Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I still don't know what good StreetPasses are for aside from the Eon Ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
In Dream Team, how annoying is the handholding? The RPG series is my favorite spin off, but I can see myself easily getting annoyed if the game just holds my hand 100% of the time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cless Alvein posted:

So Best Buy twitter is saying everyones 3DS is still just sitting in the warehouse and they're too busy jacking off to send them out. However calling or email support has this to say instead:

So who the gently caress knows what is going on with Best Buy right now.

This sounds like Nintendo either said they'd have x amount of consoles or Best Buy bought x amount and only got y or something.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Popehoist posted:

my new 3DSXL is cool and all, but I can't help wishing I had got the normal one instead. This feels a bit too big and the huge screens only seem to highlight the 3DS's poor graphical power

Sounds like my love life!

But honestly, you'll grow to love it. I had a normal 3DS and going to the XL was really weird since I had no reason to play it and the screens were enormous. However, I saw a regular 3DS in the wild after some months of having the XL and was surprised at how tiny it was.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I've never put my 3DS in my pocket aside from showing that I had big pockets. But yeah, I get you.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
New Nintendo 3DS Chat: Yes, you want the New 3DS

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Phone posted:

I have a 3DS XL right now and I'm looking to probably get a Japanese New 3DS non-XL (or LL for those in the know). Anybody have an idea how the Japanese eShop works and if I can just buy a bunch of pre-loaded cash cards to pick up games that way?

I'm pretty sure you can even just use an American credit card.

However, you can't system transfer between regions.

Technogeek posted:

I think the trade-in deal still runs through the weekend, so an XL will be worth $100 if you put it towards a New 3DS.

It actually ends tomorrow (15th)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nolgthorn posted:

I have a normal 3DS and I want to confirm for everone living in the USA that you screwed up and convinced Japan that you hate anything good. You just want to eat Mcdonalds and watch political commentary by Fox contributors on the biggest screens that are available.

They will have to answer to the wrath of all of my Club Nintendo surveys demanding the regular 3DS be brought to America.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Please put "turn off auto brightness" in the thread title

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone else feel like the New 3DS screens are noticeably better? I feel like I've gone from a Gamecube over composite to component.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

corn in the bible posted:

Is there some repository of friend codes somewhere

There is, but the way the 3DS works, you both need to add each other to be added, so it's better to just add people naturally.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Looper posted:

Am I allowed to post in here if I have an old 3DS?

only if you feel bad about it

e: woah, ok

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

loudog999 posted:

I've been hoarding all of my 3ds games waiting until the new one came out. Now that it has I have way too many games and no ideas where to start. I'm looking at either link between worlds, fantasy life, mh4u, or Majora's mask. It's a good problem to have.

You should start with 3D Land

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Soul Glo posted:

Link Between Worlds is the best Zelda game since LTTP.

Soooooo.

e: I'm playing MM using the zeldadungeon.net walkthrough and am having fun when I never even got to the first temple on the N64. I think I'll end up liking this more than OOT (which I've never finished, though a 3DS copy is in the mail).

I have this theory that OoT is simply not a good game and is only so well-liked across boards because it's the first 3D Zelda. Majora's Mask is emo as hell and trippy and weird, so even if the gameplay was bad, people would say the tone carries it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Looper posted:

Yeah I'm not interested in a N3DS XL at all right now

jesus, can we get this guy banned?

cp91886 posted:

I bought a New 3ds, the last one within 40 miles of me with about 10 seconds to spare. The people right behind me came up asking for one. Suckers. Anyway, I've never owned any 3ds and I'm loving it so far. Should I just be going balls out with this 3d slider or gradually increasing it? Or just adjust it on a game by game basis? I've only played 3d land, which looks amazing with it, and Ocarina which didn't seem so hot. Don't know if it's just my eyes needing time to adjust or if some games just struggle with it.

The 3D slider is/should be a one-time setting thing. Like, it doesn't make things more 3D, it's there so you can adjust it to see things in 3D in a way that looks better for you. I can't explain it perfectly, but when I wear glasses, all the way up is better, but without them, I have it at about the mid-level.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

axeil posted:

Every Gamestop in the DC area has sold out of New 3DSes and I'm super upset about it because for only $100 I'm definitely interested but I can't justify buying one for $200. The head-tracking is really the only reason I'd get one.

Sell your 3DS XL on Craigslist.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Japanese claw machine game where you get stickers by playing. Those stickers can then be applied to your home menu however you want. We don't get it because are tough, hardcore, and love guns too much to deal with stickers.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The original Zelda XL looks dumb as hell. The MM limited edition is swell.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Heran Bago posted:

For homebrew and custom themes Ninjhax works. It requires a firmware version between 4.0.0-7 and 9.2.0-20.

