Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

Welp, turns out as soon as I got out of the Ring of Gaea dungeons and got back to a bar, the dude says I'm a tough guy to get a handle on. I'm guessing that means I'm neutral.

Yes, you're neutral. I think the easiest way to get the Neutral ending is by leaning slightly more towards Law, then picking Chaos options at the final decision. Because of the way the alignment system works, it's entirely possible to be too Neutral to get the Neutral ending and it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

Why the gently caress is Ocarina of Time 3DS $50 used (45 if you're a pro member!) at GameStop?

Pretty sure I bought this game for < $30 on eShop a few months ago, and I know it's less than fifty on there. Do GameStop think that's the only way to buy the game anymore and they have the last copies in existence?

GameStop price gouges all the drat time. I saw copies of Pokemon Heart Gold going for goddamn $50 like 2 months ago. I think part of the problem though is that OoT3D might actually be out of print now, so it might be getting rarer. It's still pretty lovely though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Technogeek posted:

The crazy thing is they aren't even consistent about it. I found a copy of Knights in the Nightmare, with case and manual, for :10bux: when Gamestop was doing the "try out the New 3DS in person" thing on the 7th.

Gamestop's pretty much become a lovely ebay reseller where prices are high on stuff they know is popular (Xenoblade, Metroid Prime, actually just anything Nintendo) and prices are low for stuff that might not be as popular. Either way, don't buy from GameStop, just stick to Amazon and the eShop and you'll be much happier for it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

What the gently caress kind of mail service would leave an obviously heavy and expensive package on somebody's porch when they're not home to sign for it?!?! That sounds like an excellent way for it to get stolen.

USPS left my Majora's Mask 3D Collector's Edition on my porch and didn't actually alert anyone to it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

There is a god, my MM3DS finally shipped.

Edit: Though since it just shipped I'm not getting tracking until probably tomorrow.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

io_burn posted:

So is there a happy ending or a sad ending for all those people who had preordered from Best Buy but hadn't had their units shipped being told both "oh UPS hasn't picked them up yet" and "oh that's on backorder?" Now that it's Monday, which did it turn out to be?

Not even 5 posts up. Though to be fair I didn't specify that I ordered from Best Buy and so far I'm the only one.

ChaosArgate posted:

There is a god, my MM3DS finally shipped.

Edit: Though since it just shipped I'm not getting tracking until probably tomorrow.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Louisgod posted:

Do the old Hori XL screen protectors fit on the N3DS?

e: Also, best/cheapest 32 GB micro SD card on Amazon right now?

They should. I'm using this one right now in my non-new 3DS XL with an adapter and so far it's doing me good.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class-Adapter-MB-MP32DA-AM/dp/B00IVPU786/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424115200&sr=8-2&keywords=32+gb+micro+sd+card

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

They'll probably be unique files. NFC chips have a pathetically tiny amount of space as is.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Another thing to note about Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is that the game is broken up into different missions, so you're never exploring the mansion completely in one sitting. You get dropped into a certain spot and get told to do a certain thing and you're done once you accomplish it, kinda like how Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker is compared to the other Metal Gear games. If that turns you off, then you probably shouldn't get it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's ok, Nintendo's 3D slider is designed to accommodate eyes of all sorts, so you can best feel comfortable playing at whatever depth you prefer.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel like the name probably works a lot better in Japan, I was expecting them to change it to something else for the rest of the world

That makes a lot of sense actually.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

My n3DS order from Best Buy's been shipped, but the shipping seems to be delayed because of inclement weather. gently caress this storm.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Those are all Amiibos. N3DSXLs have sold out entirely.

n3DSes are held up by that strike too.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Flint_Paper posted:

That's a point. I've got a 32gb micro SD card on the way. Will that suffice? I've heard mixed things about it not supporting anything bigger etc. Unless I'm an idiot who misinterprets things.

32 GB is plenty. I was doing fine with a 16 GB and had plenty of space. I upgraded to a 32 though because it was so cheap!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I know I've seen a lot of people confidently saying "this is what Nintendo thinks" but I just can't recall any statements out of them.

I mean, I'd believe it if there were technical issues but some of the ones people bring up don't seem like massive obstacles. Don't downloadable Wii games on the WiiU function similarly, with an actual Wii chip taking over the system and turning off some console functions?

Pretty much. The difference there though is that Nintendo is ok with that because you'd have to do that anyway to play your Wii disks on Wii U. That, and the Wii U doesn't have any features like streetpass to worry about not having on.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

My MM n3DS has finally arrived. :toot:

Too bad it showed up the day after I beat the game depicted.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Enallyniv posted:

Any recommendations for a Pokémon game? I just bought my first 3DS (nuXL) yesterday and I'm not sure if I should err towards the X/Y or OR/AS. There's not much nostalgia value in the Gen 3 remakes as I skipped that gen so the playing field is a little more leveled.

