Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm getting back into Shin Megami Tensei IV after dropping it for a while. I kinda want to do the chaos route because I think Jonathan is lame. That`s pretty much my only argument. :buddy:

Some people in taverns say I'm a very polite fellow, which I'm guessing means I'm currently on a lawful route. How long do I have to try and reroute myself and how tricky will it be? I just got to the part where Walter left to go check out the true meaning of evil.

Second question: how much longer is this game I've been playing it for 40 hours already jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Honestly I'd say try for the neutral ending. Both the law and chaos endings are pretty bad and neutral has the most content. Though you do have quite a bit of time to change your alignment still. There are two areas that I think should come up pretty soon that have quite a few alignment decisions and then after that the big decision that locks your alignment.

Also if you haven't done the tournament sidequest yet you could do that and chose to kill everyone you defeat for more chaos points

What do you recommend to set me into neutral? I have no idea how far into law I am. I don't want to get down to neutral and then realize the big decision is going to swing me out of it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

The problem with SMTIV is that as far as I know there's no way to tell how far into one alignment you are. Just start making all the chaos decisions you can until the people at the bar aren't sure what to think of you or say something about you being chaotic or whatever, then try to maintain a balance.

Though the final 2 areas before the big decision don't have any bars to check your alignment at and you can't go back to Tokyo until the decision is made so just make sure to keep a save at the beginning of the second area (you'll know them when you see them) and go back to it if your alignment isn't what you want after the decision.

Welp, turns out as soon as I got out of the Ring of Gaea dungeons and got back to a bar, the dude says I'm a tough guy to get a handle on. I'm guessing that means I'm neutral.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Feel free to make good game recommendations along with why its a good game that should be recommended

Kid Icarus: Uprising is literally the best game on the system.

Anora posted:

So game talk, I'm playing SMTIV, and I am aweful at it, I guess. I need to find Navarre and the hooded figures along the way are destroying me. I seem to do alright in the battle, and then they just lance crit my party dead in a turn. What am I supposed to be doing to counter that?

It's been a while since I played through the intro dungeon of SMT4 but the general idea behind that game is abuse enemy weaknesses as much as possible. You get extra turns for hitting enemies with their weakness with a chance of that character getting a huge temporary hit/evasion/damage buff. The best strategy I've found is to strike first and make sure your enemies never live to see their first turn.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Looper posted:

You're incredibly wrong about any number of things but on this point you are absolutely correct

I like to keep people guessing about me

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Anora posted:

This does not work on bosses, especially when things are going good, they're at like one round from death and then they crit you, gaining additional attacks, killing a party member every crit.

Bosses are where you need to care less about steamrolling and more about your defenses. Fight a boss a couple times to see their moves or search the internet about what moves they have. Then, instead of picking powerful demons, make some demons that are as resistant or immune to those moves as possible. It'll be a slower fight if those demons aren't as strong but you'll be able to survive a lot easier.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

:flashfact: How Long to Beat puts FE: Awakening at 30 hours for the main story and 85+ for completionists.

I put in 300 hours and I haven't even beaten all the DLC yet. :colbert:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

I honestly hope you never buy Hyrule Warriors.

I put about 80-90 hours into Hyrule Warriors so far. Bought the DLC. Haven't even finished the basic adventure map yet. :buddy:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Doug Dinsdale posted:

While I can understand the appeal of digital--I went digital on stuff like Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing--though I never play anymore, Ace Combat, Culdcept, and other stuff I can play anytime (and being so plentiful they are just commodities anyway), I still much prefer having physical copies.

I can flip a 20+-year old copy of Earthbound for stupid money. Not so easy to do with digital.

counterpoints:
1) digital is very convenient and owns very hard
2) I don't think it's really fair to compare the resell value of a 20-year-old, cult-favorite, physical-only game with the games of today that often become devalued in a year due to digital sales and whatnot

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

i enjoy physical games because i enjoy owning video games and knowing that 30 years down the line (barring a fire or robbery or something) when all the online services are shut down i will be able to pull out my copy kid icarus uprising and play it and go "drat this owns and is still the best game on the system"

I don't see why you'd ever uninstall Kid Icarus: Uprising -- the best game in the entire 3DS library for the foreseeable future -- in the first place.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, for the sake of some spergs like me who have trouble deciding between physical and digital:

I plan on buying three games tomorrow; Alpha Sapphire, Majora's Mask, and Smash 3DS. Out of these three, which make the most sense to buy digitally? Part of me thinks none since they're all good games that will increase in value, but another part is telling me it'll be rear end switching between three new game cartridges.

I highly doubt that these three games will ever increase in value because they'll probably be manufacturing enough copies to last until the heat death of the universe. They will, at best, retain value.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

crocomire

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Kid Icarus was The Multiplayer Game for a little while but now it's Monster Hunter.

Play Monster Hunter.

