy like three of the normal-priced ones, but I am paralysed from doing it because I am not quite sure what those would be buying?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Yeah, there is a stunning lack of information on the hunters and how they play. You can get the gist of most of the cast by watching youtube videos; even the old stuff helps as not a whole lot has changed for the hunters gameplay-wise.

I could also do with a way of looking at/purchasing perks without having to be in a game lobby.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Are Jack's dual pistols good because there are 2, or poo poo because they're pistols? What's the difference between a shield projector or shield charger? The gently caress does the trapjaw do? These questions and more can be not answered by the UI.
Also general strats should be a thing. As a monster, should I spread damage around, or focus one person down? Against which hunters? If I should focus, which classes should I focus?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Any tips for getting the most out of Lennox outside of straight scrub tier? She was awesome against people who wouldn't pay attention to her, but applying damage against people who know what she does has been a struggle since the monster is more maneuverable than an individual player. Even the Goliath can bounce around enough to keep you from consistently riding them, and I'm not sure she's playable at all against Kraken.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Voyager I posted:

Any tips for getting the most out of Lennox outside of straight scrub tier? She was awesome against people who wouldn't pay attention to her, but applying damage against people who know what she does has been a struggle since the monster is more maneuverable than an individual player. Even the Goliath can bounce around enough to keep you from consistently riding them, and I'm not sure she's playable at all against Kraken.

1. max out the jetpack recharge perks

2. know what the monster wants, ie, position yourself near the guy getting wailed on, or dance around attacks if it's focusing on you

3. conserve yo fuel for dodging and pursuits - avoid the temptation to hop around like a coked-up jackrabbit

4. learn how to use your leap with minimal aiming - and how to use it for getting over short obstacles

5. use dat shield in conjunction with boosts to eat rocks/abductions/tongue grabs

6. ALWAYS BE HITTING THE MONSTER - even plinking away with your cannon from across the dome because you're out of fuel will keep their armor from recharging, and you do the most damage regardless of what you're using compared to the other hunters

Oh and watch the reticule for the lance, if its red your attack will hit the monster, making combos a little easier to maintain.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Lennoxs melee has a longer range than you would think. Just keep stabbing. I rarely ever switch to her 2 because it's lost time stabbing. With her 3 and good jetpack perks you should have no problem staying on top of the monster. And if he's moving around so much you cant stay on him he's probably not damaging your team much so that's ok.

What perks are people running for monsters? The movement speed perks in tier 2 and three seem pretty good - the faster you move, the faster you're at stage two

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I go all in on damage reduction for monsters, and all in on the 'boosts three' jetpack traits perk for hunters. Also, I think Cabot's my favorite. It feels like his dust drop lasts way longer than Abe's dart, his railgun has some good chunk to it if the Assault's out of position, and the damage amp is, of course, good.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ok, yeah damage reduction is going to at least 40% on monster. three games in a row where the monster shits all over hunters because they can't really hurt him .

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Now, while the dome is inactive, for every 4% of damage to the monster’s health, the dome cooldown decreases in 60 second increments in tandem.

That has to be a misinterpretation. The dome's duration certainly goes down by a minute whenever the monster takes enough meat damage under it but if that were true of the cooldown a monster's armor breaking would basically mean it never leaves the dome again.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The first jetpack seems unreasonably bad compared to 100% jump height.

HMS Boromir posted:

That has to be a misinterpretation. The dome's duration certainly goes down by a minute whenever the monster takes enough meat damage under it but if that were true of the cooldown a monster's armor breaking would basically mean it never leaves the dome again.

Inactive. So, if the monster sticks around after the dome goes away. I'm assuming this is already in the game, because I just had it come off cooldown really freaking fast when a level 1 wouldn't run.

kater fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 15, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
From a game design perspective, that doesn't really seem like what TRS is aiming for. The monster is supposed to be able to escape from the first dome after taking modest health damage. If it's struggling to escape and taking extra health damage after the dome goes down, the last thing they need is a feedback mechanism that lets the hunters trap it again. I guess I could see that mechanic being implemented as a way for the hunters to punish the monster for greedy play after dome fights (stick around to fish for downs and risk getting domed again!), but generally the monster already has plenty of incentive to skedaddle off and get their armor back unless they're about to win the game and punishing a Stage 1 monster for failing to escape cleanly would be brutal.

