Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
so for those of you who had an original xl, is the screen brighter or does it pop a little more in terms of colors? I'm getting mixed reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Everything is better about the new 3ds including the screens. Buy one today!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

That sounds more like your fault for not owning it on both. Same with not reserving a new 3ds xl when you already new it was gonna own.

I see what you did there.

But you can't blame him on the latter, since approximately 10% of people who preordered a Nu3ds have actually gotten one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

KingSlime posted:

so for those of you who had an original xl, is the screen brighter or does it pop a little more in terms of colors? I'm getting mixed reports.

on mine top one seems good, but bottom one is demonstrably worse in quality than the top screen. maybe thats normal tho

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

please add pushmo and crashmo to the recommended games. and thank you for including the sega 3d classics, they are good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ciaphas posted:

After playing MH4U for most of a day now I am really sad that I can't find a new 3dsxl anywhere in town, I need that camera control like yesterday :(

Well, there's always this, too. It's unofficially called the MonHun accessory for a reason.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Anyone else get their shipping notice from best buy Friday (and order status says shipped) but the tracking number just shows "order processed ready for ups" still after a couple days? I wasn't expecting it Monday or whatever but it's odd to me that the tracking hasn't updated at all.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

DisposableHero posted:

Anyone else get their shipping notice from best buy Friday (and order status says shipped) but the tracking number just shows "order processed ready for ups" still after a couple days? I wasn't expecting it Monday or whatever but it's odd to me that the tracking hasn't updated at all.

You're ahead of the game. Most of us still show the "preparing order" bit.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ciaphas posted:

After playing MH4U for most of a day now I am really sad that I can't find a new 3dsxl anywhere in town, I need that camera control like yesterday :(
dont be a baby the touchscreen dpad is fine

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DisposableHero posted:

UPS doesn't do stuff on the weekends, and Monday is President's Day, so hang out until Tuesday.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

enojy posted:

UPS doesn't do stuff on the weekends, and Monday is President's Day, so hang out until Tuesday.

UPS doesn't observe President's Day.

MonHun chat: using just the L without even target lock works fine for me so far. I don't use the touch screen with my fingers, only the stylus so I was slightly concerned but it's working.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Kewpuh posted:

when i did the original transfer from old 3ds to this one, 5 or 6 of the games transferred over but the file size read 0 on them and they were greyed out. so either the card was hosed from the get-go or my 3ds is jacked up but i would doubt that

This exact same thing happened to me. I copy and pasted everything from the original card to my PC again and then pasted it all to the new card and everything worked perfectly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
does anyone else have somewhat uneven backlighting on the bottom screen? it's not serious, just a little irritating.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

irlZaphod posted:

Except it doesn't? It looks nicer than my LBW XL.

Do you find it difficult playing games on your 3DS, since you're blind?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:siren::siren:Updated the OP with corrections and suggestions from the thread, and the second post with some game recommendations. Feel free to make good game recommendations along with why its a good game that should be recommended and I'll paste it into the 2nd post:siren::siren:

Please add this to the OP at the top under the bold part about system transfers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y88G3tp_f88

I'm on mobile so forgive me for not using the video tags

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Mario Golf: World Tour is a really fun game that is constantly running tournaments and adding new equipment and outfits since release. You can dress your Mii in golf outfits inspired by Mario characters and items. There is a demo available you can try. I don't even dig real golf but this game rules.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Haquer posted:

He really is amazingly wrong.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Just say a display model in best buy picking up MM and the on sale GCU.

The head tracking worked really well. I'm impressed. I'm going to defiantly pick one up when it's in stock again. For the improved 3d alone.

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides
Who are you going to defy?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Haquer posted:

Well being an idiot doesn't seem to prevent you from posting!!! Haha owned.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

irlZaphod posted:

:drat:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Don't think I can recommend any 3ds games that haven't already been mentioned. Pokemon X/Y/ORAS, 3D Land, Bravely Default, SMTIV, Etrian Odyssey games, Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton games. Kid Icarus Uprising was fun, but the controlling it was awful and made my hands hurt.

I've really enjoyed discovering DS games, though. I never had a DS and I've been going through it's games and have found some really good ones.

Dragon Quest IV
Final Fantasy III (though you should just play Bravely Default instead)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Chrono Trigger (never played the original, the port is very good)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
SMT: Devil Survivor
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
The World Ends with You

I'd add the Ace Attorney series to this list, as well as Lost Magic and Magical Starsign. The latter two aren't really known but I had a blast playing them.

