Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Canned Panda posted:

This is how you do that:

http://www.nintendo.com.au/new-nintendo-3ds/support/microsd-management/

ALSO: If you didn't do a system transfer from your old 3DS/3DS XL, and either formatted the system or traded it in/sold it, CALL NINTENDO. Tell them you didn't do the transfer, and they will do it for you on their end. It usually takes 2 - 7 days, and you won't have your save files, but you won't lose any of your eShop purchases.

My dog ate my OG 3DS ( :( ) and I got ahold of nintendo CS through their online chat. They never said anything about it taking 2 to 7 days to transfer, but you will need the serial number for your new system as well as be able to verify some of the purchases made on the NNID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jadaris posted:

How close do you have to physically be to another 3DS to pick up a StreetPass?

I don't think nintendo has ever spoken officially on that - if they have it's not easily found by google - but the consensus seems to be 60-100 feet depending on obstructions, other wifi signals, etc.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I don't feel too bad about using a walkthrough for Majora's Mask sidequests because I've only finished one temple and some of the side stuff has been fairly obtuse.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Zaggitz posted:

Used my Club Nintendo points to get Kid Icarus Uprising instead of the nerd swag. I better have a drat good time. :mad:

The nerd swag is (with the sole exception of the game card cases) plagued with build quality issues and Kid Icarus is arguably the best game on the system. You did good.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Has anyone been on Kid Icarus multiplayer lately? Like, anyone in the whole world? I have kinda been wanting to go pick the game back up but I don't wanna dig it out if nobody else is playing.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I paid $30 for a used copy of pokemon yellow (though he threw in a new battery too)

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a decalgirl skin for my red n3DS XL. Has anybody bought from decalgirl? Is the quality pretty decent? How much does the color of the system show through? These are the ones I'm looking at:

https://www.decalgirl.com/custom/1192459/1366/no55
https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/256113/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Skin-Retro-Horizontal

However I'm concerned about the red of the system showing through and making these look tacky. Any thoughts?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Nuebot posted:

Well hopefully I luck out then. No amount of stupid fanboyism can convince me to pay 4x the price of the system for it. I skipped the link between worlds XL and I'll skip this one too if I have to :smith:.

if all else fails, you can make your DS super pretty with a decal from decalgirl.com, or be like my wife and order car decals off amazon and slap 'em on there.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Quincytbb posted:

So after the past week of using my new 3ds with it working in perfect order, i find out tonight that its suddenly a pain to move the c stick down. I know some people have had this happen at launch but has anyone else had their c stick go bad after using it? And is there anything I can do besides contact support/pray it fixes itself overnight?

it's apparently a pretty common defect, probably best you contact nintendo and take advantage of your manufacturer's warranty now

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

I tried Ironfall today and then went back and played a few Kid Icarus matches online and wow what a loving difference. Also Kid Icarus loving owns.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

noirstronaut posted:

What even is Kid Icarus online? Do you shoot other Icarii?

Have you ever played KI:U at all? If not, it's a third person shooter with Smash Bros controls.

The online is Good For A Nintendo Game. You play either with people on your friends list or with randoms. You see randoms' names but can't communicate with them in any way, nor is there anything that identifies skill level like an ELO or even a CoD level system. There are two game modes, free for all and 3v3 teams. In 3v3 teams you are either white or black and you kill each other, each death depleting a shared team health bar. When your team's health bar runs out, the next guy that dies respawns as either Pit or Dark Pit, who has a random really beefy weapon and has like 4x normal health. When Pit/Dark Pit dies, the game is over.

The other mode is just deathmatch.

