Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
they moved the guy that gives you the stone mask to the middle of the loving pirate fortress. why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

MarioTeachesWiping posted:

it's completely different. it's no longer a garish looking executioner hood. it's like this purple cap with a golden beak face

disgusting

also found out they changed the blast mask so that it doesn't go transparent and fade back to black when it's recharging, also hosed up imo. at least you can still shield yourself from the damage still, but this is some scrub tier attention to detail, nice job grezzo

they moved the guy that gives you the stone mask to the middle of the loving pirate fortress. why

i guess that's to prevent cheesing it like you could before but also completely removes the point of why the guy's story is sad in the first place, what the gently caress

also now that i've done it i can confidently say that the changes to goht's fight don't ruin it, they just make it a little more tedious. like it's a little bit easier because of the track being more even and better lit, but there's honestly just no reason to have added an out-of-goron part of it, let alone that being the part you have to repeat, because you're still doing the exact same thing as you did in the original, just with an added step for no particular reason. i feel like odolwa's fight just being completely redesigned was much worse

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I have really mixed feelings about this remake so far because so far it seems that all of the quality of life improvements have been about things that maybe a handful of people complained about when playing it, but aren't really actually useful when playing the game. Like, the song of soaring warp menu is on the top screen when you could've made it have the same circle pad functionality but with touch screen compatibility too. The mask menu could have also just been something that you pop up and click on a mask to equip/unequip it instead of having to assign it to an item slot. Then you have stuff like having to drag items into the I and II item slots instead of tapping it then tapping the slot, which is obnoxious if you don't have the stylus out, which you have no reason to in an action adventure game.

Like, the trade items being semi-automatic is good, and the new bomber's notebook is nice (even if it should be way less intrusive when it updates), as well as all sorts of other things, but it still manages to feel kind of half-assed which is amazing because they took three times as long to remake it as it took to make it. The Iwata Asks about it explains that as being an effect of the new 3ds being introduced partway through development and also having way more stamina for insane work hours when everyone was fifteen years younger, but it's still really striking how little a lot of the adjustments added up to be.

e: i just noticed that goht's death cutscene has him running at full speed and crashing into stuff even though the only way you can hurt him is when he's knocked down.........

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 14, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The new bomber's notebook sucks complete rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm impressed the designers of this remake actively decided to make a Zelda game even easier for some reason.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Curiosity shop bottle duplication still works lol, 1 trip pirates fortress is so nice.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if they moved the stone mask to the pirate fortress that's a good thing. before you could get it without even entering the first dungeon and cheese huge chunks of the game, including the pirate's fortress which was just "lmao why in the gently caress would i do this without the stone mask"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

if they moved the stone mask to the pirate fortress that's a good thing. before you could get it without even entering the first dungeon and cheese huge chunks of the game, including the pirate's fortress which was just "lmao why in the gently caress would i do this without the stone mask"

That was good.

Dec 26, 2012

dat eshop theme

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah I'm not super happy with this so far and it really seems like they neutered a bunch of the more creepy stuff . It's fun to see the game with updated graphics but I think I'll stick to the original for any future replays.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it was convenient for sure but it kind of made me ask why they put a really easy to obtain mask that let me neutralize a big part of the game way before i even reached that part

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

it was convenient for sure but it kind of made me ask why they put a really easy to obtain mask that let me neutralize a big part of the game way before i even reached that part

Because it's funny to walk around the pirate fortress with the stone mask hucking deku nuts at asses, and the mask is optional. So you don't have to cheese it if you don't want

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wait really? I thought you needed Epona to get into Ikana

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Got home and it was sitting in my mail slot. It's time to game, baby.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Looper posted:

Wait really? I thought you needed Epona to get into Ikana

well i was wrong, you need the lens of truth to get it which means you're at least pre-snowhead temple. you don't need the horse for the area the dude was sitting in, but to actually get into ikana you needed the hookshot and ice arrows

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

darealkooky posted:

lol you can only use ice arrows to freeze specific parts of the water, why would they even change that

[in barry burton voice:] WHAT. What is this?!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The tweaks to odawala are cool and making me wish that they had done a master quest type remake as an option to mix up the dungeons but don't change anything else.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darealkooky posted:

lol you can only use ice arrows to freeze specific parts of the water, why would they even change that

Probably to fix the trick where you can get the infinite magic bar and use ice arrows to get to the water temple

