Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

hey yall i hacked my new 3ds a few weeks ago using the popular guide, and i was wondering if i can get japanese official themes onto my us 3ds now? i know hacking it removes the region locks on games (or i suppose on the 3ds itself), but i wasn't sure if that applied to official themes as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ignis posted:

I think this link should be safe to share since these aren't available legally anymore, these are QR codes you can install with Anemone.
https://hshop.erista.me/c/themes

ah sweet, thats the one im using! :) is it possible to install jp themes from there onto a us 3ds?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ignis posted:

Yeah they're region agnostic and are managed through Anemone, should be fine

ahh ty!! 💃

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ahh before i sleep, i should crosspost this issue that happened earlier just in case too!

Booky posted:

speaking of 3dses and before i go to bed, when i was setting a theme in anemone tonight, twice i had a mysterious crash occur. the first time i didn't take a pic or save a crash dump, but the second one i did and im p sure its the same as the first one; i think it didn't happen all the time too? would anyone know how to fix this? i tried google but it all seemed like it was just if it crashed elsewhere

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Booky posted:

ahh before i sleep, i should crosspost this issue that happened earlier just in case too!

good news, i figured out Why this was happening (another crosspost for any future references)

Booky posted:

oh my god i think i figured out Why that crash was happening in anemone

i followed this "charger" persons steps on anemone sd card folder stuff yadda yadda (tho it was only after i installed themes sometimes, not cause i booted up my 3ds or w/e)
and then i tested it in anemone and the first time the install worked and the second time i got a crash (the same one as the pic)... and im positive its because the second time i hit Home and not start, to exit
if you hit start after installing the theme then it brings u to the software closed screen and then you can hit home again to go back and it usually installs fine (unless afaik if you do a mix and match of bgm and no bgm installs of stuff then if you do that then the bgm gets Weird and u can just turn it off and on again in the home screen or just at the software closed bit to fix it)

jesus christ i took off the backplate with my screwdriver and got out my sd card reader for This, the dumbest solution ever :shepface:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Unexplained errors like this are usually caused by the sd card. For some reason hacked 3DSeses are really sensitive about what card you use.

i see... mines just the plain 32gb sandisk type, i believe

im pretty sure it was also cause i was pressing home and not start to close out anemone after changing a theme, also, since i haven't had anything else like that besides the time i tried out RA injects for 2 fan tled nes games (kernel panic, or something like that) - the solution was to use a diff emu for those :v:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

they should make a 3ds 3 or smth, the 3ds was extremely win and it kinda sucks they're scarce now

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

having a save of a game in twilight menu++ and then the same game as a ds cartridge in the 3ds doesn't affect the save in the cartridge right? im just double checking but im like, 99% sure nothing weird happens?

also yeah the new 3ds putting the sd card behind the backplate is :psyduck:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Commander Keene posted:

No, Twilight Menu redirects all read/write requests from the cartridge slot to the SD card, you won't do anything to cartridge games you have in the slot.

sweet, ty! i realized i worded my q a bit weird (it should be "a game in twilight menu and then the same game in the 3ds as a cartridge") but im assuming thats still the same answer :v:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Heath posted:

So I finally bit on it and put CFW on my 3DS. But I'll admit that I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do with my newfound powers. I want to try out that Virtual Boy emulator, but aside from things like NES and SNES games and all that, what else is there? Can I do N64 stuff? I really just want to play Legend of the Mystical Ninja. Are there homebrew 3DS games that are worth a poo poo?

you can play gba games too, and also get custom themes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Saoshyant posted:

For anyone who has a CFW 3DS (everyone reading this thread basically), there's a project to archive as much Spotpass content as possible before the servers are shut down. It's basically just running an app (cia or 3ds version available) to upload whatever info's cached on your systems.

There's a thread with more info on the retro subforums, but it's gone mostly unnoticed.

ah yeah i heard about that on twitter (this is a lil thread about it)!! the github link here thats also in the twitter thread has a step by step process to do it and with cfw its hilariously easy, took me like 5 mins :)

https://twitter.com/StreetPassLove/status/1772639723888189913