Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
so for those of you who had an original xl, is the screen brighter or does it pop a little more in terms of colors? I'm getting mixed reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
please help I like all of the weapons in mh4 and can't settle on one

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
man wouldn't it be fantastic if MH4 had gyro aiming for the long-range weapons?

this is seriously a million dollar idea capcom i'll be waiting for my check in the mail

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
To be fair the classic snes final fantasies were not all that great either

course, the new ones are weird and embarrassing but still

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I haven't played either but it makes sense that the translation from the big screen to portables would lead to a loss of things such as scope and all that. The 3ds has a lovely screen, period and a big part of RPG's is the atmosphere. So maybe the complaints are somewhat valid?

With that said Kotaku loving sucks either way.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I may impulse purchase a New 3DS soon and don't think I have the proper screwdriver, where can I walk in and buy one? I want instant gratification tomorrow god drat it!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
That sounds legit enough, thanks for the tip!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Like I said, instant gratification!

Is GameStop still doing their $100 trade in or has that long expired?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh really? Interesting...

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
S'all good, I can probably get more for it elsewhere.

I have a blue 3DS XL with a 32 GB SD card and a Circle Pad Pro. Where would you price this at? My initial guess is $130 plus shipping.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Finally got ahold of a New 3DS, it feels nice in the hands and the screen is just a tad better (the whites seem better). I hope I don't regret upgrading but I did decent in my freelance work this month and I wasn't exactly short on cash so whatever, we'll see. On that note, my blue XL (with the CPP) is on sale at SA Mart.

I got the black one because I think special editions are dumb and the color I chose expresses this sentiment effectively enough. :colbert:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I want a shiny new game to take advantage of my shiny new console, backlog be damned! Majoras Mask or Xenoblade?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I agree, Xenoblade is a kool game so far but it really looks like absolute rear end...I do understand the limitations of the system and the scope of the game compared to say, Mon Hun so it gets a pass but it's a small, notable blemish on the experiecne.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Nintendo's really warmed up to DLC and IAP's, huh? Eh, if it works well good for them I reckon.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

i love to pirate and steal Video Games

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah these were all terrible announcements. The new metroid game looks like rear end and is probably so lovely that they're promoting the "additional game" which is clearly just a mini game within the same engine. Also, who wants another gimmicky multiplayer zelda game? Gimme a fresh new adventure in either the OoT/MM or ALBW engines, it's not that hard. And wtf was that stupid atlus game??

Meh. Portable gaming sucks these days.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm obviously very excited for the new FE but I can't help but notice that the media has clung onto the fact that FE will allow gay marriages. Yeah whatever that's cool and very web 2.0 (are we at 3.0 yet??) but am I the only one who doesn't get excited over marriage, gay or straight, in his Fire Emblem?

Support convos are cool but marriages and a town are a little too sim-oriented in my opinion. Guess I'm the weird one for just wanting another 20-30 chapter campaign with a cool plot and challenging/fun maps?

The whole simulation stuff isn't necessarily bad if you're into waifu builders and filling the empty void in your life with whatever means necessary but it's just for a different crowd is all. Plus FE has very shallow and uninspired characters for the most part, not exactly the most interesting cast to follow in their everyday interactions.

I'll still play it but I'm cautiously optimistic on this one. Too much weird poo poo going on. I guess that's true of Nintendo in general lately.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
lol @ some of the responses

All I'm saying is I didn't care much for the relationship aspects of earlier titles so having them be a bigger focus is concerning to me and a little disheartening as I fear it will take focus away from the core game. Ninty throwing same-sex couples into the fray feels like an expansion of the family building mechanics, along with the whole town building shienanigans. Surely y'all have played enough video games to understand that when certain features are implemented or emphasized by devs on a schedule, other aspects of the game run the risk of being neglected or rushed. Then there's the whole path split/DLC options, which are clear attempts at squeezing more revenue outta one project.

Don't crucify me cuz I don't want an anime waifu now, this isn't the Vita thread (yet).

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
woah forums user awesome what happened to your title?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Tae posted:

Holy poo poo, are you the same guy that thinks Fate will get an M rating because there's gay marriage in it

because you talk exactly like him

What are you talking about my comments never brought up ratings. I got no beef with gay marriage I just made a passing comment in how the gaming outlets are fixating on it to get to my point: I think marriage of any sort and housekeeping in FE is dumb and not fun.

Anyways this conversation got dumb and not fun.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Nah it was a minor element in the GBA games those were good. Most of em are but I personally could do with less bland character interactions.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ehh Shovel Knight is fun but it isn't substantial enough for me to want a physical copy. Pretty neat if you like amassing a library for sure but I like all-digital personally.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Anything exciting on the horizon, aside from SMT4 remix edition? I want to sell my new 3ds XL to get a beefier graphics card but I'm still debating on whether I should or shouldn't. I probably will though.

