Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Recent Changes: A few days ago in a misguided attempt to make a hackintosh I elected to disconnect my hard drives (which were linked together in a windows 8 storage space, leaving my SSD as the only drive connected) and my USB devices to try to run the mac os x installer with little prior knowledge. Predictably this didn't work but I was prepared for having to reinstall windows in case unplugging my drives hosed something up and I lost a ton of data (having backed everything important up to my NAS/cloud).

Problem Description: I boot back into windows and start getting hit by a deluge of 'Werfault.exe' popups for about half of my startup programs (all installed on my SSD) - these all had the same format of 'The instruction at (wherever) referenced memory at 0xffffffff. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.' I couldn't get into 90% of my installed programs and the system eventually bluescreened with the message 'PAGED_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED AREA' so I elected to reinstall windows to save myself the trouble of having to clean up this loving mess (ater trying sfc /scannow, chkdsk etc).

Attempted fixes: So I burn a USB key, reinstall windows, and before it's done saying 'you can get new apps from the store' it bluescreens again. It reboots and I manage to login but attempting to launch IE hits me with this loving werfault.exe error again. I reinstall windows several times thereafter: I try a different ISO, I try the loving windows 10 preview, I try it with my HDDs and DVD drive disconnected, I try it with a different SSD, I try it with one of my sticks of RAM then the other stick, then remove it entirely and use a single 2GB DIMM. Same exact issue (also ran memtest86 for a few hours with no errors detected). I reset my CMOS. Still happens. I try UEFI and legacy installs of windows. Same poo poo. I install Ubuntu, and while I can get onto the internet through it I'm not entirely sure of the stability of that either.

I'm decent at diagnosing problems but this has me at my wits end - the SAME error in the SAME programs (IE ALWAYS crashes on launch with a werfault error or the standard 'encountered a problem and needs to close') persists through reinstalls, I can run certain programs (explorer seems to work most of the time) but they are incredibly unreliable and the system bluescreens with the aforementioned error incredibly regularly. It's literally unusable and I have no idea why.

Specs:
i5 3570K
R9 290X
Xonar DX Soundcard
8GB Corsair 1600mhz (switched for 2GB HP DIMM, no difference)
250GB Samsung 840 Evo (Switched for 128GB OCZ Vertex 3 to test, no difference)
2x 1.5tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (unplugged, formatted, removed storage space entirely, makes no difference)
Asus p8Z77-v lx motherboard (reset BIOS, makes no difference)

Operating System: Windows 8.1 (tried multiple ISOs, tried windows 10 preview, no difference)

Any idea what my next step should be? Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot or diagnose this error beyond what I've already done? Has anyone else experienced something like this? Googling around gives nothing of any use and I have no idea where to go from here. I don't understand how me unplugging my hard drives and USB devices could have had this kind of effect. Any idea what I should do, beyond scrapping this computer entirely and buying a mac? This stinks of a RAM issue but it persists even after changing it.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Nuke the drives. Download something that wipes them completely. Your bios may have a utility for a low level format. If you know linux you can dd /dev/null into the device name (/dev/sda not /dev/sda1). Reset your bios to defaults.

Dunno if it will fix it, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try. Stability under linux can be.. spotty anyways.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd suggest reseating the cables on the SSD/hard drives and swapping them out if possible. Going through heaps of troubleshooting when the root problem is really low-level hardware can be frustrating, and swapping cables is a quick process.

Also, have you tried running the install using the onboard video instead of the discrete GPU? Pulling the video card and seeing how the process goes using just the onboard video might worth a try, too.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Removed the GPU and used onboard graphics; same poo poo. Removed soundcard; same poo poo also. I'm going to try using a different SATA cable/connector on the motherboard; there might be something in that. At least, I don't think that it's shat itself during the boot-from-usb portion of the installer. Come to think of it I used the same connector for both SSDs, if there's anything that's the weak link (that's not some nebulous motherboard malfunction) it could be that I guess?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Generic Monk posted:

Removed the GPU and used onboard graphics; same poo poo. Removed soundcard; same poo poo also. I'm going to try using a different SATA cable/connector on the motherboard; there might be something in that. At least, I don't think that it's shat itself during the boot-from-usb portion of the installer. Come to think of it I used the same connector for both SSDs, if there's anything that's the weak link (that's not some nebulous motherboard malfunction) it could be that I guess?
Did the cables work?

When you installed on the second sdd, were the hdds connected?

• Locked thread