For backups, only the Sky 3DS and its clone cards work on any firmware version. Do not download games off of the internet and play them online or you will get a system and NNID ban. You can not currently make backups of your own games with a New 3DS, you will need a normal 3DS on firmware 4.1-9.2 and no extra hardware.

Region Free or "Region Three" does not currently work on any New 3DS.

Gateway carts, its clones, and all of the related features including emulated NAND do not currently work on New 3DS. An update is in the works and has been seen functioning in closed beta back in November.

How the heckofits do custom themes work with Ninjhax but not backups? Don't thy require the same level of access?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Best Buy was also told they'd get more Gamecube adapters for Smash a week after initial release.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

eddiewalker posted:

I mean, it's cool to be unhelpful and everything, but in the actual 3DS menu options it just lists win7/8 as "verified supported clients" and in the Nintendo howto it just looks like a windows file share, which is what smb:// is on a Mac.

Thanks.

I'm not trying to be an rear end, but the fact that we use Macs could be the sole reason why it's not working.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I want to like it so bad but the text kinda ruins it for me, I dunno I'm a dummy I guess :(

i guess you're a big dummy since the mm xl has no text

(You're thinking of the MH one)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kaubocks posted:

I put in 300 hours and I haven't even beaten all the DLC yet. :colbert:

I honestly hope you never buy Hyrule Warriors.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You should buy games digitally if you want digital games

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'd buy physigital if they sold little codes inside of the original boxes with manuals.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

flyboi posted:

Taiko No Tatsujin 1/2

You're a cool dude.

Everyone should import Taiko and play it using Region Three.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Popehoist posted:

I went ahead and emailed Nintendo customer support about my c-stick, off the basis of that one goon who said he could do full circles with his. If it is busted I'd like to nip it in the bud early, although going without monhan for a few days will be awful :(

The c-stick itself doesn't move, really. I mean, it does an incredibly small amount, but it doesn't move the way a normal control stick would.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Ah, sorry. It appears I cannot read.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Willo567 posted:

Since most Gamestops seem to be out of New 3DS XL's, would my best bet probably be somewhere like Best Buy?

I think the list of places with possible units starts with Walmart, has Target next, then Best Buy, and finally Gamestop.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, for the sake of some spergs like me who have trouble deciding between physical and digital:

I plan on buying three games tomorrow; Alpha Sapphire, Majora's Mask, and Smash 3DS. Out of these three, which make the most sense to buy digitally? Part of me thinks none since they're all good games that will increase in value, but another part is telling me it'll be rear end switching between three new game cartridges.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kaubocks posted:

I highly doubt that these three games will ever increase in value because they'll probably be manufacturing enough copies to last until the heat death of the universe. They will, at best, retain value.

Pokemon games always increase in value, and looking at the way OoT was handled, I can see Majora's going up in a few months. Smash, however, may not since the 3DS version is seen as a watered down Wii U version.

Honestly, I'm sure why I care. I have intention to ever sell these games.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wouldn't bother with Smash 3DS if you have a Wii U unless you absolutely need portable Smash.

Coincidentally, this is what i just decided. I think it might even be a CN Platinum reward, so I can't go for it now. I'll be picking up physical copies of AS and Majora's Mask.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The 3D on a new XL looks amazing. I dunno what the hell Nintendo did to change it, but it feels a lot more "real" than before. The 3D used to work in reverse, where things appeared to have more depth, but on the new, it looks like that pop upwards like they do in 3D movies.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why would you want Plex on your 3DS when you probably have a smartphone with an actual good screen

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Meta Ridley posted:

So right now I have an (old) 3DS XL, that I basically gave to my wife. It is the Zelda edition that came with ALBW installed.

I want to buy the New 3DS XL, but is there any way to transfer Zelda from the old system to the new one, but leave the saves for Pokemon/Animal Crossing (which are my wife's games basically and I don't want her save files). Or are the save files for Pokemon X / Animal Crossing on the game card, and not the SD card, and I don't have to worry about that and can just do a System Transfer?

Physical cart saves are on the carts.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I have a few PNY cards that I haven't had any problems with. However, I also have a few off brand Chinese cards that I haven't had problems with either.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Louisgod posted:

Do the old Hori XL screen protectors fit on the N3DS?

e: Also, best/cheapest 32 GB micro SD card on Amazon right now?

Old XL and New XL has the same physical screen size.

Also, PNY is having an Amazon deal right now. $15 for a 32.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Red Robin Hood posted:

I used to work there. We NEVER put a product back on the shelf unless it was returned and obvious to the service center that it wasn't opened. They very likely will not give you a discount but it doesn't hurt to ask. If you go and make a fuss make sure you ask for an LOD (Leader On Duty).

There's no way to tell. The new doesn't have security tape.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
However, like the XL CPP, it runs for $20 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Ninte...=item1e99ef1beb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
They should release a revised version.