Note that lostmagic runs like poo poo on the old ds but runs really well on the 3ds.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

irlZaphod posted:

Holy poo poo breaking out the big guns here :eyepop:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

This is a good post

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

80 hours to finally beat Bravely Default. Jesus, that last boss fight :stare:

I pulled out the BD card, stuck in FE:A, and I was about to switch it on when a little voice inside of me went, you just played 80 hours of Bravely Default, and now you're about to start an even longer RPG?

So now I'm playing Mario Golf. :cheers:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Has anyone gotten the N3DS wireless microsd management to work on a Mac?

Finder>"Connect to Server" then entering "smb://3ds" brings up a user/pass prompt, but I can't get it to do anything but show a "no permission" error.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
please help I like all of the weapons in mh4 and can't settle on one

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

KingSlime posted:

please help I like all of the weapons in mh4 and can't settle on one

You could focus on one weapon for solo stuff and another for groups, that's what I did in 3U (Switch Axe and Bow which unfortunately also meant having to get two sets of armor)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Kid Icarus: Uprising is literally the best game on the system.

You're incredibly wrong about any number of things but on this point you are absolutely correct

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The original Zelda XL looks dumb as hell. The MM limited edition is swell.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like the MM limited edition but not enough to pay what anyone wants for it at this point.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Looper posted:

You're incredibly wrong about any number of things but on this point you are absolutely correct

I like to keep people guessing about me

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Kaubocks posted:

It's been a while since I played through the intro dungeon of SMT4 but the general idea behind that game is abuse enemy weaknesses as much as possible. You get extra turns for hitting enemies with their weakness with a chance of that character getting a huge temporary hit/evasion/damage buff. The best strategy I've found is to strike first and make sure your enemies never live to see their first turn.

This does not work on bosses, especially when things are going good, they're at like one round from death and then they crit you, gaining additional attacks, killing a party member every crit.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Is Majora3DS not in the OP because it's no brainer to buy?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Anora posted:

This does not work on bosses, especially when things are going good, they're at like one round from death and then they crit you, gaining additional attacks, killing a party member every crit.

Bosses are where you need to care less about steamrolling and more about your defenses. Fight a boss a couple times to see their moves or search the internet about what moves they have. Then, instead of picking powerful demons, make some demons that are as resistant or immune to those moves as possible. It'll be a slower fight if those demons aren't as strong but you'll be able to survive a lot easier.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Erata posted:

Is Majora3DS not in the OP because it's no brainer to buy?

There are a lot of games that arent in there because I havent had time this weekend to add them also because no one has done this for it yet:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:siren::siren:Updated the OP with corrections and suggestions from the thread, and the second post with some game recommendations. Feel free to make good game recommendations along with why its a good game that should be recommended and I'll paste it into the 2nd post:siren::siren:

Feel free to write something up.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are a lot of games that arent in there because I havent had time this weekend to add them also because no one has done this for it yet:

Yeah, like MH4U.

I'm still trying to find a place in northern NJ that's selling the Black New 3DS XL, but they're all out of stock, so I guess I'll have to wait for the next shipment, unless there's a store I missed that would sell them. Checked around at Gamestop, Walmart, Best Buy, and Target already.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the magnet that activates sleep mode on my laptop sometimes activates the sleep mode on my New3DS if I put the 3DS down on the corresponding place on my laptop’s wristrest.

Which is, you know, TERRIFYING the first time it happens, because the screen and sound shut off suddenly and you don’t know what’s going on, but becomes extremely amusing in retrospect.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For homebrew and custom themes Ninjhax works. It requires a firmware version between 4.0.0-7 and 9.2.0-20.

For backups, only the Sky 3DS and its clone cards work on any firmware version. Do not download games off of the internet and play them online or you will get a system and NNID ban. You can not currently make backups of your own games with a New 3DS, you will need a normal 3DS on firmware 4.1-9.2 and no extra hardware.

Region Free or "Region Three" does not currently work on any New 3DS.

Gateway carts, its clones, and all of the related features including emulated NAND do not currently work on New 3DS. An update is in the works and has been seen functioning in closed beta back in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Heran Bago posted:

For homebrew and custom themes Ninjhax works. It requires a firmware version between 4.0.0-7 and 9.2.0-20.

For backups, only the Sky 3DS and its clone cards work on any firmware version. Do not download games off of the internet and play them online or you will get a system and NNID ban. You can not currently make backups of your own games with a New 3DS, you will need a normal 3DS on firmware 4.1-9.2 and no extra hardware.

Region Free or "Region Three" does not currently work on any New 3DS.

Gateway carts, its clones, and all of the related features including emulated NAND do not currently work on New 3DS. An update is in the works and has been seen functioning in closed beta back in November.

How the heckofits do custom themes work with Ninjhax but not backups? Don't thy require the same level of access?