On that note, think I can squeeze $180 out of a mint condition black new XL?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh man. These things depreciate fast!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Rexroom posted:

It's not a remix, it's a straight-up sequel to the original SMT4 with improved(?) combat and demon art.

Meh a video card that can play cool new games sounds more appealing. Not that I didn't love SMTIV or enjoy my 3DS mind you but I do most of my gaming at home. With the slow trickle of new releases and the horribly outdated tech, I never seem to want to play with this thing. I swear I must have less than three hours of game time on this drat thing, impulse purchases are bad. Too bad I can't sell all the digital collection I amassed (got nearly all the must-haves installed), but I knew the downsides when I went all digital.

I'll check the FW, hopefully I have a version that plays nice with pirates! :pirate:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wow those 2dses sure are cheap huh

Am I better off getting one now or waiting till later for a new 3ds?

I can afford either, it's just I don't really need em so the less I spend the better. But I could wait another month of two if you all think I really must go for the newer model. Worth noting that I got a new 3ds xl at launch, but had also built a gaming rig around the same time and gotten through a decent amount of my library so I sold it right away due to neglect (got it as an upgrade to a blue XL I had snagged somewhere). Now there's new games that I want. It was neat, and I liked the extra stick but it seems useless overall and as far as 3d goes, I can't use it.

I mostly want to catch up on DQ7, DQ8, Fire Emblem Fates (and the upcoming one too for sure) Etrian Oddysseys, Gunvolt 2, Phoenix Wright, SMTIVA, Picross 3d 2 and uhh I guess anything cool that might be coming out.

I dont care about xenoblade, and might get into the homebrew side of things.

So yeah pretty torn on which model to get. Leaning towards 2ds because I see no obvious downsides (don't care about 3d or xenoblade). Buuuut part of me also feels that buying the outdated device with a slower processor is something I will regret, even if the 2DS is currently less than half the price of a new 3ds (nintendo refurb). Thoughts?

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 6, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yikes yeah I'm super interested in homebrew

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
drat, both sides make compelling arguments so far

guess i'll wait for a deal on either, see what's up although using extra processing power for all games via homebrew sounds tight

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
also i somehow have a charger already so uhh I guess at least that part of my purchase is already taken care of

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hmph. I've been tracking New 3DS XL prices over the last week or two, and I'm disappointed to see even Gamestop selling used units at over $200.

I'm starting to low-key panic. Should I pick one up from Nintendo @ 170 asap, or can I expect prices to normalize here in a few weeks again? I was looking to pay a flat $200 for a brand spankin new one or maybe as low as $160 for a used one within the next few weeks.

But I COULD pull the trigger now for the sake of securing the refurb price. Thoughts?

And it goes without saying but I have a massive backlog in general and plenty of other games to play, this is just a permanent fact of my life now regardless of what I'm looking to buy,

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
welp it's ordered, got me a refurb with overnight shipping because i am an impulsive child

still cheaper than any local options, including a few used ones

Now to debate whether I should sell my tablet or not, as I don't really have that much time for toys.....hmmmmmmm

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
oh gently caress if I ordered a refurbished which screens am I likely to get??

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ugh well either way it's gonna be lovely screens I guess I'll deal with whatever

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
My order is still just showing "submitted."

I paid for overnight and it's been one night! Nah I'll probably get it in amother day or two but yeah it would be nice to see that order status updated

Also idk if it's different cuz 3ds screens suck across the board, but TN panels are absoutely worthless crap when it comes to laptops, that much I know for a fact

I also do light graphic editing and am amazed at how little those TN screens seem to bother people, everything is so washed out and sad

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Honestly yeah

I was bitching about the screens back in 2011

Oh well can't wait to sink my teeth into dq8! And homebrew hopefully

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Refurb trip report:

Well the screens look alright and the colors do look better than on older models imo, I think there's a tiny bit of difference in tone between the two screens but it's marginal and I can't tell for poo poo what I got. So that's cool.

More importantly, both screens get pleasently bright at 5. Cranking up the brightness makes the screen pop a bit more, and I'm pretty happy about that. Crappy screens look a lot better when you can actually pump up the brightness to a decent level and overall I'm pleased at how servicable the screens are on this unit. My old XL def didn't get this bright.

Oh also it came with 9.3 straight from nintendo so looks like I'm golden on the homebrew. I also asked to work from home today so its gon be a fun day

:getin:

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 8, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
err do I NEED a microsd card reader to format the card?

This is loving stupid, why can't I do it over my phone? I haven't needed to own an SD card reader in over five years

Do I have to loving run out to buy one now?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
gently caress me

guess I'm going out to find one during lunch, how irritating

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I am a victim of extranous circumstances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh yeah, the only problem is I want it now

Such is the struggle

My laptop has a built-in reader but I obviously lost the SD card adapter real quick. Maybe I'll get one of those instead