Also, the dome only has like an 80 second cooldown anyways.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Most of the time the monster can't break contact especially if they can stasis/tranq 100% of the time

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It might be a real mechanic but I really doubt it's 60 seconds for 4% health damage, those have to be the numbers for dome duration.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I also tried Slim and it ended my 13 win streak (thanks Wraith) with my team calling him a "poo poo medic." Something tells me the fact that our support was Bucket and I had no shields on me the entire game might have been more of a factor though.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Just checked the patchnotes to confirm. The dome has a flat 80 second cooldown between activations that can't be modified. An active dome starts at 5 minutes, with the duration reduced by health damage to the monster or hunters going down (gently caress Laz, I guess?).

quote:

Shared Dome Gameplay

The Dome Timer starts at 5 minutes.
The timer can be decreased in two ways:
If the Monster incaps a Hunter, the timer decreases by 3.5 minutes (210 seconds).
If the Hunters deal health damage to the Monster, the timer is reduced in 60 second increments.
Stage 1: -60 seconds for every 4% of health lost
Stage 2: -60 seconds for every 6.5% of health lost
Stage 3: -60 seconds for every 8.5% of health lost
Once the timer decreases to 0:00, the Dome will drop.
A loud buzzer sound is triggered as the Dome counts down before dropping.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Is there any UI mod that moves the jetpack gauge closer to the crosshair? Why is that thing all the way to the right when the monster have the stam bar right below its crosshair? Also, an indicator and audio warning when your deployable (heal drone, turret, shield drone, everything) is down would be nice. Making them easier to keep track of when there's so much graphic fx flying around.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Another game with Slim+Bucket, another loss. Am I right in thinking that it's just a really bad combo, since Slim has poor single target healing and needs someone like Hank to pick up the slack if the monster just keeps focusing one guy? Or am I just reading too much into two bad games?

EDIT: On the bright side,

:shepface:

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 15, 2016

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

HMS Boromir posted:

Another game with Slim+Bucket, another loss. Am I right in thinking that it's just a really bad combo, since Slim has poor single target healing and needs someone like Hank to pick up the slack if the monster just keeps focusing one guy? Or am I just reading too much into two bad games?

Me and my friend are nigh invincible with Rogue Val/Bucket. If the medic gets focused, she can self heal 70% of her HP twice with Bucket's recharge thing. I also run with a tier three health regeneration thing. You can tank Wraiths for decent amounts of time.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
For anyone who doesn't know, Tech Sgt. Hank's shield burst shields don't degrade like the ones from other supports do, so use it as soon as you leave the dropship and again when it recharges. (shield max is 50% of hp)

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
For those of you wanting to pick up a cheap copy of the game on amazon or wherever so you can get founders, the copy I bought came with the inserts/keys for the preorder content also(behemoth), presumably nobody actually shifted the initial launch stock. Currently having founders is the only way to play behemoth during the f2p beta.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Liu posted:

For anyone who doesn't know, Tech Sgt. Hank's shield burst shields don't degrade like the ones from other supports do, so use it as soon as you leave the dropship and again when it recharges. (shield max is 50% of hp)

His 2 is weird though. It builds up over time or something.

I don't know how supports other than the active shielders get used. Staying alive against a good wraith or elder kraken is hard even with a caira and hank or sunny. Picking bucket or the monster lady or whatever just seems like a throw against the higher damage monsters. Their ae shield isn't effective enough and their other abilities don't seem good enough to tip the balance.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Cabot's damage boost is pretty great. Also the through-walls railgun can be a bitch if paired with Abe. Doing this I kept a monster on the run from ever regenning his armor until we domed him again.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah but dome him and then what. Cabot uses his 4 once, and then the monster eats your medic while you plink at it with your railgun

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

review makes some good points how there's less emphasis on noticing small details of the hunt and now everyone gets a dome button or planetary scanner thingie. But it's also true that the game is better for it, so oh well.

Is Maggie still worthwhile now that everyone has a planetary scanner, invalidating Daisy? I haven't played as her in the new Stage2 yet so idk how useful the lizard dog still is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

Yeah but dome him and then what. Cabot uses his 4 once, and then the monster eats your medic while you plink at it with your railgun

Damage amp! And I guess fart bombardment?

• Locked thread