One thing is the gear issue: By the time you get to the end of the single player, you're getting weapons that have an order of magnitude (slight exaggeration) better stats than the ones you start with. Any weapons you find or make, either online or offline, are fair game in any game mode. This leads to sometimes getting wrecked by a guy just because his stuff is better than yours. That said, it's really neat to see a Nintendo take on a modern third-person shooter and it has really snappy, nice-feeling controls. The number of different playstyles in the game would really surprise you; there are 12 kinds of weapons and each one plays like a totally different character, with 12 different variants on each kind of weapon

Overall, as a multiplayer game, it has every bit as much charm as something like Mario Kart and seems to have pretty tight balance, but there's not too many maps and probably no more game modes forthcoming. With some iterating it could be really, scarily good.

Sade fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 28, 2015

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

mancalamania posted:

Is Codename STEAM enhanced by the New 3DS features besides amiibo? This info is surprisingly hard to find online.

If you mean the additional cores, the only game to take advantage of them that's currently announced is Xenoblade.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

5er posted:

Alright that was weird enough. A week or so ago I described that I lost all my puzzle pieces in Mii Plaza after a system transfer from 3DS to N3DS. I just gave up on it.

Yesterday my n3ds said an update was available. I let it happen. And all my Plaza puzzle progress came back. Pretty good update.

Welp time to update.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

fleshweasel posted:

So new 3DS XL doesn't come with an AC adapter? How are these things powered normally, by disposable batteries or what?

No, li-ion just like most consumer electronics. the nu3ds doesn't come with an AC adapter both as a cost-cutting measure and because the install base for 3DS is already pretty large, meaning most people who are interested in the 3DS already have a charger.

Unfortunately for new adopters this means tracking down a charger for your DS separately from the system.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I preordered codename STEAM because a) I want the majora's mask pin, b) I was gonna buy it eventually anyway, and c) I am a corporate whore.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Turtlicious posted:

Is super glue flammable / meltable?

Please keep destroying your 3ds in the pursuit of Art

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Xenoverse has a lot in common with Monster Hunter, except instead of 'kill dinosaurs with huge sword, take parts and use to make bigger sword' it's 'kill Vegeta with huge laser beam, take his clothes and learn to shoot his even huger laser beam.' Also at least half the game's appeal is in making all your stupid loving DBZ fan characters from when you were twelve.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

greatn posted:

I think he's saying you get the item the first time you do the mission.

No, it's an MMO-like grind unfortunately. Drop rates vary from okay to atrocious. The RNG aspect is by far the worst part of the game.

Come see us in the Xenoverse thread if you're interested, be happy to go into more detail.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Toploading is not exactly ideal for a disc-based console, but the GCN got away with it because the build-quality is golden-age Nintendo good. The PS2 (any iteration, really) felt positively flimsy in comparison.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
If I'm plat on club nintendo, do I get two gifts or one? I was under the impression for some reason I'd get one for being gold and one for plat.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
It's pretty cool that they crammed a massive 100-hour 3D JRPG epic onto a handheld IMO. I haven't played it yet but I feel like I'd be willing to overlook some iffy polish just for the technical feat of Xenoblade 3D's existence.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Katana Gomai posted:

Hold the gently caress up. The IRS gives you the option of getting a loving gift card for your tax return? That's loving insane, America is insane.

I imagine a tax service does your taxes and puts the money onto a gift card. I work in food service and I take a lot of prepaid debit cards with logos of major "pay-us-to-do-your-taxes" companies around this time of year

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Does it feel good to cheat the system? I bet those aren't even real people on your precious "homepass" ? Streetpass was made with the idea that people could come together and share a common bond of video games and hats and this poo poo is pissing me off more and more, the more I read about these fake steetpasses.

Source your quotes, please

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Can't wait to spend the next seven pages arguing about loving xenoblade again

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Bravely default has a genuinely beautiful art style but as soon as the first battle started I turned it off, thats some 20 year old bs I don't need another second of.

