Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Nolgthorn posted:

I have a normal 3DS and I want to confirm for everone living in the USA that you screwed up and convinced Japan that you hate anything good. You just want to eat Mcdonalds and watch political commentary by Fox contributors on the biggest screens that are available.

I"m glad you're happy with your Nintendo product. I am also happy with my larger Nintendo product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Adam Bowen posted:

Anyone else noticing sudden brightness drops? I've been playing 3D Land and occasionally the brightness will take a big dip, and then it seems like it slowly creeps back to normal.

Did you turn off auto-brightness? It's on the home menu where you change themes

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I don't think it was, I only found it by fiddling around on the home screen. I definitely noticed the screen being darker than I remembered.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Looper posted:

Am I allowed to post in here if I have an old 3DS?

Only if you feel really bad about it

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Don't think I can recommend any 3ds games that haven't already been mentioned. Pokemon X/Y/ORAS, 3D Land, Bravely Default, SMTIV, Etrian Odyssey games, Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton games. Kid Icarus Uprising was fun, but the controlling it was awful and made my hands hurt.

I've really enjoyed discovering DS games, though. I never had a DS and I've been going through it's games and have found some really good ones.

Dragon Quest IV
Final Fantasy III (though you should just play Bravely Default instead)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Chrono Trigger (never played the original, the port is very good)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
SMT: Devil Survivor
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
The World Ends with You

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I'd recommend Final Fantasy IV DS over III, and also SMT: Devil Survivor has an enhanced port for 3DS, so there's not much point in playing the original DS one.

I did actually play FFIV, but didn't really enjoy it. In my opinion, the frame rate seemed to be really bad. I would recommend III over IV, but since Bravely Default is just a better version of FFIII, pretty much, that's the best choice.

Also, I didn't know Overclocked was a port of Devil Survivor, I thought it was like a sequel or something. Wish I had tried harder to find it. The DS version is still really good and if you can't find Overclocked, the original is good.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

forbidden lesbian posted:

Good list, Advance Wars is the only thing noticeably missing, to me anyway.

I have not played it, so that'll be my next game to find

quote:

Final Fantasy III is garbage

I didn't think it was that bad, just grindy. Guess the masses have spoken though

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 15, 2015

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Saoshyant posted:

Also, Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker has a date for NA: May 5th.

Super excited for this. Been playing through the first one and really enjoying it.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

raditts posted:

Hey, now that it's been a few months and the hype has died down, do people still like Fantasy Life? I'm still kind of interested in getting it and it sounds like the kind of game my wife would love since she's bonkers for Harvest Moon, but chatter about that game has dropped straight to zero around here.

You should definitely get Fantasy Life. It's like if Animal Crossing and Final Fantasy had a baby.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Mercury Crusader posted:

You know how with DS games on the 3DS you can still hit the Home button to bump yourself back into the 3DS menu, and you can close the 3DS to put the DS into sleep mode?

The GBA Ambassador games don't do any of that.

As in, the home button doesn't do anything while you play a GBA Ambassador game? No functionality? Or it closes the game?

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Kelp Plankton posted:

The best 3DS theme is the MGS3 Snake Eater one, because it plays the Snake Eater song constantly

I'll second this. I thought spending real money for a background on my 3ds was stupid until I saw this.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Sacred Cow posted:

Getting myself a N3DS today. What is the RPG of choice - Bravely Default or Fire Emblem?

Both are fine choices. Do you want a traditional jrpg? Bravely Default. Do you want a strategy game? Fire Emblem.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

the wildest rear end posted:

So since I only got Gold, which of the Oracle games is the better?

I like Ages more, but it depends on what kind of game you like. Seasons is more combat heavy, while Ages is more a puzzle game.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I really liked 999. Virtue's Last Reward is also really great, but I can't bring myself to actually recommend it to anyone. After putting 24 hours into the game and finally starting to make some sense about what was happening, it ate my save. Apparently it's a not uncommon occurrence. They're both definitely fun, but beware VLR might waste your time.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

greatn posted:

Does Square Enix own a patent on the "Optimize" button from 1994's? Final Fantasy 6?

This works for some games and doesn't work for others. For Xenoblade, it might be troublesome. When you compare different armors or weapons, the gems currently in them increase the stats. A piece of armor that might actually be better appears worse due to a good gem in the weaker armor. Not to mention there are different builds depending if you want light, medium, or heavy armor. Some weapons are more useful for defense and some equipment, while weaker, is preferable because of gem slots of pre-loaded gems.

Is there a way to put this into an optimization option? Maybe, but that's a lot of effort. An optimize button could just give the generally best stuff, but then you don't really care about getting the best build, just a good enough build. Strategy is more important than the best equipment, but going through all your equipment to find the best combination can be fun.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Tender Bender posted:

Ugh, why did platinum rewards expire at the end of April? Everything else is up until June. I couldn't decide what I wanted and finally decided on Mario Golf and just found out my reward can't be redeemed now. Is customer service good about dealing with this?

You can try, but I'm guessing they'll tell you tough luck since the end date was clearly noted. If you give them a good story about being unable to redeem the reward until it was too late, they might be nice.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I haven't played the original DS2, but compared to the original Devil Survivor, Record Breaker looks a lot nicer and runs smoother. The auction system is also better. If you have 50 bucks, Record Breaker is a good buy.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Glenn posted:

Quick question: how necessary is it to play SMT: Devil Survivor before Devil Survivor 2? I might buy it if there's a sale.

It's not necessary, but they're both good. I think I enjoy 2 more, but they're both very good. If you get the chance to play both you should.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Rexroom posted:

I didn't see anyone mention this, but Nintendo released a stand-alone Super Smash Bros. controller app for the 3DS, so you don't have to own the full 3DS version to use it for the Wii U version. Only for 99 cents. (If you're into the 3DS controller thing.)

That's actually really neat, as I'd only been holding onto my 3DS copy of smash bros to I could have others use it as a controller on the Wii U version

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

African AIDS cum posted:

Are they gonna make 3DS games for normies anymore or is it just fanservice stuff for weird people and expensive collectors editions of things to be hoarded and sold on ebay for big markup? Thoughts on this?

Just fanservice. Throw it in the trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Steps taken: 72,359

Total Play Time: 50 titles, 483:28

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth: 103:41
Zero Escape: 66:50
Devil Survivor 2: 45:33
Xenoblade Chronicles: 30:32