Go X or Y then. ORAS derives a lot of enjoyment from nostalgia and aside from that, the Pokemon selection isn't as diverse, the game is ridiculously easy and it still adheres to the old design philosophy where you need to carry like 5 HM moves on you at once.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ragequit posted:

I'm the same. I am still waiting for a new grid tactics game where I have a handful of characters that have changing jobs with large skillsets, status effects, etc., rather than FE where it's pick a weapon or spell or two to whittle down the enemy on boring battlefields.

The newest FE has characters that have different classes and large skillsets based on them. :v: There are also status effects but they're probably not what you're looking for and it's still largely FE.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Why on earth would you buy 2 DSi's if you weren't aware of the DSiXL?

What if his first DSi broke?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

Given Amiibo in imagining right now how wildly their faceplates would be selling if they were released here and word got it that they're hard to get on Twitter. Those things are basically pure profit margin I would think.

Also I have heard people say you can't do SNES games on 3DS because it's higher resolution than the 3DS screen, but I watched a YouTube video of some SNES games on my 3DS the other day, and you know what? The scaling looked loving fine. This is a business strategy choice, not a "can't be done" choice.

You are really adamant about emulation options that are just good enough rather than being fully featured and 99% accurate like Nintendo wants. Accurate SNES emulation on PC requires like a 3+ GHz processor. People have gotten SNES emulation to work via homebrew, sure, but I'm pretty sure it was only "good enough."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Basically, if you need to keep a compatibility list for emulation purposes, your solution has already failed Nintendo's standards.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

Because Nintendo doesn't understand file systems

What are you talking about? Each VC release has its own emulator packed in because each one is modified slightly to make it more accurate to the original. Sure they could just make an SNES app and have the games download to that, but then you'd be unable to do some low level modifications to make sure each game is super accurate. This is why some games don't work properly when you inject them into SNES VC channels; because the tweaks done for one game gently caress up the compatibility with others.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

spasticColon posted:

Does the system transfer require an internet connection? I ask this because my internet has been flaky the past few days so if the Internet cuts out the system transfer won't screw up will it?

Yes it'll need an internet connection.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's not hard to strip a screw if you apply too much force and/or screw it improperly. That said, turning your wrist gently and feeling whether or not it's being raised higher should be an intuitive thing and I hope all of you who somehow hosed it up feel ashamed for ruining your backplate. :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fire Emblem is pretty anime and it's one of the best games on the system.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Lemming posted:

I have + beat twewy, I don't have BIS but I need to beat PIT first, and the second game I dunno man I don't like RPG's that much. I play a few hours and get bored and stop. That's kind of why I still haven't beat PIT.

Edit: For reference I tried the Bravely Default demo and after opening the menu and looking at the stats I quit and never opened it again.

PiT is soulless and tedious and unfun and not worth your time. Just skip to BiS instead.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's one of the only things I actually like about PiT. If you poke around the LP forum you can find a thread where I get more and more tired of playing the game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I grabbed Dream Team digitally for full price and loved it. The handholdiness was kind of a chore, but the game is charming enough that I'm willing to overlook that (the Massiff bros are some of the greatest characters in any video game ever!) and the battle system is amazing with how complex and dynamic fights can get. The boss fights in particular are the best in the series and I was very satisfied with that $40.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Chrono Trigger is great but there are tons of weirdos super obsessed with it and make it out to be the greatest thing to happen to mankind since sliced bread. It's definitely worth playing, but not obsessing about.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Healbot posted:

Chrono Trigger is one of the few instances where Squares absolute best talent got to work together and create one of the JRPG greats.

On the other hand, didn't that same talent go on to do Blue Dragon like 12 years later and that game was kinda mediocre at best? I vaguely remember that game having advertising pushing the reuniting of the Chrono Trigger team but I might be imagining that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Just give it a few days, maybe a week. More copies are surely coming in. If I can still see new copies of Fire Emblem, there's no way in hell they're going to have only one printing of Majora's Mask.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

epsilon posted:

I don't have them turned on as I mostly browse on mobile, what is it? I hope it says my new catchphrase.

You can just tap the arrow besides your name to see it. Yes, it's redtext of your new catchphrase.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If any aussies are after the Xenoblade faceplates, They're now up for preorder at EB Games. Also if you preorder Xenoblade 3DS at EB or JB, you apparently get a free Xenoblade Home theme.

edit: It will look like this, apparently;

I like the folder design, that's pretty nice.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

MGS should be played in release order and not chronological order.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Apple ear pods are pretty great, they'll run you about $30 usually but I think you can get them on sale from Amazon for $20 sometimes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Trilogy on iOS is actually a really bad port. The 3DS version is supposedly much much better.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Red Robin Hood posted:

Does anyone have experience with these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...YB6UG6KYXQQPI2R

Anyone use it on their old XL?

That's not gonna fit on an old XL.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Do the Amiibos unlock the character for that specific stage or can I borrow one and just have the character?

I think you're supposed to rescan the character if they happen to die, but that's it I think. I'm not entirely sure though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don't either because these things were designed to be on at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, I just researched it. I didn't realize it retailed for the same as the normal system. So people are paying $200+ for some paint.

The system itself is $200 though. The MM system doesn't cost extra or anything unless you're buying from scalpers.