Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

How is the face tracking? I've read mixed things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:siren::siren:Updated the OP with corrections and suggestions from the thread, and the second post with some game recommendations. Feel free to make good game recommendations along with why its a good game that should be recommended and I'll paste it into the 2nd post:siren::siren:

It's worth mentioning that the region free hack thing doesn't work on New systems. Some homebrew works and custom themes work using Cubic Ninja but I think you need to not update for that. There are other weird exceptions to piracy backup and homebrew devices but that poo poo will develop in the coming months.

If you care about that stuff you should not update your system past firmware 9.2.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Feel free to write something up.

For homebrew and custom themes Ninjhax works. It requires a firmware version between 4.0.0-7 and 9.2.0-20.

For backups, only the Sky 3DS and its clone cards work on any firmware version. Do not download games off of the internet and play them online or you will get a system and NNID ban. You can not currently make backups of your own games with a New 3DS, you will need a normal 3DS on firmware 4.1-9.2 and no extra hardware.

Region Free or "Region Three" does not currently work on any New 3DS.

Gateway carts, its clones, and all of the related features including emulated NAND do not currently work on New 3DS. An update is in the works and has been seen functioning in closed beta back in November.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

How the heckofits do custom themes work with Ninjhax but not backups? Don't thy require the same level of access?

No. The Ninjhax stuff is a user level exploit. Theme info is in the RAM. I think you can only permanently save custom themes if you've at one point bought a theme from the eShop, I don't know if they ever fixed that. Otherwise you have to run the theme applying homebrew every time you power cycle the system which is super dumb.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Does updating StreetPass Mii Plaza from within itself also update the system firmware, or does it require a system update? I'm keeping my N3DS on 9.0 for ~custom themez~

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

glassyalabolas posted:

IRC there hasn't been a streetpass update since firmware 8.x

There's an exclamation point in a red circle next to the update icon.

I set up HomePass on my Windows laptop which was surprisingly easy. I thought it required a dd-wrt router or something. Nope! Now I'm racking up those street/spot passes. Gotta finish some 3D puzzles.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RadicalR posted:

I have never got Home pass to work correctly on my machine. Frustrating.

I followed this guide:
http://www.glaciergaming.co.uk/articles/640/homepass-for-3ds-version-94-on-windows
Only I renamed the supplied .txt file as a .bat file and ran it with an admin command prompt.

If you own a Raspberry Pi there's something called SpillPass, which gets the occasional update:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/spillpass-for-raspberry-pi-v1-6.355768/

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 2, 2015

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Wow I don't care about any of it. Good thing I got a 3DS for three Zeldas and don't expect much more.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Red Robin Hood posted:

Does anyone have experience with these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...YB6UG6KYXQQPI2R

Anyone use it on their old XL?

I think the old vs new have different spots for the power button so the cases won't work between them. I have the Big Ben "Polycarbonate" New XL case. I can certainly recommend getting one for the New since it completely solves the (non-)issue of the power button protruding from the system and you won't have to worry about accidentally pressing it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

TheHouseofM posted:

For those that setup the homepass how long did it take you to complete most of your puzzles? I'm planning to build the raspberry pi version in the next few weeks.

Mine never has more than 10 people show up at a time. So even R to fast forward and hammering them out non-stop while watching movies it will take absolutely forever. But I gotta get those 3D puzzles.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone in North or South America who is not buying the humble bundle:

Here is how you redeem these 3DS codes. Wii U codes here.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Did you buy the bundle and not download any of the games?

Yes. I have European systems even though I wanted to get the bundle. I figured I'd give ten bucks to kids learning computers, give my friends the games, and encourage Nintendo to do more of these in the future. I assume corporations get some kind of tax benefit from doing these. It turned out that my friends in the US already got the bundle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm not giving kids twenty bucks to learn computers gently caress that.