Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sorry to just jump in when I'm sure this has been answered;

I've been reading that you need to 'upgrade' first, before doing anything else. Otherwise MS won't have your hardware registered for Win10

But if I do the upgrade (from 8.1 to 10) in preparation for a fresh install, the hardware registration won't matter anyways, as I am building a new PC specifically to install Win10 on

Or is the answer build new PC, install Windows 8.1... upgrade... and then clean install?

Cause if it is holy hell that's a little round-about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

EoRaptor posted:

Yes, you need to migrate your retail windows 7 or 8 license to the new machine by activating it on the new system and deactivating on the old, then upgrade it to Windows 10 to convert that to a device specific license, sending the hardware id to Microsoft in the process.

You can try the reset windows option at that time, which should give you the same effect as a clean install (don't forget to run disk cleanup and remove the old windows version first), or just format and clean install.

Cheers

So an hour(ish) long process just turned into a whole afternoon

:laugh:

Who am I kidding, when has a new windows release ever installed cleanly in under an hour

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

grack posted:

Mine did last night

I must admit to being surprised, though.

You're right, even having to do all this back and forth.. with the advent of SSD's and loading off USB 3.0 sticks, it's more than possible

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So installed the new hardware, motherboard,cpu,ram.

Booted into the existing 8.1 install, which worked (assumed it wouldn't, as drastic hardware changes used to make windows poo poo the bed)

Ran the windows 10 update which took 2 tries but eventually stuck

Tried to then do a fresh 10 install, but it refused to take my key, skipped the product key and left it to run while I was at work

Any suggestions when I get home, assuming the install worked, to make the key activate?

I triple checked to make sure the versions matched (core -> home)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think people realize that when you do the Free upgrade to 10, you aren't getting a 10 key. If your machine was activated in 7 or 8, your hardware configuration is what activates 10.

Right, I understood that part.

But when doing a clean install, why is it asking for a key? Shouldn't it just pull it from the hardware?

Unless it does just that after the install, I haven't been home to check

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's a generic install media that asks for the key, you just skip it if you're doing a clean install after the initial upgrade is finished. Microsoft generates a hardware ID for your system which is used for activation in future.

We really need a new OP.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ugh, Windows Update insists on trying to install drivers for my motherboards stuff (I already installed the latest drivers)

I tried to disable this but they're still there in windows update, how do I get it to gently caress off?

• Locked thread