There's still people actively playing Kid Icarus. Maybe not necessarily goons, but even beyond midnight I can hop online and get a full match.

get Kid Icarus-- it's the best game on the 3DS

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I work on video games with a bunch of nerds so I get lots of streetpasses.

shame I have nothing to do with them since I got all the puzzle pieces

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Eh, I liked getting all the puzzles because everyone gets the puzzle collection and now I'm basically a puzzle piece fairy spreading puzzle pieces everywhere and I can brag a lot about how I have all the puzzle pieces. Plus it was simple to hold R and mash my way through it. I'm not super interested in making my daily streetpasses take even longer to get through. Find Mii was torture enough.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Exioce posted:

I got some New Leaf Streetpasses yesterday, so I get to visit people's showroom houses. But then, if they change their houses I have to Streetpass them again to see the updates? I guess what I'm asking is, if you Streetpass someone once, does their appearance and stuff forever update via some Internet magic, or is it just a never-changing snapshot in time?

You have to wait until you streetpass with them again.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I just found my copy of Ocarina of time. This is rare now? Why? How much could/should I sell it for?

Currently sells around the $70 mark.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Best guess: OoT3D wasn't printed as much back when it came out because 3DS sales were still kinda lovely. Nowadays the 3DS is quite popular and Nintendo still has not printed many copies of OoT3D. Supply, demand.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

completely unrelated note, I have a copy of Ocarina of Time 3D if anyone wants to buy :smug:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm not ashamed to play my 3DS in public. I'm not proud, either. I just... play.

you'd be surprised how little people actually notice and/or care about you or what you're doing

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Terper posted:

my gosh i cannot wait for smt x fe news

I know that's a Wii U game but my excitement cannot be contained

I don't know why people still think SMT x FE is ever going to see the light of day, unless some crazy news came out for that game in the last few days while my internet was down.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Same but for Animal Crossing.

Same but with Star Fox 64 3D which I know is not an elite reward but if someone has the coins and doesn't want it...

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Sacred Cow posted:

I'm a scrub that only made it to Gold. Which is the best *shmo game?

I personally like Crashmo a lot more than Pushmo.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

littleorv posted:

Other than the investigation games and Layton vs. Wright I have played all of them.

you haven't missed out on anything

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wow, having gold only was kinda sucky. I picked mario 3 because I know it owns, and I'm not huge on puzzle games before you chastize me for not getting a *shmo game

I'm going to chastise you anyway because Crashmo owns bones

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Smoremaster posted:

Finally got onto the Nintendo Club site this morning after trying for 2 days and the flipnote 3d thing disappeared from my to-do list.

Mine did, too. Wasn't this supposed to be available until June or something?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Wow, Kid Icarus' tone and story really take a nosedive after the Aurum stuff kicks in. Bummer. :smith:

Please keep playing the best game on the Nintendo 3DS and post here so I can relive it vicariously through you.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Too many people recommending Boxboy. Gonna pick it up when I get home.

Cake Attack posted:

respect the vita

no thanks

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Lemming posted:

I swear to god that some day there will be a good game on a phone. There has to be, they make so many of the loving things that sooner or later someone will accidentally make a good game.

Ghost Trick

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

littleorv posted:

Don't listen to this dude. 999 is good and crazy. Not crazy good but just good and then you can play Virtue's Last Reward which is even more crazy and good.

999 is loving terrible. It's poo poo and dumb and everyone will swear up and down you need to beat it multiple times for it to make sense and then when do you and still say it's awful they'll call you an enormous idiot for beating a game you don't like multiple times.

It's like reading a loving book-- I want to see how it ends before completely writing it off, jesus christ!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

Was it the coffin ending?

The first ending I got was the coffin ending. Sucks that I thought things were starting to finally get interesting but NOPE.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm almost done world 5 of Boxboy and the game is still really easy.

Does this ever get challenging or...?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jarogue posted:

Didn't someone here say that Senran Kagura on the 3DS was different then the Vita game and was actually good?

so the vita has the big anime titties, right

the 3DS has those same anime titties but in three whole dimensions

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I like the nintendo 3ds

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fuzz posted:

But do you like the -`,new´,- Nintendo 3DS?

I have not used one but I would probably like it. I am waiting to see if any other sick limited edition ones come out so I can get my hopes up only for them to be dashed by scalpers.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Puzzle pieces are pretty easy to get when:
1) you get 6-10 streetpasses a day and
2) you don't spend your play coins on anything but filling out puzzles.

I have them all completed so until they put out more puzzles I'm basically the puzzle piece fairy.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the 3DS is good

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

kid icarus uprising is literally the best 3DS game and I won't hear any more poo poo talk about the controls

sit down in bed/on couch, prop pillow in lap, set 3DS on pillow and play

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I am windmill slamming my $10 on the table as soon as I get home to achieve full Stretchmo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Stretchmo runs at a noticeably lower framerate than Crashmo. :(

Not deal-breaking but it doesn't look as crisp.