You bought a final fantasy game and didn't even know it? Was this a completely blind purchase?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Either you use the 3ds's built in system transfer utility or call nintendo and they will migrate your nintendo network id over for you. It might be a good excuse to call nintendo CS if you never have before; they have geeky hold music and their CS agents are super nice.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Codename STEAM is a neat little strategy RPG/3rd person shooter hybrid with a cool comic-book aesthetic and idealized superhero versions of characters from classic fables and books. The gameplay is pretty fun, the art is cool, and the writing is just ok.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Justin_Brett posted:

I feel like if you're that sick of the actual game part you might as well just watch the rest of the story on youtube or something.

Phoenix mode eliminates this need, making the unwashed casual masses and those who just want to pair their srpg characters up and make them make babies demonstrably happier with the game while doing nothing to impact people who are good at the game. I don't see the downside.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I set one up a few weeks ago and Streetpass games are all my girlfriend and I have been playing. Be warned if you have other games you're playing, they will be forgotten.

This was me for like 3 weeks and I work a lot so I quit so I could get back to playing other stuff. Streetpass games are neat but should be quicker to play.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Nintendo handhelds aren't, like, military-grade hardware like the old Game Boys but the 3DS is still pretty loving solid compared to most consumer electronics.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
The stylus is a better right stick than the c-nub, believe me

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Abu Dave posted:

How is bravely default also?

It's a final fantasy game without an engaging plot and with nearly no sidequests that don't involve Go To Place, Kill Things.

There's a twist about two-thirds of the way in that makes a lot of people really mad, but I didn't make it there so I dunno what it is.

To its credit, it has a well-designed battle system and probably the best implementation of the job system outside of FFV, but for me that wasn't enough to carry it.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Bravely Default made me realize that I don't care as much about mechanics in JRPGS as I thought I did

If you sell me on the world and characters, even if the writing or localization are awful, I'll put up with some awful gameplay

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Astro7x posted:

What exactly is the Plague Knight DLC? All the stuff I read said a whole new campaign, I was expecting brand new levels, but it appears to be the same levels but with a new character that's much more difficult to control.

I was expecting something more I guess.

It's a completely rewritten plot with a highly technical character that's different in literally every possible way from Shovel Knight.

The levels after the intro stage are about 60% the same; all of the main 8 bad guys' levels have at least one new Plague Knight-specific wing added, and all of the little side levels and towns are totally different.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
So my wife's 3DS took a bit of a spill this morning. Nothing is severely damaged, but one of the screws on the top screen has popped loose. I'm gonna try and find a screwdriver small enough to see if it'll just screw back in later today, but in the event that it's not something I can fix, can someone post testimonials re: sending things into Nintendo for repairs? How long does it take, how much does it cost, things like that. I already know Nintendo's customer service is awesome.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The f2p Pokemon Rumble game is getting a retail release in Japan, it'll be out November 19:

The f2p version actually has a hard cap on the amount of real-world money you can spend - once you buy x amount of currency you unlock a mine and some other perks that basically auto-regen all your in-game junk - and the retail release seems to be a "pre-maxed" version of the f2p game without any of the microtransactions. All that being said, it's still a Pokemon Rumble game so who cares.

I caught about 60% of the pokemon in rumble world and got probably 7 or 8 hours of mindless button-mashing fun out of it. I liked it enough to spend $10 on gems so I could play it some more, and by the time I spent all of those I was done. It's a great game to play while you're sick.

What I'm saying is this game isn't Literally Cancer, it's just kinda simplistic. Little kids would probably like it a lot.

Toy Pokemon are cute and I would buy little pixely pokemon figures for my desk.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Anora posted:

Is there a set Amiibo card that comes with AC:HHD, or just a random one?

Seems to be a random one.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Majora's has the best side content and story of any Zelda game by far, and the dungeons are interesting design-wise but not very fun to actually play.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
There's a mainseries EO game on 3DS, right? At least one? If more than one, which one is best? I played EO3 and liked it but it was riiiight at the end of my old DS's lifecycle and I think I lost the cart while I was moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
If you guys could get Only One 3DS RPG, would you get SMTIV or EO4?