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

oh, what's the postgame mode in this one? just double damage? windwaker-style hero mode with double damage and no heals?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
maaan, i don't know about this remake. it's kind of hosed up

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
[Reggie walks up, in gravelly Batman voice:] "Beautiful, isn't it"

[Me, looking at the 3DS:] This.. is wrong

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Should I get this game? never played it or the other full 3D entries.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

asvodel posted:

Should I get this game? never played it or the other full 3D entries.

save yourself some money and download n64 MM from the e-shop

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
alright, the redesigned Gyorg fight was pretty good

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
BestBuy is still having that price fuckery with the giftcards so you may wind up paying 30 bucks for MM/MH4U and they'll give you a 10 dollar giftcard still

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
if you're ever not sure of where to go next you can make link crawl into a hole to think about it like a loving animal

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

Heavy Lobster posted:

also noticed that they changed the location of a few of the fairy sprites in dungeons, stuck out in woodfall how the one that's underwater under the walkway is now like in a pot or something. still gotta equip the mask instead of having a stone of truth style thing to attract/detect them too

Get ready for Snowhead then, while Woodfall had easier fairies the faeries in Snowhead can eat a bag of dicks for how obtuse some of them are. Also whoever said Goht was worse what the hell are you talking about? If you use the proper arrows it takes 10 hits and the battle is maybe half as long as I remember just 4 quick stuns.

Soral
May 30, 2009

_Endgame_ posted:

Get ready for Snowhead then, while Woodfall had easier fairies the faeries in Snowhead can eat a bag of dicks for how obtuse some of them are. Also whoever said Goht was worse what the hell are you talking about? If you use the proper arrows it takes 10 hits and the battle is maybe half as long as I remember just 4 quick stuns.

why on loving earth would anyone use arrows on goht.

Soral
May 30, 2009

hm i could have a cool and badass boss fight rolling around like a motherfucker or i could sit here like a loving dingus and take potshots all day. hmmmmmmm

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Soral posted:

hm i could have a cool and badass boss fight rolling around like a motherfucker or i could sit here like a loving dingus and take potshots all day. hmmmmmmm

there are people who just don't play zelda correctly and i feel sorry for them tbh

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
the improved graphics really sell it when goron link punches a red bubble's jaw off

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

Soral posted:

You still roll around like a motherfucker to stun him? Oh no I gotta take 5 second to shoot 3 fire arrows oh no. Overall it's shorter and less bullshit happens so w/e.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought the upgraded graphics were nice at first but honestly all I wanted was the original with a better save system, better mask switching and a good frame rate. Everything else was basically perfect and I'm not a big fan of the changes so far...

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, this is the first time I can pretty confidently say I would've just been happier with a port than with a remake. Even then though, I've been looking at screenshots from the N64 version honestly it kinda looks better because mm3ds cut out pretty much the entire lighting engine and replaced it with the bad oot one. mm64 has a lot of really hard shadows cast on everything and there's a lot of light and dark contrast but mm3ds just... doesn't. It's higher fidelity but it missed a lot of the art direction that made mm moody to begin with

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Agreed with the above posts. Most of the changes aside from the more efficient time skipping and expanded notebook are just bunk, and the upgraded visuals are nice in places but don't add much. I was sure this'd be great after the work done on the previous Zelda remakes, but eh.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Heavy Lobster posted:

Yeah, this is the first time I can pretty confidently say I would've just been happier with a port than with a remake. Even then though, I've been looking at screenshots from the N64 version honestly it kinda looks better because mm3ds cut out pretty much the entire lighting engine and replaced it with the bad oot one. mm64 has a lot of really hard shadows cast on everything and there's a lot of light and dark contrast but mm3ds just... doesn't. It's higher fidelity but it missed a lot of the art direction that made mm moody to begin with

Exactly. It looks super cartoonish now and it just doesn't fit.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

the troupe leader's mask doesn't leak tears anymore. what is this

Oh looks Tail's rear end in a top hat moron is a huge loving liar again. The mask is crying like a big baby you stupid ijit.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

_Endgame_ posted:

Oh looks Tail's rear end in a top hat moron is a huge loving liar again. The mask is crying like a big baby you stupid ijit.

maybe it only does it on the higher processing power of the new 3ds lol

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

maybe it only does it on the higher processing power of the new 3ds lol

Nah son, I am playing on a standard 3DS, not even an XL because I was cheap then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I picked this game up and best buy and the instone online pick up trans lady said majoras mask...nice!

• Locked thread